Dunstan on Show Me The Money

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shadrock
Club Player

Dunstan on Show Me The Money

Sone really interesting stuff on the Dunstan deal to go to Melbourne on the new tv series Show Me The Money. Shows a lot of behind the scenes footage of the negotiations. He almost ended up in the Gold Coast but Melbournes recruiting was too good.

Also some content on Wanganeen-Milera too which was cool. Worth a look. Its on Stan and premiered today.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Re: Dunstan on Show Me The Money

Watched Dunstan run full tilt at Pickett, spin....I'm like, "you fācking sob!" He spins and runs past the outreached hands, then stabs a sexy pinpointer into Tomlinson's bread basket....I'll be pissed if he has the best season of his life ....he gosh darn SPUN IN TRAINING!!!!

I blew my lemon lime bitters out my snout whilst pointing wildly for my host to gaze...all Melbourne officials present were aglow knowing I felt like I'd just eaten a plate of sh1te....

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 8:15pm Watched Dunstan run full tilt at Pickett, spin....I'm like, "you fācking sob!" He spins and runs past the outreached hands, then stabs a sexy pinpointer into Tomlinson's bread basket....I'll be pissed if he has the best season of his life ....he gosh darn SPUN IN TRAINING!!!!

I blew my lemon lime bitters out my snout whilst pointing wildly for my host to gaze...all Melbourne officials present were aglow knowing I felt like I'd just eaten a plate of sh1te....
Look on the bright side

We still have Hanners

lewdogs
Club Player

If Melbourne ordered a turd sandwich right now then people would say it's the next thing in food.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Sat 12 Mar 2022 11:02pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 8:15pm Watched Dunstan run full tilt at Pickett, spin....I'm like, "you fācking sob!" He spins and runs past the outreached hands, then stabs a sexy pinpointer into Tomlinson's bread basket....I'll be pissed if he has the best season of his life ....he gosh darn SPUN IN TRAINING!!!!

Look on the bright side

We still have Hanners
Yeah mate & he might play 5 to 10 games this year but lucky for us he has taken a pay cut so he can give us an extra year next season :roll:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Sat 12 Mar 2022 11:10pm If Melbourne ordered a turd sandwich right now then people would say it's the next thing in food.
+1

Those finals including the GF showed the competition what they are capable of

Despite Cho and Goodwin they blitzed the opposition with their powerhouse list

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

It was good to see or hear a couple of other former Saints in the first episode.

Nathan Freeman is working with one of the agents and showed off his knowledge of Melbourne's list.

Jason Cripps doing the deal on the phone to get Jeremy Finlayson to Port.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Plodder.

The trade helped us pick up the 2 AP.

Remember.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 13 Mar 2022 12:28pm Plodder.

Remember.
We got no compensation for Dunstan.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 13 Mar 2022 1:03pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 13 Mar 2022 12:28pm Plodder.

Remember.
We got no compensation for Dunstan.
Ok. My bad.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

What happened to the last ‘plodder’ we let walk for nothing?

:roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

We got rid of someone who is hopelessly one sided and can't kick on his good foot. If he plays 10 games with Melbourne this year they will have had a lot of injures and will be lucky to make the 8. But they have plenty of others before they get to him. We desperately lack height and strength at the centre bounce which is covered over by the brilliance of Paddy Ryder when he plays and exposes us dreadfully when he doesn't.

StPeter
Club Player

I think Dunstan would have been in St Kilda's best team this week with the players unavailable.

He isn't in Melbourne's selected side.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Definitely would be a starting mid, without Jones and Clark available

B.M
Saintsational Legend

However,

Openly saying you’d rather work as a chippy on a construction site than play for StK means the point is moot

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 15 Mar 2022 11:23pm However,

Openly saying you’d rather work as a chippy on a construction site than play for StK means the point is moot
Makes sense when your employer basically black-balls you for 2 years

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 9:31am

What the doco doesn't tell us is how long have other clubs been interested at the price he had with us.
Essendon weren't interested, Gold Coast could have had him for the last 2 years and Melbourne made their point clear, two years, low income, midfield depth. Excellent value for the best team in the comp.
Does that mean he wouldn’t be in our best 22 still, he clearly is when at his best, but those runs of form are few and far between and he can go from hero to zero in one bad decision.
If his form is true, he will cause some conflict amongst the players, be negatively outspoken often and be over physical at training but I reckon Petracca, Oliver and Viney will thrive on that and he is well placed at the Demons.
We won't miss him, he would be handy right now, but he is no replacement for Hannebery Billings or Clark.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 11:11am

What the doco doesn't tell us is how long have other clubs been interested at the price he had with us.
Essendon weren't interested, Gold Coast could have had him for the last 2 years and Melbourne made their point clear, two years, low income, midfield depth. Excellent value for the best team in the comp.
Does that mean he wouldn’t be in our best 22 still, he clearly is when at his best, but those runs of form are few and far between and he can go from hero to zero in one bad decision.
If his form is true, he will cause some conflict amongst the players, be negatively outspoken often and be over physical at training but I reckon Petracca, Oliver and Viney will thrive on that and he is well placed at the Demons.
We won't miss him, he would be handy right now, but he is no replacement for Hannebery Billings or Clark.
I think a player who in the last 2 seasons scored Brownlow votes in half the games he played (who else in the league has done that?) while under trying circumstances (his club actively working against him) is an asset you don't just throw away for nothing.

