Robbing Peter to pay Paul?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Robbing Peter to pay Paul?

I think it’s time to put Sinclair back to where he plays his best football for the team, off half back. Let him have the cameo runs into the centre when needed, I think that’s more an effective use of his skills.

In all the interviews I’ve seen, when asked where he prefers playing, he seems to allude to hb. He says he likes to see the play before him and allows him to be more attacking.

I feel he helped the structure of the back line, was able to quickly fill a hole when Wilke went off his opponent to intercept mark. Also with Sinclair not there across hb more work is being put into GW-M. I think Bonner, is a poor substitute for the drive we got from Sincs coming off hb & setting up play.

I’ve noticed in many Centre contests a lot of off the ball blocking work is put on Sinclair a few of times he was sat on his backside. We don’t want him to get too banged up.
Once we get Crouch back in & with Dow becoming fitter & jelling with the players I think we should use Sincs in the manner he was used the past few years.
Anyone agree?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Robbing Peter to pay Paul?

I agree to a certain extent - but in robbing Peter (the back six) we lose say 5% of the total impact - but add about 20% to Paul (the midfield).
It is like taking $1,000 from a Millionaire and paying it to CentreLink Recipient - the gain more than outweighs the loss

Sincs gives us run through the midfield and (usually) fairly good service to HF and i50.

However, if we used our midfield stock better, or recruited better, I would much rather Sincs back to where he was AA.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
shrodes
SS Life Member

Sinclair centre bounce appearance rates

R11 Dees - 93% (!!!)
R10 Freo - 24%
R9 Hawks - 68%
R8 Kangas - 72%
R7 Port - 27%
R6 Bulldogs - 24%
R5 GWS - 11%
R4 Richmond - 0%
R3 Essendon - 9%
R2 Pies - 0%
R1 Cats - DNP

His 2023 average attendance 28.3%.

I wonder if he will still be at centre bounce so often once Crouch and/or Clark are back in the side, and Dow building to more minutes. Suspect not.

With Dow and Pou back in last week his rates definitely dropped off but back way up this week with Pou back out of the side (though that is also with Ross back in which scuttles my hypothesis a bit)

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Good post. Couldn't agree more.

Sinclair to half back, Bonner out

Crouch and Clark in to play midfield

takeaway
Club Player

loris wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 2:23pm I think it’s time to put Sinclair back to where he plays his best football for the team, off half back. Let him have the cameo runs into the centre when needed, I think that’s more an effective use of his skills.

In all the interviews I’ve seen, when asked where he prefers playing, he seems to allude to hb. He says he likes to see the play before him and allows him to be more attacking.

I feel he helped the structure of the back line, was able to quickly fill a hole when Wilke went off his opponent to intercept mark. Also with Sinclair not there across hb more work is being put into GW-M. I think Bonner, is a poor substitute for the drive we got from Sincs coming off hb & setting up play.

I’ve noticed in many Centre contests a lot of off the ball blocking work is put on Sinclair a few of times he was sat on his backside. We don’t want him to get too banged up.
Once we get Crouch back in & with Dow becoming fitter & jelling with the players I think we should use Sincs in the manner he was used the past few years.
Anyone agree?
Totally agree. I have been saying this for some time. Good in midfield, but AA at half back, play him where he plays his best footy and does the most for the team.

Wins are now not as important, churn through a few in the midfield, might get some good insights. Henry was ok in there, probably best in bursts, even Battle did a bit the game before. Crouch/Clark will help. I'd give Hastie a go. Stocker?

sks023
Club Player

loris wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 2:23pm I think it’s time to put Sinclair back to where he plays his best football for the team, off half back. Let him have the cameo runs into the centre when needed, I think that’s more an effective use of his skills.

Anyone agree?
100% , that's where he enjoys his footy
We look our best when his down back alongside Wangers. Ratten knew it , but Lyon.... well who knows

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

We have enough emerging HBF's to release Sincs to the midfield. If not for the current side, then for our future side.

