Congrats caseyscorp. Your Saints dream is coming true

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saint Corin wrote:. Logically it would be good in terms of members as there are a heap of young families out this way and it's growing to the buggery.
Why logically....???

Most people apart from new immigrants tend to already follow a team

If a Pies fan lives out that way and starts having bambinos....why would his kids start following the Saints just because they train at Casey?

Said Pie fan will still take their kids to the Pies games at the G or Docklands....and watch ies matches on their TV.

For most in Casey if the saints move there it would make very little difference.

I see this quite different to say the Roos at the Gold Coast...because said Pies fan if he is an ex-Vic will not be able to go to 8-12 home games...whereas he could for the GC Kangaroos.

Plus there are many Gold Coast kids who would either not have an AFL team yet...or who may only loosely follow the Lions...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

There are a lot of footy fans who aren't died-in-the-wool one club supporters thoughs saintsRrising.

And if an AFL team began training and frequenting an area close to where they lived, then for many that would be enough to persuade them to support a different club ... IMO.

Particularly if the club was a successful one

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I just know there are quite a few young families out the South East way, and there is a lot of development going on. Young families who grow up in the area might be inclined to be involved with the saints as they are 'local', etc. Also those who follow other teams loosely might jump on our bandwagon.

Brisbane Lions are aiming for 28,000 members in 08. I dont know the figure for this yer but obviously it is lower than 28k. Put another team up there, and that will take away a few thousand from brisbane. I can't see another team up there getting a lot more members. If we went up their hypothetically we would loose a lot of members who are Vic based.

I dont know how fullproof my thoughts were about Casey being logically good for membership, but I dont see the Gold Coast being much of a promise land for a team.

Carpe Diem
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:

There are a lot of footy fans who aren't died-in-the-wool one club supporters thoughs saintsRrising.
True..

And if an AFL team began training and frequenting an area close to where they lived, then for many that would be enough to persuade them to support a different club ... IMO.

Particularly if the club was a successful one
Not meaning to be difficult...but why???

I mean if they are not died in the wool...why will they be attracted??

Why will it make a difference???

Games will not be there.

Now if you area very keen Saints fan then yes it is great as you can drop in on training. Except that now much of this will be in a new facility and will be indoors out of sight....so you will not actually get to see much. Of the outdoor sessions some will be closed anyway.

Ask yourself what is the Vlaue Proposition that would have them start following the saints over another AFL Club? Personally I cannot see much difference.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 01 Nov 2007 11:06am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saint Corin wrote:I just know there are quite a few young families out the South East way, and there is a lot of development going on. Young families who grow up in the area might be inclined to be involved with the saints as they are 'local', etc. Also those who follow other teams loosely might jump on our bandwagon.

Brisbane Lions are aiming for 28,000 members in 08. I dont know the figure for this yer but obviously it is lower than 28k. Put another team up there, and that will take away a few thousand from brisbane. I can't see another team up there getting a lot more members. If we went up their hypothetically we would loose a lot of members who are Vic based.

I dont know how fullproof my thoughts were about Casey being logically good for membership, but I dont see the Gold Coast being much of a promise land for a team.
Gold Coast next...a promised land for the Roos???

Next year probably not.

Think 20 years time and probably YES.

I went to the Gold Coast Region twenty odd years ago...and it was mainly a coastal strip ....

Today there is a huge hinterland of suburb after suburb of families.......whose only current option is an hours drive to a Lions match every second week. The Gold Coast region is now a siper-city and it is only going to get more and more people who have very limited options to attend AFL games.

Casey-ites will havea choice of several AFL games at Docklands or the MCG every week.....and it is the same trip to watch them irrespective of whether it is the Saints or the Pies or the Tiges playing.

Now if you were actually playing Home Games at Casey that would be different...but the saints will not be.

