Mickey Milkshake previews the saints 21 season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Mickey Milkshake previews the saints 21 season

Can I say at the outset, "Go f*** yourself you washed up hasbeen.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... a9bef1ec00"

"Mick Malthouse says it’s time St Kilda stop dwelling on its near-misses of the past if the club wants to end its 55-year premiership drought. Here’s his Saints blueprint.

St Kilda has been a hard luck story since 1966 when it won its first and only flag.

Victorian teams have won 13 of the last 21 AFL premierships.

Since 2000 St Kilda has been in the finals eight times without a flag, compared to Geelong with 16 finals’ campaigns and three premierships, Hawthorn 12 finals series and four flags, Richmond eight and three cups, and Collingwood 13 and one premiership.

Of the Victorian teams only Carlton and Melbourne have fared worse.

If not for Paul Chapman’s snap over the shoulder goal in 2009, and an askew bounce for Stephen Milne in 2010, perhaps the Saints would have been back-to-back premiers, but their “bad luck” was “good luck” for the Cats and the Pies

In the past two decades St Kilda has had seven coaches.

It’s been captained by the likes of one of the game’s all-time greats in Nick Riewoldt, and had inspirational leaders in Robert Harvey, Lenny Hayes, Luke Ball and Aaron Hamill. Plus Coleman medallist Fraser Gehrig, All-Australian forward pocket goal sneak Milne, Brendon Goddard, Sam Fisher, Leigh Montagna, Nick Dal Santo and the playing list goes on.

But just like Carlton where the excuses have run out, this is a make-or-break year for the Saints..

Brett Ratten is a no-excuse type person, so there is no fear he is dwelling on bad luck syndrome.

The Saints need to acknowledge last year when they were beaten by the Tigers in the semi-final and get better.

Melbourne was wonderful in 2018, finishing fourth before West Coast stopped the Demons in their tracks in a preliminary final.

The Demons didn’t make the finals in the next season, finishing 17th.

St Kilda of old has had a tendency to look back, but this is a chance to look forward, at what it can achieve if it builds on last season’s result instead of dwelling on it.

The Saints will start the year with many players missing from their “best” side.

What appeared to be a wonderful ruck duo has dissolved before Ratten’s eyes.
Dan Hannebery hasn’t lived up to expectations due to injuries.

When Rowan Marshall and Paddy Ryder are fit they present as good a ruck combination as there is.

Jarryn Geary has undergone surgery again after a training injury.

Max King will miss Round 1 with concussion after being hit on the head with a golf ball. When does the bad luck end and common sense take over?

Since when do you play practice matches at fullbore where a Ben Paton broken leg is the result of a tackle by an assistant coach?

St Kilda has to take more responsibility on and off the ground.

It’s made some interesting trades in the last couple of seasons … interesting because not a lot have passed the test.

Dan Butler has been good but patchy.

Bradley Hill went missing when the heat was applied last year.

Dougal Howard has been fine. Zak Jones injured.

Paddy Ryder OK.

Dan Hannebery came with injuries from Sydney, got injured again, and still has injury issues.

If the Saints can pull it together Ratten will have a wonderful team at his disposal.

The early indication is that they will be an attacking side, but with the addition of multiple-

possession getter Brad Crouch, who struggled to defend in Adelaide, the midfield could still have problems being accountable through the corridor.

Jack Steele is the only player in the middle who seems to know that he has an opponent.

But I do love the way Ben Long and Hunter Clark go about their work in the backline.

Jade Gresham, Butler and Jack Billings could cause all sorts of trouble through the midfield and forward line.

This is the year that Seb Ross could stamp his authority on the game.

And King, just 20, has the potential to do some serious damage in the forward 50 … if he stays off the golf course.

It is also a year that could define Jake Carlisle, who is capable of so many things.

I feel St Kilda will do very well against the minor sides, but the true test will be against the more credentialed teams.

The new rules may allow for more run and carry and to a degree more speed, which will suit the Saints on a downhill snowfield.

