22under22 Clark, Coffield and King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

22under22 Clark, Coffield and King

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Re: 22under22 Clark, Coff so far

We continually berate Richo for drafting McCartin but never praise him for picking these two guys - nor for Battle, Marshall, Paton, King, Wilkie, Bytel...

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

freely wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 10:17am We continually berate Richo for drafting McCartin but never praise him for picking these two guys - nor for Battle, Marshall, Paton, King, Wilkie, Bytel...
I think most of us have never berated Richo for McCartin. There might be a handful only who are repeat-posting that myth (about AR drafting McCartin).
Richo was persuaded by Bains and Elshaug - they made the case for him.

I reckon Richo got a lot right - and plenty of players have had their breakout years under him.
Fair is fair.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 22 Sep 2020 10:27am, edited 1 time in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Richo's failure was his gameplan.

Change my mind.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yeah nah, bloody little beauty was Richo. No doubt about it. Ripper bloody bloke

Anyhow, thanks again to Richo for helping develop Coff and Clark by picking them for a game in the seniors and continually dropping them back to the seconds

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 10:17am We continually berate Richo for drafting McCartin but never praise him for picking these two guys - nor for Battle, Marshall, Paton, King, Wilkie, Bytel...
I don’t think Richo had anything to do with the recruitment of Battle, Marshall, Paton, King, Wilkie, or Bytel. If you have any evidence to the contrary, please provide a link

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Fair is fair, scollop.
Steele, Battle, Membrey, Roberton, Austin, etc... had their best years or breakout years under AR.

Clark came back a better player - after his stint in the 2's - so AR made the right call, there.

Anyway, BR didn't play Battle at the start of the year - and Savage has been savaged this year.

:wink:

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I don't berate Richo for picking McCartin - Elshaugh and Bains did. I don't praise Richo for drafting Battle, Marshall, Paton, King, Wilkie, Bytel - that was Elshaugh and Chris Liberatore.

I berate Richo for barely playing Clark and Coff and Battle and Paton and as for Marshall ... this is the numpty that thought Lewis P was a better option in R1 against GCS last year. It's a complete accident Marshall became a gun young ruck - it's only because Cho wasn't able to pick one of Lewy or Longer (due to concussion) instead for R2

Go you red, black & white warriors
samoht
Saintsational Legend

Gresham and Clark played plenty of games in their very first year under AR - as 18 or 19 year olds - so that's not true. They went straight into the bullring.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 22 Sep 2020 11:03am, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 10:36am Yeah nah, bloody little beauty was Richo. No doubt about it. Ripper bloody bloke

Anyhow, thanks again to Richo for helping develop Coff and Clark by picking them for a game in the seniors and continually dropping them back to the seconds
Yeah, f*** Richo. He's been at it again this year with Byrnes, Bytel and Phillips, and won't play Langlands and Clavarino. And the less said about him playing Geary and Ross in preference to Webster, Savage , McKenzie and Austin,the better. Real prick that Richo. :wink:

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Don't get in the way of a good story, saynta.
The Savage truth hurts.

Seriously , though - it's the recruiters that hold the keys. Forget the coaches.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

samoht wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 11:01am Gresham and Clark played plenty of games in their very first year under AR - as 18 or 19 year olds - so that's not true. They went straight into the bullring.
(Partially) right you are - that's true with Clark. Not so with Battle, Coff and Paton. The Marshall one is even more undeniable.

Go you red, black & white warriors
johnearljames
Club Player

They were ripper picks by Alan. Groomed them well.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: 22under22 Clark, Coffield and King

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Don’t know that I’ve read anyone put the blame on drafting Paddy on Richo

Richo cops it for being boring, an inferior tactician, a shocking developer of players, making the same idiotic mistakes over and over again, playing guys out of position, favouring select players, being unable to attract good players from other clubs...
Most generally concede that he was actively harmful to our list and our best season in 8 years occurred directly after he left with a marked improvement in skill, decision making, game plan and attractiveness of club...

He never struck me as a meddler in other people’s jobs though...
Doubt he’d really want to get involved in such things to be honest. I mean what aspect of his performance suggested he was super detail oriented / focused guy.

He played Acres and Steele in the ruck and Marshall got his break out opportunities after Longer, Hickey and Pierce went down

johnearljames
Club Player

3 x great draft picks that will have 200+ game careers with the Saints.

Great recruitment.
Great development.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Rocket
Club Player

Paton stuff!!!!!! Underrated

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Paton unlucky. He's been very good.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
freely
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 1:19pm Don’t know that I’ve read anyone put the blame on drafting Paddy on Richo

Richo cops it for being boring, an inferior tactician, a shocking developer of players, making the same idiotic mistakes over and over again, playing guys out of position, favouring select players, being unable to attract good players from other clubs...
Most generally concede that he was actively harmful to our list and our best season in 8 years occurred directly after he left with a marked improvement in skill, decision making, game plan and attractiveness of club...

Doubt he’d really want to get involved in such things to be honest. I mean what aspect of his performance suggested he was super detail oriented / focused guy.

He played Acres and Steele in the ruck and Marshall got his break out opportunities after Longer, Hickey and Pierce went down
Short memory? Why did I find myself defending him here then?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 2:47pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 1:19pm Don’t know that I’ve read anyone put the blame on drafting Paddy on Richo

Short memory? Why did I find myself defending him here then?
Seems a bit of a stretch to me... one poster and an out of context newspaper article.

A very clear/near overwhelming consensus of forumites, including people that have very little positive things to say about Richo like myself, generally attribute his selection to Bains/Els etc rather than Richo.

That article you posted by Emma Quayle did the rounds here at the time too.

Ok... I’ll concede that there may be an odd poster that has done this... but my point is that it’s hardly the narrative and doesn’t really warrant a defence.

There are forumites on here that thought even in his B&F years that Jack Steven wasn’t good enough to be on an AFL list or that Nick Riewoldt should have played predominantly as a defender. Doesn’t really warrant discussion

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Farg me! Here we go again. Another tedious and petty thread about past coaches.

Septic and Pollop, you have to let it go, you are stuck in an angry loop and it's not healthy.

Before we know it we'll be going into great detail about how it was wrong RL didn't play Armo in a grand final over 10 years ago.

It's not healthy boys. Lets discuss anything else but your hatred for past coaches. It ruins this site.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Farg me! Here we go again. Another tedious and petty thread about past coaches.

Septic and Pollop, you have to let it go, you are stuck in an angry loop and it's not healthy.

Before we know it we'll be going into great detail about how it was wrong RL didn't play Armo in a grand final over 10 years ago.

It's not healthy boys. Lets discuss anything else but your hatred for past coaches. It ruins this site.

johnearljames
Club Player

Yeah, what is all the go with the ex coach bashing?

Fact is. Alan Richo had a big hand in the development of King, Coffield, Clark, Paton, Long, Marshall, Battle, Billings, Gresham, etc.

It should be noted.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Congratulations to our guys but good grief who picks this team

Shai Bolton and Caleb Serong not picked is outrageous

And Rankine in is equally outrageous, yes he is going to be a gun but a couple of highlights does not make a season (and I have watched plenty of suns games)

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 3:05pm Farg me! Here we go again. Another tedious and petty thread about past coaches.

Shut your latrine mouth Mr Lavatory Vortex

We were replying to others who started the "Credit to Richo bs"

How about you stick to the thread topic and don't bother with the name calling, twisting of the truth, hatred, righteousness and the I'm better than you attitude...you can leave that up to us unhealthy minded lot