For the Roos who have very few attending their games anyway in Melbourne it is alow risk option witha very high pay-off:

*Now as the AFl will fund it

*Long -term...as the people are there and the only AFL competition is the Lions once a fortnight an hours drive away.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

If brisbane can't thrive off a one team state, I dont see how 2 teams will work though. It'll take members away from them, attendees to games, talent when draftings etc...

I don't see why Casey is such a bad idea? Im not having a go, but you point out all the flaws in my idea's, and dont suggest an alternative(unless I dont understand and your saying gold coast). Going to Casey with better facilities is hardly going to have a negative effect on team performance. I cant see us loosing members for it. Area has great potential to attract new members(just imo). What is the alternative?

Carpe Diem
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

If you weren't strongly committed to a particular Melbourne team (which all basically play at TD/MCG anyway), then would it not be logical to follow the one which bases itself closest to you?

i.e. you can go along and watch some Saints players in the VFL, attend Saints training etc.

Aggressive marketing in the area with plenty of St Kilda branding around would be critical. Getting Saints players out in the area, at clinics etc.

So the 4-5 times per year you choose to travel up to Melbourne to watch the footy, you would go to the Dome and watch the Saints, as they are a presence in your local area.

IMO.

It's not a strong argument, but I believe if the Saints based themselves there, and with the right combination of marketing, local involvement and developing connections with the area, we could gain a significant boost to our membership and profile.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
Has anyone who complaigned actually been down that way. The council is chock full of money, the facilities are great and the NEW victorians are huge drawing power for new members. It's about 15 minutes further then waverley and we never heard any outcry from hawks supporters over that.

We will still lots of media coverage, we could use one of the dozen fields to train at, thus forever having closed sessions.
Not sure how you are getting there from Waverley, but if its in 15 minutes, you must be in a helicopter, because by car unless its midnight its at least half an hour

The Peanut
Club Player

It's OK for some supporters to be happy if we move to Casey Fields because thay live up the road - but what about the players who live up the road to Moorabbin - Casey is 30 - 40 minutes travel each way? A meeting in the morning and training in the afternoon - hmm.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

move them to Ballarat.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote: If you weren't strongly committed to a particular Melbourne team (which all basically play at TD/MCG anyway), then would it not be logical to follow the one which bases itself closest to you? .

Why...what difference does it make??

i.e. you can go along and watch some Saints players in the VFL,.

true...but I think that is more for the die hards and committed fans rather than the new adoptees..and as the saints players already play at Casey they can already see them...and there is alreadya local link..
Oh When the Saints wrote: attend Saints training etc. .

Most will be in doors and out of site. Ross likes private sessions and so at most there will be one public session. Again watching training is more for die-hards and smitten females rather than the casual fan.

Aggressive marketing in the area with plenty of St Kilda branding around would be critical. Getting Saints players out in the area, at clinics etc..

and why could not the Tigers or the Pies do the same???
So the 4-5 times per year you choose to travel up to Melbourne to watch the footy, you would go to the Dome and watch the Saints, as they are a presence in your local area..

Or you can go ad watch the Pies who will be 5 minutes close by Car for more Melbourne based games than the Saints.

I just don't see the local presence mattering to most.....as it just will not impact them in any real way of benefit.

IMO.

It's not a strong argument, but I believe if the Saints based themselves there, and with the right combination of marketing, local involvement and developing connections with the area, we could gain a significant boost to our membership and profile

Yes there can be some...but I think it would be minor....and nothing to prevent the Pies or others marketing to the same people...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:It's OK for some supporters to be happy if we move to Casey Fields because thay live up the road - but what about the players who live up the road to Moorabbin - Casey is 30 - 40 minutes travel each way? A meeting in the morning and training in the afternoon - hmm.
Indeed...

Plus if you are CLOSE to Daclands you can use the facilities for post game recovery.

Casey is too far away for that...

Liam_G
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:move them to Ballarat.
Seconded :D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saint Corin wrote:If brisbane can't thrive off a one team state, I dont see how 2 teams will work though. It'll take members away from them, attendees to games, talent when draftings etc...

