Two very important articles about St Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Two very important articles about St Kilda

There are 2 articles published by The Australian today that clarify much of the discussion about the loss to Sydney, as well as Brett Ratten's future.

It puts beyond doubt that the players are solidly behind their coach, and that the club has no plans to replace Brett Ratten at the end of the year.

Much as we like to lay the blame on Brett Ratten for the 3 losses since the bye, my analysis of the mostly average/ordinary list suggests to me that St Kilda has performed in the first 11 rounds way above reasonable expectations which reflects well on the coach - yes, I have been mystified by some of the selections and critical of the club's terrible player development, but that is not the sole responsibility of the senior coach, and in fact the club has a fair bit of work to improve its list to be considered in the same league as the top teams.

Saints boss Simon Lethlean expects club to re-sign coach Brett Ratten by Sam Landsberger

"St Kilda’s faith in Brett Ratten has not wavered and the club still expects to re-sign its senior coach despite dropping out of the top eight after three consecutive defeats.

But the Saints did assess the AFL coaching landscape – which includes free agent Alastair Clarkson– before deciding they already had the right man in charge.

“We’ve been consistent in saying for where we’re at now with our program and our list, we think ‘Ratts’ is our man,” incoming chief executive Simon Lethlean said on Monday.

“I doubt anyone would have challenged us on that fortnight ago. Clearly, that’s a debate that can now happen on the back of our form.

“But we aren’t as reactive internally perhaps as the external football world is.

“We’ll keep progressing down the path as we’ve said we will with Brett and his management.

“We’re still going down that path and we’re doing that with the right amount of diligence that we should.”

Club champion Nick Riewoldt recently urged the Saints to have a crack at Clarkson.

Lethlean responded: “I hope Nick will understand that when you go through a process of looking to re-sign or consider your current coach, a part of that process is to do your due diligence across the market that’s available for coaching.

“We’ve certainly done that. But we’ve put our focus now into making Brett better and making our program better and focusing on how we go forward with him.”

Interestingly, Lethlean was clear on what the Saints’ list required.

“We have a list that needs to improve and needs to find game-impacting players to be able to compete at the really pointy end to beat the best teams and to also change momentum in games,” he said on SEN.

“We can’t go to the well every time with (Jack) Steele. We can’t expect Max King at his young age to wrestle every game back for you when the ball movement is not what it should be.

“That’s all part of list management across the next few months.”

That appeared to be a perfect description for Collingwood free agent Jordan De Goey.

Only two players in the AFL have averaged at least 20 disposals, 400m gained and a goal a game this year – De Goey and Marcus Bontempelli.

De Goey, 26, is also ranked No.2 for clearances for all midfielder-forwards, according to Champion Data, behind only Tom Liberatore.

Asked specifically about De Goey, Lethlean reiterated that he would be assessed along with all possible targets.

“It was incorrectly reported last week we’d offered a five-year contract, which is completely wrong,” Lethlean said.

“This time of year the process for all clubs is to assess all free agents and out-of-contract players and we’re certainly doing that.

“We’re no more progressed in that assessment with him than we are with anyone else.

“I do know he’s a very good player – he does impact games.”

The Saints’ return of 4.8 (33) in Saturday night’s 51-point loss at the SCG was their lowest score in more than six years.

They took just five marks inside 50m, generating one behind, as King was let down by poor ball movement.

Lethlean praised the improved effort against Sydney after last week’s shock loss to Essendon.

But he admitted the club’s game plan was starting to get figured out.

“I think some clubs are playing us a lot better as well and probably unpicked our system a bit better than perhaps the way we bounced out of the blocks in the first six or seven weeks,” Lethlean said.

“We were quite stagnant when we won the ball (against Sydney), we didn’t have much flow.

“So we need to get our midfield a bit more energized and take the game on a bit more.
“Our pressure is critical. I think we’re well-acknowledged as a team that plays its best footy when that pressure is high.

“Clubs keeping the ball off us has made it a bit more difficult.”

St Kilda’s fitness levels have been strong under impressive new performance and conditioning boss Nick Walsh.

Their first seven wins this year all came after falling at least 11 points behind.
Lethlean said that indicated the Saints were never truly a top-four team.

“The first 10 rounds we won five games coming from behind at half time, which does suggest that we weren’t a dominant top-four team across those 10 weeks,” Lethlean said.

“We were getting results through effort and hard work and maximizing our moments in games.

