Traffic and the weather- schneider will learn

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Traffic and the weather- schneider will learn

http://saints.com.au/Season2007/News/Ne ... wsId=53251

Schneider out to seize “new opportunityâ€

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Nice article

Sounds like he is fitting in well.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

I like the part where he states that he wants to blossom as a footballer by playing more in the midfield - I'm pretty sure we as supporters all harbour the same ambitions for Schneids - we need a bit of pace in there desperately!

The Saints are coming!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

still cant believe weve got this bloke

i remember watching the qualifying finals two years back and seeing Schneider put the swans back in the game and i was thinking, gee i wish we had someone like him - and what do you know

hated him after the preliminary against us...he single handedly won them the game in the last quarter

lets hope he can lead us to premiership sucsess in 2008 if not 2009

midas_touch
Club Player

Saintbot wrote:hated him after the preliminary against us...he single handedly won them the game in the last quarter
That loss definitely cut deep, with him being the guy chiefly responsible for that. Hopefully he can reproduce games like those in our colours next year.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:still cant believe weve got this bloke

i remember watching the qualifying finals two years back and seeing Schneider put the swans back in the game and i was thinking, gee i wish we had someone like him - and what do you know
hated him after the preliminary against us...he single handedly won them the game in the last quarter

lets hope he can lead us to premiership sucsess in 2008 if not 2009
My thoughts exactly - wanted a player like that and thought...if only...

Impressed by his maturity to get on with it - clearly is another with enormous respect for Lyon as a coach.......and yer a move into the midfield would be huge for us.

“Yeah….nah””
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Simple article with simple messages - I liked it. Even with supporter eyes on he says the right things. Good to have him here so far.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'd give anything to get this boy fit and firing in St Kilda colours.

He's most exciting signing since Hamill.

My only lingering concern is that he'll be a bit of a Heath Black type, who never quite took to this club like he should have, and will scurry back to what he knows best.

I hope to god it isn't so, and it's just a case of me still struggling to get my head around the fact we picked him up so cheaply.

When he kicks his first goal on the run, I'll lose the plot with happiness.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Superboot
SS Life Member

He cheesed me off last time he played against us with his staging for frees, but if does the same for us I won't mind quite so much!

Actually, I'll now give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he has that rarely neurological disorder where pain that should be experienced in the upper body is subjectively experienced in the facial area, causing the victim to fall to the ground holding his head.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:I think he has that rarely neurological disorder where pain that should be experienced in the upper body is subjectively experienced in the facial area, causing the victim to fall to the ground holding his head.
Lucky he doesn't have that that rare neurological disorder where pain that should be experienced in the lower body is subjectively experienced in the facial area, causing the victim to fall to the ground holding his head.

:D

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Traffic and the weather- schneider will learn

[quote="saintbrat"]http://saints.com.au/Season2007/News/Ne ... wsId=53251

Schneider out to seize “new opportunityâ€

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:I'd give anything to get this boy fit and firing in St Kilda colours.

agree everton..to think that we got him and dempster for pick 26 makes me shale my head in amazement

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
HarveysDeciple

Seemed to have that uncanny knack of getting the swans back in a game.

Whenever they dropped 4 or 5 goals down in a game he would kick some miraculous goal or turn on a great 5 minutes and all of a sudden they were alive again.

Would love someone to be able to spark us like that.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

From Osborne, eh?

I didn't realise that Schneider was the third upper Murray German boy to be recruited to our forward line in recent years (Kosi and G-Train being the others).

We seem to be on to a good thing here. :D

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I'd give anything to get this boy fit and firing in St Kilda colours.

Big call Everton, but geez I hope you are correct.

Am still wrapt that we got him and to a lesser extent King (plus some depth in Dempster and C Gardiner) all for #26 (#90 isn't really a pick).

If only one out of the four come good we ware in front. Imagine two or three coming good for us.

I really hope Schneider works out for us. Will be great to have some pressure on Milne up forward to hold his spot.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Big call Everton, but geez I hope you are correct.

Am still wrapt that we got him and to a lesser extent King (plus some depth in Dempster and C Gardiner) all for #26 (#90 isn't really a pick).

If only one out of the four come good we ware in front. Imagine two or three coming good for us.

I really hope Schneider works out for us. Will be great to have some pressure on Milne up forward to hold his spot.
It certainly was a great trade period.

And to be honest Joffa, it's probably not that big a call because since that meretorious Friday in October 2000, we really haven't snared any big names at trade week.

Gram, Watts and Penny were all traded for top 25 picks, and while they seemed like good trades (at the time), I felt we paid around the market value for each - they were all being picked on potential, not what they'd acheived. Likewise Brooks (6 + 35).

I was excited about Guerra coming as I felt he was nicely under-priced by Port; to see him go for nothing was gutting for me, I knew he'd kick on once a club showed some faith in him.

Black had probably achieved the most (traded for Pick 17) when he came here and was one I was quite excited by, but Schneider has achieved far more than what Black had when he joined us in 2002 (he's obviously kicked on to be a excallent player with Fremantle since leaving).

He's already won several matches off his own boot (including a final) and provides us with exactly what we need in the way of a goal-kicking midfielder.

To think he came with Dempster thrown in is just fantastic, and with King (likely first-choice ruck) and Gardiner (back-up forward) adding depth, and our list of players who can actually have an impact appears to have improved considerably on what it was last year.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:To think he came with Dempster thrown in is just fantastic, and with King (likely first-choice ruck) and Gardiner (back-up forward) adding depth, and our list of players who can actually have an impact appears to have improved considerably on what it was last year.
Hopefully seeing what Steve Johnson has done and has ignited a fire within Charlie Gardiner. There's no reason why he couldn't occupy that kind of role for us if he puts in the same kind of work that Johnson did last year. Dempster's probably got more people to beat for a regular job, but he's got some talent. It'll be very interesting to see how the two 'throw-ins' fare next season.

