Jack Billings, stay or leave?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jack Billings, stay or leave?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... d71f8c5942

"Jack Billings contract: Should St Kilda let free agent leave at end of AFL season?

Facing a long season beset by injuries, St Kilda has a chance to snare two top-10 draft picks. But it needs to sacrifice a star to make that happen.

AFL: Port Adelaide put a beating on a sorry St Kilda side at Adelaide Oval, kicking 14 goals to the Saints' 5.

St Kilda has been urged to do everything in its power to re-sign free agent Jack Billings, despite the appeal of a possible top-five draft pick as compensation.

Billings, 25, said this month he was in no rush to talk turkey and was instead focused on playing football.

Rival clubs believe Billings is gettable, although there has only been lukewarm interest in the playmaker so far.

If the Saints were to miss finals and receive “band one” compensation for Billings, they would walk away with two top-10 picks in this year’s draft.

They do not have a second-round pick and only entered the 2019 draft at pick 52 (Ryan Byrnes) and the 2020 draft at pick 26 (Matthew Allison).

However “band one” compensation would only be triggered if Billings accepted a mega contract offer in excess of $700,000 per season elsewhere, similar to Joe Daniher’s deal at Brisbane Lions.

On market value, Billings would probably command around $600,000 per season, which would generate either an end-of-first-round or second-round compensation selection.
Bradley Hill and Jack Billings were St Kilda’s regular wingmen in the first month of the season.

The man who recruited Billings at pick No. 3 in the 2013 draft – Chris Pelchen – said his worth to the Saints transcended on-field input.

“Jack Billings is very much a player they can build their leadership group around over the next five or six years,” Pelchen told the Herald Sun.

“I would be hesitant to trade him out even though there would be interest – I know Essendon have had an ongoing interest in Jack – and the fact he’s a player that can be more easily covered than a key-position player like Max King or a Rowan Marshall.”
Jack Billings has a big call to make on his St Kilda future.

St Kilda has the AFL’s oldest list and will soon need to replace Paddy Ryder, 33, captain Jarryn Geary, 32, Dan Hannebery, 30 and Jake Carlisle, 29, in their best 22.

Veterans James Frawley, 32 and Shaun McKernan, 30, are also nearing the end.

Dylan Roberton has retired. Pelchen said Billings was needed for a “level of maturity and continuity” when those players exit Moorabbin.

Billings has managed only 14 disposals in the past two heavy defeats and has not hit the scoreboard.

Coach Brett Ratten has played Billings almost as an exclusive forward in that time, after he snapped his plantar fascia on the eve of Round 6.

Before that it was Billings the wingman, a role which has since been given to Daniel McKenzie and Josh Battle, supporting permanent winger Bradley Hill.

Brett Ratten has had his game plan unpicked this season.

That isn’t an outlandish opinion, it is the appraisal from St Kilda midfielder Seb Ross after the first six rounds.

“I think teams are playing us a little bit differently this year,” Ross said.

“Last year we were really attacking and getting the ball in deep, and kicking goals from 0-30m.

“Teams are obviously wary of that, so they force us to kick short, which is not something we want to do.

“We’re sort of starving big Maxy (King) of opportunities.”.

The refreshing honesty came after the club’s third 50-point drubbing in four weeks. It was on the money.

Last season the Saints were ranked No. 1 for goals kicked inside 15m.

This year they are 10th. Last season the Saints only took 25 per cent of their shots from 41-50m.

This year it is 36 per cent. Last season the Saints were ranked 3rd for converting inside 50s to goals. This year they are 17th.

The Saints generated so many ‘gimmes’ last season that they couldn’t miss.

They were ranked No. 2 in the AFL for accuracy, but that has slipped to 11th in 2021.

King has managed just two goals from 0-30m after five full-length games.

Last season he booted 13 from close range in 18 shortened games.

Likewise, Dan Butler booted 21 out of his 29 majors from near the goalmouth in 2020. How many times did Butler stream into an open goal?

The Saints matched Port Adelaide’s 52 inside 50s on Sunday night, but did not get bang for buck.

“We just don’t get the scoreboard nourishment that other teams are getting,” Ratten examined.

