Jones now struggling with injury

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Jones now struggling with injury

Saints mid set to miss R1, no rush on star forward's return - https://www.afl.com.au/news/876211

Seems the way Jones' pre seasons go. Not what he needed for this season. I don't know whether to laugh or cry with our Sydney recruits.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jones now struggling with injury

Good
One less to worry about

Sick of hearing about the injuries .. (respect to Zac for ploughing on)

But look, I think the best we can expect is as a sub player- an impact player we use when we sub out someone .

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

What you get when you trawl through better resourced clubs rubbish bins looking for diamonds.
No issue with young guys with no known issues I.e Steele, Membrey etc.
Freeman injury prone, Hannebery and Jones lifestyle choices and body issues, ditto for Carlisle.
Time to go the draft and leave broken down hacks and players with known issues alone!

Club Player

Should have been delisted.
Been a disaster of a recruit.
Hannebery like almost.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until it improves, this list is so fragile, physically and mentally, it is so sensitive to injury. Despite the hate for Jones it would be helpful if can be a contributor in a midfield that really is ho hum.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

No hate here, just sick of bringing in damaged goods all the time!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Cooked.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 7:26pm No hate here, just sick of bringing in damaged goods all the time!
Yeah I share your frustration, it's why I'm squarely in the camp that changing coaches changes very little because the biggest problem still exists for the club no matter who the coach is and that is the clubs ability to build a list capable of challenging. The more the years pass the more I'm anchored to the view that 2009 list was rarer than Haley's Comet.

All I hope is that they keep Lyon around for at least 4 years and we start to manage ourselves like Geelong and not crap our pants every few years.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

We pay these clowns to build a squad, not sure they have any idea.
Imagine getting rid of McEvoy to bring in Hickey and Longer !
Crouch hasn’t stuffed up yet but it’s on the cards.
Apparently Bruce was a loose cannon so they were happy to let him go, a better option may have been to not get him in the first instance.surely in this day and age players skill and behaviour defects are surely plain to see?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 8:02pm We pay these clowns to build a squad, not sure they have any idea.
Imagine getting rid of McEvoy to bring in Hickey and Longer !
Crouch hasn’t stuffed up yet but it’s on the cards.
Apparently Bruce was a loose cannon so they were happy to let him go, a better option may have been to not get him in the first instance.surely in this day and age players skill and behaviour defects are surely plain to see?
Yep! the latest one I'm struggling to get my head around is the recruitment of Cordy, if the guessing by fans is any indication it turns out we are paying him very good coin to be a backup player, and get this, in a part of the ground we are fully stocked for, I mean for crying out loud a blind man on galloping horse could see we were in the market for a tall forward...and that was before our current crisis.

Anyway, all these injuries are getting very frustrating.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Jones is good footballer. Get him back on the park asap

Banger9798
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 8:25pm Jones is good footballer. Get him back on the park asap
He has played alot of good games and a few excellent games for us. Last year was not great, and with a calf and Achilles he is starting to look like his time is coming to an end.
With Owens, Windhager, NWM, Phillipou and co coming in and Clark , Billings and Gresham back - he has alot to compete with.
2023 last chance to get right. I would rest him and do a proper rehab and allow him to genuinely earn his spot

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 9:04pm
The Fireman wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 8:25pm Jones is good footballer. Get him back on the park asap
He has played alot of good games and a few excellent games for us. Last year was not great, and with a calf and Achilles he is starting to look like his time is coming to an end.
With Owens, Windhager, NWM, Phillipou and co coming in and Clark , Billings and Gresham back - he has alot to compete with.
2023 last chance to get right. I would rest him and do a proper rehab andv
Of course he has to earn his spot

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Personally I’d rather just put a line through him.

Obviously talented but like Billings, there’s just always an issue
Last edited by skeptic on Wed 22 Feb 2023 8:37am, edited 1 time in total.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I'd be more surprised if the headline was Jones not struggling with injury.
Let's face it , he like a number of our players is brittle.
He's played 42 games in his three years at the club , when he's fit and firing a good contributor , but of course you never know how long he's going to last .
Hopefully his luck will change

In red white and black from 73
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 7:47pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 7:26pm No hate here, just sick of bringing in damaged goods all the time!
Yeah I share your frustration, it's why I'm squarely in the camp that changing coaches changes very little because the biggest problem still exists for the club no matter who the coach is and that is the clubs ability to build a list capable of challenging. The more the years pass the more I'm anchored to the view that 2009 list was rarer than Haley's Comet.

