Maintaining the Rage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Maintaining the Rage

Garry Lyon said he'd never seen Crouch tackle as intensely as on Saturaday. We've all seen how hard the Saints were trying so hard in 2015/2016 under Richo but just not having the class. The 'manic pressure' was there but naturally it couldn't last. By about 2/3 through 2017 we just dropped off. Now that we have players with success and experience in a variety of jumpers, do you expect us to be able to 'maintain that intensity'...Do you think we have the class now..so that when inevitable dips come, we can use skill and structure to keep punching at a high level?

Or was last week an exception to the rule?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Maintaining the Rage

We only played 45 minutes of decent football last weekend. I'd prefer we improved on that, rather than maintained it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021 3:39pm We only played 45 minutes of decent football last weekend. I'd prefer we improved on that, rather than maintained it.
I don't think that's right. Things just didn't go our way in the first half.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I like that we only have a 5 day break this week in that the 2nd half of footy against WC is fresh in the players minds

Tigers also coming back from Adelaide off a tough game and its at Marvel - we match up on them ok as well

The following Port game is on a Sunday so then we can have a break (9-10 days) to ready ourselves for that

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

If I wasn't a Saint, I'd say St K vs Rich this week would be a fascinating game, instead of a date with the devil. And agree with Saynta about us having a go earlier. That said, just goes to show, we CAN have a red hot crack, and STILL be down 33 mid 3rd quarter. (Doesn't bare thinking about)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I've stated earlier , after watching the Rich Port game I was blown away by the intensity and skills, at the time thinking we were no where near their level, the Weagles game has changed my thoughts on that somewhat.

We have lacked aggression for awhile not to mention accountability , both of those things were displayed the other night, so we know they have it when they want to turn it on,

Therefore no excuses moving forward.

I still expect to lose to Rich without our 2 guns in Ryder and Marshall and dont expect a hiding if they maintain the intensity.

From boiled lollies to chocolates in a week...funny game football.
Go Saints

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

With that kind of pressure and effort we can easily win (though no Marshall or Ryder would make that more difficult). We played pretty well in the first half last week too, just the Eagles were extremely efficient.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Garry Lyon would not have studied Brad C and is posturing. Watched replay; the commentary team was characteristically patronising all game and incredulous when we hit the front. These guys will never be coaches, trade on hindsight/conventional wisdom and probably never win a tipping comp. What Gary Lyon says is media fodder and largely confected fluff. Was a great player but, however like many gifted athletes it doesn't mean you have insight into what is unfolding before you. He might well have said Crouch seems to be playing with greater enthusiasm under that Ratts guy. Ratts is special and we are fortunate to have him, there is no rage, its focussed effort and when we do that we are damn hard to counter.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021 6:59pm Garry Lyon would not have studied Brad C and is posturing. Watched replay; the commentary team was characteristically patronising all game and incredulous when we hit the front. These guys will never be coaches, trade on hindsight/conventional wisdom and probably never win a tipping comp. What Gary Lyon says is media fodder and largely confected fluff. Was a great player but, however like many gifted athletes it doesn't mean you have insight into what is unfolding before you. He might well have said Crouch seems to be playing with greater enthusiasm under that Ratts guy. Ratts is special and we are fortunate to have him, there is no rage, its focussed effort and when we do that we are damn hard to counter.
I think someone has hijacked Yorkeys phone/ipad/laptop or other device

The above post is different to the usual posts from the author known as Yorkeys

Where are the one liners and where is the usual Yorkeys humour.

The above post is serious. Could it be that the poster Yorkeys thinks that Saints are a serious threat in 2021?

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021 3:45pm
Beno88 wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021 3:39pm We only played 45 minutes of decent football last weekend. I'd prefer we improved on that, rather than maintained it.
I agree saynta we were playing pretty well but execution was killing us. Then Westcoast folded like wet cardboard & we owned them

MickThomas
Club Player

I've watched the game 4 times, and I think half way thru the third, we seemed to be setting up differently.
The guys were much closer to the ball carrier than earlier, and therefore giving the WCE less time to kick or handball.

Maybe they were reading the play better.
They were still letting guys like Barrass take intercept marks, but when the ball was in dispute, they closed in harder.
It's hard to figure out, but the commentators at one point said Handballs were 45 to 12 or something.
So we were getting possies and sharing.

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021 6:59pm Garry Lyon would not have studied Brad C and is posturing. Watched replay; the commentary team was characteristically patronising all game and incredulous when we hit the front. These guys will never be coaches, trade on hindsight/conventional wisdom and probably never win a tipping comp. What Gary Lyon says is media fodder and largely confected fluff. Was a great player but, however like many gifted athletes it doesn't mean you have insight into what is unfolding before you. He might well have said Crouch seems to be playing with greater enthusiasm under that Ratts guy. Ratts is special and we are fortunate to have him, there is no rage, its focussed effort and when we do that we are damn hard to counter.
Yes, while I won’t dispute the confectionary bit, to be fair, he (Garry Lyon) did say it after dropping some stats about tackle counts and as Mick Thomas has just said, there are some stats that show some different trends from the previous week, and possibly during the actual game too, after half-time.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021 6:59pm Garry Lyon would not have studied Brad C and is posturing. Watched replay; the commentary team was characteristically patronising all game and incredulous when we hit the front. These guys will never be coaches, trade on hindsight/conventional wisdom and probably never win a tipping comp. What Gary Lyon says is media fodder and largely confected fluff.
Ain't that the truth.

farquhar
Club Player

Garry Lyon is a very poorly researched commentator. He will make inane comments such as "I haven't seen enough of XXXX player or XXXX team". Usually they are a non-Victorian team. He thinks it is still the VFL. He has very little idea about anything outside of Victoria. Why he is employed is a mystery.

