Champion data on our midfield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mickey
Club Player

Champion data on our midfield

Daniel Hoyne from champion data on SEN today (keep in mind he rates Owen's and Sinclair).... he was talking about midfield players who link up to become involved in scoring opportunities. Brad Crouch (who I think has tried hard all year) was last in the competition and Steele and Ross were in the bottom 10. That's 3 players in the bottom 10 ! We all know the midfield is getting smashed but there's the data to prove it. Something for Lenny to work on.

Also regarding this week, knowing the Saints luck Oliver will be cherry ripe to go this week after having several weeks off. It seems to happen to us a lot.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Champion data on our midfield

I think he’s telling us we have 3 inside mids
None with burst from stoppage to set up scoring opportunities
None great kicks
I think we know that
I think we also know we need a Jason Horne Francis type…who was at the top end of the draft …
Our midfield is 1 paced all same type
It’s why Bytel will need to get ganes elsewhere
It’s all the same same

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 04 Jul 2023 10:22pm I think he’s telling us we have 3 inside mids
None great kicks
I think we know that
I think we also know we need a Jason Horne Francis type…who was at the top end of the draft …
It’s all the same same
We’ve got a potential Horne-Francis type in Owens, but there seems to be a reluctance to get him in there. Maybe it’s just us that he’s too valuable doing what he is doing elsewhere.

But yes, our starting our midfield - while solid - lacks flair and creativity. Clark has been missed for that reason.

Possibly the best we can do for the moment is get cameos out of Sinclair and Gresham. A fit Zac Jones might also make a difference.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Wed 05 Jul 2023 1:04am
Teflon wrote: Tue 04 Jul 2023 10:22pm I think he’s telling us we have 3 inside mids
None great kicks
I think we know that
It’s all the same same
We’ve got a potential Horne-Francis type in Owens, but there seems to be a reluctance to get him in there. Maybe it’s just us that he’s too valuable doing what he is doing elsewhere.

But yes, our starting our midfield - while solid - lacks flair and creativity. Clark has been missed for that reason.

Possibly the best we can do for the moment is get cameos out of Sinclair and Gresham. A fit Zac Jones might also make a difference.

It’s interesting
I see Owens with potential to be that bullocking mid using his strength to break through congestion and clear - very much Bont mould for mine and I’d be happy with that !
I don’t think he’s that power-speed mid who hits the pack at pace , cuts through congestion (largely off burst speed) to score/go forward (in my mind that’s JHF or even Dangerfield when he was at his best)
I’ll take either
Perfect world have both
Even Pou - I think he’ll be that smart bigger mid (goal kicker) with booming kick
He won’t be a burst player from stoppage
Jones has it - just can’t kick

“Yeah….nah””
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Wed 05 Jul 2023 1:04am
None great kicks
I think we know that
It’s all the same same

What has Horne-Bag Francis done apart from having a few good games. The hype on this guy!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Based on his performances this year, especially in recent games, would Jack Sinclair not be St Kilda's best hard running super quick midfielder on the list??

Whenever he's been switched to attend at stoppages he's been electrifying and it begs the question, why don't they build the game plan around Sinclair in that role??

He's regarded as AA this year as a halfback, but I'm wondering if switching Jack Steele into that role, or Liam Stocker, with Sinclair in the midfield, that this would give the team first use of the ball and control the clearances.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Liam Stocker does play HB

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

We clearly lack a "Jack Steven" type midfielder.
For his flaws, he was able to win the ball in a contest and run away from the pack with it. His delivery after that? Well...not so great.
Gresham plays similarly to that. He can get his hands on it in the middle and clear the pack with pace. But his delivery after that is also not that great.
Zak Jones can do that, too.

I'd love to see Owens get a crack in the middle for an extended run, too.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

We have long accepted we are a 'score from turnover' team, not a 'score from stoppages' team.

The problem is the scores against from stoppages. Not sure where we rank from that but by my eyes not good.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 05 Jul 2023 4:10pm Based on his performances this year, especially in recent games, would Jack Sinclair not be St Kilda's best hard running super quick midfielder on the list??

Whenever he's been switched to attend at stoppages he's been electrifying and it begs the question, why don't they build the game plan around Sinclair in that role??

