The Conversation That Needs To Be Had

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

The Conversation That Needs To Be Had

Former St Kilda coach Grant Thomas is due to meet Saints president Andrew Bassat this week in what he says is a bid to bring change to the Saints’ board and end a 55-year premiership drought.

Thomas and businessman Gerry Ryan are backing dental surgeon and influential Saints figure Larry Benge for a seat on the board. They believe Benge would bring fresh ideas to this footy club, which has made the finals only once in the last ten years.

There is speculation that Thomas could be open to joining the board, should the chance arise.

What is really interesting is Thomas’ comments on social media about where he thinks the club, under Seek co-founder Bassat and long-time chief executive Matt Finnis, is heading after another disappointing season where a decision to recruit established talent failed to result in back-to-back finals campaigns.

Thomas was quoted as saying : “We are supporting a talented person in Larry Benge who can help the club to change its current course which – to be frank – is not going to deliver a premiership. I’m sure the club will embrace him but if it doesn’t, I’ll consider my options.

“ That ( winning a premiership) takes leadership, daring and innovation. I’m not certain we understand that or apply those principles. The current formula and/or leadership is not working.”

The outspoken Thomas was also quoted as saying: “‘Ratts’ is a strategic & tactical genius I hear, but I’m not certain attitude and effort are as stringently managed."

Thomas dismissed the notion that injuries were to blame for St Kilda failing to play finals footy this year: “You blame injuries. I blame attitude. Injuries don’t mean you can reduce effort.”

I’m sure there are those here who will say Thomas is in no position to talk with the club achieving no success while he was coach.

And then there are others, like me, who think he’s hit the nail right on the head.

What Thomas is proposing isn’t a revolution but it might make a difference.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Conversation That Needs To Be Had

There is speculation that Thomas could be open to joining the board, should the chance arise.
As if this whole thing isn't about Grant becoming chairman everything else is just hyperbole

longtimesaint
Club Player

Stability is the crucial ingredient in any premiership tilt and we have a stable administration.
I believe we are on the right track as we have players ready to take the next step and have that break out year.
Board upheavals and insecurity is the last thing we need at present.
Often a year like we have had in 2021 is the catalyst to really take that next step.
Melbourne were horrific in 2019 and finished second last and also missed finals in 2020.
If the players are really set for the next season I don’t see why we can’t push for top 4.

One year will be our year
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I t would be good to see GT back at the Saints, then after he retires from that he might try for a seat on the AFL commission. :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

You mean the 13 pages of conversation in the below thread is not enough?

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103424

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

i can't be imagining Lethers + GT operating in the same
fish pond

i'd be letting Lethers run his race
before GT gets a (another) go

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

I'd give the current admnin another year.

Doesn't hurt to have competition.

GT should agree to that.

realdeal
Club Player

damienc wrote: Tue 02 Nov 2021 2:56pm

Thomas dismissed the notion that injuries were to blame for St Kilda failing to play finals footy this year: “You blame injuries. I blame attitude. Injuries don’t mean you can reduce effort"
He's not wrong. Especially when you look at the number of blow out losses we had where the effort wasnt even close to acceptable.

Thomas is a Saints man through and through. If this mean the board, management and coaches are held to account im all for it.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Interesting timing… Bassat and co.. announcing our financial “recovery.”

Still seeing Kennet owed squillions from his gambling concerns, just shows what we are up against..

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Did you forget to finish your thread title with "Again"?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Another thread on this oxygen moron with no new ideas??
I gotta start me another Ross love in cause ones clearly never enough on here
Oh....and what a puff piece of Shyte in that read ...typical Thomas ....

“Club needs attitude, daring, belief...and I’m just the man to give it to them....”

F@rk off Grant and take Larry with you cause you just p!safe on his Board chances...

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

It's the "fresh ideas" I want to hear more about.

Clearly Thomas believes "attitude and effort" is a problem and so I'm guessing Benge's "fresh ideas" are our path to a flag.

