Peta Searle.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Peta Searle.

Having watched a number of AFLW games, I'm not sure Searle is very good tactically.
While she looks to be developing talent and the sides being picked seem well equipped. There is a distinct game plan at play without much change or versatility.
Very slow to react and very patient waiting for results from players who aren't delivering, particularly in attack.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Peta Searle.

Yep., crap coach imhfo.,
The girls are hard to watch.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The umpiring is f****** terrible. 2nd rate, like the football.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

f****** hopeless. 1 goal after half time FFS.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we can steal Burkey back from the Mutts.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 13 Mar 2021 3:40pm Having watched a number of AFLW games, I'm not sure Searle is very good tactically.
While she looks to be developing talent and the sides being picked seem well equipped. There is a distinct game plan at play without much change or versatility.
Very slow to react and very patient waiting for results from players who aren't delivering, particularly in attack.
Can you believe she was actually brought in as an assistant to the AFL team initially?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Its not her fault.

Not completely anyway.

Skills are a massive issue. Game plan means nought if you just cannot execute.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The Billings Method
Club Player

When tokenism meets reality, I'm afraid.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

It is what it is. Its still a battle, regardless of the weapons. The girls are courageous and committed, the game plan and skill level may be out of sync but ffs make some changes.
Our ruck is no key defender and our key forward cant win the ball enough.
Swap them for a quarter and see what happens maybe.
Or at least move the G Taxi, (she is no train Im sorry) up the ground a little and get her in the action before the ball is rebounded.
May be even just let Watt ruck and put the tall redhead in defence. That girl has a crack and is mobile, at least.
Beginning to think about not watching at all.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Some ignorant comments right here re PETA

Yesterday we were beaten in appalling conditions by a team with lots of strong bodies who could easily move our players off the ball. We really missed Rosie Dillon who went off early

The OP has seemed to run with a comment made by one of the commentators about moving players around. From my perspective that would have had no impact we were out muscled all around the ground.

When you compare our team to the gun teams the difference in body size is extraordinary

I watched most of the Roos/Dogs game played in Hobart, and the skills were brilliant

The women’s game amongst the top teams is thru the roof compared to 4 years ago.

Unfortunately (and I love the ALFW) , expansion has taken place too quickly which is highlighted by the skill and body size differential

And yes at times the umpiring is disgraceful.

Fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 7:22am It is what it is. Its still a battle, regardless of the weapons. The girls are courageous and committed, the game plan and skill level may be out of sync but ffs make some changes.
Or at least move the G Taxi, (she is no train Im sorry) up the ground a little and get her in the action before the ball is rebounded.
May be even just let Watt ruck and put the tall redhead in defence. That girl has a crack and is mobile, at least.
At least have the good grace to know the players names if you are going to comment. The tall red head is Kate Shierlaw , who wears the famous number 12

Fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sure the conditions were atrocious but that didn't stop GWS where a fat 39 year old absolutely smashed us,

I have watched all the saints games this year and they are getting worse not better.

Truth hurts I know but it is what it is. Suck it up, ignorant comments not withstanding.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 14 Mar 2021 5:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

longtimesaint
Club Player

We are only in our second year and we did not receive a Gold Coast type leg up.
We need better players and more depth as coaching is limited to the quality of the players.
We have a couple of good young midfielders but a lot of players making up the numbers.

One year will be our year
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 10:04am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 7:22am It is what it is. Its still a battle, regardless of the weapons. The girls are courageous and committed, the game plan and skill level may be out of sync but ffs make some changes.
At least have the good grace to know the players names if you are going to comment. The tall red head is Kate Shierlaw , who wears the famous number 12

Fqf
Ok. My apologies to Kate for not remembering her name at least I noticed her and am giving her credit. Is that gracious enough for you?
I sat through Joey calling her Shilow a few weeks back for most of his call of the game and It is an unusual name so my memory wasn't good.
Irregardless, I stand by my comments. Shierlaw has real presence and good hands, why hide her on the goal line all of a sudden?
I hope Searle can lift her game, in my opinion, she is failing.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Listening to Searle speak is like a female carbon copy of Richardson, about as exciting watching paint dry.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sat 13 Mar 2021 4:11pm Yep., crap coach imhfo.,
We don't agree on a lot of things saynta & TBH I don't really know much about the coach & I'm not being sexist but I'm with you on the second point I really find women's footy hard to watch :|

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 3:20pm
saynta wrote: Sat 13 Mar 2021 4:11pm Yep., crap coach imhfo.,
We don't agree on a lot of things saynta & TBH I don't really know much about the coach & I'm not being sexist but I'm with you on the second point I really find women's footy hard to watch :|
Glad to know that we don't agree on much. Very encouraging mate. :wink: To me that is.

I have a couple of sons plus a dozen grandkids and have watched a heap of junior footy over the years. A boys under 14 side would thrash the saints team IMHO.

I think the main problem is the older players are converts from other ball games and don't really know how to play aussie football. You can see the difference in the teenagers who grew up with the game, ie young Smith and Patrikios.

