Andrew Johns on drugs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Andrew Johns on drugs

The greatest ever rugby league player has admitted he has taken recreational drugs for the last 10 years. He has said it on the NRL footy show tonight. Will be on our show next. So it is a society problem not an AFL or NRL problem. How can it be stopped or at least made harder to take. Who knows. Any answers out there.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

andrew who?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:andrew who?
the greatest Rugby league plaer ever. Footballs Wayne Carey.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

That's being very generous to Wayne Carey.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
also said he got tested 3 /4 times a year for 10 years....frightened he might go positive but never did......and never caught......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
also said he got tested 3 /4 times a year for 10 years....frightened he might go positive but never did......and never caught......
so it proves it is impossible to stop if a player is stupid enough to use. No policy will catch people if they are lucky enough.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
so it proves it is impossible to stop if a player is stupid enough to use. No policy will catch people if they are lucky enough.
...well he did say that he mainly used in the off session...arl players aren't tested for illicit drugs out of season......but he did use irregularly during the season....and was always hanging out for his next fix...even during big games...was always in the back of his mind....obviously is a bit bi-polar......

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Quick, get the popo down to the studios of TCN-9 to arrest him in the green room

Then take him round to the Charles Street lockup and interrogate the fukker until he gives up the name of his supplier

We don't care about you, Joey. You're small-time. We want Mr Big.

Give us a name, dammit! This drugs scourge must end now!

THINK OF THE CHILDREN, WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

this would be the equivilent of Hirdy coming out and saying he's been on the drugs fro 10 years

NRL will be shattered

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote:this would be the equivilent of Hirdy coming out and saying he's been on the drugs fro 10 years

NRL will be shattered
When 95% of the playing stocks are known as bull-necked gang rapists, being a little druggie don't look so bad 8-)

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

just saw the full interview on the footy show (NRL) and the bloke looked like he was gonna throw up or pass out in his seat

appears to be doing it tough, tho he's brought it all upon himself, and probably deserves it

i also think that it highlighted the fact that most of us are probably ignorant to the fact that its pretty much guarenteed that players at st.kilda would be doing the same thing

very gutsy thing to do, coming on infront of millions of people and admiting what he did, unlike a certain gutless AFL player......

Ben Cousins take note

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
mischa
Club Player

Dale Lewis was right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:Dale Lewis was right.
Why because a rugby league player took drugs means that 75% of AFL players take drugs. Dont see the link.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mischa wrote:Dale Lewis was right.
Why because a rugby league player took drugs means that 75% of AFL players take drugs. Dont see the link.
Plugger66, I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong, but I've got a feeling that your unswerving faith in the players is going to be shattered when (not if) the lid gets blown off their use of drugs.

I think that in the end there is going to be a debate as to what the performing enhancement powers these illicit drugs provide players, because we are going to hear that the numbers having tried and using on a regular/semi regular basis are a large percentage of the total plying group.

When I heard Dale Lewis' now infamous comments I too thought 'this guy's a wanker looking for publicity'. Once again hindsight is starting to show he maybe wasn't so far from the mark.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Wow so he popped a disco bickie occassionally.

So F**ken what :roll: :roll:

You lot go on like it is the end of the world. :roll:

More prescription junkies and alcho's by a mile compared to illicit drug use.

Who cares? Taken in moderation, so what?

How many people die of cigarette related diseases a year compared to illicit drugs?

And if you become a junkie. Nobody to blame but yourself. If you are in that much psychological pain, go and get some help FFS. :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Wow so he popped a disco bickie occassionally.

So F**ken what :roll: :roll:

You lot go on like it is the end of the world. :roll:

More prescription junkies and alcho's by a mile compared to illicit drug use.

Who cares? Taken in moderation, so what?

if you don"t know , i haven't the time ...........or the inclination to tell you jb......

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

If that is how good he was on drugs i would hate to see how good he would have been clean. The guy is an absolute freak.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

My problem with it is the potential message it sends to an army of young aspiring sportsmen

"I can take drugs in the off-season, dabble during the season and still be the best player in the world at my sport. Oh and theres bugger-all chance that Ill gert busted by random tests.

LOL at "Disco-bickie" JB. Might have been discos and bickies in your and my day..but more likely to be "Clubbing Codrals" now ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The Andrew Johns story goes a fair bit deeper than just popping the odd "disco bickie" JB.

When I used to work in PR, there was an old idea that when you are up to your armpits in bad stuff, make a teary public confession about the aspect of it that is most likely to gain you some public sympathy as an "innocent victim".

Unfortunately, I think that the ecstasy use is just the tip of an incredibly unattractive iceberg.

We got a momentary glimpse of the rest of the iceberg last year.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/lea ... 19189.html

God only knows what else there is to come out.