Is it just me or do others need more meat on the bone, much more.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

In 2016/2017 we were a team that finished just outside the top 8 and Matt Finnis and the board of St Kilda promised the Saints fan base that we'd have success if we had stability...

A lot of teams went past us from 2017 until 2019.

So here we are in 2021 (a team that finished just outside the top 8) and Matt Finnis and the board are promising Saints fans that there'll be success if we have stability...

So... the obvious things to look at apart from the change in coaches is the quality of our playing list and also most importantly, whether these players we have are good enough or better than other top 8 contenders.

I don't believe Hannebery, Hill and Crouch are going to be St Kilda premiership players. I don't think the people like Lethlean and Finnis and others who backed getting these guys (and what it cost in terms of picks and salary) should be in charge.

Is Brad Crouch or Hannas or Hill going to knock off someone out of the All Australian squad in 2022?

It's not just the fact that some of these recruits have full bellies as Roo has said, but also the opportunity cost. E.g We could have had Treloar if we weren't paying huge salaries to these blokes

One poster (Waltzing St Kikda) said that maybe they should get another year. I reckon Finnis and Lethers should BOTH announce that it will definitely be ...their last year

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

GT is a failed coach/administrator

He had a clear shot and bottled it

Thanks to our current board's hard work I see clear skies ahead with our young squad and now being settled at Morrabbin yet I am truly gobsmacked that there are some standing next to me ardently looking back over their shoulder at the cyclonic, darkened sky behind yearning for days gone by.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

"....ardently looking back over their shoulder at the cyclonic, darkened sky....."

Noice

asiu
Saintsational Legend

or the happy successful get with the times version

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 02 Nov 2021 10:26pm
Thanks to our current board's hard work I see clear skies ahead with our young squad
We narrowly missed out on making the top 8 in 2016. Here we are and it’s nearly 2022. Maybe you should be saying that due to the incomptence of the current board and management we have stood still for the last 6 years.

Everyone knows that this business is about the win loss ratio and making FINALS and putting yourself in with a chance to snag some silverware

What the hell has the current management and board achieved in the last 7-8 years apart from finishing bottom of the ladder often enough and getting a chance ( several times due to our poor finishes during this time) to be able to choose a few top ten selections in the National Draft? That’s an achievement based on hard work is it?

I think we’ve been average as far as our overall draft selections from 2014 onwards and our recruiting of ready made players has been slightly above average if you balance out the failures along with the successes. We won’t go far if we continue to strive to be average

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Are we due a new GT thread, this one's post count is into double digits ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 03 Nov 2021 12:40pm
Thanks to our current board's hard work I see clear skies ahead with our young squad
We narrowly missed out on making the top 8 in 2016. Here we are and it’s nearly 2022. Maybe you should be saying that due to the incomptence of the current board and management we have stood still for the last 6 years.

Everyone knows that this business is about the win loss ratio and making FINALS and putting yourself in with a chance to snag some silverware

What the hell has the current management and board achieved in the last 7-8 years apart from finishing bottom of the ladder often enough and getting a chance ( several times due to our poor finishes during this time) to be able to choose a few top ten selections in the National Draft? That’s an achievement based on hard work is it?

I think we’ve been average as far as our overall draft selections from 2014 onwards and our recruiting of ready made players has been slightly above average if you balance out the failures along with the successes. We won’t go far if we continue to strive to be average
Wow you are all over the shop!!

First you say the board has been there since 2016 and then you say what have they achieved in the last 7-8 years ..... well last time I checked the Maths doesn't compute

Also Bassat took over the Presidency in 2018 - Leathlean came to club in 2018 - Finnis & Kaplan have been there previous to this

That withstanding the current Board adopted an absolute basketcase (with gun players at retirement age and younger players either permanently out of commission or struggling to find a foot hold) and it has taken them a few years to sort out which even a simple minded dolt could easily comprehend

Since Bassat has taken the reins we have improved in many areas and have become very settled in at Moorabbin with new appointments in the Football department and finally it looks like we have a great young list finally ready to bloom

So when you bang on about stuff prior to 2018 that was pretty much a different set up to what we have now in place

