5 emerging young guns to watch.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

5 emerging young guns to watch.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 903ca9327d

"ST KILDA
Cooper Sharman

Games: 4

The mid-season draftee’s meteoric rise from the SANFL Reserves to the AFL culminated in a four-goal haul in the final match of the season. The athletic 193cm forward kicked 10 goals in just four games to finish the year and can add another dimension to St Kilda’s attack in 2022.
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera

Games: 0

The best kick in the draft, period. The nephew of Gavin Wanganeen has laser-like kicking on both sides of his body and matched it with senior bodies in the SANFL and SANFL Reserves in his draft year. The classy wingman will be great to watch once he breaks in and can fill a glaring need at the Saints.
Ryan Byrnes

Games: 17

Byrnes showed some encouraging signs for the Saints as a mid-forward last year, averaging 14.8 touches and eclipsing the 20 disposal-mark on three occasions. Out-of-contract at the end of the season, 2022 shapes as an important year for Byrnes.
Mitch Owens

Owens improved rapidly in his draft year after a major growth spurt and more significant development could come again in 2022. The 190cm Saints NGA graduate can be used in a variety of roles and shapes as a potential debutant at some stage in 2022.
Leo Connolly

Games: 7

Connolly racked up 11 disposals in a matter of minutes after being subbed on late in his debut against Richmond late last year. The 181cm defender played seven consecutive games including that promising performance as the super sub, and there’s a spot up for grabs in defence following Nick Coffield’s season-ending blow.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: 5 emerging young guns to watch.

I worry about Byrnes. Not sure why. Possibly had expectations of quicker improvement. Keen as, but not sure how effective he is at winning the ball in a contest and reading the play. Unfair? Having said that he has had some terrific and saving smothers.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 03 Mar 2022 7:58pm I worry about Byrnes. Not sure why. Possibly had expectations of quicker improvement. Keen as, but not sure how effective he is at winning the ball in a contest and reading the play. Unfair? Having said that he has had some terrific and saving smothers.
Byrnes will be fine, just need the coach to settle him on one position and then I expect he will get better as the season goes on.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 03 Mar 2022 7:58pm I worry about Byrnes. Not sure why. Possibly had expectations of quicker improvement. Keen as, but not sure how effective he is at winning the ball in a contest and reading the play. Unfair? Having said that he has had some terrific and saving smothers.
I'm not sure why you worry either. A good player.

Saint supporter since '62
older saint
SS Life Member

Comfortable with what i have seen of Brynes, Connolly and Bytel, want to see something from Allisson.
Early draft pick ( for us anyway) and whether didn't adapt to AFL standard, suffered after missed year with Covid or victim of the rubbish pre season of 2021 which no one wants to admit. Either way he needs to be pushing selection by mid season or concern must rise.

St Plugger
Club Player

older saint wrote: Fri 04 Mar 2022 9:21am Comfortable with what i have seen of Brynes, Connolly and Bytel, want to see something from Allisson.
Early draft pick ( for us anyway) and whether didn't adapt to AFL standard, suffered after missed year with Covid or victim of the rubbish pre season of 2021 which no one wants to admit. Either way he needs to be pushing selection by mid season or concern must rise.
You maybe right about Allison, Not all draftees come on and are a bust. But he's had a difficult run at it and this is really his first proper pre season. On that basis, I think your setting of midseason is a big ask. A full VFL season would be more appropriate in his case, along with all the new draftees.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I worry about Sharman. He's probably the winner of the most over hyped player I can remember in recent history.

Maybe since Brandon White, sorry I meant Buddy White.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 04 Mar 2022 12:52pm I worry about Sharman. He's probably the winner of the most over hyped player I can remember in recent history.

How so?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 04 Mar 2022 1:40pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 04 Mar 2022 12:52pm I worry about Sharman. He's probably the winner of the most over hyped player I can remember in recent history.

How so?
The journos and social media sites are obviously feeding off hype generated by the fan forums.

He has played 4 games which were dead rubbers and he didn't attracted much attention from the opposition in those games.

Just hope for Sharmans sake the hype doesn't interfere with his development.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 04 Mar 2022 1:46pm

How so?
The journos and social media sites are obviously feeding off hype generated by the fan forums.

He has played 4 games which were dead rubbers and he didn't attracted much attention from the opposition in those games.

Agree on Sharman, he was very good in a small sample size of matches.
There is talent there but I also believe he is being hyped very early.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I dont have Sharman in my best 22.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I'm prepared to put Hayes ahead of him at this stage. The guy has been combative much longer and our forward line has been to small and lacks a strong presence.
Marshall and Hayes rotating from CHF just seems so much more appropriate than Marshall and Sharman.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 04 Mar 2022 3:16pm I'm prepared to put Hayes ahead of him at this stage. The guy has been combative much longer and our forward line has been to small and lacks a strong presence.
Marshall and Hayes rotating from CHF just seems so much more appropriate than Marshall and Sharman.
I recon Ratts will feel he needs to get the season off to a flyer (which coach doesn't right), but I think Ratts in particular will be a coach feeling the pressure of not repeating last year's tragically poor start, AND on that basis I think he'd feel like he has to pick his most experienced side, no debutants without AFL experience within the first 4 to 6 weeks for mine.

I think this is generally considered phase one of season planning for most coaches and so I'd be be very reluctant to throw newbies during this phase on the context of where we are as a club.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

From what I saw last night NWM is going to be very very good.
What does Sharman need to do? He was excellent last year and got involved last night in a quarter. Too many shithouse experts on this site

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 4:12pm From what I saw last night NWM is going to be very very good.
What does Sharman need to do? He was excellent last year and got involved last night in a quarter. Too many shithouse experts on this site
By the looks of it he has to ruck and play as a 4th mid unless Ryder plays. What did you think of him in the ruck in the practice match?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

How so?

