Dumped

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Dumped

Seems a lot of clubs are looking to salary dump.

Clubs have written contacts to pay big salaries to players who are not earning their keep.
Or in some cases are earning their keep but the club simply can not afford.

The big noise is around Treloar with Collingwood not wanting to pay his contracted amounts - solution tell him to piss off.
If he goes Collingwood saves money even if they pay part of his salary.
They lose the player but will try to get draft picks for him.

St Kilda has contracted players who are not wanted or at least not unhappy to be seen gone.
Joyce is contracted but unlikely to play seniors again.
McKenzie is contracted for 2 more years.
Webster has a big contract but is now viewed as backup.
Dunstan is the same.

The problem in some cases is that no rival club is even interested in the players but they are costing their own club money to clog their list.
These players know that once their contracts run out they will be delisted and have to find a real job on far less coin.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Dumped

I don't think Dunstan and Webster are on big coin. Not much more than the AFL average I would think. The great thing for us is that we really don't have a Treloar to deal with (and yes, I'm waiting for those to come at me with the Hanneberry thing) but, the difference is - apart from Hill - we're not really paying anyone big coin; nor do we have anyone coming out soon (maybe Billings) that will require big coin. Filth's problem is that they overpaid Treloar by smoothing his old contract across a new contract whilst also having Grundy, Moore and de Goey coming out at the same time-ish and all requiring very big coin to stay.

The most perplexing aspect of our list is the McKenzie contact - how we're paying him a single dollar this year; let alone 1 single cent for the NEXT TWO GODDAMN YEARS is mind numbing. That is a hideous piece of list management.

Go you red, black & white warriors
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Roberton is on more coin than any of them.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Some of these contracts are like Hollywood accounting.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saintmike65
Club Player

bigred wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 10:01am Roberton is on more coin than any of them.

Roberton is an unfortunate one in that he was playing terrific footy before his heart issue, all Australian squad of 40 from memory.
In some ways, our past mediocrity has been a massive problem, as we've had to overpay average players such as Dunstan & McKenzie to get to the minimum salary cap requirement.
Now we're in a better place & a more attractive destination club, we have some dead wood on inflated money that other clubs don't want to take on.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It’s the challenge with these big lure contracts like for example why Essendon are reported to have offered Caldwell.

It used to be that the best players in the league made that kind of money...
Now standard strategy is for players to switch clubs and start a bidding to get contracts for amounts that’s they really have demonstrated their worth for.

I mean Treloar is a great player don’t get me wrong but isn’t worth anywhere near Dusty money.

List management is a very tricky beast at the moment... lot of pressure to spend the money correctly.

Lots of contracts out there paying for unfulfilled or not even close to realisation ‘potential’

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

The worse thing about the Treloar deal is that the Pies suggested the backended deal, which he accepted to help them at the time.
Now he comes to the big dollar years and they want out.
In future, players might be asking them front ended deals to make sure they are the money.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
SaintPelican66
Club Player

IMHFO, we should get Treloar. Tell Collingfilth that we will give next years second round draft pick and this years fourth. As long as they pay $200,000 of his salary for the full 5 years. Treloar owuld come in and straight away be our best midfielder. Imagine a starting midfield of Steele, Crouch, Treloar and Marshal!! So if Treloar's contract is $900,000 for 5 years minus $200,000 per year that Collingfilth pay that would be do-able for us.

If we get him then we need to make sure that Treloar and Hanneburry are managed carefully during the year. No more than 4 games in a row before they are rested for 1 week. Have them cherry ripe for finals.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 1:05pm IMHFO, we should get Treloar. Tell Collingfilth that we will give next years second round draft pick and this years fourth. As long as they pay $200,000 of his salary for the full 5 years. Treloar owuld come in and straight away be our best midfielder. Imagine a starting midfield of Steele, Crouch, Treloar and Marshal!! So if Treloar's contract is $900,000 for 5 years minus $200,000 per year that Collingfilth pay that would be do-able for us.

If we get him then we need to make sure that Treloar and Hanneburry are managed carefully during the year. No more than 4 games in a row before they are rested for 1 week. Have them cherry ripe for finals.
We'd all love to see a player of his quality at the club but it looks highly unlikely.
Perhaps the Hannebery deal is biting us?
Perhaps LT contracts to fringe players is also an issue?
That is for those with better knowledge than me to assess.
Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 3:32pm Simon Lethlean has ruled out any interest we in Adam Treloar, stating we don't have the assets or salary cap to do a deal for him.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 1:32pm
SaintPelican66 wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 1:05pm IMHFO, we should get Treloar. Tell Collingfilth that we will give next years second round draft pick and this years fourth. As long as they pay $200,000 of his salary for the full 5 years. Treloar owuld come in and straight away be our best midfielder. Imagine a starting midfield of Steele, Crouch, Treloar and Marshal!! So if Treloar's contract is $900,000 for 5 years minus $200,000 per year that Collingfilth pay that would be do-able for us.

