Another cleanout to follow post 2008

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Another cleanout to follow post 2008

I like the fact that RL has made some tough decisions regarding some under performing players. Though I don't agree with all of the players he has cut, I'm glad that some we've parted company with some players that had been in the system for 2-3-4 years and produced very little.

It's obvious however that u can't solve all of list's problems in 1 1/2 trade periods and 2 NDs. I believe the job is only half done and that a number of players in our team are fighting for their careers... no more excuses:

M. Gardiner: 0 games won't do it. 5-6 games in an injury riddled season won't do it. Needs to play at least 12 games and be competitive nad injury free or his spot would be better served with an up and coming ruck

X. Clarke: Our midfield is weak with not enoughplayers carrying the load... we've waited for X for a long time. He has potential, last season was his 1st predominantly injury free for a while so we cut him some slack RE his on again off again form. I want him to be a valuable part of the rotation this season... poor form or injuries = whats the point. Get something for him while we can/

Raph: I love Raph, while our expectations on him shouldn't be as high as X, the kid needs to stay injury free this season. I'm sick of hearing about his groin injurys and no preseasons. Am not so worried about form (but I want to see him live up to his talent) but I've had it with him being on the injury list... full season and peak fitness.

James Gwilt: His stint down back IMO was a disaster... clearly found out, only looking serviceable coz of the additional help from his team mates around him. Where would you play him? Nothing short of a handful of good games and a position of his own should be enough.

Steven Milne: Has been on the list a long time... simply can't tolerate his on some games, off others, on for bits of games, goes missing style. Needs to consistently contribute, otherwise his spot would b better off going to a young Armitage or Howard... guys that can effectively go through the midfield.

Matty Ferguson: Another one I like but dude whats your position? We have too many capable of playing on the HBF... needs to go forward and help us kick some goals.

Luke Ball: GASP!!! Yep. Think about it. Had 1 BOG last season against hawthorn I think. How long do we wait for him to get back to peak fitness? We need elite midfielders. If he struggles again this year they should shop him around... the truth is however that we won't get enough value for him on the trade table, its sad but he's looking likely to head down the second rotation midfielder path. God I hope he pulls it together

Big big season ahead... success depends on these guys IMO

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Agree with all of them overall, even Ball... If the team clicks, and we have a good run injuries wise for the season, and a few young'uns come on, there may be no room for J. Blake come season '09 either...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Another cleanout to follow post 2008

skeptic wrote:Raph: I love Raph, while our expectations on him shouldn't be as high as X, the kid needs to stay injury free this season. I'm sick of hearing about his groin injurys and no preseasons. Am not so worried about form (but I want to see him live up to his talent) but I've had it with him being on the injury list... full season and peak fitness.
agree re raph. this is his make or break season. has an abundance of talent, but i worry about his confidence and work ethic.

if he can put it together we could have something pretty special on our hands. on the other hand ... :?

one game in 2007 ... against fremantle i think ... he looked like a superstar. nothing could get past him on the half back line. more of the same please raph.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 03 Dec 2007 11:42am, edited 1 time in total.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
skeptic wrote:Raph: I love Raph, while our expectations on him shouldn't be as high as X, the kid needs to stay injury free this season. I'm sick of hearing about his groin injurys and no preseasons. Am not so worried about form (but I want to see him live up to his talent) but I've had it with him being on the injury list... full season and peak fitness.
agree re raph. this is his make or break season. has an abundance of talent, but i worry about his confidence and work ethic.

if he can put it together we could have something pretty special on our hands. on the other hand ... :?
Raph's possie is a funny one too... seeing him at training, and in civilians, he is actuly quite a sizeale lad.. Im surprised by his height, and he is slowly filling out... must be over 190cm at a guess??

Playing wise tho, he is very flanker type, so a key possie is out of the question, but it would be handy...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Raph's possie is a funny one too... seeing him at training, and in civilians, he is actuly quite a sizeale lad.. Im surprised by his height, and he is slowly filling out... must be over 190cm at a guess??