Anyway keep pining for the Dude with the "one fight left" clearly making it all about himself

Oh and there is this

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1028827/ ... akes-shape

And you think it's a good time for a shake up?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Wed 03 Nov 2021 5:50pm
Also Bassat took over the Presidency in 2018 - Leathlean came to club in 2018 - Finnis & Kaplan have been there previous to this

That withstanding the current Board adopted an absolute basketcase (with gun players at retirement age and younger players either permanently out of commission or struggling to find a foot hold) and it has taken them a few years to sort out which even a simple minded dolt could easily comprehend

Since Bassat has taken the reins we have improved in many areas and have become very settled in at Moorabbin with new appointments in the Football department and finally it looks like we have a great young list finally ready to bloom

So when you bang on about stuff prior to 2018 that was pretty much a different set up to what we have now in place

Anyway keep pining for the Dude with the "one fight left" clearly making it all about himself

Oh and there is this

Excellent post! Thanks for the link, an encouraging result. I expected to read our debt had doubled seeing there are people out there looking to "fight" the Club and its Board.

Josh Battle
Club Player

First you say the board has been there since 2016 and then you say what have they achieved in the last 7-8 years ..... well last time I checked the Maths doesn't compute

Oh and there is this

You’re right. The status quo and stability could land us a premiership. Let’s give Lethlean a chance to find another Hannebery and to mortgage our future on another Brad Hill. Finnis also should be given a chance to prove himself…he’s only been the CEO at St Kilda for 9 years

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Wed 03 Nov 2021 10:17pm

Oh and there is this

You’re right. The status quo and stability could land us a premiership. Let’s give Lethlean a chance to find another Hannebery and to mortgage our future on another Brad Hill. Finnis also should be given a chance to prove himself…he’s only been the CEO at St Kilda for 9 years
No let’s try your idea
Go back to corporate 80’s cliches with GT bangin on about belief clouds and attempting to fight AFL HQ to show he’s a big boy cause that worked last time he failed...
for what it’s worth - Hill was a need and no one raised issue at the time
Hannerbury a fail but outside unspent cap $ (after we over paid Seb and co) what picks or players have we lost as a result ???
And let’s not mention Howard, Higgins, Crouch, Jones, Ryder, Butler, Wilkie, Highmore, Connolly, Sharman while we are talking failed player recruiting or list management shall we???

“Yeah….nah””
Josh Battle
Club Player

Never thought you’d be an apologist for Lethlean and Finnis. You’ve gone soft Teflon

Don’t just conveniently ignore the 2-3 years before we got the players you mentioned.

You have to brave enough to give it a go and we know that GT got close last time when he was part of the club. Finnis and Lethlean cannot stay in their roles imo. I’d only have 1 of them and maybe Matt is the one.

Maybe Simon has realised that he should leave the recruiting job to the recruiters….and hey…if Simon isn’t going to oversee that area and if he’s going to step back from a few other areas as well, then why the hell should he still be there?

I think that Bassett should still be President, but I’d like to see GT in some capacity at our club. It’ll be nearly as interesting as watching Teflon implode

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Wed 03 Nov 2021 11:29pm Never thought you’d be an apologist for Lethlean and Finnis. You’ve gone soft Teflon

Don’t just conveniently ignore the 2-3 years before we got the players you mentioned.

You have to brave enough to give it a go and we know that GT got close last time when he was part of the club. Finnis and Lethlean cannot stay in their roles imo. I’d only have 1 of them and maybe Matt is the one.

Maybe Simon has realised that he should leave the recruiting job to the recruiters….and hey…if Simon isn’t going to oversee that area and if he’s going to step back from a few other areas as well, then why the hell should he still be there?

I think that Bassett should still be President, but I’d like to see GT in some capacity at our club. It’ll be nearly as interesting as watching Teflon implode
He's close :lol: :lol:

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Wed 03 Nov 2021 11:29pm
You have to brave enough to give it a go and we know that GT got close last time when he was part of the club.
Some would say he had list to do it easily but him sacking assistants and fitness staff every year threw that out the window