We'd all love to see a player of his quality at the club but it looks highly unlikely.

Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 3:32pm Simon Lethlean has ruled out any interest we in Adam Treloar, stating we don't have the assets or salary cap to do a deal for him.
I think that both were the symptoms of a much more debilitating problem that has since been overcome

SaintPelican66
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 2:01pm

I think that both were the symptoms of a much more debilitating problem that has since been overcome
So are you saying we now have the assets and cap space?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 2:09pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 2:01pm

So are you saying we now have the assets and cap space?
Not quite. The driver of those list decisions is gone hence we don’t get to wake up to exciting news like Joyce or Dmac had his contract extended for 2-3 years.
Unfortunately we still have to wear the consequences of not having acted sooner

Can’t say I’ve seen a real head scratcher in the last 18 months though so that’s something at least

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm sorry but if people believe we haven't been overpaying some of our players then we're deluding ourselves. Billings is reportedly on 800k so is Gresh. Both would be valued around the 500- 600k mark by AFL standards. Roberton has always been overated by our supporters in my view and was never better than 600k. Still pretty good but players in the 800k range are elite AFL footballers imo. But as someone said earlier, the downside of being a poor team (previously) and having to pay 95% of salary cap means that players that aren't quite there are over paid for us to keep them.

Guys like Max King, Hunter Clarke, Coffield, even Butler are going to be needed to be satisfied in years to come.

Paying McKenzie on a 3 year contract?? What were we thinking? Webster I can understand. He was killing it at one stage Jimmy, but got injured and has found himself on the out. Dunstan was a best 25 player for awhile but shrewd recruiting has meant he's now on the out. I don't blame the club for those two

ace
Saintsational Legend

Next to be dumped could be fat Jack Steven at Geelong.
He got a two year contract but Geelong may choose to pay him out now.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/523602/earl ... t-for-2021

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Hey Geelong Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee That's a long Gee

Harry Taylor just retired.
Can I suggest Darragh Joyce might make a great replacement but you would have to pay a second round pick.
Go on you know you want to do it.

Saintly66
Club Player

ace wrote: Wed 04 Nov 2020 11:15am Next to be dumped could be fat Jack Steven at Geelong.
He got a two year contract but Geelong may choose to pay him out now.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/523602/earl ... t-for-2021
Money for nothing what a joke lol, guess more the merrier for the gear he needs

damienc
Club Player

We made an offer to Crouch and he wants to play for the Saints. We are now waiting to see if Adelaide match.

My gut feeling is Adelaide will pass and accept the compo pick, which means he will come to us at no cost apart from his contract.

We can't afford Treloar and Crouch. Lethlean is on the public record saying so.

If we get Crouch, and we will know for sure by the close of business today, you can forget about Treloar.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 2:27pm I'm sorry but if people believe we haven't been overpaying some of our players then we're deluding ourselves. Billings is reportedly on 800k so is Gresh. Both would be valued around the 500- 600k mark by AFL standards. Roberton has always been overated by our supporters in my view and was never better than 600k. Still pretty good but players in the 800k range are elite AFL footballers imo. But as someone said earlier, the downside of being a poor team (previously) and having to pay 95% of salary cap means that players that aren't quite there are over paid for us to keep them.

Guys like Max King, Hunter Clarke, Coffield, even Butler are going to be needed to be satisfied in years to come.

Paying McKenzie on a 3 year contract?? What were we thinking? Webster I can understand. He was killing it at one stage Jimmy, but got injured and has found himself on the out. Dunstan was a best 25 player for awhile but shrewd recruiting has meant he's now on the out. I don't blame the club for those two
Agree Moods, you have to pay % of salary cap and Dunstan & McKenzie were walk up starts so no issue there, though perhaps Websters reported 4 years was a little too long.

McKenzie on the other hand at 3 years is ridiculous, a player of his standing should be year to year or 2 years at best. If another club wants to offer better we can match or trade.

If you are best 22 or just outside, I think 2 years now looks the norm for mid range listed players.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The fact "you have to pay a percentage of the salary cap" is the biggest problem the AFL and Clubs have. Players in poor sides cannot help but be overpaid.

Clubs would be in much better positions if they only paid what their list was worth. Then the likes of Lynch & Cameron would have a lot more trouble getting to Top 4 teams.