Playing wise tho, he is very flanker type, so a key possie is out of the question, but it would be handy...
you think he could hold down chb one day? he is pretty mobile for a guy his size and has good hands. i saw glimpses of a rare ability to read the play in that fremantle game

sincerely hope he can put it all together, starting now.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

line em all up and shoot em all ! :roll:

nah i actually agree with most of that
gardi has this year to show somthing or else it was a low cost failure trading for him

i think x is safe as what he does show when fit is enuff to keep him going but i agree if he doesnt have a breack out year his name will be bandied about for trade

Raph is on shakey ground i dont think RL really buys into the "romance" of having the brothers together so i feel he wont hessitate in giving raph the flick if he cant come up the skills are there hes just gotta get he body right

Ferg i really though he was gone this year was given a lifeline last year and really didnt do anything with it his spot could well be filled for another mid even if he has an ok year as at this stage he should be hitting his straps

Gwilt i think is pretty safe i feel RL rates players he can give a task to and they will fill that task eg "cut out player ** at all costs even if you dont get the ball once keep them away from it" and jimmy has shown he can do that

Milne i think would be safe consistancey is a problem and his goal output is alot lower now he has stints in the midfeild really he is not suited for the midfeild should be played as purly a crumber in the forward line

Luke ball is a captain he has been servicable while injured unlike a CJUDD and give his all even if his body doesnt get back to 100% at 80% he is still a good worth to the team cant see RL showing him the door as he also rates players who go in and earn the possession

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt and Ferguson, unless the improve dramatically, will be gone at the end of 2008.

Stephen Milne will be 29 years old ... he is close to retirement, not being delisted. There were only a handful of small forwards who kicked more goals than him in 2007.
He has one year left to run on his contract, and probably 2 years left as an AFL player before he retires.
He one of the senior players at the club.

Ball ... disgusting talk. He's 23 and captain of our club and you talk about him in the context of a "cleanout". You think he is satisfied with how he is performing? Let's support the bloke while he desperately tries to get back to what he can do.
Even at 60% he would still walk into any midfield in the AFL.

Re: the Clarkes.

X has to have a consistent year, and there will be pressure for his spot from Schneider, Armitage and C. Gardiner. He has only signed a one-year contract, and for mine this serves as notice that he must perform.

Raph has two years and deserves more lee-way. A season of injuries and inconsistent performances would put his spot in jeopardy, but he will be kept IMO.

Great thread ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Interesting OP......and yes new blood every year and Rl is takinga tougher stand....

Gwilt and Ferg must have been ona fine line of being reatained this year......but others being delisted may have helped them in part to be reataied.

RL wants committment tough.....and gives those will to do what needs to be downea chance to shine.

The above group you named is fair enough even though I would disagree with some aspects.

How Milne will go in 2008 will be interesting. I am aniticapating that having Schneide floating around the forward line will help him as he will not nbow be the only small forward that defenders have to try and quell.

2009 may see anoth 3/4 draftees and some rookies elevated......so yes up to say 6 more may go with Banger the only certaian retirement (Gtrain 2 more years????? maybe..)

But it is now the pre-season....and so all players are equal....all players have to demonstrate their worth.

There is a still a core of certain starters....but the recruiting of King, Schneider, Dempter and C Gardiner mean that about a third of the "best 22" has positions up for grabs and players will be under the pump to be regular 22 players for thse spots.

Now I am not saying that CGardiner and Dempster wil play a lot of seniors...but yes they will help to make it extremely competitive to get in....they may make it...or they may not. But they will help to raise the bar for what is required to make the team in 2008.

Milne for example is under the pump......he should complement Schneider wel....but lapses in form or application may see X used as the small forward with Schneider instead.

Can Ferg force his way in asa forward or defender??? If not then 2008 may be his last season.

Even the big GTrain will now not find his place an automatic start...... a young allen may emerge....or god form from Kosi and Roo may in some games mean that RL may not want more than 2 big forwards.....or perhaps even IF King and gardi BOTH shaped up...RL may like using one of them forward.

Another not mentioned above is Rix..a good honest tolier but clearly limited. His fate for 2009 may well rest in Gardi's feet....and whether VanReehan steps up....IF both of those players perormed in 2008 then Rix spot as a cheap back up ruckman on our list would be under the pump.....partucularly with the young MCEvoy in the system as well.

Gardi failing and VR not coming on could see him retained as back up though.

Blake too will be under the pump (though yes Blake in 2007 had his best year for us....but was stilla GOP)......Dempster and C Gardiner directly competing with him along with Raph, Ferg......and others.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sobraz
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Raph's possie is a funny one too... seeing him at training, and in civilians, he is actuly quite a sizeale lad.. Im surprised by his height, and he is slowly filling out... must be over 190cm at a guess??

you think he could hold down chb one day? he is pretty mobile for a guy his size and has good hands. i saw glimpses of a rare ability to read the play in that fremantle game

sincerely hope he can put it all together, starting now.
Thats the thing... he has the size, i feel, for CHB, and the agilty to play tall and small... I also think he has a bit of grunt that hasnt come out yet. Sure, he plays an outside game, but i think he can find his own ball ok, and is a good mark.. All in all he has the talent, and the body to be able to do it... He needs to work on his physicality, and his endurance.

