Has the AFL got the nerve

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Has the AFL got the nerve

Elani is clearly not up to scratch but has the AFL got the nerve to cut her. No feel for the game just freezes then plucks out bad call after bad call. Got dropped last season but hasn’t improved. It’s over move on take the external heat early in the year.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Milne
Club Player

Re: Has the AFL got the nerve

It's great that the AFL wants a more diverse group of umpires, I just want any umpire to officiate the game fairly.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:36pm Elani is clearly not up to scratch but has the AFL got the nerve to cut her. No feel for the game just freezes then plucks out bad call after bad call. Got dropped last season but hasn’t improved. It’s over move on take the external heat early in the year.
Got dropped after atrocious performance against the saints last year. Tried to get her revenge today. Tough s*** maggot

The Billings Method
Club Player

But guys, she has an AOM!

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I am glad a woman is umpiring, there is significant evidence scientifically that woman may be great ( even better) at accurate processing of events.

Sadly, this person mocks science. This umpire is not good enough and being a woman ( I am not sure I've heard she identifies as a woman but I'm going to use it until further notice) can not be a factor in judging her suitability to remain at top level.

It seems she "forces" the call, as if she really doesn't "see" the play but knows she's meant to call something.

I've seen her give us frees that weren't there as well.

To be 100% honest, I was a ref for my son's footy years age 7-16. It was really hard. It felt good to know I had been fair, given players the benefit of doubt, let play roll and often held the whistle and tried to apply the spirit of the rule for the good of the game not to control the game.

I won a few awards as whistle-blower of the year.
I never intended to continue beyond my son's games in local league. But I was asked to step up in certification and enter a well respected Victorian league for adults. At the association meeting the language, arrogance, narcissism and blatant disregard for our beloved game churned my guts and I declined. I was shocked referees at this level could genuinely be so pathetic.
Since then I have wondered how refs at the highest level speak behind closed doors? Do they think they are tiny gods as well? Do they even love the game with every fibre of their being?

Something is missing with this person and I hope she finds it, but she has to step back and reassess at vfl level.
Last edited by SAINT-LEE on Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Milne wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:43pm It's great that the AFL wants a more diverse group of umpires, I just want any umpire to officiate the game fairly.
That’s true but she is no good. We had a similar situation in the junior comp I’m involved in. We had a female umpire that all Under 16 coaches emailed the league asking them not to appoint her to Under 16 games. To prove a point the umpires awarded her the Grand Final. The game was embarrassing and in the end she cost a team a Grand Final.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:50pm But guys, she has an AOM!
Yeah and what a f****** joke that was.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:52pm
Milne wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:43pm It's great that the AFL wants a more diverse group of umpires, I just want any umpire to officiate the game fairly.
That’s true but she is no good. We had a similar situation in the junior comp I’m involved in. We had a female umpire that all Under 16 coaches emailed the league asking them not to appoint her to Under 16 games. To prove a point the umpires awarded her the Grand Final. The game was embarrassing and in the end she cost a team a Grand Final.
I can only imagine the amount of abuse those poor kids have to cop from the likes of you and your hero mates. :(

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I thought all the umpires were poor. But a lot were expecting/ hoping Eleni would do poorly so she cops it all.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:59pm
I can only imagine the amount of abuse those poor kids have to cop from the likes of you and your hero mates. :(

Yep only received four coach of the year awards. Also received an award for work with juniors.

Thank you
Last edited by CURLY on Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

No the AFL, being a rather woke organisation, doesn’t have the nerve. Tokenism. Really, people should be marked on their merits. If she’s not up to it, she’s not up to it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Unnecessary comment Dudley.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:00pm I thought all the umpires were poor. But a lot were expecting/ hoping Eleni would do poorly so she cops it all.
All the maggots were poor IMHFO.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

The umps in general were pretty one sided. I mean the stats... 29-15 frees tell the story.

The way the game was officiated was pretty ordinary. The umps need to adjust for the conditions too.

79-tackles to 40 odd as well. We just didnt get rewarded at all and they pinged us for far too many that should have been let go.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bergsone
SS Life Member

Male or Female I dont really care.But they must be better than she was today

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:01pm

Yep only received four coach of the year awards. Also received an award for work with juniors.

