Geelong only need to wait 52 weeks for their next flag

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beekay
SS Life Member

Oh When the Saints wrote: N. Dal Santo = J. Bartel 0
J. Koschitzke = C. Mooney 0
You're going on potential there. Mooney has a big hand in almost all of the Cats' wins. Bartel is consistent and hardly plays a shocker and doesn't vanish for quarters.
Oh When the Saints wrote: J. Selwood = S. Birss 0
Is that a joke?

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote: N. Dal Santo = J. Bartel 0
J. Koschitzke = C. Mooney 0
You're going on potential there. Mooney has a big hand in almost all of the Cats' wins. Bartel is consistent and hardly plays a shocker and doesn't vanish for quarters.
Oh When the Saints wrote: J. Selwood = S. Birss 0
Is that a joke?
I would hope so, Beekay.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

If Geelong don't get any injuries, every other contender gets ten and they get an easy draw again, then they are certainies for the 2008 flag. Then again, if we don't get any injuries and all the contenders get ten and WE get an easy draw (i.e. no more than 3 interstate trips) then we'll win the 2008 flag.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

My list equating Geelong and St Kilda was based on the potential maximum output of St Kilda players, because clearly most of the Geelong team are playing the best football of their careers.

Geelong were a late withdrawal away from being knocked out in the Preliminary Final. Had Josh Fraser played, the Pies would have won IMO and the rest is history.

An incident like that can be the difference between 4th and premier, and the line is a fine one in AFL footy.

To claim we will see 3-4 Geelong premierships in a row is false IMO.

Scarlett does his ACL, Ablett gets concussed and Corey strains a hamstring.

What happens then?

Cats were lucky ... no broken legs, fractured skulls, ACL's, PCL's, collarbones, AC joints ... unpreventable injuries that can happen to anyone.

To declare they will win next year's flag is bandwagoning. They are deserved favourites, and will most likely finish top 2, but from there anything can happen.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Quixote
SS Life Member

I agree that the earmarks of a dynasty are certainly there - they won everything this year, possess a nice mix of youth and experience and don't forget hold the biggest Victorian home-ground advantage.

However, I would think it far too early to be making such statements. It is Geelong after all. And we all know you never can tell. A year is a long time blah blah blah...

To say they will roll into '08 and simply do it all again reeks of easy answer for mine.

They have set a new level - it will be challenged.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

brown-coat wrote:Essendon of 2001 was the greatest team in the history of sporting on planet earth and possibly the known universe
Yeah, so great that they lost the Grand Final by four goals :roll:

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Really? They lost? Really...i didn't know.

??? :roll:

After their flag of 2000 essendon was hailed as the best ever. And coming into 2001 it was going to be a continuation of the mighty dynasty.

Paralells between the cats now.

All Geelong need are a few injuries are they are finished for next year.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:typical premiership bandwagoner

what about the eagles last year...what about their dynasty???

and the power???

the swans???

a year is a long time in football...yet alone a week...
Completely different imho

I never rated West Coast and especially Sydney as having any lasting impact, both teams had obvious weaknesses to exploit and were not that far ahead of the rest of the competition

In fact Sydney were only there through the excellent work from their medical department and I didn't rate them that highly even when they won the premiership

Geelong are a completely different case

and that's not even taking into consideration that Sydney won by 4 points, West Coast 1 point and Geelong 119 points

but if you bothered to take note of this, it might give you even just a tad of insight into how much stronger than the rest of the competition they actually are

Geelong won two finals by over 100 points and won throughout the year approx 10 games by ten goals or more

St.kilda did not have a 10 goal lead in any game for the entire year

getting any warmer?

though not
agree 100%

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Solar
Saintsational Legend

ok I'm going to put two and two together.....

was that lady you wanted to get a GF ticket last week really yourself? I could see you as a cats supporter..... I'm sure we could give them rix if they took you as well barks :roll:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Magnifisaint 35
Club Player

Oh FFS everybody!
why do all of you jump at every single post barks makes like he is stupid! when infact he is the only one posting something that is not biast and outright stupid s***!
Seriously people! geelong beat a team playing for the very same thing as what they were by 119 points! we couldnt even beat richmond by 30 in a home and away match!

yes sometimes when barks goes down the path of bringing up GT i have to roll my eyes and think! here we go again! But mainly for one reason he brings it up! you dillusional ppl live in this imaginary world that GT ran our club well and loves our club so much! when he is running it Into the ground! seriously every point he brings up about GT isnt fake and Innuendo ! it is outright FACT!!

Barks mate! coming from someone who respects you alot and agree's with 99% of Your posts! give up on trying to convince these ppl about GT and just post about other things going on at the club! you wont soar like an eagle when your working with turkey's!
seriosuly some of the dribble you ppl convert to, to try and be comedian's is hilarious! quote:"i think you are capuano barks" seriously that s*** aint funny! im sure thats one decision barks did agree with that GT made. cause everyone knows cappuano was a dud!