Today's HBF is tomorrow's midfielder. If there's a steady stream of players through that role on the way to a permanent midfield role we will improve over time.

takeaway
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 6:06pm We have enough emerging HBF's to release Sincs to the midfield. If not for the current side, then for our future side.

Today's HBF is tomorrow's midfielder. If there's a steady stream of players through that role on the way to a permanent midfield role we will improve over time.
Sinclair much more effective for the team at HB. Enough emerging HBF's? NWM has emerged, who else?

sks023
Club Player

I don't think he's a midfielders arsehole

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
Killa
Club Player

Agree entirely

These days there is a hell of a lot of scragging and blocking around the contest, so what we need is someone (or more( who can crash and bang, get the ball and feed it forward to the advantage of our runners

The only player doing this is Marshall, and when he getting hands on the ball is negated we see what we saw yesterday

No one else stands up and the opposition run forward of the ball with confidence and no defensive obligation (witness the build up to a goal by their Number 5, running forward expecting to be fed which he was

Sinclair does not have the physical presence to cop the battering hence is ineffective

Perhaps Crouch and Clark can fill the hole allowing Sinclair to return to where he plays his best football

Clark is actually quite adept at getting the scrubber kick of either foot or the handball to get the ball going in the right direction

And Crouch we know

It is where Phillipou is being educated because of his quick hands - but he needs the physical presence which will come

Then we get to our forwards where Caminiti is a prospect only

Killa
Club Player

And I thought Melbourne just owned us with their physicality - and there was no response by us

No one stood up challenging their arrogance

No one said “cop this”

Instead we had them appealing for free kicks because one of our players hit their hip with his head

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I concur

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 6:25pm
Otiman wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 6:06pm We have enough emerging HBF's to release Sincs to the midfield. If not for the current side, then for our future side.

Sinclair much more effective for the team at HB. Enough emerging HBF's? NWM has emerged, who else?
Could play Hastie in there, Mclennan, O'connell, even Shoenmaker could play that role. If Pou needs a space to dominate from, he could play there too.

takeaway
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 7:36pm
takeaway wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 6:25pm

Could play Hastie in there, Mclennan, O'connell, even Shoenmaker could play that role. If Pou needs a space to dominate from, he could play there too.
They are at best possibles, a long way from emerging. Even if one of them starts to show promise, Saints would lose substantially with Sinclair from there into midfield. He is simply not as effective, more confined and not as creative as from HB.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

We are clearly not here to win games, we are trying to develop a premiership side.

Sincs in the middle and rotate juniors through half back is a better option than leaving him back there.

Killa
Club Player

The other observation I have is that tackles are not rewarded - so you can just hold onto the ball in a tackle choosing when you want to dispose of it

We just do not have the bull who sees ball, gets ball including bruising the opposition in the process, standing upright in the tackle they invite and eventually getting rid of it to advantage

Instead our mids with the body size are those doing the tackling, tackling which is not rewarded

We need players who go in full bore and get their hands on the ball

And that is not our runners such as Sinclair, Hill or Henry

They need to be fed

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

That's why it's unforgivable that Clark was asked to play 4 games straight at VFL level. He comes in to support Dow, Steele and Sebby.

Sincs plays 50/50 as a mid and off HBF. Drop or manage one of Hill or Bonner.

Leave Caminiti in the team. King, Caminiti and Sharman need to work together. It will work but they need time.

Forget about Membrey (although I was never in the camp that said he was done). Play Cooper Sharman for a stretch of 4 weeks starting with the game at Optus Stadium.

Owens moves out of the forward line and we try him as a pure mid. He is there to see what the chemistry will be with Windy, Henry, Dow, Sincs, Steele etc..

And...when do we rest Wilson. Should he be rested for an interstate trip? Same with Rowan Marshall... Could he use a week without getting bashed and crashed into? Does he need to freshen up?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Caminiti needs to practise his kicking. It needs a lot of work. He can't kick a goal unless he's in the goal square and straight in front. No point playing in the forward line if you can't kick a goal with the 2 chances you get. Useless in the ruck so what's his worth?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!