"What on earth is going on down there?"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

"What on earth is going on down there?"

"I suppose when you win one premiership by one point in 150-years, you're always lamenting what might have been."

Never a truer St Kilda sentence spoken 😔

"There's no better person to ask about leadership, history and club culture, than former Saints player, administrator and coach, Grant Thomas. After another disastrous 2021 loss - this time to the Adelaide Crows - we have to ask the question: "What's going on at Moorabbin?""

https://unpluggered.captivate.fm/episod ... ant-thomas

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: "What on earth is going on down there?"

Thanks nick. Good, empathetic and depressing all at once. Seems they and GT simply don't think we can get there from here* and I find it hard to disagree - seems those running the Club are out of ideas even if they are capable (?). Podcasters ended by hoping for a miracle tonight or failing that 4 qtrs of effort. So do I, that's sort of what we do isn't it. If no miracle or effort what then.

*acknowledgement to Irish.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

stop with the weasel word "effort"
Because when the guys walk off at the end, heaving and sweating, "effort" means
"look, at least they tried, hey, give them a break, they need our support, pat them on the back for trying"

WTAF

You don't reward and congratulate "effort", you congratulate RESULTS and SKILL and CARRYING OUT TASKS EFFICIENTLY and EFFECTIVELY

STOP SAYING EFFORT

"effort" means patting guys like Lonie on the back, for "pressure acts" and running etc
and lets us IGNORE his shortcomings like a lack of size/strength/inability to kick over a jam tin (not his fault, it's genetics)
Not picking on Lonie, just using the little bowling pin as an example, and there's a lot more "efforts" like his, that are WASTED EFFORTS

Jack Higgins getting Sainter of The Day even though he kicked all those points
AAAARRRGGHHH at least he had a crack, ey

Get the DAMN GOALS and he earns the SOTD for me

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 25 Jun 2021 1:42pm stop with the weasel word "effort"
"look, at least they tried, hey, give them a break, they need our support, pat them on the back for trying"

WTAF

You don't reward and congratulate "effort", you congratulate RESULTS and SKILL and CARRYING OUT TASKS EFFICIENTLY and EFFECTIVELY

STOP SAYING EFFORT

"effort" means patting guys like Lonie on the back, for "pressure acts" and running etc
and lets us IGNORE his shortcomings like a lack of size/strength/inability to kick over a jam tin (not his fault, it's genetics)
Not picking on Lonie, just using the little bowling pin as an example, and there's a lot more "efforts" like his, that are WASTED EFFORTS

Yeah Sainter of the Day to Higgins was probably as embarrising for Higgins as it was for everyone else. I reckon someone needs to tap the marketing department on the shoulder after a horrendous loss and give them the week off and just get the marketing staff to hand out sponsor products at the gates in the following game.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Guys guys guys. WTF. Apart from the last minute or so that was a depressing hour and a half that I will never get back.

And thanks a million Grant. I'm 76 soon and according to him, I probably wont see another premiership in the next decade , which effectively means in my lifetime.

And I was in a good mood this morning.

Our season actually started going downhill before it started, from the moment Roughy jumped all over Paton who was destined to star this year. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 25 Jun 2021 2:21pm

WTAF

STOP SAYING EFFORT

Yeah Sainter of the Day to Higgins was probably as embarrising for Higgins as it was for everyone else. I reckon someone needs to tap the marketing department on the shoulder after a horrendous loss and give them the week off and just get the marketing staff to hand out sponsor products at the gates in the following game.
Dare Sainter of the round is something the supporters vote on. Nothing to do with the club.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 25 Jun 2021 4:13pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 25 Jun 2021 2:21pm

WTAF

STOP SAYING EFFORT

Dare Sainter of the round is something the supporters vote on. Nothing to do with the club.
Still embarrassing

Laurie
Club Player

Its a circus at Moorabbin.
I have conceded i will not see them win another premiership in my time let alone make a grand final.
BOOM BOOM

Sanctorum
Club Player

I'm not a fan of Grant Thomas and certainly felt he had a lot of shortcomings as St Kilda coach, however I found a lot of his observations on the status quo at the Saints were spot on in this podcast.

He stopped short of naming names but his assessment that the current off-field leaders of the club are not up to scratch and that the club is far from united is a strong factor in the team's demise. His reference to dissension in the playing group, based on the non-performance of high-priced recruit Dan Hannebery, and gross under-performance of Bradley Hill, the other high-priced recruit, is disturbing, and does not augur well for the future.

Of course there are many people on this forum who will regard whatever GT has to say about St Kilda with a rock of salt, as I certainly do, but it is hard to disagree with the overall perception that the club and team are going through very difficult times in 2021. It is certainly apparent in the public demeanour of Brett Ratten, who looks like a broken man....

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

A lot of teams won't win premierships. That's not it for me so much. Its the long term foolishness coughed up by the Saints - that's if their mission is winning football games.

I doubt it is; wish AFL would remind them, say bring in a rule if a team does not improve two years in a row half footy department has to go, nothing in third year the other half. Every loss of more than 60 points with 22 fit players 7% off coaches contract for year. I imagine the kind understanding rhetoric would change and requests for family leave treated with a bit more weight to team performance. Here's a hypothetical: if Ross was told we need you, we can provide a nappy service, a cleaner and a nanny for the time you are away as you can't afford it can you, but he still goes what then. For me its fine go, but don't expect to play first grade again - you are far from indispensable in the medium term and won't impact where we finish - but that particular game could have and probably lost sponsors.

We were on separate rolls with GT and RL but management was too inept/weak to see their weaknesses and make adjustments or contingency plans. Watters selection was idiotic, Richo's a soft cop out as he did just enough to make it look like we were being coached. Meanwhile back at the ranch - what was Matt Finnes' career objectives. Clearly didn't/doesn't include winning a premiership for the Saints. Starting to wonder about Lethlean too.

Are there any visionaries on the Board or do they rock up for honorariums, nibbles and drinks and swallow whatever the CEO and COO serve up. Its the players they are told, down to the players (so who chooses them? Are they imposed on you? If they are un-coachable why are we paying a coach..). Pyramid schemes have more gravitas than Saints management - they don't deserve their fanatical fan base.

So again prove me an idiot by playing great tonight, go on.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 25 Jun 2021 6:07pm but that particular game could have and probably lost sponsors.
I mean that's just dumb. That week we literally confirmed a new major partner, Genius Childcare, of all things. So that "loss of sponsors" argument is rubbish.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote: Fri 25 Jun 2021 7:00pm
Yorkeys wrote: Fri 25 Jun 2021 6:07pm but that particular game could have and probably lost sponsors.
I mean that's just dumb. That week we literally confirmed a new major partner, Genius Childcare, of all things. So that "loss of sponsors" argument is rubbish.
If we don't show some spirit in the second half of the season then sponsors and memberships certainly won't be increasing in 2022.

This against the backdrop of the AFL losing $15 million in the last few weeks due to COVID... and we haven't hit winter proper yet.

Make no mistake about it, financial pressure is real in the AFL industry right now.

If we turn our toes up for the remainder of the season then financial pressure will be real at our club.