Resurgance of Victorian based clubs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Marchin' In
Club Player

Resurgance of Victorian based clubs

With West Coast being knocked out tonight, 4 of the remaining 5 clubs in the competition are Victorian-based. This year is set to be the end of interstate dominance stretching back to 2001.

But...who would have thought 2 years ago that it wouldn't involve us?

I am quite happy about Victoria's resurgance, but with us not even making the finals this year it is apparent how much Hawthorn, Collingwood, North and Geelong too have eclipsed us in terms of devolpment.

UP THE SAINTERS!
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Draft and salary cap.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Draft and salary cap.
and injuries but they are part of it

Put a fit Judd/Cousins/Kerr and to a lesser extent Hansen

WC would have been right in it.

saint4life
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Get lost chook....just admit we have slammed the AINTS in recruiting the last 2-3 years??? Have we not???? Marty Clarke? Goldsack? Thomas? Pendlebury? Shall I keep going?????

chook23
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:Get lost chook....just admit we have slammed the AINTS in recruiting the last 2-3 years??? Have we not???? Marty Clarke? Goldsack? Thomas? Pendlebury? Shall I keep going?????
Why the get lost

I will have to enjoy even more watching the Cats tear you a new one.

saint4life
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Yeah but chook where are u guys??? Jamming it up at Flaming Mo's or some tossers night club??? We r playin finals......isnt that where u want to be????? Loser..... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

chook23
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:Yeah but chook where are u guys??? Jamming it up at Flaming Mo's or some tossers night club??? We r playin finals......isnt that where u want to be????? Loser..... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The bait tastes horrible.

saint4life
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Chook 23 u r not good enough to be there. Your admin is a RABBLE!!!!!

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Numero deux-deux, such a clever wee man. Be done, be washed, be wise (from F-Troop).

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Back to the original topic.

Apart perhaps from Geelong (and we must remember that they looked pretty damn good in 2005 with much the same lineup, and then had an off year in 2006), the Vic clubs have not really improved in general (Hawthorn and the Roos have gotten a bit better, the Demons and us and the Tigers have deteriorated.)

But the Eagles, Crows and Swans have had difficult years with injuries (and, in the case of the Swans, the form of some key players). And Fremantle - burglars in making the top 4 last year however you look at it - have dropped away again, which is no great surprise.

I thought the performance of the Eagles last night to stay in the game until the last few minutes of extra time was remarkable. Without Judd, Kerr and Cousins they were murdered in the clearances. They had injury problems again during the game (Hanson, Wirrapunda: and I don't think Glass was quite right for much of the second half - which is presumably why he came off at a crucial stage - but he played a blinder anyway).

Yet the Pies still had a titanic struggle to beat them. The Pies are overrated IMO. The one thing they do have in spades - and we don't - is the ability to take their chances in front of goal. They burgled several goals during the game (Rocca's unintentional back heel being the highlight). But they deserved to as they always have attacking intentions. (I hope Ross Lyon was watching.)

I couldn't help feeling while watching last night that we really should have been there. And I don't care what sort of abuse the Butterss-Lyon cheer squad throw at me for saying this: I still think we probably would have been there if the Board hadn't made its stupid decision in September 2006.

Gee, this amazing improvement we are allegedly going to make under Lyon's coaching in 2008 better be bloody good.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Injuries is the only reason.

It's unfortunate the interstate teams weren't crippled with injuries when our window was open in 2004-2005.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:Gee, this amazing improvement we are allegedly going to make under Lyon's coaching in 2008 better be bloody good.
Oh it'll be astounding. Ball will miraculously recover from his injuries, Hamil will return and play all games, Raph Clarke will magically become a good player simply by "doing a preseason", we'll recruit the best ruckman in the league, we'll recruit Jobe Watson and he'll be a superstar, Dal Santo will suddenly "do all the hard things", our slow midfield will suddenly become super fast under "ROSS` 2ND YEAR", Ross Lyons gameplan will suddenly switch from the most negative conservative static backline rubbish to a full frontal attacking taking your risks gameplan..

The "he's only 21, he's only 22, he's only 23...he's only 32... " excuses for every sub-standard player will continue to dominate. Keep McQualter, he won best and fairest at the Under 12s AND runner up best and fairest in the under 11s....yes he must be a star at AFL level.

Placing trust in future myths. Seems intelligent to me....

Duggie
Club Player

Re: Resurgance of Victorian based clubs

[quote="Marchin' In"]With West Coast being knocked out tonight, 4 of the remaining 5 clubs in the competition are Victorian-based. This year is set to be the end of interstate dominance stretching back to 2001.

But...who would have thought 2 years ago that it wouldn't involve us?

I am quite happy about Victoria's resurgance, but with us not even making the finals this year it is apparent how much Hawthorn, Collingwood, North and Geelong too have eclipsed us in terms of devolpment.[/quote
Dimetriou and his lacky must be wallowing in thei porridge over this.
They want the Victorian teams to be reduced in number :lol:

A Saint Forever!
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Living interstate, I am loving the success of the Victorian sides. But I did think it was going to be a stress free September. Not so, nearlly had kittens last night, it was an awesome game. We only have to get rid of Port now. Go the Victorian clubs. We want an all Victorian GF. 8-)

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Brewer
Club Player

meher baba wrote:The Pies are overrated IMO.
The players are overrated, but Malthouse and the club in general have done brilliantly with a 'reasonable' list. I agree that there are no all-Australians there, no real superstars, but a decent list of hardworking players being given every support by their club, and look at the results. You simply can't write them off.

Morale is high at Collingwood, the players feel valued and that gives them the strength and the confidence to put in the effort.

Imagine our list with Collingwood's level of support...

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.