We are overcomplicating the whole clash jumper issue !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

We are overcomplicating the whole clash jumper issue !

Every AFL supporter recognises the traditional tri-color design as St Kilda - so why are we messing with that ?. It is what differentiates us from every other club.

IMHO the clash design jumper should feature the traditional tri-colour front - but with an all white back worn with white shorts. That eliminates any major clash of dark colours when playing Essendon, Melbourne etc and keeps our traditional tri-colour front - which to is integral to our brand.

I'm not a fan of the current clash jumper which does not reflect anything about our club, and looks like a training top.

Apologies, I know there are a few other threads on this already, but I'd love to see this topic pick up its own steam and eliminate the current clutter around the clash jumper.

Protect the Tri-colour !! - its who we are :evil:

yipper
SS Life Member

Re: We are overcomplicating the whole clash jumper issue !

Zed wrote:Every AFL supporter recognises the traditional tri-color design as St Kilda - so why are we messing with that ?. It is what differentiates us from every other club.

IMHO the clash design jumper should feature the traditional tri-colour front - but with an all white back worn with white shorts. That eliminates any major clash of dark colours when playing Essendon, Melbourne etc and keeps our traditional tri-colour front - which to is integral to our brand.

I'm not a fan of the current clash jumper which does not reflect anything about our club, and looks like a training top.

Apologies, I know there are a few other threads on this already, but I'd love to see this topic pick up its own steam and eliminate the current clutter around the clash jumper.

Agreed. Perfect solution.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Well in the mock-up done in another thread it actually didnt look all that flash..but maybe a real one made up might look better..

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bob__71
Club Player

I wonder....since they did the faded number this year....why not just take a normal home jumper and do a fade effect on it....white light grey and light red with light grey shorts....then it will be the same but different.....could someone whip one up so we can see what it would look like

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

bob__71 wrote:I wonder....since they did the faded number this year....why not just take a normal home jumper and do a fade effect on it....white light grey and light red with light grey shorts....then it will be the same but different.....could someone whip one up so we can see what it would look like
why fade the front of the jumper ? .. retain the home guernsey front of the jumper ...its our "face" and for better or worse its who we are, and how we are recongnised instantly across the country - do whatever you like to the back of the jumper and shorts

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Duggie
Club Player

I am fazed by all the repeats on the need (?) for a so-called clash strip. For goodness sake let's get off the interminable $$$ band wagon! :lol:

A Saint Forever!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Re: We are overcomplicating the whole clash jumper issue !

Zed wrote:Every AFL supporter recognises the traditional tri-color design as St Kilda - so why are we messing with that ?. It is what differentiates us from every other club.

Agree entirely :wink:

Traditional home jumper with white back, white shorts

Absolutely the way to go

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:I wonder....since they did the faded number this year....why not just take a normal home jumper and do a fade effect on it....white light grey and light red with light grey shorts....then it will be the same but different.....could someone whip one up so we can see what it would look like
:roll: :roll: :roll:

FAIR DINKUM

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

IMHO this is the best clash jumper by far, clashes with no other club and maintains our traditional tri-colour panels

SteveStevens66
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:Image

IMHO this is the best clash jumper by far, clashes with no other club and maintains our traditional tri-colour panels
Absolutely agreed. The tri-panel is our guernsey.

The clash issue is entirely manufactured by the AFL, sadly, in collusion with the clubs, who simply wish to sell jumpers. It is funny how for 100 years no one complained of jumper clashes but now suddenly players and fans alike have been brainwashed to actually believe they are colour blind. Fair dinkum. Another con job by the AFL.

If we must have a clash jumper then tri-panel with white back. At least it retains the essence of our traditional jumper.

Carna Saints!!!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Will people please stop with this conspiracy theory that the AFL invented clash jumpers!!!
Sure all the die hard fans can tell which are our players by their haircut but what about the less active fans, should we isolate them?!?!
We have to have a clash jumper that is the fact, whether or not you believe we should we still have to!! Why not make some money in the process, The tri colour is what makes us who we are?!?! My favourite memories took place in the Hot Cross Bun and even occasionally the old heritage top...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
karnak
Club Player

too right Armoo,

if you dont' like the strip communications don't read em you twaat.

Also its the offseason,

The threads about guernsey's generate alot of discussion................ why? Because IT IS FUNDAMENTALLY IMPORTANT. It is the physical representation of our CLUB.

The important thing is that our colours are represented, I personally would like to see a different clash guernsey than our tri stripe. I already own tri stripe guernseys, sometimes I like to wear different ones (to really mix up my wardrobe) So let me have my wish, and let the club sell more guernsey's.

And if you think the tri stripe is the only guernsey we've ever had that has tradition then I think you need to have a squiz through our past guernsey's,

clearly if a few of you had half a brain you'd be lonely.

over and out.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Yep, agree with both karnak and Armoooo....

but you do realise that you are arguing with the king of conspiracy theories :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
ttufc7
Club Player

im sick of everyone talking about the clash jumper like a markrting exercise because it is one!!!!! am i the only one who remembers that st. kilda was one of the first clubs to jump on the pre season jumper rush that resulted in the "hot cross bun" jumper that everyone seems to be so fond of....honestly i dont care what jumper the club runs out in as long as they play games

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

If the average consumer has a choice between buying a traditional St Kilda jumper, and buying the same jumper with a white back, he will buy the traditional jumper.

Candy stripe? Ah, that's another story. Same with hot cross bun.

In the words of Kath and Kim, "it's nice, it's different, it's unusual".

So the jumper proposed by the OP will never be our clash strip.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Mero
Club Player

Well, I agree to an extent, however, I would suggest the push by the AFL for all clubs to adopt Clash jumpers is more a push to increase revenues than it is an appeal to fairness.
Let's face it, being fair to all is really not one of the AFL's strong suits.
Otherwise North would still be playing on Friday nights, Anzac Day would be between different teams each year and finals tickets would go to members of the club competing, not Sydney based corporate types.

The AFL want Carlton, Richmond, Essendon and Collingwood supporters to have something else to buy this Christmas. It's a harsh reality, and if you think they're making them adopt Clash jumpers out of the goodness of your hearts, then you probably believe it will be Santa bringing the Bombers Clash jumper down the chimney to little Ritchie in Ringwood.

If StKilda played Essendon in White shorts, both Home & Away, there would be no problem with clashes.
If StKilda played Collingwood in their mostly White jumpers each time, there would be no clash.

If you want a history lesson, it was Footscray who invented the idea of a Pre-Season jumper in 1979.
They tried again in 1980.
Hawthorn, North, Fitzroy & Footscray picked up the idea of a Pre-Season jumper for the 1995 season.
They were the first of the polyester printed jobs everyone wears today.
They were designed to be another product for sale in the club shop.
Freo were the first in the modern era to adopt 2 jumpers, one Home and one Away in 1995.
(Sadly, the AFL approved them wearing what looks like a Melbourne jumper from a distance as their Home jumper. Watch the final from 2006 to see what I mean.)
The next year other clubs adopted them as well.
Then they began using them in the Home & Away season.
Now they're seen as neccessary.