Dead rubbers?
We were half a game out with 4 rounds to play. We cost Sydney a double chance. Geelong would have missed the double chance if we had beaten them.

He kicked 4 against the Dockers with no Max King. If they weren’t paying attention to the guy who had kicked six in two and a half games, that’s really bad football.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 4:12pm From what I saw last night NWM is going to be very very good.
You can say that again. :wink:

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I was surprised that Sharman only got a quarter at it v Dopers - maybe they don't want to expose him too much to opposition tacticians until the season starts

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 6:44pm

How so?

Dead rubbers?
We were half a game out with 4 rounds to play. We cost Sydney a double chance. Geelong would have missed the double chance if we had beaten them.

He kicked 4 against the Dockers with no Max King. If they weren’t paying attention to the guy who had kicked six in two and a half games, that’s really bad football.
It's all a matter of personal perspective I suppose Kosi. I considered every game after the round 10 surrender fest against the Dogs to be a dead rubber. Technically we climbed to within reach of the finals 4 games from seasons end but I considered that more to be an outcome from poor results of other teams around us on tbe ladder at that stage. I think most pundits other than rusted on Saints supporters gave us a snowflakes chance of playing finals let alone respect us enough to put their best work into stoppimg Sharman

I think a better measure of potential will be if Sharman is playing in the side in the first 6 rounds and we are around 4 wins after 6 games.

Until the recent spate of injuries I wouldn't have had him in my best 22 for the those first 6 games but lucks a fortune if we keep losing our first choice players at the current rate.

groupie1
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 03 Mar 2022 7:28pm https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 903ca9327d

"ST KILDA
Cooper Sharman

The mid-season draftee’s meteoric rise from the SANFL Reserves to the AFL culminated in a four-goal haul in the final match of the season. The athletic 193cm forward kicked 10 goals in just four games to finish the year and can add another dimension to St Kilda’s attack in 2022.
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera

The best kick in the draft, period. The nephew of Gavin Wanganeen has laser-like kicking on both sides of his body and matched it with senior bodies in the SANFL and SANFL Reserves in his draft year. The classy wingman will be great to watch once he breaks in and can fill a glaring need at the Saints.
Ryan Byrnes

Byrnes showed some encouraging signs for the Saints as a mid-forward last year, averaging 14.8 touches and eclipsing the 20 disposal-mark on three occasions. Out-of-contract at the end of the season, 2022 shapes as an important year for Byrnes.
Mitch Owens

Owens improved rapidly in his draft year after a major growth spurt and more significant development could come again in 2022. The 190cm Saints NGA graduate can be used in a variety of roles and shapes as a potential debutant at some stage in 2022.
Leo Connolly

Connolly racked up 11 disposals in a matter of minutes after being subbed on late in his debut against Richmond late last year. The 181cm defender played seven consecutive games including that promising performance as the super sub, and there’s a spot up for grabs in defence following Nick Coffield’s season-ending blow.
Absolutely: Connolly and Byrnes should be startup 22 picks; hopefully Bytel too. Love to NWM and Owens break in in 2nd half of the year.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
groupie1
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 03 Mar 2022 7:28pm https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 903ca9327d

"ST KILDA
Cooper Sharman

Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera

Ryan Byrnes

Mitch Owens

Leo Connolly

Absolutely: Connolly and Byrnes should be startup 22 picks; hopefully Bytel too. Love to NWM and Owens break in in 2nd half of the year.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Lennylegs
Club Player

How so?

Dead rubbers?

He also caused heaps of headaches for Geelong late in the season down there when our season was on the line. Definitely wasn't a dead rubber. And Geelong's defense is no joke.

Key forwards who can take a grab are worth their weight in gold. We need to persist with him.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 07 Mar 2022 6:55am

How so?

Dead rubbers?

It's all a matter of personal perspective I suppose Kosi. I considered every game after the round 10 surrender fest against the Dogs to be a dead rubber. Technically we climbed to within reach of the finals 4 games from seasons end but I considered that more to be an outcome from poor results of other teams around us on tbe ladder at that stage. I think most pundits other than rusted on Saints supporters gave us a snowflakes chance of playing finals let alone respect us enough to put their best work into stoppimg Sharman

I think a better measure of potential will be if Sharman is playing in the side in the first 6 rounds and we are around 4 wins after 6 games.

Until the recent spate of injuries I wouldn't have had him in my best 22 for the those first 6 games but lucks a fortune if we keep losing our first choice players at the current rate.
If you think we were just going through the motions it makes his performance all the more meritorious.
One team's dead rubber is another team's percentage booster.
Geelong and Sydney were both fighting for top four.
Freo were half a game out going into the last game against us.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 07 Mar 2022 11:00am
Vortex wrote: Mon 07 Mar 2022 6:55am

How so?

Dead rubbers?

If you think we were just going through the motions it makes his performance all the more meritorious.
One team's dead rubber is another team's percentage booster.
Geelong and Sydney were both fighting for top four.
Freo were half a game out going into the last game against us.
I'm thinking more the opposition didn't respect us enough to think they needed to put a lot of work into a 1-3 gamer in the final few games of the season rather than us going through the motions.

And Freo had significant issues in their backline and so a good time for a 4th gamer to get a run.

Let's just see how the young fella goes in the first 4 to 6 games. Personally I didn't see him getting a game in the first phase of the season but he might just get an opportunity now Billings has gone down however its not a like for like and I'm thinking it now opens the door for Long to play Billings HF role.