Classic Plugger

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Classic Plugger

For a bit of off season entertainment, check out this video of St.K v Syd 1994. The picture quality's not very good, but you've got to love Plugger's aggro.
Also, can someone tell me who the long tall beanpole wearing #30 for the Saints is?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

wayne thornborrow....a sth aussie ruckman...only played about a dozen games.......
Last edited by stinger on Wed 07 Nov 2007 1:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Sainterman
Club Player

Could it be Laurence Bingham?

And sheesh Plugger was good! I was at that game and it was unbelievable to get up and win it! :P

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:wayne thornborrow....a sth aussie ruckman...only played about a dozen games.......
thanks Stinger

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Such a game that was! Came back from 48 points down in the last quarter iirc.

I was in year 9 and I remember turning up to school the next day with a bit of a spring in my step. :D :D

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

It is amazing that for such an unsuccessful club that we have had so many high quality players...
Robert Harvey - Best Ever Midfielder
Ian Stewert - 3 time brownlow medalist
Tony Lockett - Best FF Ever

And they are just a few...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:It is amazing that for such an unsuccessful club that we have had so many high quality players...

Plugger was for mine the most exciting player I've seen. More so than Ablett.
For a bloke who was 6'5" he was incredibly quick over the first ten metres and had an amzing spring. Deadeye kick and he had the mongrel in him.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Tony Lockett - Best FF Ever
agree. he would have ripped peter hudson's head off and snapped it through from about 40 ... left foot and on the run.

lockett won us dozens of games in a similar manner to this memorable one against the swans. the most dominant player i've seen

Beej
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:the most dominant player i've seen
Would have to be. Unplayable due to his size and extremely talented for a big man.

Banger's been asked a few times who he thought was the best player he's ever seen and he's always answered Lockett.

He would kick 10 on Silvagni and people would be complimenting Silvagni on how well he played to hold Plugger to 10 - the full-back of the century. That's how dominant Plugger was.

Don't forget in those days you were allowed to chop arms and put your hands in backs.

GrumpyOne

OLB wrote: Don't forget in those days you were allowed to chop arms and put your hands in backs.
Not something you did to Plugger twice in a match. :lol:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:[
Banger's been asked a few times who he thought was the best player he's ever seen and he's always answered Lockett.
i asked plugger once who was the best player he had ever seen...he said it would have to be harvey.......and that was some years ago...

...so...in their eyes..we have had the two greatest players to play the game....

...me...i make it the four greatest players to have ever played.....stewart and doc were truly unbelievable players.....some rate stewart the best ever...others , the doc.......i would hate to have to rank them.........ditterich wasn't far behind them either......

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
OLB wrote:[
i asked plugger once who was the best player he had ever seen...he said it would have to be harvey.......and that was some years ago...

...so...in their eyes..we have had the two greatest players to play the game....

...me...i make it the four greatest players to have ever played.....stewart and doc were truly unbelievable players.....some rate stewart the best ever...others , the doc.......i would hate to have to rank them.........ditterich wasn't far behind them either......
Now imagine when players such as Dal Santo, Reiwoldt and Koschitzke finish their careers with 5 premierships under them.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Armoooo wrote:It is amazing that for such an unsuccessful club that we have had so many high quality players...

Plugger was for mine the most exciting player I've seen. More so than Ablett.
For a bloke who was 6'5" he was incredibly quick over the first ten metres and had an amzing spring. Deadeye kick and he had the mongrel in him.
Plugger was/is 190cm or 6'3", although I'm told that 2" extra would make a world of difference :roll: :wink: !!

St George
Club Player

Touché Eastern!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Plugger was/is 190cm or 6'3"
he was about 6'3" across the shoulders, too. made him nigh on impossible to get around in marking contest.

most of the time anything he got his hands to would stick. and you could just about write it down as a goal most of the time.

an awesome freak.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Eastern wrote:Plugger was/is 190cm or 6'3"
he was about 6'3" across the shoulders, too. made him nigh on impossible to get around in marking contest.

most of the time anything he got his hands to would stick. and you could just about write it down as a goal most of the time.

an awesome freak.

You're right Carl, width is just as important as length.

yipper
SS Life Member

He simply owned Moorabbin didn't he. He was an amazing player - just so powerful and yet so skillful. Plugger was nigh unbeatable. He would threaten his opponent not to hold him or else - and he meant it!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

apparently nigel smart lined up on him in his first afl game and scragged plugger illegally early on.

lockett told him if he tried it again he wouldn't see the sun go down ... and he meant it. kicked 12

SB10
Club Player

I was at that game with a bunch of Saints fans on the old SCG hill. The place went nuts. Will go down in my Top 5 greatest ever Saints games.

Without doubt Plugger is the best player I've seen. He had absolutely every skill in the book. I used to got to training just to watch him. Because of his size he rarely left the square but his skills by hand and foot (left and right) were "Darren Jarman" like. You only ever saw this on the training track.

He was also the master of the 50m bullet pass. The players hated being on the end of it because it was like trying to catch a grenade. It was all a bit of fun for the great man.........

