Was this a soft kill ..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Was this a soft kill ..

Were we playing at half pace ..saving ourselves for next week ..because Adelaide will be seriously hard to win . Kind of looked like it but unsure ..

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Was this a soft kill ..

Gee we can only hope so

I prefer to see 100% every game

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

No kangas played super negative game
Sides are making it harder
Crows very effective into 50 they will look to score
We’ll be up against it
Our midfield has me most worried

“Yeah….nah””
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Some will look at the result and say we only won by 30 points and didn't play well, but defensively we were excellent.

34 is the lowest score conceded since Round 17 last year, by any team.

We kept North goalless for a half, their first goalless opening half in over 40 years.

It was the 4th lowest score by an Alistair Clarkson coached team.

We had 24 scoring shots, we've only had more twice in our last 20 matches.

We conceded 14 scores, we've conceded less just once in our last 37 matches.

We had 76 tackles. Our most since Round 20 last year and well above our 2023 average.

We won all four quarters for the first time since Round 11 last year.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 12:24am No kangas played super negative game
Sides are making it harder
Crows very effective into 50 they will look to score
We’ll be up against it
Our midfield has me most worried
Yeah. Midfield looked ordinary

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 9:09am Some will look at the result and say we only won by 30 points and didn't play well, but defensively we were excellent.

We kept North goalless for a half, their first goalless opening half in over 40 years.

We had 76 tackles. Our most since Round 20 last year and well above our 2023 average.

I wouldn't be celebrating.
North missed more than a few easy chances to convert.
Could easily have been 9.5 instead of 4.10. ..and woe be told the gallows crew might have woken from their slumber.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 10:37am
Beno88 wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 9:09am Some will look at the result and say we only won by 30 points and didn't play well, but defensively we were excellent.

Could easily have been 9.5 instead of 4.10. ..and woe be told the gallows crew might have woken from their slumber.
North missed plenty, but it went both ways.

We were 1.9 just before halftime, and kicked 3.6 to 3.0 in the third quarter.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 1:20pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 10:37am

North missed plenty, but it went both ways.

We were 1.9 just before halftime, and kicked 3.6 to 3.0 in the third quarter.
Fair enough..

And the Higgins miss was just mind boggling.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

That game was excruciating to watch. It was quite reminiscent to that Good Friday match against North in 2018, only we didn’t lose. The strange thing was we never looked like losing it, but never took the game by the scruff of the neck. It was a continuous comedy of errors from both teams. North went man-to-man defensively, like Port did the previous week. I’m curious to know if Lyon has a method for combatting this. It looked like most St.Kilda players barely got into third gear for the entire match, so maybe there is something to be said for this theory of that the team took its foot off the gas. Did anyone notice how very few players could get any distance on their kicks when attempting to go long? It almost seemed liked the football was waterlogged. Players were spilling easy marks, too. Maybe there was a high amount of dew on the field. But still, it was anninexcusable display of some of sloppiest footy ever seen at AFL level. Definitely amongst the worst games of footy I’ve attended (along with Good Friday, 2018 lol). If they bring any of that crap to Adelaide, we’ll be soundly thrashed.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 6:18pm That game was excruciating to watch. It was quite reminiscent to that Good Friday match against North in 2018, only we didn’t lose. The strange thing was we never looked like losing it, but never took the game by the scruff of the neck. It was a continuous comedy of errors from both teams. North went man-to-man defensively, like Port did the previous week. I’m curious to know if Lyon has a method for combatting this. It looked like most St.Kilda players barely got into third gear for the entire match, so maybe there is something to be said for this theory of that the team took its foot off the gas. Did anyone notice how very few players could get any distance on their kicks when attempting to go long? It almost seemed liked the football was waterlogged. Players were spilling easy marks, too. Maybe there was a high amount of dew on the field. But still, it was anninexcusable display of some of sloppiest footy ever seen at AFL level. Definitely amongst the worst games of footy I’ve attended (along with Good Friday, 2018 lol). If they bring any of that crap to Adelaide, we’ll be soundly thrashed.
Didn't get any better in the replay of it either. :wink:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 6:25pm
Sainternist wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 6:18pm That game was excruciating to watch. It was quite reminiscent to that Good Friday match against North in 2018, only we didn’t lose. The strange thing was we never looked like losing it, but never took the game by the scruff of the neck. It was a continuous comedy of errors from both teams. North went man-to-man defensively, like Port did the previous week. I’m curious to know if Lyon has a method for combatting this. It looked like most St.Kilda players barely got into third gear for the entire match, so maybe there is something to be said for this theory of that the team took its foot off the gas. Did anyone notice how very few players could get any distance on their kicks when attempting to go long? It almost seemed liked the football was waterlogged. Players were spilling easy marks, too. Maybe there was a high amount of dew on the field. But still, it was anninexcusable display of some of sloppiest footy ever seen at AFL level. Definitely amongst the worst games of footy I’ve attended (along with Good Friday, 2018 lol). If they bring any of that crap to Adelaide, we’ll be soundly thrashed.
Oh wow! You actually watched a replay of it! Did the commentators try to talk it up? Imagine trying to call that game. You’d feel like Bob Uecker’s Harry Doyle character in Major League lol

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 6:42pm
Oh wow! You actually watched a replay of it! Did the commentators try to talk it up? Imagine trying to call that game. You’d feel like Bob Uecker’s Harry Doyle character in Major League lol
Funny you mentioned those clowns. Yes they did. f****** terrible commentary.

I have no idea who Harry Doyle is and no intention of finding out.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

You watched the replay!!! Seeking to alleviate some insomnia?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 6:45pm

Doesn’t surprise me about yesterday’s callers. Can just imagine them trying to polish a complete turd of a match. Harry Doyle was a character in the 1989 movie Major League. Really funny movie (I even provided a short clip of a scene from it). The character was played by an actual announcer called Bob Uecker. He is very charismatic and still calls games today, although he’s winding down as he’s almost 90 years of age. Have you noticed that the AFL doesn’t really have any veteran callers these days? I find that to be a little sad.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 8:34pm

Doesn’t surprise me about yesterday’s callers. Can just imagine them trying to polish a complete turd of a match. Harry Doyle was a character in the 1989 movie Major League. Really funny movie (I even provided a short clip of a scene from it). The character was played by an actual announcer called Bob Uecker. He is very charismatic and still calls games today, although he’s winding down as he’s almost 90 years of age. Have you noticed that the AFL doesn’t really have any veteran callers these days? I find that to be a little sad.
Sorry mate, but I never open random videos posted on the internet.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 8:38pm
Sainternist wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 8:34pm

Sorry mate, but I never open random videos posted on the internet.
No worries. Check out Major League, if you ever want a good laugh. It should be available on some of the streaming services, like Netflix, Stan and all that. The team it’s about is a bit like the Saints, in terms of having a long history with very little success.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I don't think so. Perhaps some playing possum to wave away all the vultures circling the club. For a moment we were the hunted, and the more under the radar we can go the better.