Keys to success?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Keys to success?

After the astonishing performances of Stevie Johnson and Paul Chapman in the big one today, it got me thinking, just how important part of a premiership-winning (or finals contender) side can two quality small forwards be? Forwards who can kick bags of goals, rack up 20+ touches and apply magnificent pressure 100% of the time when they don't have the ball... Taking a look at some of the finalists and some of their small forwards (off the top of my head).. .this is what I came up with.
NOTE: Will also take into account midfielders who spend time forward and kick goals.

Geelong: Steve Johnson, Paul Chapman ,Gary Ablett, James Kelly

Power: David Rodan, Shaun Burgoyne, Brett Ebert, Danyle Pearce

Roos: Brent Harvey, Daniel Wells, Scott McMahon, Shannon Grant, Andrew Swallow, Ed Sansbury

Pies: Leon Davis, Alan Didak, Dale Thomas, Paul Medhurst

Compare this with us...

Saints: Steve Milne, Aaron Fiora? Lenny Hayes? X Clarke?

Now, I can't be bothered doing all the research, but I'm positive that if you calculate the stats of all the top four side's small crumbing forwards and goal-kicking midfielders - then each of their output will be doubly as good as the combined output of our lot. I think we need to genuinely pursue a quick, hard at it, goal kicking player, in the mould of a Stevie Johnson or Paul Chapman. I think this would complement our talls up there and really add to our side. (Maybe Geary can push for this spot after a good pre season?)

The Saints are coming!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

very good point. we need Dal to step up or at least for Milne to return to his 02-05 form.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

If there was one thing I was critical of Collingwood as pressure forwards, i.e. putting pressure on the opposition defenders when we didnt have the ball. Didak and Medhurst were a little slack in that area but really upped the ante come finals time. Pressure out of F50 is critical.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:If there was one thing I was critical of Collingwood as pressure forwards, i.e. putting pressure on the opposition defenders when we didnt have the ball. Didak and Medhurst were a little slack in that area but really upped the ante come finals time. Pressure out of F50 is critical.
Maybe true, but they kick their fair share of goals those two! Particularly Didak!

The Saints are coming!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

we need a quality small and a quality medium forward

hamill was our medium...now he is gone - thats one hole

we have milne who is as good as any...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Milne is fine, just needs consistency. No doubt he can play. Another dangerous crumber would be handy. And another Aussie Jones line-breaker type.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Spot on. Terrific post.

To play as the Cats do (numbers behind the ball and then run forward into space) you need to have very good half-forwards.

Milne is fine, and X (if he can fix his goal-kicking) is a 25-goal per year HFF in that role for us.

We need another though.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Ferguson who was recruited as a forward, may be the man to play the Hamill role. I would like to see him given a go there anyway.
I dont know why Lennby Hayes waas included on the list as a small forward. Never plays there except when resting. Harvs probably spends more time on the HF line than any of the others.
We badly need to recruit a small/ medium on-baller that can be dangerous around goals. Cyril Rioli. Jnr would be ideal. There are others though. I dont think Armitage or Howard are dangerous around goals, no indication so far. As for Jones, no value on the list.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes can only agree......and mentioned some of that in a string I started a little bit back.

Many forumites keep hanging it on Milne.

Milne is a handy player...but he gets hammered becuse he is our ONLY small to medium forward.

If we had some other small to medium forwards achieving at thelevel required for the saints to bea top 4 team you would find that Milne would be delivering more for us as the opposition would have to cover more of our forwards.

The opposition now that Milne is a danger and so squeeze him week in week out.

Whereas by comparison with the team below you cannot really just try and isolate one player because the others will bob up.

Geelong: Steve Johnson, Paul Chapman ,Gary Ablett, James Kelly

Power: David Rodan, Shaun Burgoyne, Brett Ebert, Danyle Pearce

Roos: Brent Harvey, Daniel Wells, Scott McMahon, Shannon Grant, Andrew Swallow, Ed Sansbury

Pies: Leon Davis, Alan Didak, Dale Thomas, Paul Medhurst

So again Milne is not a problem for us...he is an asset. Our problem is that we do not have any other small to medium forwards.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Spot on. Terrific post.

To play as the Cats do (numbers behind the ball and then run forward into space) you need to have very good half-forwards.

Milne is fine, and X (if he can fix his goal-kicking) is a 25-goal per year HFF in that role for us.

We need another though.
bj is one who comes to mind. also dal is developing a handy knack of being able to kick important goals. could we spare him to play hf? also gilbert?

imo we already have the talent there. just haven't been able to get it together on field.

as i've said many times there's been too much reliance on riewoldt and gehrig to kick us winning scores

hopefully fraser going will enable us to recast the forward line into one that works

i'd set up something like this:

c: gram, hayes, gilbert
hf: dal, riewoldt, bj
f: milne, kosi, brooks

and just move it down there quickly and directly. enough chipalotto