The desire for multi positional players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The desire for multi positional players

The continuous push from clubs and coaches to move players from positions and roles they are good at and play them elsewhere. It rarely if ever works and often it's detrimental to both a players output and the teams. TAC cup teams are turning kids away because there forwards that can't play back and backs that can't kick goals. The constant quest to reinvent roles often just pushes good players to find opportunity elsewhere.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: The desire for multi positional players

What’s wrong with playing Carlisle in the ruck one week, the forward ruck, then forward, then in backline and forward

And who doesn’t love Battle starting on a wing, playing forward, then settling as a defender before being thrust back forward

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I think the absence of Ryder/Marshall for most of the season really forced them to be creative with Carlisle’s role.

With both back, I’d settle Carlisle (if fit) back at CHB because the defence has looked structurally unsound all season.

Was It Carlisle to whom you were referring Curly, or someone else?

Personally, I don’t mind them swapping players roles around a bit, particularly for structural reasons.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 12:41pm I think the absence of Ryder/Marshall for most of the season really forced them to be creative with Carlisle’s role.

With both back, I’d settle Carlisle (if fit) back at CHB because the defence has looked structurally unsound all season.

Personally, I don’t mind them swapping players roles around a bit, particularly for structural reasons.
Sinclair, Clarke, Carlisle and many others.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 11:55am The continuous push from clubs and coaches to move players from positions and roles they are good at and play them elsewhere. It rarely if ever works and often it's detrimental to both a players output and the teams. TAC cup teams are turning kids away because there forwards that can't play back and backs that can't kick goals. The constant quest to reinvent roles often just pushes good players to find opportunity elsewhere.
Who do you think should be our back pockets on the resting rover and ruck man this week?

Who should be our 19th & 20th men?

In swimming your gun junior backstroker still swims all strokes in training and lower level competition. A gun single skuller will still row is quads etc as they develop. In most if not the high majority of elite sport it’s the same, you develop differently with age.

In footy you may change your position as you grow or develop and learning these skills at a young age is advantageous. Most good medium sized kids are pure ball hunting mids as juniors so adaptability is important for development.

Adding Strings to the Bow is assisting development not retarding it. Those getting turned away are obviously not to the standard required be it ability or flexibility on positions.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 1:24pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 11:55am The continuous push from clubs and coaches to move players from positions and roles they are good at and play them elsewhere. It rarely if ever works and often it's detrimental to both a players output and the teams. TAC cup teams are turning kids away because there forwards that can't play back and backs that can't kick goals. The constant quest to reinvent roles often just pushes good players to find opportunity elsewhere.
Who do you think should be our back pockets on the resting rover and ruck man this week?

In swimming your gun junior backstroker still swims all strokes in training and lower level competition. A gun single skuller will still row is quads etc as they develop. In most if not the high majority of elite sport it’s the same, you develop differently with age.

In footy you may change your position as you grow or develop and learning these skills at a young age is advantageous. Most good medium sized kids are pure ball hunting mids as juniors so adaptability is important for development.

Adding Strings to the Bow is assisting development not retarding it. Those getting turned away are obviously not to the standard required be it ability or flexibility on positions.

Of course but then there are kids that are natural forwards or natural defenders. Players come into the system playing good footy then are moved into foreign roles. Yes I get learning new roles growing up is important but moving players that are holding down important roles to then play them in roles that don't suit their skillset can be career killers.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 12:58pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 12:41pm I think the absence of Ryder/Marshall for most of the season really forced them to be creative with Carlisle’s role.

If you are saying that because Clark started as a half back flanker he should remain there forever more, then I disagree. Don’t forget he was a midfielder as a junior for a start.

I think we need some creativity in the middle at the moment and I’d be looking in Clark’s direction.

If things aren’t working - and they aren’t - you need to try things.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 1:24pm

I agree to a point. Naturally players have to adapt during the match and circumstances dictate that sometimes players take on different roles for a variety of reasons.

I do think however that structurally we are a gaping mess with a number of players floating all over the place and not settling into a position/role

The backline has copped it the worst

This was our super backline last season
Wilke, Howard, Paton
Coffield, Carlisle, Clark

With Long rotating with Clark when he went to the middle

Now obviously you can’t do anything about Paton or Geary going down... but here’s what I don’t like:

Carlisle is out, comes in as a ruck, then plays forward and pinch hits down back
Battle is freakin all over the place... looks best in the backline but also playing forward and on a wing

Clark is spending a bit more time in the middle and we’re seeing Sinclair play in the quarter back role but he’s not as good defensively and Clark is hot and miss in the middle

Long... goodness knows what’s happening with him. He can’t play 2 games in a row without being a sub

Highmore and Joyce have come in too and Webster has been tried and admittedly been decent which exceeded my expectations

To me... it’s just a freakin mess

We’re playing like we don’t have a coherent structure or style because we don’t and I’d like to see our players settle into positions

For the backline at least it should be
Wilke, Howard, Webster/Long
Clarke, Battle, Coffield

Get Sinclair out of there and put him in the middle where his skill set is needed, leave Clark on the flank... Highmore can be an extra tall on the bench if needed

If we don’t like Long there anymore then send him forward for a stint and let’s see that aggression at that side

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 1:32pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 12:58pm

If you are saying that because Clark started as a half back flanker he should remain there forever more, then I disagree. Don’t forget he was a midfielder as a junior for a start.

I think we need some creativity in the middle at the moment and I’d be looking in Clark’s direction.

If things aren’t working - and they aren’t - you need to try things.
I do agree with Clarke to an extent as players do tend to serve time before moving into full time midfielders.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 12:24pm What’s wrong with playing Carlisle in the ruck one week, the forward ruck, then forward, then in backline and forward

And who doesn’t love Battle starting on a wing, playing forward, then settling as a defender before being thrust back forward
I reckon we've properly buggered up Battle's development with this approach. He doesn't seem to know what he's supposed to be doing.