“We weren’t controlling games the whole way through.

“It probably shows you we are in that six to 10 bracket that we are right now.

“We certainly set our sights on playing finals this year, right from the outset. And we’re still giving ourselves a good chance to do that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
‘We love Ratts’: Why Saints coach is not to blame for slump - by Chris Cavanagh

"St Kilda captain Jack Steele says out-of-contract coach Brett Ratten is not to blame for a mid-season form slump that has left the club in danger of missing finals.

Former St Kilda champion Brendon Goddard labelled the club’s 51-point loss to Sydney on Saturday night “horrific”, with the Saints going 63 minutes between goals and managing just four majors for the match.

The third-straight defeat followed losses to Essendon (35 points) and Brisbane (21 points) and leaves St Kilda outside the top-eight with eight games to play.

The Saints — who started the season with an 8-3 record — face a tough run home which includes five more clashes against current top-eight sides in Carlton, Fremantle, Geelong, Brisbane and Sydney.

Steele said that the side would work hard on the track this week to rectify its issues and the playing group needed to take responsibility for the current woes.

“I’d love to have him (Ratten) on as a coach. We love Ratts and what he’s doing,” Steele said onSunday.

“Ratts is definitely up for the job and we’ve got to support him as best we can as players and start performing because we love him and what he’s doing for us but we’re not really doing him justice at the moment.”

Discussions on a new deal for the coach commenced earlier this year, with Ratten saying in May that he was “very relaxed” about his contract situation.

Ball use going forward was the problem for St Kilda against Sydney, with the visitors managing only five marks inside-50 from 44 entries at the SCG on Saturday night.

Asked about key forward Max King’s quiet performance — which saw him kick just one behind from eight disposals — Ratten said Tony Lockett or Jason Dunstall would have struggled in the same position.

“Good luck to Max,” Ratten said.

“He had no chance. I felt for him tonight. He had to wear the brunt of our ball movement and the way that we moved the ball. It would have been pretty frustrating and he’s only a fourth-year player. We kicked the ball so badly to him.”

The Saints will regain ruckman Paddy Ryder (managed) and speedster Brad Hill (personal leave) for Friday night’s crunch clash with the Blues.

“The bit that there could be a bit of upside as we get back Ryder and Hill next week, and that’ll bring a lot of energy and experience back into the group,” Ratten said."

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Two very important articles about St Kilda

Being a popular coach and being a great coach are two different things unfortunately.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The Saints’ return of 4.8 (33) in Saturday night’s 51-point loss at the SCG was their lowest score in more than six years.

They took just five marks inside 50m, generating one behind, as King was let down by poor ball movement.

Lethlean praised the improved effort against Sydney after last week’s shock loss to Essendon.

Good grief. There you have this club in a nutshell. Praising "an improved affort" after a horror loss.

Churning away in mediocrity, patting each other on the back, cuddling each other before the game, meditating on the field, congratulating themselves for resisting outside pressures.

Will be cancelling my automatic renewal.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

If the current board re-sign Ratts then the board should be forced to resign. They are a bunch of amateurs and they make me sick to my stomach.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
happy feet
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 6:08pm If the current board re-sign Ratts then the board should be forced to resign. They are a bunch of amateurs and they make me sick to my stomach.
Your incessant blaming of the coach is tiresome. You cannot lay the blame entirely on the coach.if Premiership’s were won by changing coaches our silverware cupboard would be full. We need to stick with Ratten.

Anyhow, why are you still posting on here, you said you were fed up. Collingwood are waiting.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Lethlean: “But we aren’t as reactive internally perhaps as the external football world is"

Ya not kidding!!!

Re-signing Richo...

Same process...

Inertia, Inertia, Inertia....>>>>>

Ol' Man river, just keeps rollin'...just keeps rollin' on!

Not to question Ratten, but St Kilda cannot break inertia, not since the days of Butters.

Too many interlocking processes ...mutual interests, it will get done.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for posting Sanctorum.

My take always, firstly the players know they are the missing link, love it when Steely talks dirty.

And secondly Lethlean knows "players" are the missing link -- "Lethlean", still one of the more important links.

We all know it, sucessful recruitment over the next 2 or 3 years is what will bring in the silverware.

We need to recruit a split of ready to go types and also needs-based types from the draft.

Forget the distraction: Recruitment Matters Most, that's the kernel we must focus our accountability onto, but sticking the coarse with this current coach is also paramount, they go together in all successful systems from the past.