A good club would have either worked out how to utilise that asset or get something in return, it's worrying we did neither.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

From a negotiation point of view that is the last thing he should have openly admitted to anyone in the industry while we was in the open market.

He should have gone to the GC. He would at least be getting a game. Melbourne will only play him if they are desperate.

Or round 8 might be his debut for the Dees unless the wheels fall off much sooner.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 1:03pm

I think a player who in the last 2 seasons scored Brownlow votes in half the games he played (who else in the league has done that?) while under trying circumstances (his club actively working against him) is an asset you don't just throw away for nothing.

A good club would have either worked out how to utilise that asset or get something in return, it's worrying we did neither.
Its a buyers market for guys like Dunstan.
If you believe he hasn't been bought up constantly in trades since 2019, you've missed the fact he was ready to pick up the tools and play a lower grade. Not the actions of a man expecting to make the most of a sticky situation.
We re-contracted him for 2 years in 2019 and its clear now, he believes he deserved better treatment than what he has been given.
But, the order of our mids was then, and is still, Steele, Gresham, Crouch, Ross and then Dunstan and Bytel a ways behind, leaving Billings and Hanners to the side. Burnes is about to come on and Windhager and Owens look likely to be bulls.
His game is based on stoppages, yet he struggles to run out games and has often made a massive impact in a half and then fades away. This pattern extends over 100 games.
He had a point to prove and he has proven it, he is a back up mid in the leagues best midfield.
We got to use his salary on 3 or 4 young blokes with skills and attributes he lacks, kids that will impact in the next 2 years.
No other club was willing to work with him in their best 22. Why should we be any different?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 1:48pm

If you believe he hasn't been bought up constantly in trades since 2019, you've missed the fact he was ready to pick up the tools and play a lower grade. Not the actions of a man expecting to make the most of a sticky situation.
We re-contracted him for 2 years in 2019 and its clear now, he believes he deserved better treatment than what he has been given.
But, the order of our mids was then, and is still, Steele, Gresham, Crouch, Ross and then Dunstan and Bytel a ways behind, leaving Billings and Hanners to the side. Burnes is about to come on and Windhager and Owens look likely to be bulls.
His game is based on stoppages, yet he struggles to run out games and has often made a massive impact in a half and then fades away. This pattern extends over 100 games.
He had a point to prove and he has proven it, he is a back up mid in the leagues best midfield.
We got to use his salary on 3 or 4 young blokes with skills and attributes he lacks, kids that will impact in the next 2 years.
No other club was willing to work with him in their best 22. Why should we be any different?
I don’t think I’ve seen a player incorrectly maligned in a while as mush as Dunstan. Making mountains out of molehills. Narratives are chosen then stuck with regardless of evidence.

Last season he averaged 13.5 disposals in the first half and 11.6 in the second. Hardly “struggling to run out games” IMO.

Talking about averages, he also averaged…
3rd most disposals
3rd most tackles
3rd most contested possessions
2nd most clearances
1st most inside 50s
4th most SC points
And finished 2nd in Brownlow votes.

Not saying he is perfect, but he is easily a better player right now than the likes of Ross and Geary. He is one of our captains best mates so I don’t doubt his character.

As said earlier, considering all the above, the fact we couldn’t work with or get something for Dunstan is a negative mark against our club.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I think his greatest weakness is his attitude. His contempt for the club was plain for all to see last year and the doco showed he clearly is still an angry person.

His very, very brief period last year of improved performances was clearly motivated by anger and so unless he can stay angry for the rest of his career, it's highly likely he won't be able to deliver to a level again to allow him to get selected ahead of premiership midfielders - some generational types.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 4:04pm

I think his greatest weakness is his attitude. His contempt for the club was plain for all to see last year and the doco showed he clearly is still an angry person.

His very, very brief period last year of improved performances was clearly motivated by anger and so unless he can stay angry for the rest of his career, it's highly likely he won't be able to deliver to a level again to allow him to get selected ahead of premiership midfielders - some generational types.
Weren’t there reports that he didn’t follow coaches instructions and played his own game?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 3:22pm

I don’t think I’ve seen a player incorrectly maligned in a while as mush as Dunstan. Making mountains out of molehills. Narratives are chosen then stuck with regardless of evidence.

Last season he averaged 13.5 disposals in the first half and 11.6 in the second. Hardly “struggling to run out games” IMO.

Talking about averages, he also averaged…
3rd most disposals
3rd most tackles
3rd most contested possessions
2nd most clearances
1st most inside 50s
4th most SC points
And finished 2nd in Brownlow votes.

Not saying he is perfect, but he is easily a better player right now than the likes of Ross and Geary. He is one of our captains best mates so I don’t doubt his character.

As said earlier, considering all the above, the fact we couldn’t work with or get something for Dunstan is a negative mark against our club.
A better player than Ross? What utter rubbish. The club obviously doesn't agree with you.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 4:15pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 4:04pm

Weren’t there reports that he didn’t follow coaches instructions and played his own game?
Yes. Spot on.