For CHB he needs to be able to spot numerous leads over and over..These days, guys like Travis Cloke (obviosly roo is the best at this), really work the CHB over for endurance...

I still have very high hopes for Raph..

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

in all honesty i see rix being kept as a ruck back up for a while i mean i have hopes gardy will come good but hes been out of the game for some time so in effect he could come back being no better then Rix ? the way i see the ruck is
king
gardi - rix
Mcevoy
kosi
blake
VR

with with mcevoy and VR hopfully ready to take the mantle by 2010

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Sobraz
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Another not mentioned above is Rix..a good honest tolier but clearly limited. His fate for 2009 may well rest in Gardi's feet....and whether VanReehan steps up....IF both of those players perormed in 2008 then Rix spot as a cheap back up ruckman on our list would be under the pump.....partucularly with the young MCEvoy in the system as well.

Gardi failing and VR not coming on could see him retained as back up though.

Forgot about Rix.. Best case scenario is unfortunately him going at the end of 08, as it will mean Gardi and King did their job, and McEvoy and VR have shown a big upside.. All in all i hope this eventuates...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I didn't include Rix or Blake coz they don't need to prove themselves.

We know how good they are and how they can improve (same thing) whether they deserve to be on the list is another thing

stinger
Saintsational Legend

these players are playing their last year for the club.....some might not get to play at all.....

banger :cry:

fraser :cry:

gardiner....that's if he gets out on the ground

rix....waste of space....

gwilt..........."nough said

charlie gardiner....not good enough....ross will realise why sad sack gave him the flick....

...king...maybe/maybe not.....

don't know if we need to delist any more....7 is enough.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saints94
SS Life Member

Ferguson:We gave him a chance did nothing to redemn himself he's got 1 more year if he can get a few good games under his belt then he might become a regular

Raph: 2005 was his best year i thought then came the injuries i hope he gets his body 100% and starts running from half-back

X: Played great games this season not a reliable kick but gives us forward presure

Charlie: I don't think charlie will become a regular might play a few good games but mainly in and out of the team

Gards: Now when we recruited Mcevoy i thought to myself will the main pair be King and Macca or King and Gards I would love for Gards to get his body 100% play like he did in 03 and kick ass i don't want to see him be a permenent forward because he's not the greatest of kicks at goal

Milney: The last time milne kicked 4 goals or more is when he kicked 11 goals in 05 against the lions Milne can do better then that 04 and 05 were his good years 46 in 04 and 61 in 05 29 in 06 and 32 in 07 turning 29 soon so getting to the end of his carrer i don't want to see him get delisted he is capable of kicking 11 goals again. Even his goalkicking ain't that trustworthy.

Gwilt: Needs to trust his judgement a bit slow on decision making needs to get some speed into him or his out of here

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:these players are playing their last year for the club.....some might not get to play at all.....

charlie gardiner....not good enough....ross will realise why sad sack gave him the flick....
Think you are wrong on this one. I have a feeling he may make you eat your words.

Everything I have heard and seen of him in the last 6 months points to him being a bonus pick for us.

Bookmark this thread... (although it will disappear into cyberland within a few months..)

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Having Rix and Blake (on a low wage) is important for our list. They are reliable players to have as backup, Rix being a ruckman who can hold his own, and Blake being a utility that can play anywhere (i'd probably have Blake in my best 25 if not 22. Until we can recruit a youngster to develop and hopefully overtake these guys.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Delistings/Retirements at the end of 08.

Harvey
Gehrig
M. Gardiner
Ferguson
Gwilt
Jones

That is all. Gwilt and Gardiner are based on their attitude, so it could go either way. I'd love to see Harvs play for 20 more years but it's unlikely. Ferguson, Gwilt, Jones - Not good enough unless we see some marked improvements.

Safe:

Ball - you guys don't realise how good he is, even with 80% fitness.

Howard - Always needed at least 3 years to come on.

X. Clarke - A very handy guy in the mould of Schneider, who can play forward or mid. If he gets his kicking boots on and he will kick more goals than Milne.

OP, If you're travelling that path with Ball, you should include Maguire in there too - Injury Prone and hasn't put a good game together since breaking his leg.
Last edited by Otiman on Mon 03 Dec 2007 1:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:Delistings/Retirements at the end of 08.

