?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

?

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 5:48am, edited 1 time in total.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Should Footballers be Role Models for Society?

aussierules0k wrote: How about we drug test everyone on the AFL commission
Yes, start with demetriou and anderson, and do it every half hour for six months. Make it hurt ! :twisted:

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Fair post AOK, and I like the drug testing of journalists, too. They're a massive part of the game today and perhaps it would be a showing of solidarity between the two parties. But who would pay for it? ASDA?

Anyway, just a question mate, why do you reckon the media chases these stories exposing players? Wouldn't they only chase stories which people are willing to read (and thus pay for)?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

No. Parents should. To expect a sportsman to be a role model is complete crap. Kids might like to emulate their deeds on the field, but a parent should instill values.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Winmarvellous wrote:No. Parents should. To expect a sportsman to be a role model is complete crap. Kids might like to emulate their deeds on the field, but a parent should instill values.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Winmarvellous wrote:No. Parents should. To expect a sportsman to be a role model is complete crap. Kids might like to emulate their deeds on the field, but a parent should instill values.
I love the sentiment and endorse it totally....

but the players are also seen as role models.

Look at the school yards, the junior footy fields - they are seen that way and always will be.

It's what they're paid to do, it's why we turn up every week to watch them...

I am still in awe of Harves even though I'm so much older than him. He is a person I still see as a role model :oops:

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 5:47am, edited 2 times in total.

battye
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:However, we live in a free society (at present), freedom means doing whatever you like privately as long as you don't hurt anyone else.
Rubbish, laws are in place for a reason. As far as I know, there has been no law passed where taking drugs "privately and without hurting anyone else" is okay.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 5:47am, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

In the '50s and '60s the drugs of choice for footballers were nicotine and alcohol, and these are legal. There may have been a bit of pot smoking.

Today the major drug of choice is alcohol, still legal.
Nicotine has gone by the wayside because it kills performance (pity a lot of young and not so young people have not realised this).

Speed, ice, ecstacy and cocaine are now so called recreational drugs.
They are all illegal, do nothing for you, except give a short term high (and a longer term down) and are performance enhancing, once again in the short term.

The fact that the AFL has a three strike policy indicates it takes these matters seriously and is trying to look after it's players.

That club officials may be using these drugs (if that is the case) is an absolute disgrace.

Whether or not players are role models is irrelevant, because surely club officials are, or should be.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

no one gets to choose if they are or aren't a role model, its not the players choise, its not the AFL's choice

a player can't say "i'm not a role model because i don't want to be"

anyone can be a role model, from a garbage man to the prime minister

if someone looks up to them, and takes after them, that makes them a role model

they can either choose to be a good role model or bad role model, they don't get to choose whether they are one

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The Peanut
Club Player

. . . wise words there 'The Dud'.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

battye wrote:As far as I know, there has been no law passed where taking drugs "privately and without hurting anyone else" is okay.
No, but there have been laws passed to prohibit possession of illicit drugs.

So by necessary implication, don't get caught in possession of drugs and it's OK.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Are you suggesting that footballers are different from other elite sportspeople? Or do you consider that none of them are 'role models'?

The advertising and marketing industry obviously feel they have great value in the marketing/advertising of all sorts of products/services as they are used extensively by them.

If Luke Ball was not a 'role model', why would Telstra contract him to use in their campaigns?

What difference does it make to your football ability if half the Collingwood Footabll team use a certain type of shampoo? SO why are they used in a campaign?

If they are not 'role models' why do their managers spend so much time, effort and money trying to get them these deals (awway from the playing field)

As much as the players might protest that they are not 'role models' it would appear that society does seem to consider them that way.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

the on field actions of footballers are what the kids look up to. How many 13,14,15 year old kids watch the news and see the allegations of drug use, wife bashing etc, against their heroes.

most kids dont see what happens in the media, they are blind to that, i am and always will be of the opinion that a sportspersons private life, should always remain private.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Yes and no.

I noticed hackett and stevens had their medals upgraded to silver because another swimmer tested postitive to a stimulant (methamphetamine) taken out of competition...

you either permit drugs in AFL or you ban them, let the players compete on discipline, skill, strategy, tactics, training, talent etc, without bringing illegal drugs to the table. its either everyone is allowed or everyone is banned.

as for role models the players trade on their names and brands to endorse products.

if player X says 'buy product y because I am a good and reliable person and my name is my bond' and it turns out they are snorting crack and screwing hookers in the spare time, you'll think twice about buying a product.

I wouldn't think twice that if Harvey endorsed a product, the chances are it was done in good faith.

if ben cousins endorsed a product you'd think well it was done as a cash job and he doesn't care if the product does or doesn't work.

if they want to trade on their name for money which is basically what endorsements are, then they have to be aware of the consequences of that.

ie, losing drink driving TAC sponsorship when your players are drink driving.

