You stopped him from marking the ball.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

You stopped him from marking the ball.

The explanation the umpire gave to Howard in the Adelaide game. This gifted Adelaide a goal and ultimately the game. At the time it was one of the worse frees you’ll see and the explanation was far worse. This one horrendous free has us out of the 8 at present and could define our season.

Another night last night of umpires rewarding Sydney forwards frees while ignoring King getting continually infringed for zero reward. Buddy had two shots on goal both from free kicks. Something has to be done to stop umpires ignoring King being mauled.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: You stopped him from marking the ball.

Sorry to go off topic Curly, but they paid that 50 against Marshall and then totally ignored two blatant 50s.

The guy runs within 5m of Higgins and then doubles down by making a half hearted attempt to smother.

I’m not sure the umpire has read the new rules on “stand” but you can’t take two steps to the left to smother the ball. This was the Swans only goal in the second quarter.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Both just ignored. Set the standard early pinning Marshall in the first 2 minutes. Then just ignore that.

The Buddy free and goal in the first was horrendous. The umpire in the area didn’t pay it. Buddy had Wilkie by the jumper.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I would rather our players go out every single week and take control of a game and take luck out of the equation. If there are blatant errors and they cost us goals or we think clarification is required, then the club needs to go through the correct channels...but most of all remain respectful of the umpire fraternity

Jack Steele has been my favourite Saints player since 2017. Nearly every round this year he's played at an elite level and he's on track for back to back All Australian selection and back to back Trevor Barker Medals...but even he has off days and in some of his average performances he's turned it over and made poor decisions

The umpires aren't perfect. Mistakes will always be part of the game. It happens in every sport

Let's stop being a club full of whingers.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 10:24am Both just ignored. Set the standard early pinning Marshall in the first 2 minutes. Then just ignore that.

The Buddy free and goal in the first was horrendous. The umpire in the area didn’t pay it. Buddy had Wilkie by the jumper.
I'm watching the replay at the moment

Did you see Seb Ross in the first half where he dropped the footy -it was clearly incorrect disposal- in the centre (after he had prior) and because the ump was blind sided he just called play on.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 10:39am
CURLY wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 10:24am Both just ignored. Set the standard early pinning Marshall in the first 2 minutes. Then just ignore that.

Did you see Seb Ross in the first half where he dropped the footy -it was clearly incorrect disposal- in the centre (after he had prior) and because the ump was blind sided he just called play on.

Watching the reply too. Just saw Buddy headlock Wilkie no free.

Just trying to workout what the free against Membrey was for when we had the ball on the 50z

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 9:42am Something has to be done to stop umpires ignoring King being mauled.
Yeah, Rampe was all over him and we won’t get any help from the officialdom.

Max can look after himself okay, but you don’t want him distracted or risking suspension.

Needs an enforcer down there just to keep players like Rampe honest.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 10:11am...
Yes, two errors. In the first instance, players are in fact permitted to run within the protected arc if they are going to the interchange and do not interfere with the play. The umpire called play on and the Swans player changed his mind and interfered. I think it should have been fifty. In the second instance, it was clear that the player on the mark moved sideways before play on was called. It should have been fifty. The reason it wasn't was due to the "if a player stuffs up - let it go" rule which doesn't exist but is often seen.

Perhaps kosi you can school us in how you were able to insert the appropriate links which is brilliant.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 10:43am
Perhaps kosi you can school us in how you were able to insert the appropriate links which is brilliant.
I have not done it - but I believe the process is:-

- Go to https://streamable.com/
- Upload your video
- then post the link given after the upload

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 10:42am Just trying to workout what the free against Membrey was for when we had the ball on the 50z
A blocking free - Membrey was running back into position and collided with the Swans player when the ball was further than 5 metres away - not giving him a chance to compete - he did not vary his line - but he did impact the players ability to contest.

- Technically there
- Rarely paid

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 10:52am

- Upload your video
Just giving away my secrets!
At least you didn’t mention how I watch on Kayo with my IPad and use the screen recording function.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 11:05am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 10:52am

- Upload your video
Just giving away my secrets!
At least you didn’t mention how I watch on Kayo with my IPad and use the screen recording function.
I wont be a party to how you get your material [although I suspect you replied to educate the masses] - lol - just how to distribute it :wink: :wink:

― Aristophanes

saynta
Saintsational Legend

That free against Dunstan that resulted in a goal should have been a ball up as the swine player clearly tackled him above the shoulders.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 10:39am

I can’t recall that one. Was at similar to the Josh Kennedy one that wasn’t paid?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 10:11am
I’m not sure the umpire has read the new rules on “stand” but you can’t take two steps to the left to smother the ball. This was the Swans only goal in the second quarter.
I don't think the Umpire had had time to call Stand (however - a clear mark should not have to be called to stand)

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 11:56am That free against Dunstan that resulted in a goal should have been a ball up as the swine player clearly tackled him above the shoulders.
Would that therefore not be a free to Dunstan?

― Aristophanes

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 12:14pm
saynta wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 11:56am That free against Dunstan that resulted in a goal should have been a ball up as the swine player clearly tackled him above the shoulders.
Apparently he had ample to time to dispose of it so you can smash him high.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 9:42am The explanation the umpire gave to Howard in the Adelaide game. This gifted Adelaide a goal and ultimately the game. At the time it was one of the worse frees you’ll see and the explanation was far worse. This one horrendous free has us out of the 8 at present and could define our season.

Another night last night of umpires rewarding Sydney forwards frees while ignoring King getting continually infringed for zero reward. Buddy had two shots on goal both from free kicks. Something has to be done to stop umpires ignoring King being mauled.
Did the AFL say anything about this decision the following week? It appeared like a real howler at the time.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sanctorum
Club Player

Umpiring was not perfect, for sure, but unlike in previous Swans games they only won the free kick count by 1 - 18 to 17, which is surprising as in last weeks game between Swans and Bombers they won 11 frees v 4 in the last quarter alone!

Membrey was a bit stiff because his collision with the Swans defender was quite inadvertent!

When I saw this topic I thought it referred to Dean Kent blocking Max King's clear path to mark the ball which the umpire awarded to Kent to kick for goal, which he blew.... :x

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

According to Lethers we spoke to the umpires during the week and reminded them of how Rampe was hanging off King last time we played.

It obviously paid off because Max got a free half way through the third quarter on the half back flank.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 2:55pm According to Lethers we spoke to the umpires during the week and reminded them of how Rampe was hanging off King last time we played.

It obviously paid off because Max got a free half way through the third quarter on the half back flank.
Yeah his average is .8 per game

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Technically around the neck. It was 50/50. I would have been happy with a ball up.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 12:14pm
Well,the maggot called the holding the ball infringement and ignored the over the shoulder one. In cases where both sides infringe, clearly, according to the rules, the correct decision is a ball up.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 3:48pm
Technically around the neck. It was 50/50. I would have been happy with a ball up.
Which would have been the correct decision.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I nearly fell over when Fisher awarded Kent a free in front of goal. Well, I would have if I hadn't been sitting down at the time.