Our 2007 list..and some thoughts on each player

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Our 2007 list..and some thoughts on each player

Allen, Jarryd
Injury held him back in 2007, but as a young tall in his first years was unlikely to have played much anyway. The glimpses he showed he looked good. Look for him to start to emerge in 2008. Can he be groomed as a future FB??? The requirement for athleticism may well see him move past watts as the 3rd tall up forward long term.

Armitage, David
Fitness, Fitness, Fitness. Needs to spend the summer running. He has the raw talent, but needs to greatly improve his stamina. If he does he should get a number of games in 2008.

Attard, Jayden (R)
Had a good first year with us. Is a very good stopper. Just needs to settle and win a bit more ball. Should become a good steady player for us. May not make the “best 22’, but if not should be handy.

Baker, Steven
Bakes hasa HUGE target on him now….and playing with this is going to bea huge mental demon for him in 2008. bakes is a great clubman though ad I am sure that he will overcome this latest hurdle.

Ball, Luke
Luke is onlya shadow of what he can be…and his future would seem to rest in the hands ofa surgeon and whether the operation can restore Lukes body back to near what it needs to be.

If he can Ball will once gain become our inside tough nut and engine room. If not…then sadly Luke will be limited to be a steady GOP….and unfortunately against the best of teams you need more than that in your midfield.

Birss, Shane

Started the year interrupted by injury.

Late in the year at full fitness he proved to be handy run with stopper that can gain useful possessions. Needs to tighten up on his disposal….but should be good value in our midfield in 2008, not as a star no…but yes but as a good quality bottom six player

Blake, Jason
Blake probably had his best year ever under Roos.

Ross used him very well having the knack of finding the right match ups for him. sometimes creative ones such as when he played on and beat Crawford and played one of his best games ever for the club. He only played him in the ruck when he had a suitable opponent.

Some games you are left think yes…he can be a good steady bottom 6 player for us…but in other games he will have some horrific brain fades and poor use of the ball. Blake will be our baromter in 2008…if our list improves such that he is squeezed out we will have very good year. If he plays most games then we will be in the lower part of the 8.

Then again Blake may lift and remove his brain fades and poor disposal and become a genuine bottom sixer rather thana fringe player.

Brooks, Barry
Lots of talent. But simply does not apply himself.

His attitude to me was summed up in one senior game when the ball was kicked wide…and Brooks just assumed it would go out and even though he was easily closest to it he stopped running….only to see the ball bounce backwards to stay in ….with the opposition then running in to snag the ball that Brooks should have had.

Brooks does the minimum…..

Will Ross give him one more year to pull his finger out??? Brooks raw talent may save him…but I think RL greatly values attitude…and so Brooks may well be gone

Clarke, Matthew
Retired.
Became the scapegoat for many…which is to me is harsh for someone who was taken in the PSD asa back up ruckman. The Crows delisted him because he was past his best…so very harsh to expect him to have been more thana handy back up.

Still Kosi has said that Clarke has taught hima lot ruckwise.

Clarke, Raphael
Basically had no pre-season…and most of the season could not play.

Was castigated for not being brilliant from his first game back…which was unreaslistic.
Early on he had no player awreness…but steadily improved.

Lets give him a full pre-season for a change and see what he can do in 2008.
Needs to improve his disposal and awreness of his opponent.

Clarke, Xavier
Finally is getting fit.

If there is one area I want him to improve in it is his shots on goal.

I have NO DOUBT that X has the capability to be an awesome HF/FP for us……will apply great pressure and run downs of opponents….BUT he needs to snag the goals. He is currently wasteful.

Strangely some of his footpasses were stunning….but in front of goal he froze.

Dal Santo, Nick
Could be one of the competitions best. At times he is sublime. The main thing Dal needs to do is to improve his CONSISTENCY and perform closer to his best more often.

He has all the tools…he just needs to do it more often.

IF Ball can get fit again I think it will greatly assist Dal.

Eddy, Robert (R)
From reports got better as the year went on and is a good chance to be retained.

Ferguson, Matthew
Plays good VFL footy, but when elevated in his last two games did not impress. would be on the cusp of being retained or not.