But you can’t and won’t get away with one-way traffic against the big four.

Ratten as a former midfielder and, as a coach for seven and a bit of years, understands this perfectly well.

His job is to get the team’s balance right and the Saints will be fine"

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mickey Milkshake previews the saints 21 season

"Dan Butler has been good but patchy"

Sums up the article for me

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

Milkshake review a little bit patchy.

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He can't disguise his hatred of us and can't disguise his inability to to write or think with any cohesion. He belongs in the trash can of football history like Dennis Pagan. Supposedly great coaches when they had oustanding playing lists but we're utterly exposed as frauds when they had mediocre playing lists.

An incoherent, angry, bitter nincompoop!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

“Paddy Ryder Ok”

:roll:

Yeah, right.

NFI

:lol:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Typical Herald Sun rubbish - just get a known name and let the write any old rubbish. No need to fact check

The Ryder and Butler stuff is a joke

Someone posted a Hun article the other day suggesting that Joyce was first line depth replacement for our key backs...
Fallen behind the debutant in Highmore now too

Who would pay for this crap?

The Billings Method
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 20 Mar 2021 6:06pm He can't disguise his hatred of us and can't disguise his inability to to write or think with any cohesion. He belongs in the trash can of football history like Dennis Pagan. Supposedly great coaches when they had oustanding playing lists but we're utterly exposed as frauds when they had mediocre playing lists.

An incoherent, angry, bitter nincompoop!
Malthouse always wanted to coach us. He told Rod Buttersssss so in a grovelling apology after the Capuano sacking and his inappropriate criticism over it. He expressed his desire to one day, "return home" to coach the saints.

As far as I know, no one ever got back to him on that one. I think he's still waiting. On the credit side, he was the only so-called "expert" who picked us to make the 8 last year.

He reminds me of a spurned lover who still has a soft spot for his ex, but can't quite resist having the odd pot shot.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 20 Mar 2021 8:55pm Typical Herald Sun rubbish - just get a known name and let the write any old rubbish. No need to fact check

Someone posted a Hun article the other day suggesting that Joyce was first line depth replacement for our key backs...

Now apply this standard of reporting to important issues on politics, the economy etc and we might get a sense of the the proportion of misinformation occurring. It's not only News either, but they are pretty bad.

The Billings Method
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sat 20 Mar 2021 9:12pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 20 Mar 2021 8:55pm Typical Herald Sun rubbish - just get a known name and let the write any old rubbish. No need to fact check

Now apply this standard of reporting to important issues on politics, the economy etc and we might get a sense of the the proportion of misinformation occurring. It's not only News either, but they are pretty bad.
I was "gifted" a HS subscription by a mate who is an associate editor there. He was formerly a senior journo at Fairfax, but read the wind and bailed when the cost cutters moved through.

I hadn't read the HS for many years. Not because of an irrational hatred of Rupert and his empire, but it just wasn't worth it. The HS once enjoyed a strong reputation in crime and sport writing, at least. Not anymore.

I read last Thursday's edition in 3 minutes flat. Nothing to see, mainly ads and poorly written opinion pieces by legendary writers like Susie O'Brien, Ripper Rita, Steve Price (A love letter to Peta Credlin) and Jeff. Very disappointing.

Then there's footy with Slobbo. Like listening to a drunk at a bar giving opinions that no one else wants to hear. It just hit me. Instead of doing me a favour, maybe my mate was taking the piss.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Sat 20 Mar 2021 9:31pm

I was "gifted" a HS subscription by a mate who is an associate editor there. He was formerly a senior journo at Fairfax, but read the wind and bailed when the cost cutters moved through.

I hadn't read the HS for many years. Not because of an irrational hatred of Rupert and his empire, but it just wasn't worth it. The HS once enjoyed a strong reputation in crime and sport writing, at least. Not anymore.

I read last Thursday's edition in 3 minutes flat. Nothing to see, mainly ads and poorly written opinion pieces by legendary writers like Susie O'Brien, Ripper Rita, Steve Price (A love letter to Peta Credlin) and Jeff. Very disappointing.

