Hill returns after brief trip to WA

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Hill returns after brief trip to WA

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/str ... 57ker.html

"Struggling Saint Hill returns after brief trip back to WA
Daniel Cherny
By Daniel Cherny
April 19, 2021 — 4.35pm

Bradley Hill has returned to Melbourne as he and St Kilda look to turn their flagging seasons around against high-flying Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval on Sunday night.

The much-maligned Saints wingman headed home to Western Australia following his side’s thrashing at the hands of Richmond at Marvel Stadium on Thursday night. Sources indicated the trip was pre-planned and unrelated to Hill’s on-field struggles. Instead, St Kilda’s 10-day break presented a good opportunity for Hill to visit loved ones in Perth before heading back to Victoria.

While far from alone in playing poorly against the Tigers, Hill’s 10-disposal showing helped ensure he was a lightning rod for criticism and vitriol from St Kilda fans, to the point the club issued an official statement via Twitter on Friday morning condemning “personal attacks on players or the minorities they may represent.” Hill was not the only player to come under fire from these online attacks but was the primary target.

The three-time Hawthorn premiership player has failed to consistently reach his best since being traded from Fremantle to the Saints at the end of 2019 on a long-term and lucrative deal, missing the top 10 of the best and fairest last year despite playing every game and averaging fewer than 18 disposals in five rounds to start 2021.

But St Kilda coach Brett Ratten was adamant after the Richmond game that Hill would not be dropped ahead of the meeting with the Power.

Having been thumped by Essendon in round three, the Saints responded with an inspired 40 minutes of football to overhaul West Coast at Marvel in round four. But they were unable to replicate anywhere near that showing against the Tigers.

The scale of St Kilda’s second-half capitulation against the reigning premiers was laid bare in several key statistics, including the fact the Saints had just 11 inside 50s after half-time; St Kilda’s lowest second-half inside 50 total since a 145-point loss to Hawthorn in round seven, 2014 at a wet MCG.

The second-half horror show against the Tigers also saw the Saints lose contested possessions by 32, clearances by 17 and inside 50s by 23.

St Kilda players reconvened at Moorabbin on Monday for a day of meetings and soul-searching. Zak Jones (managed) and Rowan Marshall (foot) should both return against the Power, while Paddy Ryder is also on the cusp of playing his first senior game for the year following a solid training block after leaving Victoria last month for personal reasons.
The Saints were thumped by Richmond last week.

The Saints were thumped by Richmond last week.

Veteran big man Shaun McKernan put his hand up for a senior recall with 23 disposals and four goals against Richmond in the VFL at Punt Road on Friday, while speedy young midfielder Ryan Byrnes had 22 disposals and a goal in what was his first game back from a hamstring injury.

Ratten said after Thursday night’s game that the Saints are keen to inject Byrnes into their side. He would potentially provide a point of difference from St Kilda’s current midfield led by Jack Steele and consisting of Jack Bytel, Brad Crouch, Seb Ross and Luke Dunstan, who filled in for Jones against the Tigers.

Jade Gresham is out for the season with an Achilles injury, while Dan Hannebery is a mid-season prospect because of his latest calf injury."

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hill returns after brief trip to WA

thats all a bit rude

:evil:
While far from alone in playing poorly against the Tigers, Hill’s 10-disposal showing helped ensure he was a lightning rod for criticism and vitriol from St Kilda fans, to the point the club issued an official statement via Twitter on Friday morning condemning “personal attacks on players or the minorities they may represent.” Hill was not the only player to come under fire from these online attacks but was the primary target.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Getting a bit desperate when the coach wants to inject a 2nd gamer into the side for a point of difference.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 8:40pm thats all a bit rude