Fiora, Aaron
Was one of the pleasant surprises of 2008. Improved markedly winninga lot more ball. About his only blemish was that he was wasteful in his shots on goal and should have converted more of his oppourtunities.
His pace and run were valuable…and late in the year was also used inside to win clearances.

I think THIS pre-season will be the first for many many years where Fiora will go into KNOWING that he is a valuable part of the team. haunted by the demon of lack of self-belief I think that Fiora will bloom further in 2008. I fully expect at least one game where he will snag 3+ goals.

Fisher, Leigh
Leigh went sideways in 2008. He did however do ok when used in a new role as a run with tagger in the midfield. I think Leigh will benefit greater from an increased emphasis on aerobic fitness over summer and this will make him more suited to having some time in our midfield rotations.

Fisher, Sam
Another very good year. However late in the year he at times was sloppy with his disposal into our forward line.
Sam filed in ok at FB…but again showed if his opponent has a quick lead that he cannot play FB.

Gardiner, Michael S.
Injury wiped his year out.

I would love to know the exact medical prognosis on his feet. Is it that that they MAY be ok…or that they SHOLD be ok.

While some do not seem to valuea GOOD ruckman…I very much do ad believe that a fit and firing gardiner will makea significant positive impact for us. a side benefit is that it would also free up Kois to play asa key forward….with only time asa relief ruck to give Gardiner a spell.

Geary, Jarryn (R)

Got better as the year went on…..and shows great promise to push for senior selection.

Hopefully he can continue to step up to become apart of our midfield…..with some senior games in 2008

Gehrig, Fraser
Retired.

Thanks for the memories big fella. I will miss you.
An awesome player who we will miss.

Gilbert, Sam
Was our highlight player of 2007 in terms of improvement….and Gilbert just shouts that he will be something special for us.

Love his run and dashand this boy can TACKLE…BUT he needs to really improve his kicking on the run. He came late to footy and so should be able to improve his footskills markedly.

When he fills out in a year or two he could settle into key postion. would make a great running CHB….but then again he is about our only key defender apart from max who has the pace to play FB (I don’t know how quick

Some have said givea hima run in the midfield as well, and yes he could have cameos here….but I think his future is asa key defender…perhaps asa swingman who is thrown forward at times.

Goddard, Brendon
QUALITY

Will no doubt start 2008 slowly, but in 2007 the year of poor footskills we greatly missed BJ.

I also expect BJ to become our main player to kick in. The constant 20/30 m kick ins this year were not attacking enough anda boot such as BJ’s will allow us to attack better from kick ins.

Gram, Jason
Gram after a stellar 2007…had onlya so so year in 2007. At times was very good and at other times was struggling.

I personally believe he had a lot of fitness issues I 2007 both preseason and in the main season and this hampered him and so expect him to have much better 2008. His pace, run and long kicking are all very valuable for us.

Gram as a defender needs to improve his defensive spoiling skills.

However Gram in 2008 may be given a midfield role as simply put we need to expand our midfield group and currently are lacking in options.

Gwilt, James
??????

Filled in better than expected when we had no key defenders and he was called up…but make no mistake he is not good enough for this role.

Is a maybe to be retained…along with others such as Ferguson.

Hamill, Aaron
??????????????????????

What is the status of his knee????

We would all love him to come back as he is quality player when up and running. But will he?

If he plays at all….I will treat it as a bonus.

Harvey, Robert (V)
Remains a quality player. Time is marching on, but reamins capable of good SMART football.

Isa master of passes to forwards. roo in the Tigers game got sloppy pases all day…and then some peralers from harves who knows exactly wehen to pass and where too.

Had a few ordinary games…but GEEZE MOST of his team mates had a lot more ordinary games than Harves.

Will remain useful in 2008 if he plays one because he is such a smart player. NEEDS some extra players in the midfield around him though. Harvey should bea SUPPORt mid in 2008 rather than like in 2007 where he was effectively playing asa main mid.

Hayes, Lenny
The boy is back in town.

His last few games showed he was back to his best post knew op.

I expect a good year from him in 2008. Lenny is our midfield general….and despite who may have the title Lenny is our CAPTAIN…when he is up and firing and marshalling the troops we area much better team.

Howard, Brad
??????????

