Training

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training

SaintPav wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 3:57pm Shane Ellis...

:evil: :twisted:
Yeah, a prick. Only decent game he ever played.

Cowboy would have been handy in that game. He would have knocked that halfwit Jarman out.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 02 Feb 2023 5:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

tony74 wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 3:51pm In my humble opinion Tony Modra not playing was a huge contributing factor. He plays, Shanners has an opponent. The Crows have their usual game plan etc etc. Horrible day
heaven help us If Modra played
always felt that Blight would rest Jarman in the forwardline during the game
Modra didnt play in the '98 GF either against North - AND surprise surprise jarman kicks 5

Having said that '97 was the only year I saw that i believed we would go all the way even after 3 rounds

Seeya
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 4:12pm

Year, Prick. Only decent game he ever played.

Cowboy would have been handy in that game. He would have knocked that halfwit Jarman out.
Had to read that twice.

I thought you wrote, “yeah, prick”…

:D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 5:27pm

Had to read that twice.

Yeah, I did. Amended it using my laptop. Don't know why amendment didn't stick.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 11:52am What critical mistake did he make game day? I remember the crap personal issues in the week leading up to the GF, but can't remember the critical mistake. I do remember sitting there glum faced whilst Jarman went mental in the last QTR and the funereal walk down Brunton Ave afterwards.
Alves made some strategic blunders when it was clear the momentum in the match was shifting and how it was shifting.

We had our hands on the ball a lot - we had 40-odd more possessions than they did - but Adelaide began to control the flow of the ball early in the third term.

They went long, direct when they had to, and to spare men when they found those. They almost never went sideways. They put us under maximum pressure.

The obvious tactic was to send more men behind the ball, to stop the flow of those long passes and to tie up those loose men. I saw it all unfold from my vantage point on the half-forward flank. I couldn't believe we didn't move more men behind the ball.

Instead, we kidded ourselves into thinking as the match slipped away, we needed to attack more. We needed to stop the bleeding and instead we allowed them to run all over us.

The end result was a 13-point half-time lead became a 31-point defeat, a 45-point turnaround. And it was, largely, because Alves was obliterated in the box. He couldn't respond to Blight's movement of the pieces to create superior match-ups and the way the ball was moved.
Killa wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 12:34pm The loss of Everitt and Vidovic was crucial.

Adelaide has Rehn, BOG and who fed the mids eventually allowing for the last quarter and Jarman (with a question as to Shanahan being the match up, Jarman just too mobile in the face of Rehn's dominance and the incoming ball)
All fair. But the real genius was the movement of the ball from defence to attack.

Goodwin, Caven, McLeod, Smart all got the thing moving so fast. It was like we'd never seen counter-attacking footy. To be fair, that year, we hadn't needed to.

We had a brief - brief - moment to get back into the game before 3QT. Winmar snapped a nice goal, Loewe was denied a certain goal by a smother and with two seconds left, Lappin snapped one that was touched on the line. Had either of those last two gone in, we'd have kicked the last two of the term, and trailed by just a goal. We'd have had momentum, belief and a chance. Hall overran a clear goal at the beginning of the fourth; the umpires give Jarman a free kick that wasn't there - and what should have been a one-goal margin becomes three. That's as close as we get.

Having said all of that, Adelaide were sensational on that day. They would've beaten anyone in the competition that year - an admittedly weak year, when Geelong (2nd) weren't all that good and the Bulldogs (3rd) were superb on their day but lacked mental toughness. The best team of that era, North, were having their only down year of the period (and still made it to a PF from 7th).
Last edited by evertonfc on Sun 05 Feb 2023 4:16pm, edited 3 times in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I started to worry when boofhead missed a sitter, I think just before half time.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Forget the losses of players...what Stan failed with was his plan for Jarman and his instruction to those who should have offered more protection to what Harvey endured.

Let's face it, Jarman to full forward was not a surprise tactic. Shanahan was having a horrible day well before he picked up Jarman.

People talk of coaches not having a Plan B. Stan had a week to work out plan B.

Loewe, Winmar & injuries to key players were all out of Stan's control. Adelaide had injuries as well, unfortunately the one to Modra worked in their favour. They should never have made the GF that year.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Stan wrote in his book that he froze in the last quarter, to his eternal regret. The days when assistants didn't stand up and try to lead?
It just wasn't meant to be, so when the gods don't want to play nice you cop it regardless of what is fair and decent. They delivered the thousand cuts so cruelly though.

happy feet
Club Player

A big shout out to B.M and others that provide training reports. They are great, seem to be appreciated by many, please keep up the great work.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

tony74 wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 3:51pm In my humble opinion Tony Modra not playing was a huge contributing factor. He plays, Shanners has an opponent. The Crows have their usual game plan etc etc. Horrible day
Both Ricciuto & Modra were AA in 97 and missed the GF along with a couple of other handy players I can’t recall.

Hard to suggest they were better off without a guy who kicked 84 goals that season not to mention probably their best all time player.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

25 years on and I still can’t forgive alves

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 4:17pm Well I’m so glad RTB is in charge now. He’ll whip these boys into shape

Can’t imagine how far they would have dropped if we hadn’t made the big change
Spot on Firey

Below from Stav on BF articulates the shift at the club already - re skills we need to
1. Train under that intense pressure to improve it
2. Develop players where we can to improve
3. Recruit players with the right skill attributes

It’s why I do hope guys like Connolly make it….has natural skill …..needs to learn how to apply those consistently at top levels

Stav BF

There are probably upwards of 10 posters on here - who have all been.

