The Ride

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Ride

I cannot remember anytime in the last 20 years where there has been this much excitement and hype in an off-season since we all got onboard.

Drawing no other parallel (goodness knows I hope none emerge)…

Is this the most positively exciting off-season in 20 years?

And the bigger question… how far do ppl think we can go in the next 3 years?
Last edited by skeptic on Sat 29 Oct 2022 10:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Ride

Has he got 3 years, contract says 4 years but this is St Kilda.

Something that has been lost in the wash but is evident in the length of contract AND the state of the current list..we are officially in rebuild mode...bigtime.

So nothing has changed other than the coach but I'm an unashamed RL fan.

Basset has gone all chips in to deflect attention away from his own performance. If RL fails he will take Bassett down with him...he has to.

Bottom 4 next year, could rise higher if we have incredible luck with injury...again nothing has changed.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 25 Oct 2022 9:33am Has he got 3 years, contract says 4 years but this is St Kilda.

Something that has been lost in the wash but is evident in the length of contract AND the state of the current list..we are officially in rebuild mode...bigtime.

Basset has gone all chips in to deflect attention away from his own performance. If RL fails he will take Bassett down with him...he has to.

Bottom 4 next year, could rise higher if we have incredible luck with injury...again nothing has changed.
:roll: :evil:

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Yes, amazing.

Did you watch the presser?

Look, i liked brett, but listening to Ross it is chalk and cheese i am afraid. Sure he had a few cliches in the mix but boy oh boy does he speak with clarity, authority and knowledge. Absolute gun. Also his references to the broader operating structure and the criticality of this to his decision making process was most pleasing

#1 Ryder fan
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Tue 25 Oct 2022 9:35am Yes, amazing.

Look, i liked brett, but listening to Ross it is chalk and cheese i am afraid. Sure he had a few cliches in the mix but boy oh boy does he speak with clarity, authority and knowledge. Absolute gun. Also his references to the broader operating structure and the criticality of this to his decision making process was most pleasing
This (above)
I hope.

I get nervous hearing him saying he will defer to Enright and co. It suggests he will dilute home self. To offset that, I am reminding myself that he is his own man, and his competitiveness will melt through that layer of dribble that the media etc., showered him with

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

This (above)
I hope.

I get nervous hearing him saying he will defer to Enright and co. It suggests he will dilute home self. To offset that, I am reminding myself that he is his own man, and his competitiveness will melt through that layer of dribble that the media etc., showered him with

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 25 Oct 2022 9:33am Has he got 3 years, contract says 4 years but this is St Kilda.

We've been rebuilding since 2019. Don't know how we'll go next year, however I'm sure we'll be more consistent and the gap between our best and worse will be far narrower. I'm confident we won't be finishing bottom 4.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Last time we were on this ride it looked like this:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think I’ve seen so much backlash towards the club from both the AFL media and the general public.

It’d be nice if the club could respond to this shitstorm with a statement to indicate that we’re back in business. A new leaf needs to be finally turned after the last decade of near hopelessness.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Tue 25 Oct 2022 11:53am I don’t think I’ve seen so much backlash towards the club from both the AFL media and the general public.

It’d be nice if the club could respond to this shitstorm with a statement to indicate that we’re back in business. A new leaf needs to be finally turned after the last decade of near hopelessness.
You think they haven't already done that with the last 2 pressers?

Bassat/Lethlean and now Lyon have virtually told the general football world to GAGF.
A line in the sand has been drawn.
They will live/die by the results of these decisions.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 25 Oct 2022 11:46am Last time we were on this ride it looked like this:
turned out pretty well in the end. his profile lifted the club and our aspirations and attracted talent.
his ineptitude (along with his predecessors) gave us some much needed early access to the draft and didn't we use them well.
and we became a genuine contender for close to a decade.
hopefully with ross we'll skip the ineptitude and early draft picks (although we do really need them).

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

What I liked most was him talking about being willing to invest emotionally without guarantee of success and that being the driver of your training and performance. That sounds to me like a.smart coach who's a leader.
And yep for sure chalk and cheese between Ratts and RL in presentation, clarity and authority. He's brimming with "don't f*** with me". Love it. Some farkin steel in our leadership. Bring on 2023.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Tue 25 Oct 2022 12:06pm
Sainternist wrote: Tue 25 Oct 2022 11:53am I don’t think I’ve seen so much backlash towards the club from both the AFL media and the general public.

Bassat/Lethlean and now Lyon have virtually told the general football world to GAGF.
I was all for what was said in the pressers. It’s just the general football thinks the club is a joke.