Was devastated when he left, but unfortunately it was for the good of the team. And it kills me these days to hear him speak more fondly of his days in Sydney than at St Kilda.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

what was the best game you saw lockett play for st kilda?

my personal favourite was against carlton at moorabbin the day he kicked 10 on silvagni and won it for us with virtually the last kick of the day.

another one that stands out in the memory was a match against hawthorn at the mcg in the late 80s/early 90s. lockett kicked 9 against a hawthorn side at the peak of its powers. we lost, but he played an unbelieveable game

i once saw him kick 12 straight (out of 14) against melbourne at the mcg in a losing side.

complete freak

maverick
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:apparently nigel smart lined up on him in his first afl game and scragged plugger illegally early on.

lockett told him if he tried it again he wouldn't see the sun go down ... and he meant it. kicked 12
Story is correct...player is wrong.
Was a redhead called Maynard I think.
It was the day we won by 131 points at Moorabbin back in 1991.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

....the one at the scg was my favorite.....plugger was coping it right from the start from the sydney fans...he had been out of the side for awhile....his first lead was to the left..the ball sailed over his head...next was to the right...again he didn't quite get it right...he was being heckled...the ball was kicked high to the right facing the goal...plugger started to run hard to get there...caven was running with the flight of the ball...looking upwards and slightly behind...he never knew what hit him...i thought he was dead...it was right in front of me.....we had seats in the stand behind the goals but i preferred to sit at ground level, near the wing....anyway no one really went to the afl in sydney in those days and you could pretty much sit where you liked.....my wife was with me ,plus i think three of my kids....they carted caven off.......i said to the swans fans around me...that's one down, 21 to go...next ,three swans players tried to scrag plugger....one ended up being slammed into the ground ..another into the hoardings....next plugger dropped a knee into a very young robbie neill...he was carted off...i said that's two down 20 to go...we were getting flogged nevertheless..and the crowd around me were paying out big time......at halftime ,as plugger left the ground he asked the umpire if there was a problem with the caven incident..he was assured there wasn't...i didn't think there was much in it ..of an illegal nature..i hadn't seen the elbow come out....

..anyway i decided that for the safety of the kids it would be better to take our seats in the stand......they were near the end but in the first row.....we could see right down the ground......the swans fans around me were as cocky as all get out....laughing and saying that whilst they were thrashing us we were only the wooden spooners...that the saints were s***.....i kept my mouth shut......

...at three quarter time we were 47-48 points down......a hopeless position.....anyway, barrassi tried to save the game..not ensure that the swans won it...he took kickett away from frawley who was playing chb..and stationed him just in front of plugger...thornborrow was winning in the ruck..and the saints started getting the ball out to frawley who was playing loose around the centre ...he merely had to chip the ball over to plugger...plugger did the rest.......as the goals mounted i started to get the feeling that we could win this....i remember plugger running into the goals and kicking the ball low ...trying to take the head off of that white haired pr!ck who used to hog the limelight whenever the swans would sing their song...pity he missed.....

...the swans fans around me became deathly quiet...even the ff who was sitting right behind me and had been giving me a hard time...and even abusing my kids if they dared to barrack for their sainters.......just before the siren another goal put us a point.up.

.when the siren sounded..i turned around and said...every dog has their day arsehole.......he was most indignant...told me he was a barrister and would have me arrested.....i said nothing...just laughed and walked away...came across him a few years later in a professional capacity...he obviously didn't remember me...but that's another story..........

i think walking out of the ground, i hugged a very drunk molly...could have been another year though...but i do remember just having to look at another saints supporter to break out in laughter......and have that supporter laugh back....you would have thought someone had died by the looks on the faces of swan supporters...i hate them still to this day......

in the wash up...mike sheahan and barrassi kicked up enough of a storm between them to have lockett charged..and that ff collo threaten to charge plugger with bringing the game into disrepute for trying to decapitate the old guy........the rest is history.
Last edited by stinger on Fri 09 Nov 2007 2:08pm, edited 2 times in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SB10 wrote:I

Was devastated when he left, but unfortunately it was for the good of the team. And it kills me these days to hear him speak more fondly of his days in Sydney than at St Kilda.
that's a fallacy perpetuated by pr!cks like sheahan who basically hounded plugger out of victoria.....

..we would have won the premiership in 97 with lockett...and he would have had his premiership medallion.......a tragedy he left.....

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

People forget too that he is/was significantly asthmatic. Used to see him load up on Ventalin pre-game when everyone else was warming up. Explained why his 2nd halves were never quite as destructive as his first. How many times did we see him kick 7-8 in a half and end up with 10-11 for the game?

Never kicked 10 in a half to my knowledge. Closest he went was that game v Adelaide in 1991. He kicked his 10th just before half time but it was disallowed as he'd played on after the umpire blew time on. Hit the post with the re-kick.

Cheer Squads sledged him at their peril. One of his favorite party tricks if he was running into an open goal was to fire a laser-guided football missile at 500mph about a foot above the fence into the offending Cheer Squad. Took out that old Swans codger who leads their song one day at the SCG and he filed a complaint lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Terrific story stinger.

I wish I could remember Lockett in his St Kilda days :(

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.