Dal Santo or Hall?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Huzzad
Club Player

Dal Santo or Hall?

As we all know, for our trade of Barry Hall we got a draft pick and selected a guy named Nick Dal Santo. At first I was really sorry to see Barry go. Despite the suspensions and all the agro, I thought he was just about to turn to corner...and he did, and went to Sydney. But I must say we got a great deal out of it in the end with Nick Dal Santo, who I feel, is a far better player.

I know we all hate Barry now but does anyone actually wish we had kept him instead?

bozza1980
Club Player

I wish we had of been able to keep him.

However like Lockett before him, it was necessary for both club and individual that he move on.

Had Hall stayed he wouldn't be the player he is now, he needed a change and we got a good deal at the end of the day, so it was the right thing for all involved.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

bozza1980 wrote:I wish we had of been able to keep him.

However like Lockett before him, it was necessary for both club and individual that he move on.

Had Hall stayed he wouldn't be the player he is now, he needed a change and we got a good deal at the end of the day, so it was the right thing for all involved.
Barry, agreed, Plugger, no way.... I dont get why it was necassary for him to move on... I honestly think we didnt fight hard enough or offer him enough to keep him... And Im sick of hearing all these football supporters who recon he was a better player at the swans, and the move was ogod for his football... Rubbish... He was a far better player at stkilda, and he wasnt appreciated enough by the coaching staff at the time..

As you can guess i still havnt gotten over losing plugger...

As for the original quesiton, Im glad we got rid of Hall.... He aint that great and he will decline quickly.. his 07 season was rubbish, and ill guess that GTrain will be of more value from here on in than Barry, and that will only be 2 years at best..

Huzzad
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:I wish we had of been able to keep him.

As for the original quesiton, Im glad we got rid of Hall.... He aint that great and he will decline quickly.. his 07 season was rubbish, and ill guess that GTrain will be of more value from here on in than Barry, and that will only be 2 years at best..
Actually, you're right. I prefer the G-Train to Hall. Both have up and down games but the G-Train has way more character than that boofhead. And at least when he fights it is funny to watch as opposed to us guessing whether the suspension will be 4 or 5 weeks....

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Saint Mik
Club Player

Hard one to awswer

I would give anything to have that intimitadtion(spelling) out on the ground again.

Dal is a GOOD player but is not up there in the ranks that evryone seems to put him IMO.

If you could have Halls onfeild leadership back at the Saints like he has done for the Swans i would be keen for Hall rather than Dal.

Both players have not had the best results that they can deliver in the last couple of seasons but i do think that Halls infuence on other players both team and opposition is greater than Dals so if i was to have both of them in front of me and needed to pick one for my side i think i would take Hall before Dal.

Never going to happen but you did ask the question so thats my answer i suppose :wink:

We all loved Hamills ability for this very reason but IMO Hall is a better player than Hamill was and is still out there without the injury concerns going forward.

Hall was injured this year so his output on the ground was not up to scratch.

Saying things like Fraser will give more than Hall is just being one eyed IMO Hall is a VERY good player its just a shame that we didnt have the right people in place at the Saints to keep our players at the time like we seem to have now, but thats history.

By the way i hate Hall also but i also rate him as a player, Goose still owes him one but it will never happen and thats why he is worth every cent he gets, when it comes down to it its players like Hall that can make the difference between being in finals or getting the job done.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
HarveysDeciple

Didn't we get 2 draft picks for Hall?

Does anyone know if thats true, and if so what did we use the other pick on?

If it was pick 37 or something it may have been the Joey pick.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:Didn't we get 2 draft picks for Hall?

Does anyone know if thats true, and if so what did we use the other pick on?

If it was pick 37 or something it may have been the Joey pick.
Correct.

They walk amongst us...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

we got 3 actually... 1 of them was on traded to Freo for Heath Black

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

So essentially we traded one B. Hall for the following 2008-year players.

Nick Dal Santo
Leigh Montagna
Aaron Fiora

I think we won.

Huzzad
Club Player

Otiman wrote:So essentially we traded one B. Hall for the following 2008-year players.

Nick Dal Santo
Leigh Montagna
Aaron Fiora

I think we won.
Looking at the quality of those 3, I am glad we got rid of Hall now.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:
Otiman wrote:So essentially we traded one B. Hall for the following 2008-year players.

Nick Dal Santo
Leigh Montagna
Aaron Fiora

I think we won.
Looking at the quality of those 3, I am glad we got rid of Hall now.
Most of it would be put down to good selection at the draft table. There are quite a few players picked higher than NDS that aren't playing AFL footy anymore.

Saint Mik
Club Player

It is a win win situation when you look at that.

We got some good players and Hall had a huge part in getting them a premiership.

Although his day in september was a bit of a :oops:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

We had pick 37 (Montagna) in the first place.
We got #13 (Dal Santo) and #17 (on-traded for Heath Black) frmo the Swans.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

well...boofhead will be gone in a year or two....dal and joey will still be sainters.....joey wasn't part of the hall deal though....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I'm pretty sure that we traded Hall for 3 picks, pick 13, 17 and something like 45.
We kept pick 13 and got Dal, traded pick 17 for Heath Black and Traded pick 45 for Knobel....
That deal definitely worked out in our favour, even if it was a straight swap Dal for Hall...
The deal that I am not happy about was the three way deal when we lost Heath Black, I don't understand why we didn't take Troy Simmonds instead of Fiora...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:I'm pretty sure that we traded Hall for 3 picks, pick 13, 17 and something like 45.
We kept pick 13 and got Dal, traded pick 17 for Heath Black and Traded pick 45 for Knobel....
That deal definitely worked out in our favour, even if it was a straight swap Dal for Hall...
The deal that I am not happy about was the three way deal when we lost Heath Black, I don't understand why we didn't take Troy Simmonds instead of Fiora...
Symonds was committed to Richmond and we basically had to take what we could for Black. Freo were never dealing with us in reagards to Symonds.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

i would of rathered hall befor this new "hands in the back rule"
now i would go for Dal, because hall just doesnt know how to adapt to these new rules...he doesnt understand you cant put your hands in the other guys back!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Armoooo wrote:I'm pretty sure that we traded Hall for 3 picks, pick 13, 17 and something like 45.
Symonds was committed to Richmond and we basically had to take what we could for Black. Freo were never dealing with us in reagards to Symonds.
I think you might find that Fremantle were happy to deal with us...they wouldve got the same result: Heath Black. But Richmond's offer of a 5(?) year high pay contract was too much for us to outbid especially considering we had big long term contracts with Hamill and Penny.

HarveysDeciple

SaintBot wrote:
CURLY wrote:
I think you might find that Fremantle were happy to deal with us...they wouldve got the same result: Heath Black. But Richmond's offer of a 5(?) year high pay contract was too much for us to outbid especially considering we had big long term contracts with Hamill and Penny.
yeah im pretty sure thats right Bot.
I think it was the length of the deal that got us in the end. Richmond offered Simmonds 4 or 5 years and we werent prepared to match that.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i'm happy with fiora these days.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.