Geelong are a mile ahead of us at the moment! and it hurts to say that so much cause 3 years ago we were a fair bit ahead of them! yet again tho we sit here talking about what could have been if this and that had of happened! and they are running amok in the streets of geelong! and the scum of ppl like chapman and mooney are holding a premiership cup above there head's!

YES if everything goes right for us next year we have a chance to share some of this glory! but lets not be dillusional! we HAVE recruited badly over the last few years and it has cost us! and most likely this time next year we will be talking about 09 like where talking about 08 and we were talking about 07 last year!

EVERYONE WHO POSTS ON THIS FORUM IS AFTER THE SAME THING! TO SHARE STKILDA PREMIERSHIP SUCCESS! EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OPINIONS! SO WHY SHOOT SOMEONE DOWN WHO HAS A DIFFERENT ONE TO YOUR'S!

GO SAINTS!!!

One more year for the greatest player of all time! Stay on harvs please!
rexy
SS Life Member

pot kettle black mate. you just called evryone on here a turkey (or something) Not sure that much of the discussion was about Gt, thought the post was about whether we can challenge the cats (or anyone can)

Personally I think we could, the cats are very good but we can be as good if our game plan, our beleif in the game plan and our ability to execute the game plan are all spot on.

Was GT the man to deliver this, probably not, was he driving the club into the ground,I dont think so, just a bloke doing his job the best he could, it wasnt good enough, we move on. Someone else gets a crack and he has made the boys harder and more accountable but if he doesnt realise that we are an attacking football side then we wont have success under him either.

Maybe this year?
Magnifisaint 35
Club Player

Agree about the fact we are a attacking side! and we need to build on our strenghts but we also needed to improve our weakness's which were our pressure and tackling! so hopefuly a full preseason should have us come out firing! but realistically the cats are so far ahead and thats due to bad recruiting and development! for every geelong player ageing and coming towards the end of their career they have a young fresh face ready to replace them! great depth and are all mentally strong! i believe our players are not!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Magnifisaint 35 wrote:Agree about the fact we are a attacking side! and we need to build on our strenghts but we also needed to improve our weakness's which were our pressure and tackling! so hopefuly a full preseason should have us come out firing! but realistically the cats are so far ahead and thats due to bad recruiting and development! for every geelong player ageing and coming towards the end of their career they have a young fresh face ready to replace them! great depth and are all mentally strong! i believe our players are not!
So what do you want to do about it then?? The likes of you and barks continue to bleat and moan about how bad this player is, how we should have draft so and so.....

The season is over, the preperations for 2008 has started. The cats start on 0 points like the other 15 clubs.

Barks if your so set on this view that geelong will win next years flag why not go put your house on them at $3.50........ :roll:

btw a good example of this silly view is that sandy was unbackable favs for the VFL flag at the start of the year because they had won a couple of years in a row. Yet they didn't make the grand final.

Things are never as simplistic as you suggest.

FQF
In richo I trust

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i would be willing to put a fair amount on the pussies NOT to win again in 2008...it's called a premiership hangover....ffs.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:i would be willing to put a fair amount on the pussies NOT to win again in 2008...it's called a premiership hangover....ffs.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
I wonder what odds barks would give us for that?? anything over 50's I would have a go at.

Did you know that 3 of the preliminary finalist did not make the finals in 2006.

One team outside the 8 always seems to make the top 4, a couple of others make the top 8 the year after.

This is being said before list lodgements and trading, let alone the draft and pre-season. What if ablett and bartel go down with knee's before the start of the season and steve johnson goes on a bender and loses his contrac. :roll:

FQF
In richo I trust

Magnifisaint 35
Club Player

ok when have i continued to bleat about how bad this player is? and which player??

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Magnifisaint 35 wrote:ok when have i continued to bleat about how bad this player is? and which player??
no you potted the whole list. (mentally weak)

Plus you say you agree with barks 100%, and he consistantly pots the likes of blake, birss et al.

FQF
In richo I trust

rexy
SS Life Member

Agree on the mental strength thing. In 04 when we were the kids and had no expectations we were able to throw caution to the wind. From round 10 of that year expectation and then fear of failure has been slowly grinding us down IMO. RL has made us harder and has improved our weaknesses lets hope he can get in our heads to.

Had this discussion about Geelongs 2s(VFL side) yesterday I agree they have a few very good players not getting a game, Varcoe Blake Hawkins D Johnson Egan (injured) but they also have their share of guys who arent going to make it Ie Gardiner Playfair.