Time for goal-kicking practice
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

bangaulegend wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021 8:12pm
I agree saynta we were playing pretty well but execution was killing us. Then Westcoast folded like wet cardboard & we owned them
I dont
"poor execution" is poor footy and I dont think its just semantics
Our conversion rate was shocking - some dogs of shots on goal
At half time I think the players had to be reminded that bruise free footy is what caused problems the week before and they got their act together
We tightened up & Tackles went through the roof - and yes then Weagles could not respond

Seeya
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The better skilled team took the lead in the first half. The more determined team won the game.
Our goal kicking went bad in the third, before that, we were just out classed but not out of our depth.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Spot on. The stats in all key aspects of the match up until half time bear this out. At that stage, we were in front in all of them (except the scoreboard).

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 14 Apr 2021 3:47pm The better skilled team took the lead in the first half. The more determined team won the game.
Our goal kicking went bad in the third, before that, we were just out classed but not out of our depth.
I agree too. Even though I said i agree with Saynta that we were having a go ion the first half..I don't know the stats but it seemed we were getting entries.

BUt that is the thing. We cannot be expected to gel with manic intent every quarter of every game. It is like a warbird on emergency military power...it can fly like that for twenty minutes..

So I am thinking, perhaps the experience of doing that together as a team, will be like a kind of muscle memory - but in a mental sense - and that we can tap that energy at the right time, sparingly but most of all, we won't drop our heads when we fall behind - which looks like what happened against Essendon from afar.

And now that we have HIll and Crouch (and I would say Hannebury except that would make it sarcastic, even if I meant it) and others with experience, perhaps we can use graft and skill to level out the dips...

I confess, i really have no idea what i am talking about...but as a spectator, we all know the collective feeling..and yes, I am sure Garry Lyon and co. pander and cater to that. (I actually once read a well thought out critic pointing out that Spud - despite his buffoonery and self-depreciation, which the critic didn't like - was one of the few commercial commentators who could actually make a meaningful and insightful comment about the way the game was going internally that made sense for us in the audience. Go Spud RIP.)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

MickThomas wrote: Wed 14 Apr 2021 1:00am I've watched the game 4 times, and I think half way thru the third, we seemed to be setting up differently.
The guys were much closer to the ball carrier than earlier, and therefore giving the WCE less time to kick or handball.

Maybe they were reading the play better.
They were still letting guys like Barrass take intercept marks, but when the ball was in dispute, they closed in harder.
It's hard to figure out, but the commentators at one point said Handballs were 45 to 12 or something.
So we were getting possies and sharing.
Good post
Yes we tried all game but even Simpson conceded after halftime pressure went up a level and they could not handle it.
Likewise Ratten said in his presser they did recognise some structural shifts around the ball they needed to change. They obviously did.
The BIG question (and I expect not to win this game as I know Richmond are a better, more skilful and hardened side right now but I’m not after a pantsing), CAN St Kilda back up that pressure from last week????. That’s our test.
IF we can bring it and even if we lose I walk away knowing the foundation is there for the rest of the season and that with that pressure game we’ll win a lot of games
I still believe we need to add another genuine A Grade midfielder to that core - I think a player like Merret is exactly what we need, can spread win a ball good by foot...but I’d have a crack at Dunkley also if I could..

“Yeah….nah””
MickThomas
Club Player

I don't expect a similar level of pressure will be sustained against the Tigers.
They might do it for the first half, but fatigue may set in.
At half time, Hardwick will change things up and Dustt will do some of his trademark freaky goals.

But we'll learn from the WCE game that we *can* bring it, so I fully expect that sort of style against Port Adel.

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I see Roughy agrees with me.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I want to win every game in every season.

Last week was great fun and exposed our potential.

This week we shall feel the rage of the Tigers.
I see a hard fought 4-6 goal loss.
We lack team depth + recovery time was limited + Tigers are ready to kill + we have little ruck support = beat down.

I just hope it's not a deflating loss.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Thu 15 Apr 2021 4:27pm This week we shall feel the rage of the Tigers.
We lack team depth + recovery time was limited + Tigers are ready to kill + we have little ruck support = beat down.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

We will kill the Tiger.

If this guy Beetlejuice broke Bruce Lee's neck, we will break Dusty and Lynch and co.

In fact, if we ever need a fourth small forward, Beetlejuice is the man.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Thu 15 Apr 2021 5:17pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Thu 15 Apr 2021 4:27pm This week we shall feel the rage of the Tigers.

Unlike many on here, I do have faith and see a good solid medium-quick build happening. I saw us winning 8-12 games and still needing several KPP. I picked 8 last week and can show my tab receipt from picking saints by 18 pts over eagles.

I also see lots of ups and downs as we find the best players and keep drafting & trading for the ones we need. We can be top 4 in 2023 and maybe even be in the granny.

Dont give up people and for feck sake take the glasses off and see the team we are, building, exciting mixed with infuriating!

Go SAINTS!!!