How obvious is all that!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

All the media talk today, including contributions from Saint's officials tells us the Ratten is the man for the job and will get a new contract, soon.

Now the public attention has turned to the list and the overall opinion is it's not good enough, which we already knew.
I just hope the club's list management has well and truly arrived at that conclusion and is now working on possible solutions.

That doesn't mean the game plan is fine, it's not. Plenty for the brains trust to work on.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Would you consider some our players as elite and based on their year in 2022 are any worthy of All Australian honours?

Do we have a capable list and enough top end talent to finish top 4? How many A graders?

Check out our 10 best for this year according to this esteemed panel of judges. Many of them struggling with consistency.

We also had Steele missing for a large patch and RoMa also playing under duress

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103850

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 7:56pm All the media talk today, including contributions from Saint's officials tells us the Ratten is the man for the job and will get a new contract, soon.

Now the public attention has turned to the list and the overall opinion is it's not good enough, which we already knew.
I just hope the club's list management has well and truly arrived at that conclusion and is now working on possible solutions.

That doesn't mean the game plan is fine, it's not. Plenty for the brains trust to work on.
My view is the game plan is fine, I've seen enough to know what the players are trying to achieve in games, the proof is visible in the replay of our 2 best quarters this year. Why we haven't been able to execute is more down to lack of quality on the list, about 6 to 8 is my guess as we seem to drop away at about 10 to 12 and that is based on the assumption some of the recent recruits can push up. So if that happens it makes it about 2 to 3 years to bring in the extra 6 to 8 pieces of the puzzle.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 8:15pm
Wayne42 wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 7:56pm All the media talk today, including contributions from Saint's officials tells us the Ratten is the man for the job and will get a new contract, soon.

My view is the game plan is fine, I've seen enough to know what the players are trying to achieve in games, the proof is visible in the replay of our 2 best quarters this year. Why we haven't been able to execute is more down to lack of quality on the list, about 6 to 8 is my guess as we seem to drop away at about 10 to 12 and that is based on the assumption some of the recent recruits can push up. So if that happens it makes it about 2 to 3 years to bring in the extra 6 to 8 pieces of the puzzle.
Ratts might be sacked by then if he gets a 2 year extension and we do a smallish rebuild. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 8:19pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 8:15pm

Ratts might be sacked by then if he gets a 2 year extension and we do a smallish rebuild. :lol:
If I was a gambling man I'd bet heavy on him getting the sack in 2024. He ain't getting the sack in 2023, not a chance unless we turn into North, and that obviously ain't going to happen, but if we end up middle of road in 2023, he will need to win the flag, or almost win it in 2024 to avoid getting sacked.

And if he survives 2024, it's a good thing I lost a lot of money.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

happy feet wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 6:47pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 6:08pm If the current board re-sign Ratts then the board should be forced to resign. They are a bunch of amateurs and they make me sick to my stomach.
Your incessant blaming of the coach is tiresome. You cannot lay the blame entirely on the coach.if Premiership’s were won by changing coaches our silverware cupboard would be full. We need to stick with Ratten.

Anyhow, why are you still posting on here, you said you were fed up. Collingwood are waiting.
Who the hell are you?
It's none of your business why I am still posting. If you don't like what I post place me on your FOE list....

NeXus
happy feet
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 8:37pm

Who the hell are you?
It's none of your business why I am still posting. If you don't like what I post place me on your FOE list....
Well who the hell are you? I have been around here a lot longer than you and I don’t carpet bomb this site with inane thought bubble posts that have zero thought behind them. You said you were fed up, not me. So if you are so fed up, then go somewhere else.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Dude can post what he likes

It’s a fan forum - with no one being more entitled than another

He’s not far from incorrect either imo

We are mis-managed
Last edited by B.M on Mon 27 Jun 2022 9:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

happy feet wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 9:10pm

Who the hell are you?
Well who the hell are you? I have been around here a lot longer than you and I don’t carpet bomb this site with inane thought bubble posts that have zero thought behind them. You said you were fed up, not me. So if you are so fed up, then go somewhere else.
As I said, if you don't like what I post place me on your FOE list. I'm not interested in your sooking.