And we have all said the same thing.

It’s a completely different place.

Those of us thst have managed to talk to players - all the same.

They all say it’s been bloody tough. Harder then they imagined, that they are learning so much during the video sessions and during training itself - but they all are enjoying being at the Moorabbin now.

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 6:07pm I started to worry when boofhead missed a sitter, I think just before half time.
Who is boofhead?

Heatley?

That poster?

That was the death knell for me...and we were still ahead!

I will never forget that women's face in the crowd. Saints fan. She looked looked she heard some terrible news after the camera panned onto her after that poster.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Everyone apart from Stan knew Blight’s moves were coming after half time:

McLeod into the midfield
Bickley to half back
Jarman forward

AJ tried to communicate with Stan on the moves he needed to make.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 03 Feb 2023 12:41am
saynta wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 6:07pm I started to worry when boofhead missed a sitter, I think just before half time.
Who is boofhead?

Heatley?

That poster?

That was the death knell for me...and we were still ahead!

I will never forget that women's face in the crowd. Saints fan. She looked looked she heard some terrible news after the camera panned onto her after that poster.
Big bad Barry Hall. :roll:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 11:05pm
The Fireman wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 4:17pm Well I’m so glad RTB is in charge now. He’ll whip these boys into shape

Spot on Firey

Below from Stav on BF articulates the shift at the club already - re skills we need to

It’s why I do hope guys like Connolly make it….has natural skill …..needs to learn how to apply those consistently at top levels

Stav BF

They all say it’s been bloody tough. Harder then they imagined, that they are learning so much during the video sessions and during training itself - but they all are enjoying being at the Moorabbin now.
Regarding the changes in training - the most telling thing from Cal Willie's presser that Saynta posted a link to yesterday was a reference he made - about half way through - to everyone having buy in and being on the same page. Next sentence he said there was division in the group previously. A telling reference to the dysfunction in the coaching group and players in the last half of last year. We were a house divided and we played like it.
There's not much more dispiriting than a workplace where management are dysfunctional and the place is consequently divided. Must be a breath of fresh air for all the players.

older saint
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 6:14pm Forget the losses of players...what Stan failed with was his plan for Jarman and his instruction to those who should have offered more protection to what Harvey endured.

Let's face it, Jarman to full forward was not a surprise tactic. Shanahan was having a horrible day well before he picked up Jarman.

People talk of coaches not having a Plan B. Stan had a week to work out plan B.

Loewe, Winmar & injuries to key players were all out of Stan's control. Adelaide had injuries as well, unfortunately the one to Modra worked in their favour. They should never have made the GF that year.
I got told from reliable source in 1998 that Alves left the prelim at 3/4 time with the game plan set for the WB. 3/4 time Ellen goes forward as does Jarman and panic calls were made after the game to what happened. Combined with a spray at half time despite being in front to a group which was fragile didnt help and then the injuries to 2 ruckmen and the situations with Loewe and Winmar, Keogh who had been impact off the bench having to start on due to a starting Mid vomiting, it was a perfect storm

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 03 Feb 2023 10:41am

Spot on Firey

Stav BF

Regarding the changes in training - the most telling thing from Cal Willie's presser that Saynta posted a link to yesterday was a reference he made - about half way through - to everyone having buy in and being on the same page. Next sentence he said there was division in the group previously. A telling reference to the dysfunction in the coaching group and players in the last half of last year. We were a house divided and we played like it.
There's not much more dispiriting than a workplace where management are dysfunctional and the place is consequently divided. Must be a breath of fresh air for all the players.
Around the 9 min 30 sec mark of that interview with Cal.

"...everyone is really engaged; everyone is bringing notepads in. It's been a really good shift".

That sounds like a transformation to me.

The implication that Cal has probably unwittingly exposed is that the players weren't as engaged under the previous coaching regime, which is a sign of leadership mediocrity.

Fascinating.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Hard to engage with emotional pleadings to try harder, please win, generalised platitudes. Too nebulous. Boring even?
Can sympathise and wonder what more can be done and want to improve but its specifics on the directives, role definition and targets that can really drive performance. I think. Plus focused training.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 03 Feb 2023 10:41am

Spot on Firey

Stav BF

i sometimes get bored and switch off half way through pressers.
Not this one, wilkie is sharp as a tack articulated the mood that leaves no doubt about the clubs endeavour.
I picked up on that StB and couldn't help being vindicated for being an RTB fanboy. and what about the chestnut "Ross won't wait for anyone "
The club has been injected with spine and determination and find hard to believe all on here cant see that.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I thought Wilkie was a bit giggly and flaky in parts which could be due to him needing more practice at how to conduct oneself as a leader in a apresser but having said that he has already probably passed Steely in that regard on the account he at least looks like he's enjoying himself, was one of tbe issues Roo struggled with.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

There always has to be one critic . I personally thought he was a well spoken articulate young man.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 03 Feb 2023 5:16pm There always has to be one critic . I personally thought he was a well spoken articulate young man.
And you’re thoughts would align with everyone else here on this forum

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 5:33pm

Had to read that twice.

So you did call me a prick?

How rude.

😆

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 03 Feb 2023 5:46pm
saynta wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 5:33pm

Had to read that twice.

So you did call me a prick?

How rude.

😆
Ha ha. No, I called Shane Ellis a prick. And he is/was. Ruined a f****** good day.