Then there's footy with Slobbo. Like listening to a drunk at a bar giving opinions that no one else wants to hear. It just hit me. Instead of doing me a favour, maybe my mate was taking the piss.
Don't disagree. It's pretty s*** but at least it does not pretend to be something that it is not, like the Age and the ABC do.

Independent. Always.

Holding truth to power.

etc.

This is much worse in my opinion because these arseholes are pretending to be the guardians of truth when they are just pathetic sycophantic lying suckholes.

The Billings Method
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sat 20 Mar 2021 9:56pm

Don't disagree. It's pretty s*** but at least it does not pretend to be something that it is not, like the Age and the ABC do.

Independent. Always.

Holding truth to power.

etc.

This is much worse in my opinion because these arseholes are pretending to be the guardians of truth when they are just pathetic sycophantic lying suckholes.
I was referring more to the standard of the writing and analysis, than any bias or political content. I find the ABC insufferable because of its hypocrisy and pretence of balance.

Fugazi1966
Club Player

Interesting points about accountability of our midfield.

Obviously thinks Hannas Hill Billings and Gresham tend to ski downhill. I think there is some truth to that.

Crouch somewhat renowned for lack of defence.

Will be good to see how Ratten coaches them.

When we have 2 dominant rocks we can probably get away with it and outscore. Not when we have the weakest ruck duo in the league like round 1-3 approx.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Contradicting yourself Mick?
He seems to think the rucks are a strength...

" When Rowan Marshall and Paddy Ryder are fit they present as good a ruck combination as there is"
" What appeared to be a wonderful ruck duo has dissolved before Ratten’s eyes" .

But Paddy's been just...

" Paddy Ryder OK" .

Pretty sure a brownlow medalist broke his leg at pre season training a couple of years back Mick, so it does happen.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
minneapolis
Club Player

What a load of immature tripe.

Damienc on here writes a better summary.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, I used to read the HS years back, but now it's pretty much dunny paper value- a bit like some of Rupert's UK papers.

Kate
Club Player

That's not an article, just a loose collection of statements. He could at least try to tie them together into some sort of topic or paragraph.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

:)

that was a good read

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Peanut Farm
Club Player

Most of it was a load of bulldust. Agree with Hill and the Paton injury totally avoidable - wtf was Roughy thinking - idiot!

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Starts the article by stating that we shouldn't dwell on the past . Then spends the next four or five paragraphs dwelling on our past .
What he writes on the players can be justified but i agree with kate thats its a loose collection of statements.
I reckon he's probably getting paid for the amount of words in the article so as he knows sweet FA about our players he's dwelt on our past to get him over the line.

In red white and black from 73
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I really dislike this fella. I chortled when he mentioned Milne.

I recall a few other things he had to say about Stevie in the past.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintbob
SS Life Member

This maggot has never had anything nice to say about the Saints and now he’s getting paid to write this shite.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Premium89
Club Player

I reckon mick’s “research” might have been reading saintsational! Nothing that hasn’t been written in the negative on here by various posters over the past 12 months.

Surely with his “expertise” he can put together something better than that tripe - to echo Kate, at least get a ghostwriter to make full paragraphs!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I read it the other day and immediately dismissed it as rubbish. Regardless of any personal opinions one may have of Malthouse, you'd expect a 400 game 3 x premiership coach, to have some sort of intelligent insight and analysis of our list. Was bloody disappointing to read that he literally had no clue as to what he was talking about. I almost stopped reading when he basically said that Butler was 'average' last year. He finished 4th or 5th in the league goal kicking as a small fwd, making the AA squad! What a complete imbecile. Ryder may well have started off slowly but probably finished as one of the premium ruckman in the league. He said Jones was disappointing...... The whole thing was puzzling (kindest thing I can say)

I don't buy into the conspiracy theories and all that re Malthouse hates the Saints etc etc. I just reckon he's ignorant and whoever he's accountable to at the HS should have a word to him.