Clayton Collard?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Clayton Collard?

Anyone know why he was given the chop from Freo so quickly?

I remember a few posters here hoping we would draft him. He's very quck, but does he have a bad attitude?

Would he be worth a gamble in PSD?

I'd like to know more about him and why he was chopped before I make a call one way or the othe ron him.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Saints94
SS Life Member

Don't forget about Caleb Mourash worth giving him a go

Saints94
SS Life Member

Clayton Collard info

Collard was one of the most exciting juniors in the 2006 NAB AFL Draft and was surprisingly still available when the Dockers had their first selection at No.31. Originally from South Fremantle, Collard represented his state at junior level in 2004 (under-16s), as well as 2005-06 (under-18). Unlike most 2006 draftees, Collard played senior football in his state last season and booted 15 goals in his nine senior WAFL games including a bag of five on debut in Round 6. As a junior he performed best as a floating half-forward who won the ball through the midfield and pushed forward to be a scoreboard threat.

182cm

90kg

born: 4th december 1988

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I would like us to have a go with him unless he does have a serious attitude problem or something like that, he has a lot of potential and I was expecting pretty big things from him but Freo probably delisted him for a reason...

If there's no better option he can always be a rookie.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
SaintWodonga
Club Player

homework wrote:Clayton Collard info

Collard was one of the most exciting juniors in the 2006 NAB AFL Draft and was surprisingly still available when the Dockers had their first selection at No.31. Originally from South Fremantle, Collard represented his state at junior level in 2004 (under-16s), as well as 2005-06 (under-18). Unlike most 2006 draftees, Collard played senior football in his state last season and booted 15 goals in his nine senior WAFL games including a bag of five on debut in Round 6. As a junior he performed best as a floating half-forward who won the ball through the midfield and pushed forward to be a scoreboard threat.

182cm

90kg

born: 4th december 1988
Reading the above, you'd have a crack wouldn't you? But reading between the lines something is missing for Freo to chop him.... Maybe less risk than Sampi?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Apparently after his debut (against the Saints in Round 8), he got really cocky and over-confident, and just believed he had it made.

Clearly Harvey wanted to send the message out by sacking him.

From what I've read, I don't believe there are other problems, just a poor attitude.

If Lyon was confident that he could straighten it out, then IMO Collard could be a good footballer for us.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

A 19 year old with his reputation... I'd be very surprised if he was availble at pick 9 in the PSD... or do we have pick 8 :?

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:A 19 year old with his reputation... I'd be very surprised if he was availble at pick 9 in the PSD... or do we have pick 8 :?
id be very surprised if Fremantle dont repick him with one of their latter picks in the draft, or at the least with their PSD pick

I believe Collard is training with them at the moment?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
Armoooo wrote:A 19 year old with his reputation... I'd be very surprised if he was availble at pick 9 in the PSD... or do we have pick 8 :?
id be very surprised if Fremantle dont repick him with one of their latter picks in the draft, or at the least with their PSD pick

I believe Collard is training with them at the moment?
Is he able to go in the national draft?
if so I wouldn't mind us taking him with pick 42 or whatever we have, if not then definately 58.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I think he would be a good pick up at 58...

Saints94
SS Life Member

He didn't play that well in the W.A.F.L I think freo brang him in the side because of aboriginal round (9)

Brian Collis
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:Apparently after his debut (against the Saints in Round 8), he got really cocky and over-confident, and just believed he had it made.

From what I've read, I don't believe there are other problems, just a poor attitude.

If Lyon was confident that he could straighten it out, then IMO Collard could be a good footballer for us.
After getting 1 kick for the match?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:He didn't play that well in the W.A.F.L I think freo brang him in the side because of aboriginal round (9)
a football team is not going to BRING him into the side due to the colour of skin or the nature of the themed round

to think that is just laughable

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Brian Collis wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:Apparently after his debut (against the Saints in Round 8), he got really cocky and over-confident, and just believed he had it made.

After getting 1 kick for the match?
But it was a goal... so good efficiency rating.. 8-)

The Saints are coming!
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:
homework wrote:He didn't play that well in the W.A.F.L I think freo brang him in the side because of aboriginal round (9)
a football team is not going to BRING him into the side due to the colour of skin or the nature of the themed round

to think that is just laughable
Well thats what the Bulldogs did it in Round 9 bringing in Cam Faulkner because it was Aboriginal Round :roll:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

It sounds like Collard has some pretty big attitude issues that need to be addressed:

ATTITUDE = RISK = NO !!

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:It sounds like Collard has some pretty big attitude issues that need to be addressed:

ATTITUDE = RISK = NO !!
ATTITUDE = LESS RISK THAN alcohol issues, drug issues, homesickness issues, injury issues, mental illness issues, violence issues etc.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
Eastern wrote:It sounds like Collard has some pretty big attitude issues that need to be addressed:

ATTITUDE = RISK = NO !!
ATTITUDE = LESS RISK THAN alcohol issues, drug issues, homesickness issues, injury issues, mental illness issues, violence issues etc.
But, if ATTITUDE includes any of these it spells trouble. I don't know either way !!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

S.Johnson and G.Ablett had attitude issues before this season.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:S.Johnson and G.Ablett had attitude issues before this season.
For every Johnson or Ablett there is a Beetham !!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
No risk = no return...

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
Eastern wrote:
No risk = no return...
True, the greater the risk the greater the return, + or - !!

St Igmata
Club Player

They say poison is better outside than inside.

jill
Club Player

Wonder how many of these posters saying NO to Collard said YES to Cousins? :roll:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

This years draft offers a lot of talented, but flawed players that can be recycled...

Indeed this year in particular presents an unusual quantity of such players.

Some will be given second chances.....Collard I expect to be one of them.

Some may even be given third chances....ie maybe Watts.

Such players needed to be treated with caution and obtained at a cheap price.

So far with Schneider, King, Dempster and C Gardiner we have done extremely well in terms of quality gained for the price paid.

As there are so many rejected players...as long as you are not fixated on any one particular player their should be some value on offer....but no need to waste either of our first two picks which should be kept for kids but yes pick 58 on (and the PSD) could be used for such a player.

Collard at 58......would bea good pick up provided RL believes he can get on top of his attitude problems.

However I think Ross has clearly laid his cards on the table that there is no room at the Saints for ANY player that is not prepared to work his guts out.

Players with a poor work ethic and/or workrate have featured strongly in the clean out....and in my view players with such traits would not be likely to feature in RL's pick ups.

We do know that Ross is keen to have another mid or two.....and that he would like someone if possible that is ready to play now. We know that he entertained getting Cousins....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....