Captain Jack

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Captain Jack

Had a good game yesterday and was decent against the Tigers .... could it be that he is maybe finding some form just in time for Finals :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Captain Jack

Devilhead wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 8:51pm Had a good game yesterday and was decent against the Tigers .... could it be that he is maybe finding some form just in time for Finals :twisted:
Yep, he gave that wanker from Girlong via the Crowlice, a bath.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It was a captain's game in every sense. There were questions asked and threads started regarding his leadership and he answered his critics.

He not only kept Danger quiet but he had a huge impact on our dominance in the second half. His urgency and tackling and decision making were superb. His disposal efficiency also improved dramatically in the second half.

Geelong were still in the game up until late in the last quarter. We left that door ajar and kept inviting them to catch us.

Jack was involved in a couple of plays including a crucial intercept mark just seconds before Gresh kicked it to Marshall and RoMa sealed the Cats fate for the season.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair??? Just kidding. Although.........

We are playing finals baby!!!!!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The team is currently so used to having Jack tagging the oppo's best mids they forget to pass it to him when he's free and in space. I suppose the instruction is get it to Hill, NWM and Sincs - and that's fair enough, but I thought Steele ran his guts out and the lead wasn't rewarded a couple of times.

Our inside mids are not effective at winning clearances at the moment. They seem to be hunting their opponents instead of hunting the pill

Both Steele and Crouch are asked to harrass and play as defensive mids. Both are tackling machines but one of them should be used more as a creative ball hunter.

Crouch got 26 touches at 61 % disposal efficiency. Steele got 19 touches at 84 % disposal efficiency.

That's an equal 16 effective disposals each for the team. We need a bit more if these guys are selected to attend the bulk of all our stoppages, or we need to adjust their roles.

In 2021 and early in 2022 Jack was regularly getting 30+ possessions and creating more scoring opportunities than anyone else. He also got 40 touches late in Round 19 2022 when he got back to his old form after suffering a long lay off mid year with an AC joint.

I think we waste Jack Steele's talent by asking him to play as a stopper every game.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I'm really hoping Ross is fit for the finals so that perhaps Steele and Crouch will get more opportunities to attack with ball in hand.

Over the past few months, Crouch has been developing into something of a secret weapon, especially inside our forward 50. I would think that Lenny and Harves should get some of the credit for the improvement in his game.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
wally
Club Player

It would be nice to have 3 attacking guns in at stoppages with the opposition chasing our blokes but it isn't so.
The Crouch, Ross ,Steele combo may look too much alike and slow but if 2 block hopefully releasing the other.
There was another thread listing our clearance winners including Pou &Roma so i guess the others at the time are being defensive.
A fully fit Steele would be good just as I think Wood is not as good since his injury