Bassat has a lot to answer for

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cordz2
Club Player

Bassat has a lot to answer for

After a year of exploration, we have no chance to make the finals in year two in fact we are a likely to finish bottom three.
He tried to make a power move and a coup most of us hated to start with. We ran along with it to see what happens as the early results were good as they often are with a new coach no matter who. 18 months on, and all the issues we knew about Ross Lyon are coming to fruition. We have assistant coaches in place based on romanticism and the fact that Ross has coached them before and can control them. Aside from Enright. We are fabulous to watch then we ever were under Richo, Ratten or any of the past coaches since Lyon. If you asked us (most Saints supporters) two years ago where this would have ended up it’s probably about where we are right now. Bassett tried to swoop on something clever, but we didn’t need it. After re signing Ratten for two more years, we probably just notice some better assistants and decent drafting and a decent plan. Since Ross has been there, we’ve lost a host of Key staff and figures a decent job in their roles.
Coaching all about communication. It Doesn’t necessarily improve with age. Listening to Rosses pressers, I’m confused as he doesn’t make an offer a lot of sense. he rambles even after a win. Idea kids from 18 to 30 could somehow decipher his very complicated very dower late 2000s game plan. He’s great at spin he was good with the press. He’s now just sounds like a calmer version of Mick Malthouse when he was at Carlton.
Bassat wanted it all quickly and now with everyone powerful that he was the future of the club. Looks to me he was confusing the future with the past.
If Anyone is responsible for the setup and structures and drop in attendance etc. That we currently sit with? It’s the president. I think it’s time for him to step aside and find someone with a little less St Kilda romanticism at the helm.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bassat has a lot to answer for

We all agreed that Richo had a decent go after 5 years and he wasn't going to take us far.

Instead of biting the bullet after a disastrous 2018/19 and hitting the draft, Lethlean and Bassatt along with Finnis and the board decided to go down the money ball route and that provided the sugar hit in 2020.

Ratten did a great job and proved he could coach

We are doing now what should have been done 5 years ago. I really don't understand why we needed Ross Lyon to implement a rebuild. What we needed was competent footy development staff and support around Ratten

I thought with the appointment of Geoff Walsh that we identified our deficiencies in the football department. I was also excited that Lenny Hayes agreed to come on board and work alongside Ratten.

I was dead against sacking Ratts. I really didn't care 'who' they chose to replace him.

The fact that it was Lyon concerned me because I felt we weren't really ready to challenge. I was a bit confused. I'm sure many fans felt the same because we didn't see Lyon as a development coach. Anyhow...I was happy that the club decided to use the National Draft and NOT try and go down the path of recycled players or mature recruits

Lenny came to St Kilda and committed to the role of assistant coach...then changed his mind only 1 year after that commitment. That has never been fully discussed. How long was his initial contract?

Anyway...in spite of everything (off field and on field) I do not want upheaval at our club. I want Bassatt and his board to work with Ross Lyon and Ross to work with his coaches ...and his players and give our club a chance.

I also don't want Bassatt departing. He has to see this through. Do your fkn jobs! And for employees like Ross Lyon who get huge salaries....Earn your fkn keep!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yep, Bassat and Lyon should stay the 4 years and see this out. St Kilda are the worst at sackings. For once in their lives that should stick to the plan.
Last edited by magnifisaint on Mon 27 May 2024 8:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SteeleSaints
Club Player

Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water. Surely everyone knew our list was shocking after years of incompetent list management. Last year we over acheived because Lyon is a very good coach, and this season has been a reality check to where we really are.

What Lyon has miscalculated this year is he pushed the list too hard over the preseason which resulted in a ridiuclous injury toll. As a result our season never got going and now we are paying the price.

Lyon himself said the list needed a lot of work and this years drop off has proven that. Lyon also hasnt done himself any favours with the style of footy he has them playing, but now is the time to stick fat. Hope we draft and trade well at seasons end and keep developing the young talent we have.

Keep the faith Sainters!

SteeleSaints
Club Player

Sorry for some reason the above duplicated.
Last edited by SteeleSaints on Mon 27 May 2024 4:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Lyon can't simultaneously be a great coach and a poor one at the same time.

My read is that Lyon is good but his assistants are poor.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

RTB has the runs on the board. Second most successful Saints coach. Most successful ever Freo coach. To ignore these indisputable facts is crazy.

You can argue that he hasn't got the same spark this time around or the same intimidation factor. I certainly think the players should be performing better than they are. The lack of intensity is very un-Lyon-like.