As asecond round pick the consensus seems to be that we paid too higha draft price for him.

Is certainly quick…but seems to lack footy awreness and presence…and is physically slight.

However his last few games gave some very positive signs.

Big ???? remain however.

Hudghton, Max (V)
Quality..

Is our ONLY current true option for FB. Sam and Maguire simply do not have the initial burst of pace to play on quick leading full forwards.

In addition Max is a master of the spoil with his famous closing speed.

Soft tissue injuries restricted him in 2007….so lets hope the new AIS boffins can make a big difference hear.

Good teams by and large have very good full backs….and Max is our only true option for 2008. Gilbert or Allen may take over eventually…but they will not be ready in 2008. We cannot afford for him not to be fit.
Jones, Clinton (R)
Playa poor game….and then a very good one….but then did his collarbone.

On resumption he struggled.

Whether he will be retained or not will largely depend on how much weight Ross pays to his pre-broken collarbone game.
If retained obviously needs a lot of work on his footskills.
Koschitzke, Justin
Kosi is just starting to motor along nicely…..apart from fitness I think it was largely a confidence issue after a horrific injury run.

His rockwork improved (both in tapping and in use of the body)…but he is still a long way short of say a Lade or a Jolly in pure ruckwork.

Hopefully in 2008 we have another ruck option to free Kosi up to mainly play as a key forward. a role that he has shown that he can play very well.

Maguire, Matthew
Struggled after coming back from a broken leg and also without a pre-season suffered with lack of match practice….and will be much fitter in 2008.

He should settle v=back nicely into being the CHB in 2008.

McQualter, Andrew
One of the big disappointments in 2008. we were crying out for mids…and Mini was one of our very few options…indeed aprt from taggers was the only option.

He went backwards however…and so his head may now be on the chopping block.

However we are very short on mids and so I would expect he will be given another year to make it…especially as he is 21.

Milne, Stephen
Mileny is a bit like Dal in that he has the talent…but needs to be more consistent and delivcer near his best more often.

I think he is over maligned, but on the other hand he needs to doa bit more as well.

Our team has too may players that go missing and who do not deliver 4 quarter efforts week in week out. Milnes is one such player.

Montagna, Leigh
Leigh stepped up in 2008…and Leigh has had steady improvement in most of his years. at 23 this year he established himself as part of our midfield group.

His pace and burst were at time outstanding.

However at times his disposal lapses and he wastes the ball.

A very good year from Joey and I expect more of the same in 2008.

Raymond, Phillip

Gone

Riewoldt, Nick
Roo stepped up this year and had a fantastic year. Is now truly one of the best players in the competition.

The one facet he needs to work on though now (after having improved his set shot goal kicking) is kicking goals on the run. He seems to avoid it…..even whe shots should be quite kicking. If Roo can do this he then will be on the same level as Jonathon Brown…if not he will remain just that bit below him.

Rix, Michael
A good honest toiler….but also quite clearly is not an AFL best 22 ruckman.

Will most likely be retained as back up ruck in case of injury or suspension.

Sweeney, Justin
Lots of talent….but those in the know say that he has attitude problems…and so despute the talent and nack of kicking goals he may be on the way out.

This is pity as we could use a small/medium forward that has the knack of kicking goals.

Thompson, Andrew
Retired.

Thanks for many great memories Thommo.

You area great example of where an outstanding work ethic can get you.

Van Rheenen, Luke (R)
RAW but promising. Is a good height (I expect bigger now that the 201cm { :oops: edited}listed)

Voss, Brett
The game has changed and become quicker with more run.

Unfortunately Voss has slowed, and was slow to begin with and this has limited his value to the team now.

He is basically limited to playing as a impact forward off the bench……but then this robs you of an extra mid to share the midfield rotations and ease the fatigue.

He reaimns a good mark and is good kick at goal…but he is SLOW…

Along with Ferg and Gwilt his place on the list is under question.

Wall, James (R)
From reports has improved…but may be too slight for AFL.

Another rookie may be tried instead.

Watts, Fergus
Has been bedeviled with injuries since joining us.

2008 could be his year with GTrain having retained.