NeXus
asiu
Saintsational Legend

haha

nor us ... in yours

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
happy feet
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 9:26pm

Who the hell are you?
As I said, if you don't like what I post place me on your FOE list. I'm not interested in your sooking.
Not working, just calling you out for posting shyte.

happy feet
Club Player

happy feet wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 10:25pm

Who the hell are you?
Not working, just calling you out for posting shyte. I’ll keep doing it too.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Who the hell are you?
All your doing is sooking because I want Ratts to be sacked and the whole board as well. Guess what HF, a lot of other posters want the same but you're picking on me because you think I'm an easy target.

NeXus
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 5:47pm The Saints’ return of 4.8 (33) in Saturday night’s 51-point loss at the SCG was their lowest score in more than six years.

Good grief. There you have this club in a nutshell. Praising "an improved affort" after a horror loss.

Churning away in mediocrity, patting each other on the back, cuddling each other before the game, meditating on the field, congratulating themselves for resisting outside pressures.

Will be cancelling my automatic renewal.
Good post
Lethlean now trying to sell us “we were never any good to start with” all fits with a narrative of - let’s re-sign Ratts he was extraordinary earlier this year!!
It ignores the reality that Ratten has had 3 years to fix ball movement- done squat
His 2020 bomb to forwards where smalls crumb goals out the back has been worked out
What’s more damming is Rath coming out suggesting our game plan is…..not to have a game plan just have “players making good decisions so the opponents can never predict us”

Problem is our team mates need predictability especially if you have change gear during a game - you want everyone knowing what they’re doing .

Ofcourse we need to recruit better players
But unless we get some real football nous in the box with a plan to fix a “bomb it to forward 50” game plan we are going nowhere
I note Lethlean didn’t say they’d assessed Clarkson

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 6:55pm Lethlean: “But we aren’t as reactive internally perhaps as the external football world is"

Ya not kidding!!!

Re-signing Richo...

Same process...

Inertia, Inertia, Inertia....>>>>>

Ol' Man river, just keeps rollin'...just keeps rollin' on!

Not to question Ratten, but St Kilda cannot break inertia, not since the days of Butters.

Too many interlocking processes ...mutual interests, it will get done.
We are where we are under Richo 9 years on??
No man’s land
Still with a list that can’t challenge top 4
A “nice guy” coach who takes match day tactics from a stats analyst !
A Board who all appear a bit “let’s look after our mates” down there

“Yeah….nah””
Sanctorum
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 7:07pm Thanks for posting Sanctorum.

My take always, firstly the players know they are the missing link, love it when Steely talks dirty.

And secondly Lethlean knows "players" are the missing link -- "Lethlean", still one of the more important links.

We all know it, sucessful recruitment over the next 2 or 3 years is what will bring in the silverware.

We need to recruit a split of ready to go types and also needs-based types from the draft.

Forget the distraction: Recruitment Matters Most, that's the kernel we must focus our accountability onto, but sticking the coarse with this current coach is also paramount, they go together in all successful systems from the past.

How obvious is all that!
That's exactly the correct perspective Vortex, couldn't agree more....

I understand why many on this forum are up in arms about where the team is at, losing the last 3 contests with piss-poor effort is certainly demoralising.

The club obviously gets the message as well by coming out and facing the media on Monday.

But if there is one thing I have learned over the many decades of dedicating my support to St Kilda it is that no matter how much we kick and scream when the team is down, it is wasted emotional energy. We are entirely dependent on the whims of the "powers that be", the ones that make the decisions, and sometimes this has resulted in sackings of coaches and coups of the Board. That happens in all sporting codes that have tens of thousands of passionate supporters.

But right now I firmly believe St Kilda is miles away from that point. Just look at things rationally - has there ever been a time when supporters have yelled "sack the coach" and "change the Board" when the team has been placed 10th with a 8-6 win/loss ratio???

Our players list is seriously deficient in A grade talent and I am quite satisfied that the club knows this and is doing all in its power to fix that up as soon as they possibly can.

Amen!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Tommyj
Club Player

I've noticed in the last 4 weeks we've got too many players running back defencely then when we get a turn over the forward line is bare which is why the opposition is taking the easy ball whatever happened to all out attack and our crumers ffs

happy feet
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 10:31pm

Who the hell are you?
All your doing is sooking because I want Ratts to be sacked and the whole board as well. Guess what HF, a lot of other posters want the same but you're picking on me because you think I'm an easy target.
I’m commenting on your posts because they are Illconcieved, illogical and add no value to this forum whatsoever. I don’t sook, I just expose frauds like you and I do it really well.