All I hope is that they keep Lyon around for at least 4 years and we start to manage ourselves like Geelong and not crap our pants every few years.
You’re in the minority there. It’s a very defeatist attitude. Like saying, ‘we’re crap anyway so what difference will a change of coach make?'

why even have a coach if they make no difference? just have a footy manager.

Some of the points you make are correct about our list, but I am very confident that Ratten was NEVER going to take this group anywhere. We may well be average this year because of a poor list ( minimal fwds, developing mids working with established okish mids) but after 3 years of one coach, not sure it’s crapping your pants to change direction. In fact I’m certain it’s not. It’s the manner in which we were playing and the general cluelessness of the coach which demanded changes.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

At last, someone who knows footy and footballers. :wink:

Sick of listening to wingers and their whiney negative crap. :evil:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Good player - playing a sport that is brutal on the body

Injuries are a part of footy

Rehab him and when he’s ready, he returns- he’s in the best 23

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

There are some players who have the consistency of fitness and output that you build a midfield around.

Jones isn't one of them, but you would certainly play him any game he's fit and able to play in.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think when it comes to fitness, there’s a micro level of preparation that extends far far beyond the concept of train hard and do your rehab.
It goes in the area of only eat these foods at these times, avoid those ones, strictly do these stretches at these time, if a) happens so this, b) happens do that etc (pbly far more complex than that but you get the idea).

I think the players that embrace that are those that really hit the gold standard of fitness and endurance. Lenny Hayes is the obvious example of what that looks like as if any one player would have a reasonable excuse to have an injury interrupted career based on style, it’s him.

Reality was it was quite the opposite however Hayes being remarkably durable without a lot of soft tissue lay offs over his career IIRC.

I’ve formed the impression that Jones really just doesn’t have that mind set. I think our list has been plagued by players that have obvious potential but never reach close to that peak fitness and are often really prone to soft tissue injuries that IMO are due to poor prep/recovery.

Jones’ has a reputation on this forum as a bit of a party guy and a drinker. Whilst I don’t pretend to know the ins and outs of his personal habits based on watching his continuous difficulties with soft tissue injuries which are now compounded by the fact that they’ve occurred so often he’s simply more prone to it…
Well I’ve just come to the conclusion that whatever his main focus is… he doesn’t seem to have that maniacal obsession to be the best that so many champions have.

In that context he kind of reminds me of Raph Clark (who I really liked) that came to us as a prospective elite’ish mid who seemed barely able to get to an intense sprint without a leg injury hence was moved to a flank. Maybe that’s harsh but he never seemed close to elite fitness to me over his 8odd year career.

So I’m left in this position of questioning why are we bothering with this? Jones is on the list and being paid an amount (pbly) in line with being a good player. If he can’t ever have a good season then what’s the point? Again, I’d rather just be done with it rather than have him constantly feature in our plans but never actually come to fruition.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Robert Harvey had soft tissue injuries

He prepared ok

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 12:33pm Robert Harvey had soft tissue injuries

He prepared ok
Yeah that’s a good comparison.

Harvey had really poor durability didn’t he. What did he play 70 odd games and was known to be extremely injury prone.

Jones legs would melt if did as much running in a game as Harvey in his prime
Last edited by skeptic on Wed 22 Feb 2023 1:12pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

How many years left on Jones’ contract?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
King Max
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 8:02pm We pay these clowns to build a squad, not sure they have any idea.
Imagine getting rid of McEvoy to bring in Hickey and Longer !?
Hickey and McEvoy played together and could have done so for ten years.

And it was 10 years ago so it was a different set of clowns

Rubyjo
Club Player

Honestly I feel we don't need Jones
Headless chook at times
Line breaker at times
We need better ..but he hasn't snapped his Achilles so he will be back ..good medi sub