Training today ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Training today ...

Mark Stevens on CH7 reported that: -

Jack Steele didn't train at all (rested) but will train in the main session on Friday
Battle didn't train (no reason offered)
Lonie's knee not great and will struggle to get up for the elimination final
Coffield left early to ice his ankle but will be ok

Jones trained strongly

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training today ...

Thought Lonie may have been in trouble getting up for the elimination final..

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

That’s a shame for Lonie. Thought he played an excellent game.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 23 Sep 2020 7:53pm Thought Lonie may have been in trouble getting up for the elimination final..
I reckon its the knee (medial) he hurt last year, will be touch and go.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Agree it's a shame re Lonie. On the plus side, selectors spared from making a call on Carlisle/Kent.

sks023
Club Player

freely wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 10:45am Agree it's a shame re Lonnie. On the plus side, selectors spared from making a call on Carlisle/Kent.
Suggestions that Carlisle might be the unlucky one leaves me scratching my head
GWS kicked 30 points against us Thursday FFS... Wont be tinkering with the back line

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Kent ffs. Bring in Parker. Anyone else.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 7:30pm Kent ffs. Bring in Parker. Anyone else.
Don’t think Parker is the answer but me too re Kent.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 10:45am Agree it's a shame re Lonie. On the plus side, selectors spared from making a call on Carlisle/Kent.
Kent was never in fear of losing his spot, was a big reason we won against GWS. A team high i50s of 6 and 6th highest metres gained.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 8:36pm
freely wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 10:45am Agree it's a shame re Lonie. On the plus side, selectors spared from making a call on Carlisle/Kent.
Kent was never in fear of losing his spot, was a big reason we won against GWS. A team high i50s of 6 and 6th highest metres gained.
Team high clangers too 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Lonie apparently getting more than one substantial offer from other clubs.

Decent money and years that we wont match.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Kent stays in , is the right call

(fwtw)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 1:48am Lonie apparently getting more than one substantial offer from other clubs.

Decent money and years that we wont match.
I think Lonie is the player we should be trying to keep. We are a better side when he is playing. His competitiveness, aggression and intensity lifts the side.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 4:28am Kent stays in , is the right call

(fwtw)
Couldn't agree more. He ain't the flashy type, he's our role player and he's doing it well. Every team needs em. The few clueless fans that judge him on goals are misguided in the belief he is a small forward. He's anything but, he's the guy that two way runs between HB and F50 to help the defenders off half back and then press forward to link up to get the i50. Occasionally he gets a goal and that's a bonus.

Role player.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 8:04am

(fwtw)
Couldn't agree more. He ain't the flashy type, he's our role player and he's doing it well. Every team needs em. The few clueless fans that judge him on goals are misguided in the belief he is a small forward. He's anything but, he's the guy that two way runs between HB and F50 to help the defenders off half back and then press forward to link up to get the i50. Occasionally he gets a goal and that's a bonus.

Role player.
Hmmm. Watching replays of Butler's highlights, there have been a few where he leads up to the wing, makes a neat possession, runs diagonally to a hot spot and crumbs a freakish goal.

I like that role better.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 8:13am

(fwtw)

Role player.
Hmmm. Watching replays of Butler's highlights, there have been a few where he leads up to the wing, makes a neat possession, runs diagonally to a hot spot and crumbs a freakish goal.

I like that role better.
Me too. But he is Buttler. I have a man crush on him. The best in the business in that role. That is why he is the last in the chain link up. Players lik Seb and Kent are going to look to get it to him.

If you have a look at Kents and Sebbys "assisted meters gained", (yes that is a stat that Ratts loves), they usually are very high for it and especially when we win. Remeber Ratts asking Sebby to adjust his game over summer to be the player that kicks within his flags, well Kent too, they just have to defend, press, extract and distribute to the silk. So yeah, they don't have the tools (polish) to finish with the goal, better to give to the guy who can, Hill, Butts and Billings.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Assisted Meters Gained

(AMG).