He's regarded as AA this year as a halfback, but I'm wondering if switching Jack Steele into that role, or Liam Stocker, with Sinclair in the midfield, that this would give the team first use of the ball and control the clearances.
Think I'd prefer him in there in bursts. Not sure he is big and powerful enough to be a full-time mid. Plus he's so valuable in his usual role.

Sanctorum
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 05 Jul 2023 4:31pm Liam Stocker does play HB
I know that, as do Webster and Wanganeen Milera, sometimes Hill, I was simply suggesting Stocker could play a 'Sinclair role' from HB which could even extend to him having a run in the centre, his delivery is usually pretty good and it would mix things up a bit to make the Saints less predictable.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Sanctorum
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Wed 05 Jul 2023 10:44pm
Sanctorum wrote: Wed 05 Jul 2023 4:10pm Based on his performances this year, especially in recent games, would Jack Sinclair not be St Kilda's best hard running super quick midfielder on the list??

Think I'd prefer him in there in bursts. Not sure he is big and powerful enough to be a full-time mid. Plus he's so valuable in his usual role.
Looks like the selection panel have read my post and had the same thoughts - Sinclair named as rover in the ruck structure!!! :lol: :lol:

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 06 Jul 2023 6:33pm
I know that, as do Webster and Wanganeen Milera, sometimes Hill, I was simply suggesting Stocker could play a 'Sinclair role' from HB which could even extend to him having a run in the centre, his delivery is usually pretty good and it would mix things up a bit to make the Saints less predictable.
The only player on our list IMO to replace Sinclair at half back with the skill and disposal is Billings,
Sinclair to mid and Billings half back joining NWM.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 06 Jul 2023 6:33pm
The only player on our list IMO to replace Sinclair at half back with the skill and disposal is Billings,
Sinclair to mid and Billings half back joining NWM.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Billings is only a small forward- just ask Ross

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 07 Jul 2023 4:14pm
bigcarl wrote: Wed 05 Jul 2023 10:44pm

Looks like the selection panel have read my post and had the same thoughts - Sinclair named as rover in the ruck structure!!! :lol: :lol:
He played there last week after half time - and has done several times this season - so it doesn’t surprise me.

He has been Ross’s go-to man to spark a “spluttering” midfield - as he called it after the Eagles game.

I couldn’t agree more that it needs a spark, whether it is Sinclair, or Gresham, or Zak Jones, or Owens or Hunter Clark. There are options.

Time will tell whether it is a long-term move.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair is very strong and powerful

He is only 180cm but is well put together

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It would be very ironic if Billings replaced Sinclair at half back and Sinclair went into the midfield given the history of those two draft selections. Not the worst idea I have ever heard!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I don't think I've ever seen Billings as a defender.

I'd prefer Sinclair or Webster contesting in the air...or going for a spoil rather than Billings. Can you imagine a loose ground ball and Billings being expected to put his head over it and win the contest?

He never cemented a spot as a midfielder either. He doesn't make good decisions under pressure. He releases the footy too early and has a reputation for coughing it up.

He'll be playing either on the wing or as a forward today imo
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 08 Jul 2023 3:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Pou needs to be first reciever from in close. He can get tunnel vision for the ball which gets him possession in too tight a space.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Billings is

1- very strong in the air for his size 184cm
2- very courageous

Never seen him shirk an issue?

He’s obviously an outside player, which suits his skill set - but he’s not a cat

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Agree with # 1
Disagree with # 2

What does very courageous mean? Is he more courageous than Windy, Webster, Wood, Seb, Sinclair, Byrnes, Higgins, Gresh, Crouch, Steele, or Butler?

His strength is playing as a small forward on someone the same size and outmarking them. His set shot kicking improved in the last 4 years.

He coughs up the footy too quickly when he's confronted by a tackler or when there's congestion.

He had a habit of struggling to hit up a team mate when there was heat approaching. Used to annoy the hell out of me that he preferred to handball to green grass rather than fight through a tackle.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

We need to meld Billings in the air and by foot, with Higgins ground level, nouse, and speed.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Billings is very courageous

Never seen him shirk - in the air or at ground level

Don’t confuse outside player with soft player - he is not a power midfielder- he is a flanker

Is Nasaiah W M a tough player, Brad Hill.

Players play differently- doesn’t make one any more courageous than another

To play successfully at that level - courage is a given

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Hill is a good example of an outside player with courage.

It's been so long since I've seen Billings play, that I can't recall if he has it.