“Our inability to score, which was a great strength of ours from an accuracy point of view and a potency point of view, has dried up.”

It’s shaping up as a dreary year. The Saints rank 17th for goals, ahead of only North Melbourne, and 17th for defence, again, ahead of only North Melbourne.

Their percentage of 67 is the club’s worst since the 2014 wooden-spoon season, and second-worst since 1985.

Former Saint Leigh Montagna said they had played just four good quarters out of 24 for the season.

Nick Dal Santo reckons they’ve “lost their spark” and their “mojo”.

Has Ratten been too forgiving at selection? Paddy Ryder will return against Hawthorn on Saturday although Bradley Hill (Achilles) will miss.

Luke Dunstan’s 46 VFL disposals might be rewarded, but there isn’t exactly a queue of elite, young talent buried beneath the surface.

The Saints have lost centre clearance by 10 in each of the past two weeks.

If captain Jack Steele or recruit Brad Crouch doesn’t win it, chances are the other team does, particularly with Jade Gresham (Achilles) out for the year.

The Saints are ranked 17th at centre bounce, compared to fourth last year.

Western Bulldogs have two of the AFL’s top five centre-bounce players – Tom Liberatore and Jack Macrae – but, outside of Steele, it is hard yakka for the Saints.

“Players are trying to find a way but our style of play isn’t shining through how we’d like to,” Ratten said.
More Coverage
Saints need ‘scoring nourishment’ after horror loss Big money man in the gun as injuries hit St Kilda

“The season’s a marathon but you’ve got to get going at certain stages or the time will run out.”

The Saints will start favourites against Hawthorn and Gold Coast (Metricon Stadium) before battles against Geelong and Western Bulldogs. They are on the clock."

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Jack Billings, stay or leave?

IMO he's a good player but not a great player & I don't know if he has what it takes to become a great player. Personally if we could get a high first round pick I would seriously consider it but if not I would keep him. We may not get to choose if someone else is willing to pay more than us he might walk anyway.

older saint
SS Life Member

If not getting a first round pick with ours then keep ( which would mean he needs to be offered $700k plus per year, not likely) .

IMportant player and some stuff he does is underrated IMO

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Would prefer him to stay but it depends on compensation.

Top ten - yes!
Late round 1st or 2nd round pick - no!
Last edited by Joffa Burns on Tue 27 Apr 2021 4:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He’s been close to our best this season. Keep him

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 11:34am Depends on compensation.

Top ten - yes!
Late round 1st or 2nd round pick - no!
I agree unfortunately.

I like Jack and think he is a great player, has been top 3 for us this year, and I would 100% want to keep him if we were going well like last year.

But if we continue on as we have started and can get a top 5 pick for him, I'd take it. But if it was outside the top 10 I'd prefer to keep him.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I hope he stays. He does have a resolve about him. It is not his fault he's had to play in our dysfunctional forward line because Lonie, Butler & Higgins cannot get near it & Gresham is injured. He was Top 2 with Steele two rounds ago. He needs to play on the wing & through the middle but those positions are given to the limited.

I do wish he was a yard or two quicker.

In the end we may not get a choice.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The vultures are starting to swarm over the carcass.

Sad.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
repta
Club Player

To all the clubs out there .... Jack is BRILLIANT, so much potential. Certainly worth $700++ a year. Absolute bargain at that price.

My sales job done.

Reminds me a bit of Luke Ball. Cant kick further than 35m and shows ALOT of promise and never quite gets there.
(but doesnt have any of Ball's toughness)

If we can get a Second first round pick it would be a great result. (cant see anyone paying the $700k though). He is not a marquee player that you can build a team around. Patchy and inconsistent even within games, cant remember a time he completely dominated. Has major stage fright (eg wouldnt back him from 10m out directly in front).
He is one of those players people think that are better than they actually are.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

If the saints could get a decent first round pick for Billings then it's worth doing, however, you can't trust St Kilda's recruiters to spend the first round picks wisely.

Good luck Saints with that one.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Laurie
Club Player

Definitely put him up for trade should have traded him when the injectors inquired about him

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 3:21pm To all the clubs out there .... Jack is BRILLIANT, so much potential. Certainly worth $700++ a year. Absolute bargain at that price.