Only a small % of the population earns $900K + per year. They must be a fragile lot....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The criticism of Brad is becoming or already is a self fulfilling prophesy/witch hunt. Honestly, are we not better than a mob with pitchforks - perhaps not. Will Brad recover his wonderful skills if enough people boo. It's such banal rubbish. Do some actually want him to fail and are reveling in it. Love a scape goat. Did he tread on Marshall's foot. Keep at it Brad there are enough of us that hope you succeed. I think? Or are we unforgiving, incapable of analysis pricks. Remember its a market place for talent, if the club makes an incorrect purchase - and I don't for a moment think it has - why be so awful to a good man who simply accepted a goodfaith offer in marvellous Melbourne. Some of the OP titles on here have been gutter stuff and in no way consistent with our motto. I wonder why there is a policy on political posts but vilification of Brad is fair game. You know Paddy is reading all the crap about Bradley, how's that going down, you might wonder.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 8:51pm Getting a bit desperate when the coach wants to inject a 2nd gamer into the side for a point of difference.
yes
saw that

lol
thought best to gloss over that bit

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 10:18pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 8:51pm Getting a bit desperate when the coach wants to inject a 2nd gamer into the side for a point of difference.
yes
saw that

lol
He has pace. Something that is sadly lacking in the midfield without Gresh and Jones, most of the others looking like they are running on a treadmill.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 11:17pm
yes
saw that

lol
He has pace. Something that is sadly lacking in the midfield without Gresh and Jones, most of the others looking like they are running on a treadmill.
Our over use of handball was one of the issues, as were our kicks inside 50. One of our better kicks in JB was one of the main culprits

The footy usually travels a lot quicker than a player can run. We just need to be smarter with ball in hand and I'm not sure Byrnes is the answer

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 8:54pm

Only a small % of the population earns $900K + per year. They must be a fragile lot....
I'm proud of our club if it chose not to ignore or excuse racist posts because a highly paid player didn't perform on the weekend

Please don't trivialise the real concern here.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Geez a trip to Perth between games isn't a good look most weeks in any season but in the current climate should Hill have re considered the trip. The only exception would be if it is for health and/or family reasons. But the article makes it sound like it was just a scheduled (pre planned) trip just for a home visit. That sounds like special treatment . Acting like a Rock Star won't earn you respect with your team-mates. I wonder how his team mates have felt this week at training with the bitter taste of massive defeats swirling around in their mouths and a season in tatters while the Rock Star is on special club pre approved leave.

I've been supportive of Brad up until now but the Perth trip isn't sitting well with me. Like I say if it's for health and/or family reasons then fair enough, but if it's just a visit allowed as part of his contract then that's a different story and a sign the club didn't see this s*** storm coming.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Don't pick on Hill- he should be doing a lot more IMO, but the club chased him, recruited him, and is playing him...same goes for Hunter, Wood and McKernan. Direct any anger towards Lethlean, Ratts and co.

Laurie
Club Player

Agree re anger towards Lethlean and co.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021 2:51am
saintsRrising wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 8:54pm

I'm proud of our club if it chose not to ignore or excuse racist posts because a highly paid player didn't perform on the weekend

Please don't trivialise the real concern here.

I am not trivialising it. I believe that the vast majority of the angst BOTH this year and last is due to the very large $$$ that he is on and that apart from the rare game he has not delivered. You might have the odd racist making comments which is not acceptable and is why the club said what it did, but that is not what the vast majority are not happy about and is why the angst will not go away if he continues to underperform.

I see the same angst against Hannas for not getting on the park, and in continually breaking down.

Both are very talented players, but both have not delivered value in their time to date at the Saints.

Which is not to say that Rats and Lethlean etc are not part of the problem. And especially with Hill as the trade cost to get him was massive.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 21 Apr 2021 10:11am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021 2:45am
yes
saw that

lol
Our over use of handball was one of the issues, as were our kicks inside 50. One of our better kicks in JB was one of the main culprits

The footy usually travels a lot quicker than a player can run. We just need to be smarter with ball in hand and I'm not sure Byrnes is the answer
I agree to a point but Gresham and Jones' ability to break away from a contest creates time and space and forces the opposition to be more accountable at the clearance and less likely to hold off the contest in anticipation of a clearance. Add the loss of Marshall and Ryder and you get where we are at.
I think the confidence/decision making is only one aspect.
We seem to all chase the ball and fall into bad structure, the oppo seem to be able guard space easily and break away.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021 7:57am Geez a trip to Perth between games isn't a good look most weeks in any season but in the current climate should Hill have re considered the trip. The only exception would be if it is for health and/or family reasons. But the article makes it sound like it was just a scheduled (pre planned) trip just for a home visit. That sounds like special treatment . Acting like a Rock Star won't earn you respect with your team-mates. I wonder how his team mates have felt this week at training with the bitter taste of massive defeats swirling around in their mouths and a season in tatters while the Rock Star is on special club pre approved leave.

