Rebels take Saints to court

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Rebels take Saints to court

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html

ST KILDA Football Club will be back in the courts next week.

Having early this month received a writ from former coach Grant Thomas, the Saints yesterday were told the Federal Court would next Wednesday decide on a matter relating to the timing of an extraordinary general meeting.

Footy First, the group seeking to oust Rod Butterss' board, yesterday served the court notice on the club and five directors - Butterss, Ray King, Glen Casey, Mark Kellett and Andrew Bassat.

The Federal Court will effectively determine whether the EGM is held on October 23, Footy First's preferred date, or on November 26.

The court will also be asked to rule on whether any of the directors served with the notice can chair the EGM.

It also emerged yesterday that Footy First had gained 8600 proxies for the election, a figure that effectively gives incumbent directors no hope of surviving the election.

About 23,000 St Kilda members are eligible to vote.

Footy First has headed to the courts largely because it fears the Butterss camp will attempt to make the proxies void.

The challenge group, launched early this month, includes former players Nathan Burke and Andrew Thompson.

It is arguing that the on-going Butterss-Thomas stoush has destabilised the club and that the board has not invested heavily enough in the football department.

Gregorys Transport founder Greg Westaway heads the rival ticket.

==========================================
Geez it's messy... :?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

hopefully it is done and finished on October 23rd. Come on butters, if youre confident you can win why delay it?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rebels take Saints to court

SaintWodonga wrote:
Footy First has headed to the courts largely because it fears the Butterss camp will attempt to make the proxies void.
I'd be furious if Butterss went down this path.

You don't remain in charge of our footy club by a technicality.

I'd go down there myself and remove him if they stayed in because of that.

Q5
Club Player

Don't want to be an alarmist but George W Bush & Florida, anyone???!!!...

noreason41
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:hopefully it is done and finished on October 23rd. Come on butters, if youre confident you can win why delay it?
People like butters don't think that way. He's not confident of winning, but that doesn't stop him wanting to stay on till he's dragged out kicking and screaming.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I find it disappointing that St Kilda Football Club issues that should be decided by the board/members of the club will be decided by a Federal Court Judge !!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rebels take Saints to court

rodgerfox wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:
I'd be furious if Butterss went down this path.

I'd go down there myself and remove him if they stayed in because of that.
Oh. My. God.

Surely he couldn't do that....

If he even contemplates that course of action, every good bit of work he's done for this club will be tarnished forever.

Come on Rod, do the right thing and have the election on October 23.

And really, you should do the right thing and work with the incoming board and give them all the support possible to succeed, rather than trying to fight them.

Unless you think you can win, and given by the fact you haven't even sent out a shread of information, I'm guessing you don't think you can.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

St.Kenny
Club Player

I'm happier for this to go to court rather than have Butters run to the AFL seeking 'impartial' support for his Board. At least the Courts are likely to treat the issues at face value rather than some political response from one of RB's dodgy AFL alliance.
I would have bee a lot happier had Rb and his Board gone to the Courts over 'Baker's corrupt and unfair treatment by the AFL too I might add but that's another story ..............

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

St.Kenny - I don't think anyone minds the court battle if they can help the fair and decent thing happen.

Is it wrong to hope that Rod will come to his senses and do the right thing by the club and its members...?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

It should not go to court. It will cost both the SFF monet that could be put into the club and the current board money of the club to defend it in court.

Surely sanity will have to prevail with this and hold it at the earliest possible time.

This is just ridiculous.

As we watch Geelong win by the greatest margin in VFL/AFL history we see our club tearing itself to pieces.

For the good of the club Rod, please please please let this new mob have a crack. If it fails it fails, but let them have a go.

We need to experience what all those lucky Cat fans are experiencing at this exact moment, and the only way is through stability and allowing a new broom through the place.

We have our good players signed, wil hopefully pick up one or two seniors quality players and get a quality kid in the draft.

Lyon has had a year and will put his stamp on the list in this off season.

Time for the board issue to be put to bed.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
lefty
Club Player

Rod, you've done it again.

Guezz, the writing is on the wall, just accept it and move over.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Well said Joffaboy.

I was at the game today, there were a few classic lines.....one from Harley who thanked the AFL sponsor, and "our sponsor Ford"......without mentioning the name Toyota....beautiful bit of ambushing that would've pissed off Dimwit no end!

The second bit was Bummer giving a special thanks to Frank Costa - their Prez who has given his left lung to both save and then help the club prosper.

Let's learn from the Cats, but I hope to god we don't just copy them in every aspect!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:It should not go to court. It will cost both the SFF monet that could be put into the club and the current board money of the club to defend it in court.

Surely sanity will have to prevail with this and hold it at the earliest possible time.

This is just ridiculous.

As we watch Geelong win by the greatest margin in VFL/AFL history we see our club tearing itself to pieces.

For the good of the club Rod, please please please let this new mob have a crack. If it fails it fails, but let them have a go.

We need to experience what all those lucky Cat fans are experiencing at this exact moment, and the only way is through stability and allowing a new broom through the place.

We have our good players signed, wil hopefully pick up one or two seniors quality players and get a quality kid in the draft.

Lyon has had a year and will put his stamp on the list in this off season.

Time for the board issue to be put to bed.
Great post, Joffa.

You and I may disagree from time to time, but the most important thing we can do now as a club is pull together.

Pro-SFF, Anti-SFF, Pro-RB, Anti-RB, Pro-Lyon, Anti-Lyon, Pro-GT, Anti-GT...I don't think it matters anymore.

Watching today has has just filled me with equal degrees of inspiration and anger. We should be that club, but we're not. Fortunately, what they have done proves that it's really not that hard to do if you do everything - that you can control - correctly.

There are plenty of variables, yes, but you need to minimise your chance of failure whilst maximising your chance of success.

I think what we need to ALL agree on is that we need to SUPPORT SFF - and also SUPPORT RL.

This seems to be the concensus among most people about the best way forward. It's not 100% support, but for now, both offer us a break from the past and a path to the future.

Keep them both honest and accountable - I'm not convinced 100% about either (especially RL) - but by god, we should give them 100% support and tell them we're all in this together.

I think if RB decides to call off the rubbish and hand over power - mate, you've had your go, it's time for new blood - he can salvage much of his reputation and his role in St Kilda's revival.

I just want to win a flag, and right now, backing the SFF-RL combination seems to be our best bet.

St.Kenny
Club Player

I'm not actually wanting to go to court either but I feel sick when I see RB is using the AFL to promote his record of achievement. The AFL are only happy to see us in the black. On field success is clearly not on their wish list for the St.KFC. It would compromise the likely success of the interstae teams for one thing.
The Board (As Nathan Burke rightly pointed out) should be answerable to the St.Kilda members first and foremostly. Amen

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

*sigh*

it all just seems to happen over and over again we are are own wost enemys
come on guy SFF / RB for the sake of the club lets keep things out of the courts and out of the media
draging our brand through the mud is getting old really fast

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/