Old Hailebury old Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Hailebury old Saints

Jamie Shanahan to coach Old Hailebury in the B grade ammos next year. Tony Brown Matty Lappin to play. Loewie having a year off but could play the following year and there is a big chance Joel Smith will also play. And Vossy may be playing as well.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Old Hailebury old Saints

plugger66 wrote:Jamie Shanahan to coach Old Hailebury in the B grade ammos next year. Tony Brown Matty Lappin to play. Loewie having a year off but could play the following year and there is a big chance Joel Smith will also play. And Vossy may be playing as well.
All these guys got kids of school age?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: All these guys got kids of school age?
Are you insinuating that an ex AFL footballer can 'pay' for their childrens education through a scholarship in return for playing footy for their side?

Revelations like this could tear a swathe through the VAFA.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Jamie Shanahan to coach Old Hailebury in the B grade ammos next year. Tony Brown Matty Lappin to play. Loewie having a year off but could play the following year and there is a big chance Joel Smith will also play. And Vossy may be playing as well.

Sauce Plugger? I played for Old Haileybury in the Amos and keep an interest from afar. That's quite an influx of AFL talent. Is big Stuie the lynchpin in luring them down there or someone else?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:

Sauce Plugger? I played for Old Haileybury in the Amos and keep an interest from afar. That's quite an influx of AFL talent. Is big Stuie the lynchpin in luring them down there or someone else?

Jamie Shanahan I would think. He is the next coach.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
Mr Magic wrote: All these guys got kids of school age?
Are you insinuating that an ex AFL footballer can 'pay' for their childrens education through a scholarship in return for playing footy for their side?

Revelations like this could tear a swathe through the VAFA.
Firstly, I think you'll find that it had been reported that Buckets' child has received a 'scholsrship' to Hailebury around the same time as he decided to pull on the boots for his old school - oops, he didn't in fact go to school at Haileybury.

Secondly, I don't think the VAFA can do anything about it. Old Haileybury has no 'official connection' with Haileybury College, so therefore it would have been 2 independant actions. Just like someone from a Club arranging a job for a prospective player. The Club itself is not making any 'payment' to the player that would impinge his amateur status.

I would think just another interesting wy to get around the 'rule'.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

I play for OHAFC!!
I would be stoked to play wtih a few of my heroes from yesteryear ...
Source Plugger?
would be thrilled if it was true we need the influx of talent after AFL talent of the likes of Steinfort, Jencke and Corrigan, as well as several ex-VFL stars left at the end of 2005... leading to relegation this year!

The Saints are coming!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Are you saying that Loewe Junior couldnt possibly have been awarded the scholarship fair and square?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Are you saying that Loewe Junior couldnt possibly have been awarded the scholarship fair and square?
I have no way of knowing. It is absolutely possible that the child was awarded the scholarship fair and square. I'm sure if you ask the Club and the School they'll tell you they were two independant actions.

An amazing coincidence anyway. Buckets comes out of retirement to play with Old Haileybury in the Amateurs around the same time his child 'wins' a scholarship to Haileybury College.

Given that the Old Boys Footy Club has no official connection with the College, what do you reckon the attraction to play with them could/would have been?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Amateurs?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Shaggy
Club Player

With Brown, Smith, Lappin and Voss all playing you might as well give them the premiership.

They would destroy them in the Ammos.

Maybe G-Train can also play in the second half of the season when he comes back from his world trip ... I am sure he would like a premiership as well :D .