Harvey
Gehrig
Gardiner
Ferguson
Gwilt
Jones

That is all. Gwilt and Gardiner are based on their attitude, so it could go either way. I'd love to see Harvs play for 20 more years but it's unlikely. Ferguson, Gwilt, Jones - Not good enough unless we see some marked improvements.
Gehrig rekons that he can go on for another 2-3 years

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Having Rix and Blake (on a low wage) is important for our list. They are reliable players to have as backup, Rix being a ruckman who can hold his own, and Blake being a utility that can play anywhere (i'd probably have Blake in my best 25 if not 22. Until we can recruit a youngster to develop and hopefully overtake these guys.
Exactly right - about Blake anyway.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:
Otiman wrote: Gwilt and Gardiner are based on their attitude, so it could go either way.
Gehrig rekons that he can go on for another 2-3 years
Well he says that now, but who knows which Swedish blonde he'll fall in love with this year ;)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
stinger wrote:these players are playing their last year for the club.....some might not get to play at all.....

Think you are wrong on this one. I have a feeling he may make you eat your words.

Everything I have heard and seen of him in the last 6 months points to him being a bonus pick for us.

Bookmark this thread... (although it will disappear into cyberland within a few months..)
i hope you are right...and i'm wrong...would be a real bonus.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Good OP Skeptic.
Agree with some of those you have mentioned -
Gardiner and Ferguson for sure. IMO Gardiner is the new Hamill - 2 weeks.
X - tend to agree to agree with you. Must have a consistent solid season of team oriented contributions. Sick of his inconsistency and injury, Ditto for his brother.
Milne I think, unless he has a diabolical season, will be a a Saint until he retires. Inconsistency is frustrating but he's still at the top end of small forward goal kickers.
Gwilt - could go either way. Could blossom this year and become a regular. Agree with you if he doesn't and isn't pushing for a spot, then perhaps time to move him on.
Rix is another who could go either way. Seems to have limited ability, but ok as a back-up ruckman. I'm pinning my hopes on King delivering in the ruck, with Rix and Kosi as back-up. Have zero faith that we'll ever see Gardiner in a Saints jumper. Did I say that already? Rix's fate I think is not entirely in his own hands. Depends on how the other big guys fare as well as how he performs.

Disagree with you on Bally. Hard, tough nugget. Need another just like him in and under. Even when not at peak fitness. Wouldn't trade him, no way.

And as for Blake : he's becoming an enigma. Hardly anyone on here rates him, yet he was top 10 B&F last year. He's no star, but his versatility and ability to run with I think enables Lyon to use him in ways that Thomas never considered. As long as he can deliver on the tasks that Lyon sets him on match day and his skills don't deteriorate., he'll stay.

midas_touch
Club Player

IMO, the guys that are on thin ice at this stage are Ferguson, Gwilt and Raph. They each need to prove their worth in 08 if they are to stay on our list. Rix may also be in this category depending on how the rest of our ruck division fares.

n1ck wrote:

I heard from a Geelong supporting mate that the exceptional form of Steve Johnson was the main factor in keeping Charlie Gardiner out of the team. Agree that he could be a bonus pickup.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Always amazed at the number of people who are ready to write off the Clarke's ahead of guys who don't get a game. Regardless of injury, I imaginet here will be enough to go ahead of them again next year, and if it's another season of injuries, then nobody will trade us anything worthwhile. They're frustrating, but they're AFLers, so they're not in danger yet... I do agree, that the Clarke's having good years will go a long way to lifting the Saints in '08.

Gwilt was thrown in the deep end, but has been around long enough that he needs to show something soon, AFL list spots are too valuable to spend indefinately on depth defenders who can't crack the lineup (goes for Ferg too).

Milne's an interesting one... plays a position used these days to develop mids, and has shown he isn't a good mid. Needs to be the Saints best small forward then, and a schneider and a healthy X (I'm assuming his woes in front of goal last year aren't a permanent state of affairs) will certainly have him under pressure... biggest thing for Milne is probably his own desire.

Ball is Ball... still a very good ballwinning mid, would be 1st rotation for a lot of teams. Personally, I doubt he ever gets back to full potential, but given '07 form, if someone lifts enough to push him into the 2nd rotation, I'm rapt. (kudos to the OP for being willing to think outside the box though, while I'd be surprised, Ball as tradebait certainly makes one think)

There's enough doubtfuls on the Saints list that we could see another 5 or 6 go at years end, but I'd be surprised if guys like the Clarke's, Blake (I guess if he can't get a game in '08 he may want to explore his options...), or Milne were anywhere but on St. Kilda's list in '09.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
peter lockwood
Club Player

In my opinion there are only 2 that are really under the pump-Gwilt and Ferg.
The likes of Blake and Rix are needed in all football sides.Just honest tryers.Gardiner,King and Gtrain will all play in 09.