My chat with Greg Westaway today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

yipper
SS Life Member

My chat with Greg Westaway today

Just had a phone call from the man himself - rang me in my capacity as Gippsland Country Supporter group rep. Wanted to introduce himself to me and asked me about any issues of concern I had as a supporter.

Very impressive bloke - mentioned he has a number of corporate backers ready to take up very healthy sponsorship deals if he gets the gig. These companies will not deal with the present board. Also they do have clear business and financial plans in place. He said he was not in it for himself - he just wants what is best for the club. Was interested in what I had to say and will follow up on a couple of local issues I have with the club. They have around 5000 proxys in already!! Is confident of winning and will get straight into it - believes we have a very rosy future and will get right behind the coach with anything he needs to get us a flag. Was a very good chat - seems to be a good bloke and a committed one.
Last edited by yipper on Tue 18 Sep 2007 5:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Saints94
SS Life Member

I'm gonna vote for him

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Greg Westaway

yipper wrote:Just had a phone call from the man himself - rang me in my capacity as Gippsland Country Supporter group rep. Wanted to introduce himself to me and asked me about any issues of concern I had as a supporter.

Very impressive bloke - mentioned he has a number of corporate backers ready to take up very healthy sponsorship deals if he gets the gig. These companies will not deal with the present board. Also they do have clear business and financial plans in place. He said he was not in it for himself - he just wants what is best for the club. Was interested in what I had to say and will follow up on a couple of local issues I have with the club. They have around 5000 proxys in already!! Is confident of winning and will get straight into it - believes we have a very rosy future and will get right behind the coach with anything he needs to get us a flag. Was a very good chat - seems to be a good bloke and a committed one.
Good one yipper - did he mention that there was any chance the voting members may actually get to see their business and financial plan?

Doesn't really matter, if they have 5000 proxies the masses have already got their new messiah in.

The messiah is dead - long live the messiah (unril the next one comes along). :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
spert
Saintsational Legend

Maybe ask him next time to detail where he's going to finance what he and the challenging board has promised, as well as making sure we don't go back into major debt. I'm sure every president and board has promised to do everything they can for the club over the last few decades, and these include successful corporate businessmen, and to me it's a case of.."OK...Next"

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Yes, I also spoke with him this morning and Burkie yesterday. Very impressive. I urge everyone to keep an open mind to what they have to say.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
SaintDippa
Club Player

Love to see the plans and financials also but Westie looks likes he's being advised by the Rudd07 group. Opponent on the nose, promise promise promise keep everyone happy, say the right things, nothing too controversial and bid your time till the vote.

RB has to go. Please a third creditable ticket. Press conference at Peppermint Rhino viewed as a plus.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Greg Westaway

yipper wrote:JThey have around 5000 proxys in already!!
If true, then the silent majority (who are perhaps not accurately represented by the most prominent posters on here) would seem to have spoken against Butterss.

I would imagine that there are lots of members with an average age skewed towards the older end of the spectrum who lack the wherewithal, time or inclination to use the internet to log into fan forums.

They are loyal, lifelong members who would harbour painful memories of the wilderness years of the 1970s and 1980s and who would have been far less convinced than many (perhaps, on average, younger) posters on here that there was any compelling logic to the decision by the club to sack a highly successful coach in GT and to replace him with a coach who favours a boring, "modern" style of football. And who see Butterss and his board as representing the worst sort of spin doctors and purveyors of corporatespeak.

I can tell you that there are lots of Saints members in Hobart who feel this way, but who felt powerless to do anything about it. Their chance has now come.

Good on them.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
yipper
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Maybe ask him next time to detail where he's going to finance what he and the challenging board has promised, as well as making sure we don't go back into major debt. I'm sure every president and board has promised to do everything they can for the club over the last few decades, and these include successful corporate businessmen, and to me it's a case of.."OK...Next"
Well, I'm no financial wiz, but I reckon getting hold of a couple of good, cashed up sponsors AND keeping them would generate a bit of income!! He also agreed that Membership may well increase on the back of a revitalised board and a good pre-season. Last time I looked - we lost a few thousand members this year!! This bloke is fair dinkum - and Joffa, we need a new messiah, the other bloke looks like he's had enough, might give this new messiah a crack. He's fresh off the messiah production line!! The latest model!! Got all the mod gadgetry.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
eppo67
Club Player

Just sent in mine today for them.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

again i think ill wait til both partys put forth their case b4 deciding.

did he actually mention any names in regard to sponcers ?

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
yipper
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:again i think ill wait til both partys put forth their case b4 deciding.

did he actually mention any names in regard to sponcers ?
No, but he has several apparently - both top and middle tier types. But Greg said we need ppl working at the club who can look after them.. give em a hug, a drink etc. Just look after em' That's what you're supposed to do - give them a chance to gain some mileage from the arrangement as well - not just coff up the dollars.

yipper
SS Life Member

Also confirmed the new date for the EGM - now on October 23rd (Tues) at Moorabbin Town Hall. Been brought forward.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

did he outline who exactly would he be looking at replacing in the club ?
cause this is one point im stuck on we all know if elected RB would be go as would the rest of the board they have said the coaching staff are safe but what about the rest of the company employees training services logistics marketing ect ect what are their plans for them (maybe ill need to email SFF directly to find out about this issue )

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

He was unable to name who the sponsors would be as they won't come onboard if there isn't a change.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:He was unable to name who the sponsors would be as they won't come onboard if there isn't a change.
And that is fair enough too.

I am only skeptical of such proclimations as I specifically remember Butters making the same pronouncement of an impending new major sponsor at an AGM a few years and and it turned out to be typical RB spin and BS.

Ironically this is the exact reason why many want to see the back of Rod and his spin. Can you imagine how conflicted this makes me feel :wink: :wink: :wink:

So I cant trust anyone who comes up with piss and wind. Seen it and heard it all before.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:I'm gonna vote for him
I think that you have to be an adult member.....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Yipper....the more pieces to the puzzle we all get...the better informed that we will all be.

PS...did not happen to mention if he had signed up Juddy??? :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:did he outline who exactly would he be looking at replacing in the club ?
More a case of Adding to existing staff; enabling them to do their jobs more efficiently,
how many on here said they hate getting an answering machine
or have had problems with memberships and supply- hard to maintian members and sponsors when you can't even talk to a person on the phone.

Has anyone had contact from Rod or his current board- giving any detail of their plans? apart from statements on saints.com or the interview from last week.
Last edited by saintbrat on Tue 18 Sep 2007 5:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
yipper
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Thanks Yipper....the more pieces to the puzzle we all get...the better informed that we will all be.

Spoke to him about that - reckons he'd be all for going after him and would totally support any attempts by the football dept to snare him. Reckons whatever Rossy Lyon wants he will pretty much get.

Shades
Club Player

homework wrote:I'm gonna vote for him

Aint u like 12 lol

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Thanks Yipper....the more pieces to the puzzle we all get...the better informed that we will all be.

Spoke to him about that - reckons he'd be all for going after him and would totally support any attempts by the football dept to snare him. Reckons whatever Rossy Lyon wants he will pretty much get.
That should be the attitude of a board ... the football department asks for something and the board finds a way to pay for it.

Good to hear re: the sponsors.

Hopefully it is over quickly.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:

Good. So we will win the flag next year then.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Had a message from him on my answering machinewhen I got home from work. Didnt get a chance to call him back but will do so tomorrow.

Anything anyone would like raised on behalf of the Moorabbin Wing?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote: Anything anyone would like raised on behalf of the Moorabbin Wing?
Why wont he release his financial plans to the voting members and why is he hiding behind Nathan Burke?

Lance or James??

SaintPM
Club Player

Joffaboy,

Please explain how someone who is personally calling members of supporter groups and the like, is "hiding behind Nathan Burke"

Sign Sealed for Life