As for vodafone, what phukcing hypocrits, they are sponsoring carlton at their homeground of OPTUS oval :roll: after sponsoring st kilda at Testra Done :roll:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Princes Park is now MC Labour Park, not Optus Oval, has been for a couple of years.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I don't think it is wise to make someone a role model just because of what they do, role models should be based on contribution to society: Nelson Mandella, Mother Theresa, Pope John Paul II, Diana, these are the heroes we should look up to.

Footy players can be role models (Doug Nicholls is one good example) but should be role models by default because they play footy.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:I don't think it is wise to make someone a role model just because of what they do, role models should be based on contribution to society: Nelson Mandella, Mother Theresa, Pope John Paul II, Diana, these are the heroes we should look up to.

Footy players can be role models (Doug Nicholls is one good example) but should be role models by default because they play footy.
concur nelson mandela, concur Mother Teresa, JP2 not a fan, diana, just another dead royal. don't give a rats about JP2 or diana.

as for footy players, Harvey is a role model.

with regards to drugs, level playing field, either all in or all out.

with regards to privacy and the media, well harvey doesn't it put it out there and is judged accordingly, he endorses someone or something i listen.

player X is a dick, behaves like a dick, his marketing value should be treated accordingly, given player X advertises products, goes to pub and nightclubs and puts his name out there, i think we have a right to know about his private behaviour if he is subsequently going to attend an Auskick seminar.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Brewer
Club Player

I think this is a uniquely Autralian issue.

In other sports in other countries players can behave like bad rock stars and nobody really cares.

Australians revere sportsmen. They are not just faces on trading cards but they are national heroes that cut ribbons, dine with the PM and sell us breakfast cereal.

Australia takes great national pride in, and stakes its international reputation on, it's sporting prowess, its clean sports and its clean sportsmen.

If you want to take drugs then don't play sports in Australia. There are plenty of folks who will step up into your spot.

I believe we also owe it to our young players to do everything possible to encourage them to live a clean lifestyle, and if that means extra scrutiny then so be it.

This isn't the 1970's any more, there's no smoking fags in the pub after a game, the pay is greater, the profile is greater and the level of professionalism expected from the players is greater. If you want to watch 'normal' fat blokes having a kick then check out your local league. I want the players in my premier league team to be striving for peak health and fitness - not taking drugs.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
concur nelson mandela, concur Mother Teresa, JP2 not a fan, diana, just another dead royal. don't give a rats about JP2 or diana.
With respect, thats just your opinion, JPII and Diana are looked up to by alot of people and did alot of good for the world at large, so I felt they were apt examples.

Its up to you who you choose to use as a role model, very pleased you agree on Mandella and Mother Theresa.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 5:56am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

to AOK and Ric

happy to debate the issue on board 2 on this forum :D

folks can look up to who they like :D

the basis of my arguement is that they trade on their name and put it out there to generate revenue endorsing goods adn services, if their name is mud (ie cousins in the eastern seaboard) then it would add to the decision making process of those influenced by commercials and advertising.

with regard to sport, I think drugs by and large should be legalised inthe general community, however for sports either all in or all out, let the best trained, most disciplined, most skilled players triumph, drugs for some and not for others creates additional issues of unfairness.

and yes kids do listen and watch. My son is fascinated by what footballers say and do, and he emulates them. they also repeat jingles from TV or music we play on the CD player (my wife put the rocky horror soundtrack on the weekend....)

also having worked with teenagers, they do copy what the older professional guys do.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Halo Halo
Club Player

In the world I live in I dont see kids with role models such as the Nelson Mandela, The Pope, Diana etc, I see kids idolising actor's, pop stars and sportstar's.. Kids want to grow up and be just like their hero's.. They see them on tv, in newspapers and they wanna be just like them. They wanna be like Roger Federer, Tiger Woods, James Hird, Nick Riewoldt etc.. I dont know about you guys but when I grew up I didnt want to be like Mother Theresa I wanted to grow up like Michael Jordan, Tony Lockett, Kylie Minogue, Brad Pitt etc etc..

I think football stars like all public figures cannot be ignorant to the fact that they are idolised and kids want to grow up just like them. It does not mean it should consume their entire life, but they should shoulder some responsibility. Its all about living a life that others can appreciate and look up too.. Its not about being perfect - NO human is perfect - we all have flaws, but being a role model is more about not being blind to your responsibilites as a person in our society..

congorozides
Club Player

No way. The society role model thing is ridiculous. If people are looking towards footy players to be role models- we have a serious problem.

Footballer players should just be football players - and thats it. If an individual player takes on extra responsibilities with charities and other things that is fantastic and should be encouraged - as it is great when anyone takes on extra responsibilities for some public good but the general public should not look to footy players to be beacons of the community - only that they act according to pre-ordained societal norms like everyone else.

The clubs as employers and often as almost surrogate guardians of the players - especially those youngsters from regional areas, interstate or overseas (Ireland) have an obligation to ensure the wellbeing and health of their players and should take an active role in drugs education and discipline and education.