He is good strong mark, but is a lumberer which means that he cannot play down back as he is too slow.…in an era where big forwards are expected to be mobile. Playing BOTH watts and Kosi together in the forward line may make it too cumbersome. So Watts’s opportunities in 2008 may well depend on whether Kosi has to be the No1 ruck or not.

If Kosi plays FF, then there may be no place for Watts.

Of all the players on our list that have trade value…only Watts is to me the one that we could afford to lose because we have several key forward options. Perhaps trade him to the Dogs for a mid????
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 06 Sep 2007 5:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintlee
Club Player

Re: Our 2007 list..and some thoughts on each player

Nice post, agree with virtually every line

Jones, Clinton (R)
Playa poor game….and then a very good one….but then did his collarbone.

On resumption he struggled.

Whether he will be retained or not will largely depend on how much weight Ross pays to his pre-broken collarbone game.
If retained obviously needs a lot of work on his footskills.
I am almost certain CJ will be elevated, Rossy Lyon obviously likes him, and he has been mentioned as one of the young up and comers a few times by people at the club.

I know many here don't rate him, but I am a fan and see plenty of potential, I just hope he improves his disposal over the pre-season....

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

very good analysis, there was another a few days ago that was also good.

easy to read layout also.

disagree on voss, when going for the ball was the same pace or marginally faster than Birss, i liked the way he has the awereness to notice birss wasn't shepherding, so he backed up and shephered for birss.

a clever footballer, who does the 1% and plays team footy.

birss is slow, and disposal ordinary but he is in the list from 20 to 30 IMO and will fill in when players are not available, hopefully we will see an improvement there.

haven't seen mini this season but reports from the VFL dont set the house on fire.

I though Blake was having a spanker of a year before Stafford cracked his spine, last year was solid also, this year about the same as last.

Gram I suspect he was carrying an injury, I saw him over the past few weeks clutch his hammy a few times, in the middle rounds, nice to see some dash from him at the end of the season. I would hazard a guess he wasn't a 100%.

I cant remember which game but I remember seeing him clutch his hammy and go off, only to come on later.

perhaps due to injury his endurance wasn't up and a little tightness? certainly a solid season and a more defencive role than his explosive dash in 06.

clint jones disposal was around 50% effective, his last game closer to 36%

concur on his disposal and his thinking, seems sometimes be a rabbit caught in headlights, I hope with drilling and discipline, if we do keep him he will be better in 08.

Doc Clarke is a marvelous person, and charming, I think he wasted a slot as a player on our list tbh.

Thommo I believe was misused in 07.

again it all opinion but I'd give your report 8/10 in my opinion.

cheers

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
To the top
SS Life Member

Gram was inconvenienced against Essendon - in the first quarter when we also lost S. Fisher.

They worked by holding him around the chest level and lifting him at quarter time and he came back on.

Reckon it may be back related.

And, for mine, it impeded him for then rest of the season.

His closing speed allowed him to effect spoils in 2006 and effect them very well.

But he seemed to lose that little bit of closing speed in 2007 - and I reckon it was injury related.

To often seemed sore in the body.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

:)
how much bigger can he get
Van Rheenen, Luke (R)
RAW but promising. Is a good height (I expect bigger now that the2001cm listed)

He has filled out over the eyar and only ended up out of Casey seniors with the return of Rix and Clarke I would think.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote::)
Van Rheenen, Luke (R)

He has filled out over the eyar and only ended up out of Casey seniors with the return of Rix and Clarke I would think.
OMG 2001 CM?!!?!?!!!

GIANT MAN

SHUT UP KRIME!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
saintbrat wrote::)
Van Rheenen, Luke (R)

OMG 2001 CM?!!?!?!!!

GIANT MAN
We can't promote him...he'd struggle to play at the Dome!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ok...Van Reehan has had his surgery and is back to 201+ cm... :oops: :oops:

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Ok...Van Reehan has had his surgery and is back to 201+ cm... :oops: :oops:
goddam can't have a bit of a giggle without grumpy SR bringing reality back into it :lol:

i was just visualisng VR stomping all over the collingwood football team with his size 140 boots!!

SHUT UP KRIME!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Great post sRr.

Really, the list doesn't sound half as bad as some people think it is when you go through player by player. But, as you said, in 2008 we need Ball to get properly fit again, we need NDS to get back to his best form and we desperately need McQualter and Armitage to step up (or ship out).

As you would expect from my signature, I think you were a little too hard on James G. Sure, his game against the Tigers was extremely poor, but I would be disappointed if the club doesn't retain him for 2008 because I believe he has an enormous amount of potential at the back and on the HFF. If it comes down to a choice between Gwilt and Ferguson, I will be extremely disappointed if it is Gwilt who gets the chop. But, of course, everyone is entitled to their view.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintwill66
Club Player

GT's legal action for $270,000 from St Kilda appears a stark contradiction to his regular public claims that he is so passionate about the Saints. Not content with a fat contract for 5 years, he now seeks to dig deeper into the club's coffers for further rewards. What he fails to understand is that regular supporters, many of who struggle to pay their annual memberships, are likely to feel absolutely disgusted that a man who has been very well rewarded for his years at the helm of the team wants to dip further into the money tin, and are totally disenchanted with the continuing turmoil between Thomas and Butterss. As for the GT sympathisers, give us all a break. To paraphrase Bill Hayden's assertion back in 1983 when he lost the leadership of the ALP to Bob Hawke, the proverbial "Drover's Dog" could have achieved success with the calibre of players representing the Saints in 2004 and 2005.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Voss' 1%ers are all well and good Dan Warna, but there are 100 blokes playing suburban footy who would make the same 1%ers if they were given a crack at AFL level.

A contribution of 4 disposals, or 7 disposals, or 8 disposals is not good enough from Voss.

He is too slow for the backline now, and has played up forward for the last 2 years, both at Casey and at St Kilda.

If he is going to play up forward, he needs to kick more goals and win more of the footy.

Voss had too many games in '07 where he was poor ... some okay matches, but none that were great.

He's been a great servant of the club, and many feel loyal towards him, but IMO unfortunately his time is up.

Great post saintsRrising ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Snakeman66
Club Player

Goose

Seemed to really struggle with the "new" hands in the back interpretation.

3 Free Kicks For 19 Against

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
gurubob101
Club Player

Excellent post Saints Rising. A very shrewd assessment. Personally I don't think there will be a huge turn over of players this year. For all the talk of dumping fringe players and buying in disgruntled stars from interstate I think Ross Lyon will keep pretty much the same group of players and focus heavily on a few areas that desperately need attention.
1. Improving our fitness so we can run out a full game.
2. Getting the management of soft tissue injuries right.
3. Improving the kicking skills of most of the list both in shooting for goal and hitting a target on the way forward.
4. Improving our ability to clear the ball from centre bounces.

I think we took a few steps backward this year in order to make some essential changes to our game. Prior to this year we tended to crush the weaker sides but regularly fell apart against quality opposition. We need to become fitter and more efficient in our use of the ball if we are to match it with the top echelon next year. Expect big things in 2008.

The Peanut
Club Player

Great Post sRs

guru bob - you seem to have a fairly firm view of what's going on down at the club re our development.

You wouldn't just happen to know how Luke Ball is going post-op would you?
How long before we will find out whether it has done the trick or not?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:

I can't answer that question precisely Peanut BUT I had dinner with an ex-Saints club doctor tonight which was a real eye opener on many fronts......

However on the medical front (and a disclaimer here that he is not the CURRENT doc and so had not seen medical files etc...):

*The type of operation that Ball is having is very likely to be successful. There has been huge advances in this area mainly driven from European soccer experience where Ball's type of injury is very commom due to soccer players doing lots of short sharp sprints combined with twisting and turning..

*Gardiners feet should be fine :D

*Hamills knees are bone on bone...and he will most likely have to have complete knee reconstruction with 10 years. Basically his knees are being destroyed. however because his knees are so rooted he basically cannot stuff them up much more asa complete knee job is inevitable anyway...it is just a matter of when rather than if. Whether he can play AFL again or not is unknown..
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 07 Sep 2007 12:57am, edited 2 times in total.

The Peanut
Club Player

Thanks for the info

I have a similar condition to Hamill - docs call it a sporting injury but it was an injury following some elbow bending I'm affraid. I am treating mine with an 'alternative method' and it gives me no trouble at all - but then again I am not an AFL footballer.