I've been supportive of Brad up until now but the Perth trip isn't sitting well with me. Like I say if it's for health and/or family reasons then fair enough, but if it's just a visit allowed as part of his contract then that's a different story and a sign the club didn't see this s*** storm coming.
i’d reckon that ... ‘pre-approved’ is code
for ... go ‘n have a quick hello with those that matter

see ya back here pronto

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021 12:15pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021 7:57am Geez a trip to Perth between games isn't a good look most weeks in any season but in the current climate should Hill have re considered the trip. The only exception would be if it is for health and/or family reasons. But the article makes it sound like it was just a scheduled (pre planned) trip just for a home visit. That sounds like special treatment . Acting like a Rock Star won't earn you respect with your team-mates. I wonder how his team mates have felt this week at training with the bitter taste of massive defeats swirling around in their mouths and a season in tatters while the Rock Star is on special club pre approved leave.

i’d reckon that ... ‘pre-approved’ is code
for ... go ‘n have a quick hello with those that matter

see ya back here pronto
Yeah then the club should expect blow back and hard and internally. The optics for a trip to Perth for anything other than an emergency is extremely damaging to the point of there may be no return. It's Rock Star treatment and could have a very unstabilising effect on team-mates. I'm now starting to think there is a reason why the players don't want to give him the ball.

The PR machine will be earning their coin real soon me thinks.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

"personal attacks on players" (re: courage/ example / bruise free???)

To my knowledge it is not only the St Kilda supporters that have been highlighting how poor his return is but highly paid people in the media.

"or the minorities they may represent."

To my knowledge no one on this forum has racially vilified him, whatever other social media / media outlets who have allowed those attacks should be held to account (charged) as well as the owner of that social media account.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Hopefully he comes back refreshed & ready to rumble

MickThomas
Club Player

Kids playing junior footy usually wear their fav team guernsey to training.
Here's my take on fave numbers
4, 9, 12, 16, 28.

How many kids chose #8?
And how many asked their mums to replace it with another, after getting burnt by their mates?
Hey?
Just a thought

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
MickThomas
Club Player

A few yrs ago, during a bye, I think Armo n 3 team-mates drove to Byron Bay for some surfing.
It was def surfing in Nth NSW, and it was 3-4 Saints, but I could have the players wrong.

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
MickThomas
Club Player

Perth is under a 3 day lockdown from midnight tonight. 3 new Covid cases.
Will Brad have to do 14 day quarantine?
He was in Perth visiting family.
Did he travel in the same plane as any of the 3 ppl who tested positive?
Did he get covid n give it to Hunter Clark, who now has 'the flu' but was sent to get a covid test a few days ago to rule it out?
Blessing in disguise

Listen, any Vics who were in Perth Metro during Apr 17-23, must quarantine for 14 days.
When did Brad jump on a plane to Melb? Perth Airport is in the Red Zone.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

MickThomas wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 6:17pm Perth is under a 3 day lockdown from midnight tonight. 3 new Covid cases.
Did he get covid n give it to Hunter Clark, who now has 'the flu' but was sent to get a covid test a few days ago to rule it out?
Blessing in disguise

Listen, any Vics who were in Perth Metro during Apr 17-23, must quarantine for 14 days.
Not so.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saynta wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 11:40am
MickThomas wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 6:17pm Perth is under a 3 day lockdown from midnight tonight. 3 new Covid cases.
Blessing in disguise

Not so.
"Not so" is not saying much at all.

I think if Hill was in Perth during Apr 17-23, he might need a Covid test, and has to isolate until it comes back negative.
The thing is, sometimes (IIRC) a person can test negative, but a few days later, they can test positive?
He won't have to quarantine, I don't think

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

That’s also because the PCR test has a high error rate.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
silverhalo
Club Player

yes
saw that

lol
Brilliant decision to trade out Nick Hind for next to nothing wasn't it......could have definitely used his blistering pace right now