Rate Ryan Byrnes’ game!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rate Ryan Byrnes’ game!

skeptic wrote: Fri 24 Mar 2023 9:18am
SaintPav wrote: Fri 24 Mar 2023 8:01am Byrnes was a highly rated junior. Captain of the Dragons and won their Best and Fairest as well. He also represented Vic Metro.

Not sure why he was written off. I expect him to be a good player for the next 10+ years.
From recollection - he debuted early and was not competitive at senior level at all.

Came back a while later and had actually improved quite markedly and there were a lot of signs that he would be a good pick.

He then had a little stretch where he was in and out on merit which was fine. Then I think it was 2021 but maybe off where most were hoping he’d elevate to be top 22 consistently and he was just off the pace. Didn’t get a lot of ball, disposal was iffy etc. I think most here still hoped that he would have his break out year last year but Byrnes seemingly fell even further off the pace… landed in the category of can he get enough ball, is his disposal average, does he actually have any weapons etc

From memory, he featured amongst delist conversations in the off-season (not overly so but noticeably) and there was commentary about whether he had the tank to be a mid or should he move to a flank/pocket which was complicated by the query on his disposal.

I think what was missing was a big performance that showed us this guy actually has a high ceiling. Obviously one game a season does not make but boy Byrnes emphatically put that to bed. Now the hope is that he stays at a standard that is clearly top 22 as opposed to making us wonder if it was a fluke.
Yep
Nice summary Skeptic

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 24 Mar 2023 8:01am Byrnes was a highly rated junior. Captain of the Dragons and won their Best and Fairest as well. He also represented Vic Metro.

Not sure why he was written off. I expect him to be a good player for the next 10+ years.
From recollection - he debuted early and was not competitive at senior level at all.

Came back a while later and had actually improved quite markedly and there were a lot of signs that he would be a good pick.

He then had a little stretch where he was in and out on merit which was fine. Then I think it was 2021 but maybe off where most were hoping he’d elevate to be top 22 consistently and he was just off the pace. Didn’t get a lot of ball, disposal was iffy etc. I think most here still hoped that he would have his break out year last year but Byrnes seemingly fell even further off the pace… landed in the category of can he get enough ball, is his disposal average, does he actually have any weapons etc

From memory, he featured amongst delist conversations in the off-season (not overly so but noticeably) and there was commentary about whether he had the tank to be a mid or should he move to a flank/pocket which was complicated by the query on his disposal.

I think what was missing was a big performance that showed us this guy actually has a high ceiling. Obviously one game a season does not make but boy Byrnes emphatically put that to bed. Now the hope is that he stays at a standard that is clearly top 22 as opposed to making us wonder if it was a fluke.
Yep
Nice summary Skeptic

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yep
Nice summary Skeptic

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yep
Nice summary Skeptic

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I agree with most of this but question the 'out on merit' opinion.

Byrnes was selected as the medi sub 5 times in 2022. In his first 2 games he was below average on 11 disposals but had limited time with on 67%. We were winning.

He was not played again until we started to implode, with no discernible game plan.

From round 14 - 20 he played 2 was dropped for 2 and then 18 and 19 he averaged 17 disposals at 77% game time and was used as the sub in round 20 and didn't play again, might have been injured?

The momentum he built up in 21 was squashed by a desperate coach. Meanwhile Dean Kent was gifted 2 games to get his hundred and was gifted the last 20 games of his career and contributed nothing.
Jones, Hill, Clark, and Butler were all more experienced and much higher profile and were gifted games and produce sub par performances regularly when not injured or having personal league.
All of the kids that were played had less disposal averages than Byrnes.

I question that there was much merit in selection after round 12, at all.

Ratten was already gone and he knew it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 24 Mar 2023 2:20pm

I agree with most of this but question the 'out on merit' opinion.

Byrnes was selected as the medi sub 5 times in 2022. In his first 2 games he was below average on 11 disposals but had limited time with on 67%. We were winning.

He was not played again until we started to implode, with no discernible game plan.

From round 14 - 20 he played 2 was dropped for 2 and then 18 and 19 he averaged 17 disposals at 77% game time and was used as the sub in round 20 and didn't play again, might have been injured?

The momentum he built up in 21 was squashed by a desperate coach. Meanwhile Dean Kent was gifted 2 games to get his hundred and was gifted the last 20 games of his career and contributed nothing.
Jones, Hill, Clark, and Butler were all more experienced and much higher profile and were gifted games and produce sub par performances regularly when not injured or having personal league.
All of the kids that were played had less disposal averages than Byrnes.

I question that there was much merit in selection after round 12, at all.

Ratten was already gone and he knew it.
Yep. I’ll concede on all points.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Anyone know about his injury?

King Max
Club Player

Just taken off to give Windy a run I thought.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

My only disapointment about the game was Byrnes not backing up last week, in fact it was a shocker, if it was injury fair enough but sheez, Byrnes and Bytel can't string it together can they...as I say, for whatever reason.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 8:55am My only disapointment about the game was Byrnes not backing up last week, in fact it was a shocker, if it was injury fair enough but sheez, Byrnes and Bytel can't string it together can they...as I say, for whatever reason.
He was quiet, apparently he is sore. No wonder. 80+% game time through 14 kilometres, is almost double his usual output. We train at Moorabbin but apparently the stadium is hard.
According to the coach, he contributed, I suggest that while others went to work, he maintained a structure and I didn't see much resistance from the Doggies.
We also circle the ground a lot and the play is deliberately directed to Woods wing when we attack, with the other side left open to speed and a rolling structure. This is more evident from the stands. You can understand why. This was the case last week, looking from level 2 in the Medallion Club. Byrnes was on our side. In the first and third, but went over and imposed himself on the game in the second and last, when it really mattered.
It would be a Holy Day in heaven if you weren't disappointed about something Vort. 😊 Did you have a chunder?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 9:31am
Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 8:55am My only disapointment about the game was Byrnes not backing up last week, in fact it was a shocker, if it was injury fair enough but sheez, Byrnes and Bytel can't string it together can they...as I say, for whatever reason.
He was quiet, apparently he is sore. No wonder. 80+% game time through 14 kilometres, is almost double his usual output. We train at Moorabbin but apparently the stadium is hard.
According to the coach, he contributed, I suggest that while others went to work, he maintained a structure and I didn't see much resistance from the Doggies.
We also circle the ground a lot and the play is deliberately directed to Woods wing when we attack, with the other side left open to speed and a rolling structure. This is more evident from the stands. You can understand why. This was the case last week, looking from level 2 in the Medallion Club. Byrnes was on our side. In the first and third, but went over and imposed himself on the game in the second and last, when it really mattered.
It would be a Holy Day in heaven if you weren't disappointed about something Vort. 😊 Did you have a chunder?
He went from 27 Ds and 580 MGs to 8 Ds and 70 MGs so I am holding back a little bit of vomit, but I'm going to try hard not to go the full spew as it would appear he has an excuse.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

What's to be remembered is that, on any given day, there is an understanding and expectation that, the process will be followed.
Ross and Paton exceeded any impact Byrnes had the week before and Windhager was in reserve. That's the difference between a good coach and a good team.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 9:31am
:wink: 8-) :lol: