Long's form

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Long's form

Will Ben Long get a senior gig? Seems down the pecking order a bit now

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Long's form

The injury to Clark puts him closer, but still behind a few.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

At rd1 he’s pbly been pushed out due to not having a clear position and his last stint in the seniors being down on out put

That being said, I entirely expect to see him to get a few opportunities throughout the season and love or die by the results.

If Long is the standard of depth player we have on the list... then to be honest, am happy with that and feel like we’ve moved up in the world

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Billings injury opens things up. Could he play HF if his form warrants selection. Didn't he go OK when played forward?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 07 Mar 2022 6:08pm Billings injury opens things up. Could he play HF if his form warrants selection. Didn't he go OK when played forward?
My impression is that he struggles to get near it up forward and doesn’t hit the scoreboard enough.

The difference with Long however as opposed to guys like Kent and Lonie, was that when he the one percenters like chasing and pushing up the ground, you would actually notice him getting to contest after contest and attempting to make things happen.

If Long could just find a way to get his hands on the ball in a position other than the HBF, I reckon the maligning of him would stop.
I really rate him... ton of potential

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 07 Mar 2022 6:31pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 07 Mar 2022 6:08pm Billings injury opens things up. Could he play HF if his form warrants selection. Didn't he go OK when played forward?
My impression is that he struggles to get near it up forward and doesn’t hit the scoreboard enough.

The difference with Long however as opposed to guys like Kent and Lonie, was that when he the one percenters like chasing and pushing up the ground, you would actually notice him getting to contest after contest and attempting to make things happen.

If Long could just find a way to get his hands on the ball in a position other than the HBF, I reckon the maligning of him would stop.
I really rate him... ton of potential
So is it a two horse race for Billings spot, Long or Kent ? or do you think others are in the mix, do you think Webster could come up the ground if Highmore comes in down back?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He played less than half a game against Carlton and ....

Wasn't picked for the AAMI game against Essendon.

Does that mean he's not in the best 22?? I don't think so!

I think he's brilliant as a distributor and the equal of our best kicks in the team

He proved he can play when we made finals in Ratts first year and he was a valuable cog in the team in 2020 (if anyone doubts that they need to check his stats and especially his disposal efficiency and his effectiveness by foot. Compare his disposal and stats versus his peers)

The appropriate thread title...imo... should be; "Do Ben Long's team mates rate him?

Do they want him to succeed and do the the coaches rate him? I think he definitely needs to work on his touch and be cleaner but it seems he lacks confidence sometimes.

Does he fit in to the culture and is he liked within the team? I understand they are professionals and that shouldn't be a priority, but human nature always comes into it in my opinion.

"Do Ben Long's team mates think he is a good kick or good distributor?"

When you have personalities that don't fit in or... maybe (:idea:) they don't consider him a mate, it makes it difficult to want to kick the footy or pass the footy to him. He needs to be used more as a distributor. I rate Sincs, Hill, Paton and Ben Long as our best kicks (to advantage)

He performed very well in the intra club ... They had to pick him right?? They couldn't leave him out or just play him for 25 minutes. I mean you have to have all senior players out there to field 2 sides and we had some Zebs players in Saints colours too. So the point I'm making is that against his peers he outperforms. He just needs to play

FULL STOP (.)

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He's a fumbler. Our VFL coach even said as much in his recent review of the Sandy v Port Melbourne match. This aspect of Long's game has gotten progressively worse since he made his debut. I can't see it improving.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 08 Mar 2022 5:27am He's a fumbler. Our VFL coach even said as much in his recent review of the Sandy v Port Melbourne match. This aspect of Long's game has gotten progressively worse since he made his debut. I can't see it improving.
Jake Batchelor said Long was "pretty good" and he was very honest with his feedback which is such a breath of fresh air compared to the general fluff we used to get from Sammy and Cho. He did say that there were 6 or 7 who were equally fumbly on the day. There are probably 100 players at AFL level who are fumbly this time of year...it's the pre season

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1074304/ ... -melbourne

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Staying away from the party life wouldn't hurt. He's certainly loving the life of being an AFL footballer.

But he might not be for much longer if he doesn't put his head down and work his backside off.

Just doesn't seem to want it. Talented in moments but so patchy and I'm just not sure he's dedicated enough.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Tue 08 Mar 2022 1:23pm Staying away from the party life wouldn't hurt. He's certainly loving the life of being an AFL footballer.

But he might not be for much longer if he doesn't put his head down and work his backside off.

Just doesn't seem to want it. Talented in moments but so patchy and I'm just not sure he's dedicated enough.
Any hard cold Facts to back up your comments. I really hope that you don't have any as I want Long to succeed.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I’m afraid we shave a long list of players that have declined or plateaued since Richo departed…

Billings, Ross, Hunter Clark, Geary and based on his early promise Long. We lost Savage whom I suspect, would have been better to keep than Long.

Like Butler, who is now.a defensive forward, and lays tackles nowadays, (means he is the chaser, rather than the getter)…but it could quickly change back to being ‘scoop-and-snap’

But Long is behind that, he impacts, and often late and off balance..wrecking ball style..As a defender, gives away crucial kicks, as a forward, like Kent, isnt up to the level. I could see him in a kamikaze role, where as I hoped he’d be more ninja.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 08 Mar 2022 4:06pm I could see him in a kamikaze role, where as I hoped he’d be more ninja.
Would that be an eager ninja ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Unfortunately never kicked on after having a supposedly strong preseason a few years back.
Well down the pecking order and only plays when there are injuries
He plays on the edge and looks like AFL is really cracking down on that now.
As mentioned by others, he just is a bit fumbly, doesn’t get enough of the ball and doesnt use it well enough to justify his low possession count.
I’d be surprised if he gets another contract at St Kilda.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Toward the end of 2019 and start of 2020 Long looked like he was ready to take the next step.

He was best 22.

Before he hurt his ankle against North in 2020 he was winning contests and taking hanger(s).

Now he’s well outside best 22 with Paton, Webster & Sinclair preferred in the small defender role and Butler, Higgins & Gresh as small forwards.

He now doesn’t have a position and looks completely lost.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

As mentioned his fumbling brings him unstuck. It's ironical as he is always pretty keen to put the shoulder into opponents when they fumble, but he fumbles everything. I wonder if it's a psychological thing or just a skill flaw?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

As mentioned his fumbling brings him unstuck. It's ironical as he is always pretty keen to put the shoulder into opponents when they fumble, but he fumbles everything.

I wonder if it's a psychological thing or just a skills flaw?Its interesting as its generally a strength of most of the indigenous players from Darwin.