But I'm more inclined to think that we're getting a true picture of the squad's imitations after years off flawed recruiting and poor development. The fact that ve're currently subsidising Billings to run around in the Melbourne reserves is a good example of our penchant for overrating and overpaying our own players, to everyone's detriment.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think Bassat thought his job was done once he appointed Ross and handed him the keys.

I hope he realises the work has just begun.

I'm not ready to jump off the Lyon/Bassat train just yet but need to start to see some adjustment.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I think we need to calm down.

We all know our midfield is second rate at best, and this is primarily the fault of Tony Elshaug, not Ross Lyon

This club has not drafted a single A grade midfielder in 15 years.

Lyon is acutely aware of the impotence of our midfield. He has been dealt the additional blow of having Clark, Crouch, and Dow basically missing for first 9 games and Steele playing injured since round 6. On top of that, Seb Ross has been underwhelming to say the least. Clark and Crouch are still building fitness at VFL level. We have not had our best midfield in for the whole season to date.

Because of all this, he's had to take Sinclair from half back, a position he dominates and sets up a lot of our plays. We lose a lot in order to shore up the midfield and it's hurting us. Bonner is half the player Sinclair is, so ultimately it's a net loss.

All this has a flow on effect

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

In the end, it may be a blessing. We will not get better until we secure some high end midfield talent. The best way to do that is to get a pick in the top 5 in the draft and hopefully grab a free agent.

Without that, we will continue to be on the back foot in games. If you can't at least break even at the stoppages, you're expending a lot of time defending and chasing down opponents. Negativity creeps in and at some point the dam wall breaks. You swim against the tide for only so long

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Where would you all feel if the seasons were reversed?

If last year we finished bottom 4 (as expected) and this year were in the top 4 at the bye.

I'd be a hell of a lot more comfortable with that.

Going backwards this year has hurt, a lot.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Oh well, another down and out year at Losersville.

There's always next year.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 7:54pm Oh well, another down and out year at Losersville.

I'm running out of "next years".

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 7:57pm
bobmurray wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 7:54pm Oh well, another down and out year at Losersville.

I'm running out of "next years".
So am i :D

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 6:04pm In the end, it may be a blessing. We will not get better until we secure some high end midfield talent. The best way to do that is to get a pick in the top 5 in the draft and hopefully grab a free agent.

Without that, we will continue to be on the back foot in games. If you can't at least break even at the stoppages, you're expending a lot of time defending and chasing down opponents. Negativity creeps in and at some point the dam wall breaks. You swim against the tide for only so long
I agree I also think we were flattered by a soft fixture last year - see Bombers this year ….now apparently they’re all of a sudden a great side??? Top 4??? Who honestly believes that?
That’s how I felt about us last year
Facts are we gotta go back to go forward
We’ve been in no man’s land on the ladder for a decade
Our reward?? Mediocre draft picks whilst northern clubs are hand fed
I DO NOT want to finish 10–12 this season I do t care
I want as many games into kids
I want to draft really well
I want offload some so called “senior talent” and double down on as many top 10 picks that can yield
It might mean some short term pain..so be it
No more of this false dawn shyte
When we challenge I want us to be up for multiple years not 1
Go hard Ross…
It’s why I suspect so many have been left unsigned at end this season…..

“Yeah….nah””
Saints58
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 5:57pm I think we need to calm down.

We all know our midfield is second rate at best, and this is primarily the fault of Tony Elshaug, not Ross Lyon

This club has not drafted a single A grade midfielder in 15 years.

Lyon is acutely aware of the impotence of our midfield. He has been dealt the additional blow of having Clark, Crouch, and Dow basically missing for first 9 games and Steele playing injured since round 6. On top of that, Seb Ross has been underwhelming to say the least. Clark and Crouch are still building fitness at VFL level. We have not had our best midfield in for the whole season to date.

Because of all this, he's had to take Sinclair from half back, a position he dominates and sets up a lot of our plays. We lose a lot in order to shore up the midfield and it's hurting us. Bonner is half the player Sinclair is, so ultimately it's a net loss.

All this has a flow on effect

Do we try a few things out of the box like play Naz in the midfield with Sinclair put windhager back in Naz spot also play Bonnar as a HF sometimes as a mid with his kicking he would be dangerous.

Maybe try Pho in the HBF in replace of Bonnar at least he could get his hands on the ball and it would give him some confidence always in the play plus his decision making is good.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Snap decisions to throw magnets around doesn't help build a team. Each week we should try one thing and assess it. Stick with that change for a few weeks. Change too many things at once and you don't know which one actually made the impact.

It's the same with 'playing the kids'. You can't play too many in the same part of the ground in the same team. Need to spread that over the field amongst seasoned players. If I were the collingwood coach i'd start talking about spreading vegemite on toast.