I don't see why Casey is such a bad idea? Im not having a go, but you point out all the flaws in my idea's, and dont suggest an alternative(unless I dont understand and your saying gold coast). Going to Casey with better facilities is hardly going to have a negative effect on team performance. I cant see us loosing members for it. Area has great potential to attract new members(just imo). What is the alternative?

I am not saying that Casey is a bad idea for the Saints....I just cannot see it being a gold-mine of new suppoters. If that is the reason why they moved there then that would be ill-founded.

Now if they can get fantastic training and conditioning facilities there better than other options then that would be a reason to train there.

At the end of the day Casey could well be our only suitable option that can be achieved.

There is not point lusting after the Pies Lexus Centre...we have to facilitate what is achievable..and this may well be Casey.

As for the Roos the facts are;

*They do not have much ofa support base in Melbourne anyway. Their fans do not attend their games.

*If the AFL withdrew their extra funding...they would fold NOW. Today!! So if the AFL will subsidise them up north but not in Melbourne then they should grab it.

GrumpyOne

Haven't we already had this discussion?

Subject has been done to death.

Before long B4 will be on here posting about some supposed todger tugging ferals that live in Cranny, and the whole thread will erupt into a slanging match.

The club will do what is best in their view given all the information that is to hand at the time.

I'd still support them if they played or trained anywhere, and if you are true supporters you would too.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Our team already trains miles away from the Telstra Dome. Has that made a negative impact? NO

We have 30,000 members, and I would imagine about a couple of hundred regularly go to Moorabbin.

Casey Fields is surrounded by a massive football loving population with basically no access to an AFL team within 20 km. The fans down there would lap us up like thirsty cat.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

FAIR DINKUM :evil:

better not be true, if this is what the new board are foisting upon us within five minutes of taking control, then I'll get 100 signatures and there will be another board challenge I shyte you not.

I mean FAIR DINKUM why move out to train and base ourselves in a god forsaken location in sub antartic conditions in the middle of nowhere, where witch trials and ritual animal sacrifices are still the prevailing norm and the locals, more commonly known as the missing link crew are made up of goat riders, tree swingers, alien abductees and moccasin wearing knuckle draggers who spend most of their time swapping swamp cousins and fornicating with other village idiots and stray cattle.

Is this some strange, bizarre attempt to turn us into the "FAMILY" club, I mean look what they did to Charlton Heston, no good can come from this.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
HarveysDeciple

way closer for me lol.

But thats a selfish point of view.

If true, will miss Moorabbin greatly.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Why not the Gold Coast?

I'd see the boys train about as much as I would if they were in Queensland or Casey.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Why not the Gold Coast?

You've already got a thread on that one ...

GrumpyOne

barks4eva wrote:FAIR DINKUM :evil:

better not be true, if this is what the new board are foisting upon us within five minutes of taking control, then I'll get 100 signatures and there will be another board challenge I shyte you not.

I mean FAIR DINKUM why move out to train and base ourselves in a god forsaken location in sub antartic conditions in the middle of nowhere, where witch trials and ritual animal sacrifices are still the prevailing norm and the locals, more commonly known as the missing link crew are made up of goat riders, tree swingers, alien abductees and moccasin wearing knuckle draggers who spend most of their time swapping swamp cousins and fornicating with other village idiots and stray cattle.

Is this some strange, bizarre attempt to turn us into the "FAMILY" club, I mean look what they did to Charlton Heston, no good can come from this.
Only surprise with that post is that it took so long to surface. Sh1t usually floats better than that.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

HarveysDeciple wrote:way closer for me lol.

But thats a selfish point of view.
You wouldn't be the only one advocating that point of view just quietly.....

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

B4E, mocassin wearing knuckle draggers have not hindered Collingwood's cause, have they? :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:[

Only surprise with that post is that it took so long to surface. Sh1t usually floats better than that.

:wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Liam_G wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:move them to Ballarat.
Seconded :D

Lets challenge the board and start a MOVE TO BALLARAT movement!! :D