My biggest gripe is that fans of clubs like Essendon and Carlton are shamelessly joining in with the orgy of ridicule. Pretty rich coming from their supporters! :roll:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Tue 25 Oct 2022 1:14pm
Mr Magic wrote: Tue 25 Oct 2022 12:06pm

I was all for what was said in the pressers. It’s just the general football thinks the club is a joke.

My biggest gripe is that fans of clubs like Essendon and Carlton are shamelessly joining in with the orgy of ridicule. Pretty rich coming from their supporters! :roll:
F*** ‘em!😀

sks023
Club Player

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 25 Oct 2022 10:07am

We've been rebuilding since 2019. Don't know how we'll go next year, however I'm sure we'll be more consistent and the gap between our best and worse will be far narrower. I'm confident we won't be finishing bottom 4.
Finishing bottom four sounds a bit Damian Barrett
Our list is nowhere near that bad

I think we will break back into the eight

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Duggies and salary cap cheats..who the f*** cares what they think.

SaintWiki
Club Player

I have been skeptical over Ross Lyon but was always going to get on board and support the team onfield and coaching staff when all the recent rehash was over, and I didn't see a guaranteed better option - and I must say I didn't see myself feeling this positive at this time of the year.

Off the field we now have Robert Harvey, Lenny Hayes and Corey Enright under Ross Lyon which brings joy to my heart and can't wait to see what they can do, albeit I'm willing to give them time to sort things out.

It's hard to explain my hidden hurt to see Harves and Lenny at other clubs and needed to keep telling myself they are 'developing experience' and getting the chance to learn from other clubs and coaches - however, as time went on I had that heavy feeling we may never see them at Moorabbin again.

I think Ross Lyon will really be hungry for a Premiership this time around as it'll probably be his last chance. Also I don't underestimate that the playing group should be more positive about their future, especially because many past Saints hero's seem to be elated about the decision of re-signing Ross Lyon and it certainly won't hurt the perception of potential recruits as well.

Bad Luck Ratts and I feel for you, but I didn't have enough left in my heart to feel confident in facing another year without a booster injection, therefore I thank club management for what they came up with.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

What we all want is good consistent football.
The team are good enough , in the last five or so years we beat the Tigers , Cats and Dogs in the year they won the premiership !
So what's holding us back ?
Only the mindset and attitude of the playing group.
Hopefully Lyon can turn this around .

In red white and black from 73
Sanctorum
Club Player

So there you are Vortex!!! you've been so quiet lately I was wondering if all of the latest hair raising events might have been too much for you to stomach :lol:

This last 11 days has been by far the most intensely dramatic period in any off-season that I can remember, EVER. The toings and goings of all the main players in this comic opera has been on the news every single day, quite fascinating actually and the final episode with yesterdays dramatic press conference when RTB put on a masterful performance would have been enough to win over even the fiercest Lyon hater on this forum!

In today's Herald Sun and Age, and the Australian, there are exceptionally well written articles about the "Resurrection of Saint Ross" as beautifully depicted in a cartoon by Mark Knight - I've posted the full transcripts on another thread, very long but well worth reading, exciting stuff!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 25 Oct 2022 10:07am

I think we've been rebuilding since October 1966.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but there was that game honouring mental health, before the game- on the ground with players locking arms, Ratts was pictured standing next to Steele, Jack had been crying.
Had Ratts been talking in the rooms about mental health and ruined their preparation?
Did he burst their bubble? I think that game, we were overrun in the 1st qtr and couldn't recover.
Or am i mistaken

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

G Train said it well.
Gap between our best and worse will be much less.
Ratts worked under Clarko but I think after the bye, he failed to either pick the right team or prepare them correctly.
Ratts failed us- 8/3 before the bye and them gave up.

Lyon won't let that happen.
We might lose a game by 8 goals or more, but I am positive the next game will be a win, or at least we'll fight to the end.
None of this leaking goals in the last few minutes of a quarter.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
B.M
Saintsational Legend

How

Won’t he let that happen?

Has Ross never had sides lose by a big margin??

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Cadillac Escalade with spinning rims.

The Ride.

Black, red upholstery, white walls.

Will take you all the way, comfortably.

(Electric or hybrid, of course.)

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Who the hell knows really?

Wouldn't be surprised if we're bottom four next year. Might not be a bad thing, either.

Nor would I be suprised if RL gets the best out of Hill, Clark, Jones and Billings, for instance -- and in that case, assuming a decent run with injuries, we're finalists again. He might also straighten out King's goalkicking and make the overambitious Gresham into a small forward (which IMHO is his natural position).

Could we go all the way? Highly doubtful, but if you take the team that beat Geelong in Round 9 and add better coaching and more accountability ... well, who knows?