They will get better, imho.

You could tell that the girls were instructed to kick the ball off the ground after half time. I thought. What the f***....

The Billings Method
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 2:34pm Listening to Searle speak is like a female carbon copy of Richardson, about as exciting watching paint dry.
Richo being her major influence coaching at AFL level would explain a lot. Like other posters here, I believe the competition has been expanded far too rapidly, causing a disparity in talent, skill level and physical development.

We are, quite literally girls playing against women. There is talent there and they will improve, but one can only hope some of Ratts' knowledge, wisdom and charisma rubs off on her.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 10:30am Sure the conditions were atrocious but that didn't stop GWS where a fat 39 year old absolutely smashed us,

I have watched all the saints games this year and they are getting worse not better.

Truth hurts I know but it is what it is. Suck it up, ignorant comments not withstanding.
Oh, that's lovely. No wonder women are marching 4 effing justice. Here's the fat 39-year-old's biog from wikipedia:

She is best known as a Ladies Gaelic footballer, winning four All-Irelands and three Ladies' National Football League titles with Mayo. She has also been an All Star on eleven occasions. In addition to playing Gaelic football, Staunton has also played three other football codes at a senior level. In 2006, as an association footballer, she won an FAI Women's Cup winner's medal with the Mayo Ladies' League representative team. In 2013, she began playing rugby union for Castlebar Ladies in the Connacht Women's League and in 2018 made her debut in the Australian rules football AFLW competition for the Greater Western Sydney Giants. She has also played for the Ireland women's international rules football team.

Can't understand how she did so well against us. It's an absolute bloody mystery and must be down to that rubbish token female coach.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ahh the New Richo.

It’s must be Searl’s fault they are losing, not the lack of ability and depth on the playing list?

And by Proxy it’s Richo’s fault?!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Can't coach deals in all the nice terms that mean nothing if you have no game sense. Plenty of these sorts coming through.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Mon 15 Mar 2021 8:34am
saynta wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 10:30am Sure the conditions were atrocious but that didn't stop GWS where a fat 39 year old absolutely smashed us,

Oh, that's lovely. No wonder women are marching 4 effing justice. Here's the fat 39-year-old's biog from wikipedia:

She is best known as a Ladies Gaelic footballer, winning four All-Irelands and three Ladies' National Football League titles with Mayo. She has also been an All Star on eleven occasions. In addition to playing Gaelic football, Staunton has also played three other football codes at a senior level. In 2006, as an association footballer, she won an FAI Women's Cup winner's medal with the Mayo Ladies' League representative team. In 2013, she began playing rugby union for Castlebar Ladies in the Connacht Women's League and in 2018 made her debut in the Australian rules football AFLW competition for the Greater Western Sydney Giants. She has also played for the Ireland women's international rules football team.

Can't understand how she did so well against us. It's an absolute bloody mystery and must be down to that rubbish token female coach.
She is still a fat 39 year old FFS. :roll:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm.

SaintJohno
Club Player

freely wrote: Mon 15 Mar 2021 8:34am

Nicely said Freely. Interesting that commentators are saying the new recruits are coming into the team as amongst the best players, given they have grown up with the game. It's still 5-10 years away from being quality and full of real AFL players. They're definitely out there and growing up fast. I coach the U11 girls in northern NSW and this year we have 30 girls and they're good little players. 2 years ago it was 10.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 10:01am Some ignorant comments right here re PETA

Yesterday we were beaten in appalling conditions by a team with lots of strong bodies who could easily move our players off the ball. We really missed Rosie Dillon who went off early

The OP has seemed to run with a comment made by one of the commentators about moving players around. From my perspective that would have had no impact we were out muscled all around the ground.

When you compare our team to the gun teams the difference in body size is extraordinary

I watched most of the Roos/Dogs game played in Hobart, and the skills were brilliant

The women’s game amongst the top teams is thru the roof compared to 4 years ago.

Unfortunately (and I love the ALFW) , expansion has taken place too quickly which is highlighted by the skill and body size differential

And yes at times the umpiring is disgraceful.

Fqf
We lost the taps and won the clearances both just marginally.
We tackled 103 times out of 206 contested possessions and won 86 of them to 126. They tackled 46 of our 86 contested possessions.
We had 91 uncontested possessions and the had 85.
The umpiring clearly let a lot of incorrect disposal go.
Our forwards couldn't get the ball because they were held too deep, allowing the forward line to get congested and their forwards dominated the match by marking cleanly and turning our tall slow defenders inside out time and time again.
We had more forwards entries and equal scoring shots.
We are clearly not a clean disposal team, but getting the ball forward and getting our FAIR share of it is not an issue.
They scored goals and we didnt. This has been a pattern for a few weeks. I made my comments 40 minutes into the match. The commentator you mentioned made his in the last, when we were out of the match.
Searle is clearly out of touch with the strengths of her squad and confused about how to create opportunities from them.