Improvers in 2008 ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Improvers in 2008 ...

To talk some football for a second, which players do you think will improve in 2008?

It is said that you have to find 10% more each year ... one way of doing this is improvement from individual players.

So which players will give us that extra 10% in 2008?

Sam Gilbert = will continue to gain in strength and experience at AFL level, and build on his outstanding 2007 season. Can only get better, and his pace, height and tackling ability are key assets for our 2008 campaign.

Justin Koschitzke = this might seem a strange one, but for the first time since 2001, Kosi had basically a full season. He played some terrific games and a few average ones, but the fact that Kosi was able to get through a full season of footy will do wonders for his confidence - and body.
With another pre-season under his belt, I believe Kosi will be even better in 2008.

Matt Maguire = according to some he is easily dispensable, but in certain games in 2005 and '06 he was sensational at CHB. Played out the last ten games of the season but struggled to have an impact. The footy will have helped his body enormously, and with a pre-season to regain his pace, Goose should be an improver in 2008.

David Armitage = played some match-winning quarters in the VFL ... but not many match-winning games. It has been repeatedly said that he needs to improve his fitness, and a full pre-season in 2008 should help with this. Can step up next year and become a part of our midfield rotation. Has the ability, and will start to shine next year.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully, we will get better than 10% improvement from the following group of players which will give us an unbelievable boost when added to the names you have already mentioned.

All have had injury affected/ruined seasons in 2007

Luke Ball
BJ Goddard
Michael Gardiner
Lenny Hayes
Max Hudghton
Raph Clarke
Xavier Clarke
Sammy Hammill

awesome_days
Club Player

I think our players can improve on this years performance purely on a returning from injury basis that will greatly improve our team

Ball
Maguire
Goddard
Gardiner
R Clarke
Hughton
Hammill

Players who played majority of this year but will be better next year
Gilbert
Koschitzke
X Clarke
Hayes
L Fisher
Fiora

Emerging talents who may step up ala Gilbert/Fiora
Armitage
Allen
#9 draft pick

strauchanie
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Hopefully, we will get better than 10% improvement from the following group of players which will give us an unbelievable boost when added to the names you have already mentioned.

All have had injury affected/ruined seasons in 2007

Luke Ball
BJ Goddard
Michael Gardiner
Lenny Hayes
Max Hudghton
Raph Clarke
Xavier Clarke
Sammy Hammill
I think we even need less than that. A Luke Ball without hint of OP, a ready and willing Gardiner and a better than average Goddard will see us improve considerably

sasaint
Club Player

I don't mean to be negative but...

Don't think Hamill will be back. (love to be wrong)
BJ will have a slow return like Lenny and Goose.
Wouldn't bet on Gardiner being more than a GOP after being out so long.

However

I hope Armo turns the corner and shows he is more than just potential.
Expect Geary to be promoted and show some real NDS skills (from what he has shown in the Scorps, great rookie selection Bevo)
Raph to come back strongly with a full pre-season. Lyon has high expectations.

What would be a big bonus (and surprise) would be Howard demonstrating that the faith that Bevo had in him was not misplaced.

There is no doubt in my mind that our list strength has gone backwards over the last couple of years and it is going to be much tougher to compete against the sides like Geelong, Brisbane and even Carlton in a couple of years who have got young well balanced lists.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

If Riewoldt, X, Lenny, Kosi, Bally, Joey, Fiora, Milne and a few others all worked for a few hours a day over the off season on their goalkicking - both from set shots and on the run - that would just about provide enough improvement to take the team all the way to a flag IMO.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Agree with most of the above.

Would also like to see an injection of 1st & 2nd yr players who can have an impact. How good would it be to unearth another 3-4 gems like Sam Gilbert? !!

spert
Saintsational Legend

I've written off Ball, XClarke and Hammill due to being injury-prone players who's bodies can't sustain the physical standard to play at the level required over a full season, so I need to see another midfielder, and a couple of half forwards coming into the team.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

My pick for the big improver next year is Birss, I am expecting big things from him and I am hoping he will become a regular contributor, he runs hard, tackles well and gets a bit of the ball, he could become quite handy for us.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:I've written off Ball, XClarke and Hammill due to being injury-prone players who's bodies can't sustain the physical standard to play at the level required over a full season, so I need to see another midfielder, and a couple of half forwards coming into the team.
I agree the injury prone players in our team aren't suddenly going to have dream seasons.

We need to draft and draft well.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Well, to be honest I'd like to see Harvey turn it up a notch. He has room for improvement.

Riewoldt too.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Solar
Saintsational Legend

gram and gilbert to ramp it up and become full fledge midfielders. Gram to give us the zing and pace, gilbert to play the emberley role.

I can see howard and geary stepping up and learning the running back roles early in the peace. Was really impressed by howards game in the final casey played off a half back flank.

Kosi with a pre-season under his belt, look out!!!!!!!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote: Kosi with a pre-season under his belt, look out!!!!!!!
Now that is just plain scary!

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!