So if a player disposes of the ball backwards 10 meters to a player who takes it forward 50m, that player will have an AGM stat of 40m

Ratts uses this stat extensively to measure his set plays and Kent and Sebby are the best proponents.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 8:33am
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 8:13am

(fwtw)

Role player.

I like that role better.
Me too. But he is Buttler. I have a man crush on him. The best in the business in that role. That is why he is the last in the chain link up. Players lik Seb and Kent are going to look to get it to him.

If you have a look at Kents and Sebbys "assisted meters gained", (yes that is a stat that Ratts loves), they usually are very high for it and especially when we win. Remeber Ratts asking Sebby to adjust his game over summer to be the player that kicks within his flags, well Kent too, they just have to defend, press, extract and distribute to the silk. So yeah, they don't have the tools (polish) to finish with the goal, better to give to the guy who can, Hill, Butts and Billings.
Yes. Ratten is a genius. Ross's total metres gained has gone from ranking 38 to 189, comparatively, we have gone from 14th to 6th, while Brad Hill our highest ranked mid, is ranked 44.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The formula used by Ratten to sharpen Ross' AGM was TMG - EMG = AMG.
So effectively, Ross was asked to stop the 50m bombs while running laterally away from pressure and pass the ball to someone who can kick. Genius.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 9:09am The formula used by Ratten to sharpen Ross' AGM was TMG - EMG = AMG.
So effectively, Ross was asked to stop the 50m bombs while running laterally away from pressure and pass the ball to someone who can kick. Genius.
My favourite part last week was when Ross was running thru the centre square under zero pressure with two open targets in the F50, and he kicks it straight to the one GWS player between them.

Genius.

What's Ratt's opinion on 'meters gained' that go straight to the opposition? I think Ross might be high up on that list too!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
johnearljames
Club Player

Jones only in.

Someone will be unlucky to miss for him.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 10:25am...
My favourite part last week was when Ross was running thru the centre square under zero pressure with two open targets in the F50, and he kicks it straight to the one GWS player between them...
Alas, there are many things we never find out about, but it would be interesting to know what he was trying to do. Was he trying to hit one of the two Saints players or place it between them? The really great players can assess, in a split second, which of the two was better placed and kick it to a position that requires the teammates to "run away" from any opponent, rather than "run into" an opponent. It seemed to me watching it live that the player on the far side should have been the target. But he made a mistake too, running towards goal rather than turning and running towards Seb. Once again, the really great players "force" teammates to run to the right place with a kick to their advantage and to space. Anyway, we can hope that Seb gets the ball in many similar situations to remedy the result.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 10:58am
The_Dud wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 10:25am...
My favourite part last week was when Ross was running thru the centre square under zero pressure with two open targets in the F50, and he kicks it straight to the one GWS player between them...
Alas, there are many things we never find out about, but it would be interesting to know what he was trying to do. Was he trying to hit one of the two Saints players or place it between them? The really great players can assess, in a split second, which of the two was better placed and kick it to a position that requires the teammates to "run away" from any opponent, rather than "run into" an opponent. It seemed to me watching it live that the player on the far side should have been the target. But he made a mistake too, running towards goal rather than turning and running towards Seb. Once again, the really great players "force" teammates to run to the right place with a kick to their advantage and to space. Anyway, we can hope that Seb gets the ball in many similar situations to remedy the result.
Right now, I am much happier to have Seb Ross in the team, than not. At times he is pretty handy.
However, if a role does exist based on AMG, I see that role transitioning to Bytel next year. 3/10 by foot/hand in a small test sample, with a big body, strong inside presence and fierce pressure, bodes well for the job.
He has some work to do on his kicking and no doubt the preparation will be underway already, but his inside abilities and efficiency by hand should prove to be an advantage.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Check saints app. Has a great report on match sim.
No need to repeat it here.
If you're interested, go have a squiz

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee