Up to 6(!) Picks in the National Draft.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Up to 6(!) Picks in the National Draft.

Here is my list of players in and out of the various lists, based on speculation along with some facts.

Out: (Retired)
Gehrig
Thompson
Voss
M. Clarke

Out: (Delisted)
Raymond
Sweeney
Brooks (Speculation)
Ferguson (Speculation)

IN: (Rookie Elevation)
Attard (+ move to LTI list immediately)
Jones (although I personally would prefer not)
Geary
Eddy

STAY: Rookie Retained
Wall
Van Rheenen

STAY: Veterans List
Harvey
Hudghton

With 38 on the Main list (#1-#37 + #44)
6 on the Rookie List
0 on the Veterans List

With the changes, 4 retirements, 4 delistments, 2 veterans listings. That leaves a main list (before elevations) of 28 players, and a rookie/veterans list of 8 players. (2 over the limit of 6).

28 players plus 4 Rookie Elevations, leaves 32 on the main list. This leaves 6 (!) picks in the national draft, and 2 picks in the Rookie Draft.

Edit: Clearly stating Brooks and Ferguson delistings as Speculation.
Last edited by Otiman on Wed 19 Sep 2007 9:32am, edited 1 time in total.

Shaggy
Club Player

I haven't read that Brooks was delisted. Can you can confirm? Negligence if true.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

As i said, based on speculation as well as what is already known.

Shaggy
Club Player

Fair enough but then you should also put against Brooksy's name (Possibility) ... unless you are one of Plugger 66's disciples.

I don't think there will be any more delistings with Raymond and Sweeney gone ... so much for the big clean out some posters have been BS ing about.

Agree that Attard, Geary and Jones are likely to be promoted with Attard put on LTI list.

I doubt Eddy will be promoted leaving 4 spots on National apart from trades and 2 spots for the rookies.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Regardless of what was said, it's hard to see Brooks staying on another season.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I'd be very surprised if we delist any of our ruckmen.

With Clarke gone, Gardiner yet to play a game, Kosi spending more time forward with Gehrig's retirement we'd be silly to delist anyone that can ruck (and that includes Rix).

Shaggy
Club Player

I am pleased to see you have changed the delisting of Brooksy to speculation.

I am hapy to declare my speculation that he will be a future All Australian ruck man.

Hopefully it will be with the Saints.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'm a huge Brooks fan too, just think he's had his card marked for the last 6 months. Ahead of Watts for mine as a forward, but behind Rix as a ruckman.

1eyedNever
Club Player

List

If we are to keep 6 rookies which is a must and RL has stated he always wants 6 rookies.
We cannot have any players on the veterans list.

SKFC has now been confirmed as the AFLs BITCH
Shaggy
Club Player

Otiman wrote:I'm a huge Brooks fan too, just think he's had his card marked for the last 6 months. Ahead of Watts for mine as a forward, but behind Rix as a ruckman.
His card was marked ... no question.

But ... G-Train has walked out which RL did not expect, RL lost faith with Rix by end of year, Clarke has gone and MG didn't even get fielded this year.

I suspect Brooksy has jumped a few grades in RL's books due to no alternative and Brooksy's form at Casey. Next year Brooksy will not be merely used as a back up forward but will actually be given a chance to ruck ... lol ... good idea RL.

saintlee
Club Player

Brooks will be lucky to stay IMO, but I suspect if he does, it will be as a FF with some pitch-hitting in the ruck....

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Re: Up to 6(!) Picks in the National Draft.

Otiman wrote:IN: (Rookie Elevation)
Attard (+ move to LTI list immediately)
Jones (although I personally would prefer not)
Geary
Eddy
Any ideas how Geary & Eddy will go on our senior list?

Makes you wonder how many players we missed out in prevoius years not using rookies properly.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Shaggy
Club Player

saintlee wrote:Brooks will be lucky to stay IMO, but I suspect if he does, it will be as a FF with some pitch-hitting in the ruck....
Interchanging his pinch hitting with MG and Kosi in the forward pocket and FF leaving the bench for our midfielders.

FFS give us the 2008 premiership cup now. I am very happy with that pinch hitting line up.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
saintlee wrote:Brooks will be lucky to stay IMO, but I suspect if he does, it will be as a FF with some pitch-hitting in the ruck....
Interchanging his pinch hitting with MG and Kosi in the forward pocket and FF leaving the bench for our midfielders.

FFS give us the 2008 premiership cup now. I am very happy with that pinch hitting line up.
:roll:
5 years !!! nothining !!! a rolled up newspaper is more deserving of a seinior spot !!
not one coach but now two coaches have not played him there is a reason hes not up to it
good VFL player but (to quote RogerWA ) he aint an AFL players bootlace

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Shaggy
Club Player

I was waiting for your response.

Wish Brooksy as much bad as you like but he is still only the same age as CJ. Given that he has missed 2 years and has just finished an excellent year for Casey he is a lot more promising. Brooksy is about ready now for AFL even if it will pIss you off.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:I was waiting for your response.

Wish Brooksy as much bad as you like but he is still only the same age as CJ. Given that he has missed 2 years and has just finished an excellent year for Casey he is a lot more promising. Brooksy is about ready now for AFL even if it will pIss you off.
because Im selfish he owes us.

I feel for guys like tony brown, and matty lappin who weren't given a chance at st kilda and dont begrudge them any success they may have had, even sam cranage I kind of hoped came good.

I feel dissapointed with guys like guerra and hackland who were given a chance and walked for dollars.

knobel less so, because he was kind of told, but hackland and guerra just chased $$$$$

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:I was waiting for your response.

mate for 5 years ive been hoping brooks comes good it never happens i desperatly wanted him to become a good player cause we oh so need a decent ruck /forward but he hasnt delivered 5 years is long enuff cut our losses and move on

im glad you bring up cj cause he also isnt up AFL standard yet in one year at the club has played more games then brooks

i dont wish bad on him but ive given up hope on him being a afl standard player let alone All Australian :roll:
if and its a big If he is retained and he comes good as an AFL player in no way will it piss me off ill be very happy to admit i was wrong but after 5 years theres little chance of that happening

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Shaggy
Club Player

Forget the 5 years rubbish given his injuries.

He has come good the past season … 8 bests in 17 matches is not something to belittle.

He has not destroyed the opposition as I thought he would this year but if you see him he is still just a kid.

I believe he is wakening up to himself as a footballer. Now would be the most stupid time to get rid of him.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

2007 was the year hamish macintosh came good after 4 years of SFA, macintosh was in the magoos for 4 years and didn't have injuries., he is 6 months younger than brooks.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:Fair enough but then you should also put against Brooksy's name (Possibility) ... unless you are one of Plugger 66's disciples.

I don't think there will be any more delistings with Raymond and Sweeney gone ... so much for the big clean out some posters have been BS ing about.

Agree that Attard, Geary and Jones are likely to be promoted with Attard put on LTI list.

I doubt Eddy will be promoted leaving 4 spots on National apart from trades and 2 spots for the rookies.
It is pretty standard not to delist players who may (albeit very small value) be of some value as trade bait - ie Ferg, Brooks.

The initial delistings are clearly players no other club would consider of any value.

Therefore we are some distance away from knowing who will stay and go!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
TwoTowers
Club Player

Not a chance Brooks will be delisted. He has been terrific this year. His real benefit to us in future will be as a forward who can help out in the ruck. Gehrig, Kozi, Roo and team balance meant he paid his dues in the reserves. He will be given his first real opportunity in the seniors next season.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Can someone explain to me the stuff about not having 2 people on the Veterans list because of the rookie situation? I really don't understand the rules about that. Anyone?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

For the love of god, PLEASE don't promote Attard.

Just leave him on the rookie list.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Can someone explain to me the stuff about not having 2 people on the Veterans list because of the rookie situation? I really don't understand the rules about that. Anyone?
It's like a supplementary list - you can have 6 players on it. That can be 1 vet and 5 rookies or 3 vet's and 3 rookies or whatever combination you want. At least that's how I understand it.

And the more vets you have, the lower the percentage of their wage that goes outside the salary cap.

If anyone knows the system better, please guide us uneducated masses through it!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
luckysaint
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:For the love of god, PLEASE don't promote Attard.

Just leave him on the rookie list.
Is he too old to say on the rookie list next year?