Thank you
Do the abused child umpires vote for those awards?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Thank you
I’ll nominate you for embarrassing big noting on a forum of the year award 👍

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:28pm

Thank you
Do the abused child umpires vote for those awards?
Yeah they do clown. Along with best conducted club.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:43pm

Thank you
I’ll nominate you for embarrassing big noting on a forum of the year award 👍
Not big noting at all just correcting the clowns absurd vile post.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The use and abuse of science - FMD.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:51pm I am glad a woman is umpiring, there is significant evidence scientifically that woman may be great ( even better) at accurate processing of events.

Sadly, this person mocks science. This umpire is not good enough and being a woman ( I am not sure I've heard she identifies as a woman but I'm going to use it until further notice) can not be a factor in judging her suitability to remain at top level.

It seems she "forces" the call, as if she really doesn't "see" the play but knows she's meant to call something.

I've seen her give us frees that weren't there as well.

To be 100% honest, I was a ref for my son's footy years age 7-16. It was really hard. It felt good to know I had been fair, given players the benefit of doubt, let play roll and often held the whistle and tried to apply the spirit of the rule for the good of the game not to control the game.

I won a few awards as whistle-blower of the year.
I never intended to continue beyond my son's games in local league. But I was asked to step up in certification and enter a well respected Victorian league for adults. At the association meeting the language, arrogance, narcissism and blatant disregard for our beloved game churned my guts and I declined. I was shocked referees at this level could genuinely be so pathetic.
Since then I have wondered how refs at the highest level speak behind closed doors? Do they think they are tiny gods as well? Do they even love the game with every fibre of their being?

Something is missing with this person and I hope she finds it, but she has to step back and reassess at vfl level.
'Processing of events' seems disconcertingly vague but I'd love to see the scientific evidence for the assertion.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
therabbitinthehat
Club Player

I wasn't watching, so can't comment directly, but is it that you notice her mistakes because she is a woman or does she genuinely make more mistakes or wrong calls than the other umpires?
I'm not implying anything, I'm actually interested as I've seen some horrible calls made and some blatantly one-sided umpiring done by the male of the species and they don't warrant their own thread calling for their dismissal.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:00pm I thought all the umpires were poor. But a lot were expecting/ hoping Eleni would do poorly so she cops it all.
It seems the odd person understands. Got SFA do with an individual umpire, no matter their gender. It has everything to do with the relentless inculcation of every last institution in the freakin' country.

Thursday night, the chums in the best seats in the stands?

108 questions taken 'on notice' in the federal house of the peeps, that are still 'on notice'.

An individual sheila ump ain't the problem.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:06pm
All the maggots were poor IMHFO.
By golly, we agree!

Can someone explain the 2 centre bounce frees against the 'new boy', Turner? Wot? 'Knees up Mother Brown', after the adversary's 'knees up Mother Brown'?

How 'bout the Tobester's last 1/4 free? Where was that 'contact', exactly? Wot, troubled by the passage of air generated by someone travelling nearby, was he?

I have long been of the belief - and it has SFA to do with tin foil hats - that every last insto in the this joint is rotten - cos no-one is 'available' to hold them to account.

Federally, start with the ANAO ('National Audit Offiice') being defunded to the point where they can only do 3/4 of the audits they did last year. Which is down from the 80% they could do the year before.

This is not random, it's organised.

The AFL are not comfy with such trends, and never, ever seek to have their employees toe the favoured line?!

Yeah, right - if ya believe that you really do know SFA about human psychology.

Which, from watching today, makes that win significant - damn significant, and very much against the odds.............what was the 'highlight' on the 7 News?

Gee, was the 'questionable' free kick to Dan Butler late, the 'decider'?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

therabbitinthehat wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:59pm I wasn't watching, so can't comment directly, but is it that you notice her mistakes because she is a woman or does she genuinely make more mistakes or wrong calls than the other umpires?
I'm not implying anything, I'm actually interested as I've seen some horrible calls made and some blatantly one-sided umpiring done by the male of the species and they don't warrant their own thread calling for their dismissal.
Given the audio of the umpires, I think you notice her more therefore focus on her poor decisions.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.