Damn shame, because he was an extraordinary player: rugby league was almost worth watching when he was on song.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:My problem with it is the potential message it sends to an army of young aspiring sportsmen

"I can take drugs in the off-season, dabble during the season and still be the best player in the world at my sport. Oh and theres bugger-all chance that Ill gert busted by random tests.

LOL at "Disco-bickie" JB. Might have been discos and bickies in your and my day..but more likely to be "Clubbing Codrals" now ;-)
Saint66au
Don't you know, they're not 'role models' so there is no problem.

Oh and BTW, whilst the sporting world accepts that illicit drugs are 'performance enhancing' on match day (you get 12 months or 2 years if you test positive on match day), they are not considered performance enhancing whilst 'out of season'. So if you are stupid enough to get caught on match day for using 'ice' you get banned , but if you get caught out of season you get '3 strikes'?
Am I missing something here?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
saint66au wrote:My problem with it is the potential message it sends to an army of young aspiring sportsmen

Saint66au

Oh and BTW, whilst the sporting world accepts that illicit drugs are 'performance enhancing' on match day (you get 12 months or 2 years if you test positive on match day), they are not considered performance enhancing whilst 'out of season'. So if you are stupid enough to get caught on match day for using 'ice' you get banned , but if you get caught out of season you get '3 strikes'?
One of the reasons for that is that it can be a masking agent for performance enhancing drugs. Can I ask you if recreational drugs were performance enhancing why dont WADA test for them out of competition.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
if you don"t know , i haven't the time ...........or the inclination to tell you jb......
stinger. Illicit drugs are bad, we all know that. There is no way to control dosage, and the chemicals that are used in its production.

People who use illicit drugs do so for a plethora of reasons. Some for psychological or emotional reason, some, as Andrew Johns has put forward due to pressure of celebrity.

Others, such as in my daughters age group, it is a risk factor, and peer pressure.

I wont go on with my pop psych 101 but believe me, i know about drug culture, I experienced it first hand as a young man, and I have seen the consequences (I have seen the needle and the damage done - apologies to Neil Young).

I just get sick of this knee jerk reaction because a bloke got caught with an ekkie when we have rampant prescription addiction, thousands dying of cigarette addiction every year, and alochol, one of the worst health and social wreckers in our society is lauded as something to aspire to and celebrate.

The "Just say NO" campaign and big stick "War on Drugs" has failed miserably.

Education, rehabilitation, empathy and compassion is what is required, not railing against the user, not ranting about how bad illicit drugs are. It seems out of touch with the reality of what is happening.

Yeah I know, Joey Johns is supposed to be a role model for the young. Supposed to be a hero.

But doesn't this show that hero's are human?

Doesn't it show that this societies "cult of celebrity" put pressures on people who after all are flesh and blood?

Oh and someone on here posted Johns had been on drugs for 10 years. This is the type of irresponsible hyperbole that I am talking about.

He has taken some drugs occassionally over a ten year period. Incredibly how hardly anything is said about him having an alochol problem (because that is state sanctioned drugs and addicition) but there is a furore about him taking the occasional recreation drug. :roll:

Young people see this hypocricy for what it is, and rebel against it. I saw it as a kid, and my kids see it in society (not from me as I talk to them about illicit drugs and I rarely drink alcohol. There is no drug or drinking culture in my household, but there is a huge drinking culture in my wifes Irish/Cathiolic family. I am a great dissapointment to the menfolk because i wont drink to excess at family functions).

We need to discuss the issue, rationally. We need to educate, not the after effects of drugs, but what kids are putting into their body (as mentioned re dosages and chemicals above). We need to legalise drugs and get them under govt control so as to get the criminal element out of the industry and regulate dosages. We need safe clean and supervised injecting rooms and more resources to fund the ever increasing problem with meth amphetimines.

We need to use some of the 13 billion surplus to completely overhaul the attitude to illicit drugs and help our society overcome the issue.

This will not happen becuae we will get politicians accusing others as being "soft on drugs". Of course this is BS but politicians are to weak to do anything about it, so they encourage this ranting and hypobole towards illicit drugs and pretend that it actually does something.

It hasn't worked for 40 years.

Railing against illicit drugs

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Saint66au

One of the reasons for that is that it can be a masking agent for performance enhancing drugs. Can I ask you if recreational drugs were performance enhancing why dont WADA test for them out of competition.
I don't know why WADA don't test for them out of competition.
But if they are recognized as a 'masking agent' in competiotion surely they must be recognized as a 'masking agent' out of competition?

Sam23
SS Life Member

I reckon he popped an E before he took he interview.

Licking lips, jaw moving, grinding teeth.

I'm 95% sure he took one before the interview.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:LOL at "Disco-bickie" JB. Might have been discos and bickies in your and my day..but more likely to be "Clubbing Codrals" now ;-)
Hey dont blame me. I get all my hip lingo from my 20 something nieces and teenage daughters :wink:

Lance or James??