My 22 - the armchair coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

awesome_days wrote: McEvoy will only ever have to play on 3rd or 4th best defender and could be a bonus goal-kicker ala Westhoff for Port.

Some good lateral positions in your 22....

...but with Westhoff don't foget that he is 21......so I would not expect McEvoy at his age to be able to replicate what the older Westhoff did.

Even the "Tomahawk" with huge wraps (without father son would probably have been pick No 1) struggled....

In 2008 let him ripen at Casey with maybe an occassional seniors game. Fora GF team....I would be surprised if we did not have better options.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

my 22 for round 1 would be

B: S. Fisher, Hudghton, Dempster
HB: Gram, Maguire, Gilbert
C: Ball, Dal Santo, Fiora
HF: Goddard, Koschitzke, Reiwoldt
F: Schneider, Gehrig, Milne

Foll: King, Hayes, Montagna

Int: Harvey, Blake , X Clarke , Armatage

emergencys : L Fisher , R Clarke , Gwilt

exclusions baker as hes on an AFL holiday Gardi as i dont think by round one he would be any better then rix in the ruck so king will get the top job with kosi and blake being the back ups

although the way we go with injurys i would expect maybe one other youngen to maybe crack the list

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If Raph is fit and has a good pre-season he will be in the starting 18.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:If Raph is fit and has a good pre-season he will be in the starting 18.
i agree raph if fit will be in the starting 18 but for round one i reckon RL will err on the side of caution with raph

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

My Team for round 1 would be:

B: S. Fisher Hudghton Dempster
HB: Armitage Maguire Gram
C: Fiora Dal Santo Gilbert
HF: Ball Reiwoldt Schneider
F: Gehrig Koschitzke Milne

Foll: King Hayes Montagna

Int: X Clarke Harvey M. Gardiner Blake

Emergencys: L. Fisher R. Clarke Birss

Exclusions:
Baker - Suspended
Goddard - Knee

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i really doubt Gardi will be up for round one . remember he hasnt played since 2005 so the match fitness will be nowhere near the AFL standard he would need at least 2 weeks in the scorps befor he could be even close to running out a full tilt AFL game

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i really doubt Gardi will be up for round one . remember he hasnt played since 2005 so the match fitness will be nowhere near the AFL standard he would need at least 2 weeks in the scorps befor he could be even close to running out a full tilt AFL game
Thats why they have the NAB Cup :wink:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

yeah but i dont think the preseason games are going to be enuff for him if and its a big if he gets his body right he would come in at about round 3 that gives him the NAB cup and 2 VFL games to get up t o speed

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
borderbarry wrote:If Raph is fit and has a good pre-season he will be in the starting 18.
i agree raph if fit will be in the starting 18 but for round one i reckon RL will err on the side of caution with raph
Has something happened to Raph? He was fit and healthy enough to play the final 3 games of '07 (not the most ringing endorsement, but...) so not having heard of an injury, I've been assuming Raph healthy.

I agree on Gardiner. Long, further injury ridden layoff, surviving the NAB cup games is not enough. Let him ruck out a couple of VFL games as the #1 and we can put him in.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Solar
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Has something happened to Raph? He was fit and healthy enough to play the final 3 games of '07 (not the most ringing endorsement, but...) so not having heard of an injury, I've been assuming Raph healthy.

I agree on Gardiner. Long, further injury ridden layoff, surviving the NAB cup games is not enough. Let him ruck out a couple of VFL games as the #1 and we can put him in.
raph is fine, in fact from most reports from training he is looking fitter and stronger in the upper body. I expect him to hold down a spot in defence for 18+ games next year.

Agree on the thoughts on working Gards into match fitness. Personally I would hope they aim to have him fit and firing by the second month of the season. Give him as much ruck time as possible in the preseason then instruct him to go out for casey and ruck all day. He will only get a spot in the first 22 if he plays 2-3 good games.

Personally I see fish ahead of dempster and others because he is being turned into a replacement for attard. His ability to not only play tall in the back pocket but also move into the midfield to run with a player gives us defensive flexbility.

I would like to see us develop a settled back six. I am confident that maguire, max and chips will be our 3 defensive talls. Fisher and raph for mine give us flexibility and rebound. I would use the 6th position to teach one of armatage, geary, howard, steven etc. how to run with a player and also learn the speed of the game from the backline. This worked really well with X and grammy in the past. My money would be on geary to get this spot, with the option to moving gram back there or the swingman gilbert.

I hope these closed sessions are allowing SOS to work with the back 6 and develop them into a good unit. Always agreed with jeansy that you build from the backline, get that stiched up and half the work is done.

The midfield is an interesting one. IF BJ had not done his knee I would have been looking for him and gram to be moving into more of a midfield role. BJ can come back via the bench and work his way into the season via a drifitng back role as the extra defensive midfielder.

Fiora had a good year and it would be great if he just kept that standard for the whole of next season. joey and dal will benefit from a fitter ball and hayes. Armatage is the interesting one, if he gets fitter and relise it's not just going to happen then he could be that 2nd year player that moves into a starting 18 (ie gilbert). Right now eddy and geary had better 2007 form wise then armo but armo has the lot. Is not slow, clever inside player and damaging with the ball in space. Will be a big X factor next year.

The forward line is an interesting one. Everything points to a forward line of kosi, gehrig, schneider, milne with roo pushing up to the wing. Xavier clarke is very important to this forward set up in that his tackles stick, is happy to get hard ball gets and can play tall and short. How he performs will have a big say in how much football we can keep in the forward 50.

Schneider will allow milne to be a little more creative and make the forward line a little ore unpredictable. Look for milne to play more as a leading forward which was a big basis of his 2004/05 game. The best thing we got out of guerra was that oppositions had two unpredictable small forwards, which is a nightmare.

So I am leaning towards something like this for round 1, but it's still weeks to xmas.

FB Fish Max raph
HB chips goose geary
C fizz joey gram
HF Harvs Roo schneider
FF milne Kosi G

R: King, Hayes, dal

I from: gilbert, BJ, blake, ball, xavier, armo, birss, CJ, Rix,

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
awesome_days
Club Player

My best 22 is changing every day. Currently it is:

B: R Clarke Hughton Dempster (L Fisher/Baker)
HB: S Fisher Maguire Gilbert
C: Gram Montagna Goddard
HF: Fiora Koschitzke Riewoldt
F: Dal Santo Gherig Schneider
R: King Hayes Ball

Int: Harvey Armitage X Clarke Blake

With Baker suspended, it is a toss up between L Fisher and Dempster for the final defensive role.

Montagna will step into a #1 midfield rotation role this year. I also want to see one of our premier mids resting in the forward pocket to provide the extra class.

King is a ruckman who is at his best rucking for 70 - 80% of a game, hence I have included Blake as the reserve ruckman due to his "utility" nature. Kosi will play a permanent CHF position. McEvoy misses out due to inexperience. I don't think M Gardiner will be AFL ready again.

I expect Armitage to come on this year, however his spot will probably go to L Fisher in the first few weeks of the season.

Our 2nd 22 would look something like this:

B: Attard Gwilt Baker
HB: LFisher Dempster Geary
C: Howard Birss McQualter
HF: C Gardiner Allen Ferguson
F: McEvoy M Gardiner Milne
R: Rix Steven Eddy Jones
Int: Van Rheenan Chivers Miles Connors Harekatu

Rusell Jeffrey #24
Club Player

B: Goddard Hudghton Baker
HB: Gram Maguire S Fisher