Maybe this year?
Magnifisaint 35
Club Player

i actually said 99% :wink:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Magnifisaint 35 wrote:i actually said 99% :wink:
Thankgod you think for yourself then. :roll: :wink:

FQF
In richo I trust

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Magnifisaint 35 wrote:Oh FFS everybody!
why do all of you jump at every single post barks makes like he is stupid! when infact he is the only one posting something that is not biast and outright stupid s***!
Seriously people! geelong beat a team playing for the very same thing as what they were by 119 points! we couldnt even beat richmond by 30 in a home and away match!

yes sometimes when barks goes down the path of bringing up GT i have to roll my eyes and think! here we go again! But mainly for one reason he brings it up! you dillusional ppl live in this imaginary world that GT ran our club well and loves our club so much! when he is running it Into the ground! seriously every point he brings up about GT isnt fake and Innuendo ! it is outright FACT!!

Barks mate! coming from someone who respects you alot and agree's with 99% of Your posts! give up on trying to convince these ppl about GT and just post about other things going on at the club! you wont soar like an eagle when your working with turkey's!
seriosuly some of the dribble you ppl convert to, to try and be comedian's is hilarious! quote:"i think you are capuano barks" seriously that s*** aint funny! im sure thats one decision barks did agree with that GT made. cause everyone knows cappuano was a dud!

Geelong are a mile ahead of us at the moment! and it hurts to say that so much cause 3 years ago we were a fair bit ahead of them! yet again tho we sit here talking about what could have been if this and that had of happened! and they are running amok in the streets of geelong! and the scum of ppl like chapman and mooney are holding a premiership cup above there head's!

YES if everything goes right for us next year we have a chance to share some of this glory! but lets not be dillusional! we HAVE recruited badly over the last few years and it has cost us! and most likely this time next year we will be talking about 09 like where talking about 08 and we were talking about 07 last year!

EVERYONE WHO POSTS ON THIS FORUM IS AFTER THE SAME THING! TO SHARE STKILDA PREMIERSHIP SUCCESS! EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OPINIONS! SO WHY SHOOT SOMEONE DOWN WHO HAS A DIFFERENT ONE TO YOUR'S!

GO SAINTS!!!

Great Post.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

A few points.......Geelong were not so much lucky in 2008...as did not have too much bad luck.

Geelong did everything they could to have their players fit......ie new club Doc last May with 2 years experience as head coach of a Premier League Soccer Club in England...hence no lucky dip that they flew a Geelong player to Germany for treatment.

Yes they were lucky in terms of impact injuries...though Egan could not play on GF day...

Geelong have built REAL depth in their list....and wrung the most out of the players that they do have....

Good but flawed players were reformed rather than kicked out....ie Bad boy Stevo went from a 5 week banishment to BOG in the GF.

What the saints have to worry about NOW is doing the BEST in the areas that we can control

*good recruiting aimed at improving the gaps in our list (but please be realistic and do not expect everything to be solve in the 2007 drafts and trades.

*player fitness and conditioning; with Ross Smith and the AIS gus plus Misson this at last looks to be under control.

*developing ALL the players on our list...and not just the chosen ones.... We NEED some of Mini, Watts, Brooks etc to stand up and improve....

And of those in the 22...

Raph needs to improve in a big way...hopefully now that he is fit he can...

X needs to improve his intensity...and to kick straight at goals.

Dal SHOULD be a superstar..but needs to play near his best week in week out and quarter in quarter out. AND we need him to snag a few goals regularly. I might be hard on dal, but this only because he could be breathtaking.

Kosi needs to start putting in like we know he can....

Ball and Gardi both need their operations to go well. Either FULLY fit can and will be good players. IF both could recover in 2008 it would give our Premiership chance a huge boost....and conversely with BOT of them it will be hard to muster the depth of quality players that we need.

Armo, Howard, Geary...as a minimum we need one of these 3 to stand up and crack it for regular games in 2008. Lets hopea big pre-season get armo to the fitness level he needs to be at. Let Misson work him over.

Gilbert... FIND a kicking coach...the boy has talent that is already shining....and a big improvement in his kicking will really give us a spark in 2008.

BJ will no doubt be recovering in early 2008....but Hayes and Goose should be back firing on all cylinders.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 30 Sep 2007 7:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Magnifisaint 35
Club Player

Exactly right saintsrrising! everyone is obsessed with the whole "oh we have such bad luck blah blah blah .. everyone else has such good luck"

geelong did something about there injurys! yes you cant prevent knees and shoulders and broken legs but hammy's and calfs you can!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We need to really poish and hoane what we have....to get 100% of what we have.....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
my les foote
Club Player

Very impressed by B4E's ability to predict Geelong's form 12 months in advance!

You must have made a packet when you backed them for the flag this time last year.

Win it for HIM!