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:From Osborne, eh?

I didn't realise that Schneider was the third upper Murray German boy to be recruited to our forward line in recent years (Kosi and G-Train being the others).

We seem to be on to a good thing here. :D
yea meher baba, we might even recruit ben mcEvoy... which will make it 4/4!

Go saints in '09!
sasaint
Club Player

I watched the 06 Grand Final again and Schnieder was an absolute gun. Reminded me a lot of Aussie Jones with great run and a great penetrating kick. He played a midfield role in that game and was part of the reason why the swans got back in the game. It is hard to undertstand why the Swans let him go.

As for Dempster and Gardiner, I am hoping that the fact that their old teams had to (effectively) pay the Saints to take them will really put some fire in their belly, and they show what they really can do. Gardiner in particular has always never lived up to his potential and this will be his big chance to make a statement. There are loads of examples of players who have become guns after being dumped by their initial team.

If this is what Ross can get out of the trade period I can't wait to see what he turns up in the draft :wink:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:I watched the 06 Grand Final again and Schnieder was an absolute gun.
Watch the last quarter of the '05 prelim - if you can bear it - and you'll get goosebumps about the talent we've snapped up.
If this is what Ross can get out of the trade period I can't wait to see what he turns up in the draft :wink:
So long as the smokeys are taken late, I'll be happy.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: And to be honest Joffa, it's probably not that big a call because since that meretorious Friday in October 2000, we really haven't snared any big names at trade week.
yeah fair point everton. I too thought the same as you re the recruits post Hamill. I suppose my thoughts were the impact Hamill had on the team. Hamill was an inspiration and was missed terribly once he got his bad injury run.

Schneider isn't the same type of player as Hamill obviously, but if he can have that type of impact on our forward line (although not physically) it will be a major coup for the Saints.

We will have a new look forward structure next season. No obvious FF like Frasier, and with Schneider, it will be much more flexible.

Will be interesting what Ross Lyon and the coaches have in mind post Gehrig. I think we did get a big clue with the recruitment of Schneider.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
evertonfc wrote: And to be honest Joffa, it's probably not that big a call because since that meretorious Friday in October 2000, we really haven't snared any big names at trade week.
yeah fair point everton. I too thought the same as you re the recruits post Hamill. I suppose my thoughts were the impact Hamill had on the team. Hamill was an inspiration and was missed terribly once he got his bad injury run.
Kind of glad he's gone, in a perverse way.

Now he's not on our list, we can't wheel out the we'll-be-so-much-better-when-he's fit line. He hasn't been fit since early 2005.

A great shame, because even the supporters walked into the stadium a foot taller knowing he was playing. Can't imagine what a lift it gave the players when he played, but equally, how easy it came to pass-the-buck when he didn't front.

I hope it leads our players to actually pull their collective fingers out and realise Hammer isn't around to save them - or to be lamented if he wasn't.

Still, his signing was one of the biggest in the club's history. Probably the biggest since Jezza; and he was coming into his prime.

He may not of played his best footy with us individually, but his output, teamwise, was probably something only St Kilda supporters could understand.

A born winner who never gave up, and who put his body on the line time and again - and who bailed us out many times - he'll be sorely missed.

But from crisis springs opportunity.

Perhaps Michael Gardiner will get himself fit and fill something of the enforcer role?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Perhaps Michael Gardiner will get himself fit and fill something of the enforcer role?
We still have Lenny and Baker....
I was always hoping that Rix could develop into that role, could you imagine a guy as mobile and big as rix hammering you to the ground, you'd think twice before going for the ball again wouldn't you...
But alas it was not to be...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
evertonfc wrote: Perhaps Michael Gardiner will get himself fit and fill something of the enforcer role?
I was always hoping that Rix could develop into that role, could you imagine a guy as mobile and big as rix hammering you to the ground, you'd think twice before going for the ball again wouldn't you...
No offence champ, but Lenny is anything but an enforcer. He cops the hits, a bit like Scotty West, but he doesn't give them out.

Baker is a midfield enforcer that's true, but he generally focuses on destablisling a single opponant.

And just because Rix pushed that Hawthorn bloke over the boundary line, well, I wouldn't read too much into that ;)

What I like about about Gardiner is that he throws his weight around. He protects his midfielders. Hamill's ability to protect forwards and midfielders was a massive asset and we'll miss it a lot.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
No offence champ, but Lenny is anything but an enforcer. He cops the hits, a bit like Scotty West, but he doesn't give them out.

Baker is a midfield enforcer that's true, but he generally focuses on destablisling a single opponant.

And just because Rix pushed that Hawthorn bloke over the boundary line, well, I wouldn't read too much into that ;)

What I like about about Gardiner is that he throws his weight around. He protects his midfielders. Hamill's ability to protect forwards and midfielders was a massive asset and we'll miss it a lot.
As for Lenny, I have seen him throw his weight around many a time, he is probalby the best tackler at the club along with Gilbo and Ball... Look at that youtube footage against Brisbane...
As for Baker, you're probably right he usually does tend to stick to one opponent, but I wouldn't mind seeing him going up to a plyer who is giving Dal a bit of a tough time and just laying him out (preferably legally)
As for Rix, I didn't even see him do that to the hawks player, I have never seen him do anything remotely enforcing I was just saying him because of his sheer size....

As for Gardiner it would be great but I just don't see him taking that role, from all we hear he is as fragile as he's ever been...

As for an outsider what about Gilbert, he doesn't need to be too physical but if a player is having a bit too much of a say in the game or if they are giving one of our midfielders a hard time a bone crunching tackle from Gilbo could sort them out...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!