I have some faith in Gardiner's foot as the op on the other one seems to have done the trick.

Getting Luke Ball and Michael Gardiner on the park in good condition is almost more than I can bring myself to wish for - but if you throw Aaron Hamill in to the mix - the thought is way beyond my wildest dreams.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It was also interesting because he indicated that the training staff often would not follow medical advice.........................

He is very pleased about the current change and the AIS staff coming in and sees a lot of potential improvement in this.

He also made some interesting observations about JB's selection process for new talent....MORE basically factors that JB refused to adequately take into account....one of which was the medical side of things.

I think our new player selection process is going to be more rigourous and less "gut feel" driven.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I think our new player selection process is going to be more rigourous and less "gut feel" driven.
I hope this doesn't mean that we are going to put potential recruits through personality tests and simulation interviews..........!!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintm
Club Player

[quote="The Peanut"]
I have a similar condition to Hamill - docs call it a sporting injury but it was an injury following some elbow bending I'm affraid. I am treating mine with an 'alternative method' and it gives me no trouble at all - but then again I am not an AFL footballer.
[quote]

I would think that when you are in Aaron's position that anything "legal" would be worth a try. Perhaps you can slip it into conversation next time you are talking to someone from the Club!!

Slightly off topic, but I caught the end of a news report last night where they were mentioning storing players stem cells and using them when they became injured. Not sure how it works because, as I said, I didn't see the whole report but I gather it speeds up recovery time. According to the report Geelong have been investigating using it. Downside is that the cost is very high.

Someone who saw the report may be able to explain it better.
Last edited by saintm on Fri 07 Sep 2007 10:34am, edited 1 time in total.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

yeah I heard that on the radio they may begin sometime next year...

he way they explained it helping players regrow cartlidge when there is bone on bone sounds exactly like hamil's injury.

wildgoose
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
The Peanut wrote:

I can't answer that question precisely Peanut BUT I had dinner with an ex-Saints club doctor tonight which was a real eye opener on many fronts......

However on the medical front (and a disclaimer here that he is not the CURRENT doc and so had not seen medical files etc...):

*The type of operation that Ball is having is very likely to be successful. There has been huge advances in this area mainly driven from European soccer experience where Ball's type of injury is very commom due to soccer players doing lots of short sharp sprints combined with twisting and turning..

*Gardiners feet should be fine :D

*Hamills knees are bone on bone...and he will most likely have to have complete knee reconstruction with 10 years. Basically his knees are being destroyed. however because his knees are so rooted he basically cannot stuff them up much more asa complete knee job is inevitable anyway...it is just a matter of when rather than if. Whether he can play AFL again or not is unknown..
Well apart from Hamill situation, that's a pretty good outcome. Thanks for the update, hopefully we get a full season of Gardiner and Ball in great form.

And hack pup is out again, bowled without troubling the scorers.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes hopefully.....

BUT an extra mid or two would still be nice...plus another ruck option.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The difference between us and the top teams is the ability of many players to run hard all day, four quarters. We have Roo, Hayes and Harvey and maybe SFisher who play like this, but then it drops off, there's a lot of talent in the team who don't apply themselves for four quarters. Some players are not able to do the hard running due to being injury-prone, others just dont have the ticker or the right stuff between the ears. This is something RL no doubt will be putting an effort into over summer, and this will probably mean some players will be delisted or traded..but who knows. I reckon he will work them pretty hard over summer.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:The difference between us and the top teams is the ability of many players to run hard all day, four quarters. We have Roo, Hayes and Harvey and maybe SFisher who play like this, but then it drops off, there's a lot of talent in the team who don't apply themselves for four quarters. Some players are not able to do the hard running due to being injury-prone, others just dont have the ticker or the right stuff between the ears. This is something RL no doubt will be putting an effort into over summer, and this will probably mean some players will be delisted or traded..but who knows. I reckon he will work them pretty hard over summer.
i think the other aspect here is that the type of training will change from power to endurance.

ie as with archer's recent comments on how the Kangaroos change their training emphasis.

St Mart has made some good points in the past on BJ and Ball having muscled up too much....sacrificing endurance in the process.