My sales job done.

Reminds me a bit of Luke Ball. Cant kick further than 35m and shows ALOT of promise and never quite gets there.

If we can get a Second first round pick it would be a great result. (cant see anyone paying the $700k though). He is not a marquee player that you can build a team around. Patchy and inconsistent even within games, cant remember a time he completely dominated. Has major stage fright (eg wouldnt back him from 10m out directly in front).
He's better than Hannebery & Hill (at this point in time in his and their careers) and some idiot club reportedly paid $800K for each of them.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Never been a fan but we've already turned over too many home-grown players. Keep him as long as he doesn't overprice himself.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I actually reckon he wants to stay.

See what happens.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 3:21pm To all the clubs out there .... Jack is BRILLIANT, so much potential. Certainly worth $700++ a year. Absolute bargain at that price.

My sales job done.

If we struggle to get first round picks correct, what makes you think we could nail a 2nd round pick? Again, the club's problem is not Jack Billings.

Why would any club offer JB a better deal than St Kilda? Our "supporters" don't rate him, why should another club?

Hannebery & Hill are currently our two headed anchor in terms of salary cap & list management. One can turn it around, the other must retire by season's end.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

My sales job done.

You are absolutely wrong about not being able to kick more than 35m. That's just made up rubbish!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The top 20 from the 2013 Draft:

1 Tom Boyd Greater Western Sydney
2 Josh Kelly Greater Western Sydney
3 Jack Billings St Kilda
4 Marcus Bontempelli Western Bulldogs
5 Kade Kolodjashnij Gold Coast
6 Matthew Scharenberg Collingwood
7 James Aish Brisbane Lions
8 Luke McDonald North Melbourne
9 Christian Salem Melbourne
10 Nathan Freeman Collingwood
11 Dom Sheed West Coast Subiaco
12 Ben Lennon Richmond
13 Patrick Cripps Carlton East Fremantle
14 Cam McCarthy Greater Western Sydney
15 Zak Jones Sydney
16 Darcy Lang Geelong
17 Michael Apeness Fremantle
18 Luke Dunstan St Kilda
19 Blake Acres St Kilda
20 Jack Leslie Gold Coast

Five out of the 20 have been at the Saints. Easy to be wise after the event, but it would be nice to be wise at the event every now and then.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Good player played out of position

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I would consider microwave option if he was let go for less than we paid for Hill!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I would consider microwave option if he was let go for less than we paid for Hill!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 11:22am If not getting a first round pick with ours then keep ( which would mean he needs to be offered $700k plus per year, not likely) .

IMportant player and some stuff he does is underrated IMO
Totally agree, if he doesnt attract an offer sufficient to activate a 1st round pick then we should re-sign him.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Are we guaranteed anything better with a late first rounder?

Maybe we can get a Tom Lee or Tom Hickey or Billy Longer type?

Like we did for BJ and Dal

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 5:34pm The top 20 from the 2013 Draft:

1 Tom Boyd Greater Western Sydney
2 Josh Kelly Greater Western Sydney
3 Jack Billings St Kilda
4 Marcus Bontempelli Western Bulldogs
5 Kade Kolodjashnij Gold Coast
6 Matthew Scharenberg Collingwood
7 James Aish Brisbane Lions
8 Luke McDonald North Melbourne
9 Christian Salem Melbourne
10 Nathan Freeman Collingwood
11 Dom Sheed West Coast Subiaco
12 Ben Lennon Richmond
13 Patrick Cripps Carlton East Fremantle
14 Cam McCarthy Greater Western Sydney
15 Zak Jones Sydney
16 Darcy Lang Geelong
17 Michael Apeness Fremantle
18 Luke Dunstan St Kilda
19 Blake Acres St Kilda
20 Jack Leslie Gold Coast

Five out of the 20 have been at the Saints. Easy to be wise after the event, but it would be nice to be wise at the event every now and then.
There's a few very good players in that top 20, but overall that draft was a stinker for quality.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
spert
Saintsational Legend

If he wants to stay then OK. We should keep him as he is good player with good skills, but not elite. I would like to see him just get his head over the ball a bit more and commit more physically to the contest(same as most of our forwards and mids).