Chivers our first pick, Miles second .. McQualter third

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

homework wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
SaintBot wrote::shock:
I wholeheartedly agree.
Look I don't know much about the draft.
NO SH*T!!!!! :roll: :roll:

Saints94
SS Life Member

LTN16 wrote:
homework wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
SaintBot wrote::shock:
I wholeheartedly agree.
Look I don't know much about the draft.
NO SH*T!!!!! :roll: :roll:
Here we go more negative comments I wonder who they came from ahhhhhhhh LTN 16 :evil:

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Well here's some good positive comments from homework
homework wrote:Why didn't we select David Gourdis with any of our National draft picks (70)
homework wrote:So we could have selected Gourdis or Joseph?
homework wrote:Why couldn't we select them?
homework wrote:Have a sook geez why would I read anything that idiot has to say
:roll: :roll:

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Stay on topic please. No personal stuff.
vacuous space wrote: I'm not a fan of drafting pockets and wingmen.
How do you suppose we acquire them then?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:Well here's some good positive comments from homework
homework wrote:Why didn't we select David Gourdis with any of our National draft picks (70)
homework wrote:So we could have selected Gourdis or Joseph?
homework wrote:Why couldn't we select them?
homework wrote:Have a sook geez why would I read anything that idiot has to say
:roll: :roll:
ltn16 dont bother

its a waste of time

and if you keep on shooting him down a few of the more 'mature' posters on here will have a go at you for doing so

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i actually know Luke as he worksfor Swantrax and has come in to my work a few times he is a slightly built bloke and seems a bit unco (but then again most of my customers are unco's :roll: ) seems like a good kid though , very happy with this years intake in a whole for us weve really added a few possibilitys for the future in both the national draft and the rookie draft
mini is an odd pick but in all honesty as a rookie we could do worse at least with mini we know we have got a bloke who can play at AFL level as aposed to an unknown

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
I agree with VS here.

Unless a player is a freakish goalkicker (eg: Addam Maric) or a wingman with awsome skills (Cale Morton) I would like us to stay away from speciallist wingmen or forward pockets.

The crumbing small forward is just about gone from the game. These days you want strong-marking medium forwards who can play in the midfield and are also good at ground level (Paul Chapman, Ryan O'Keefe, Steve Johnson). The taller guys of this sort will probably be a key forward in the juniors and slip in the draft because they aren't tall enough to play the same role in the AFL. The shorter players will probably be play as goalkicking midfielders in the juniors.

Wingmen who play a very outside game in the juniors probably just don't have the size or toughness to make it in the AFL. If there is a quick, skilled wingman who likes to break tackles and run down opponents then they should be fine, but in a lot of junior competitions wingmen just don't like to get their hands dirty.

The short version:
To acquire small/medium forwards, I think we should target undersized KPPs who are good at ground level or midfielders with a good goal sense.

To get quick wingmen, just choose fast midfielders who play in the middle.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So recruiting Winmar was a waste of time then??????????????????????? :shock:

Aussie was a flop too???????????????

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:

I don't care if we play 20 gumbies if they deliver a premiership.
We've already tried that...it doesn't work....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:[
The crumbing small forward is just about gone from the game. .
The Pies small forward options look quite good....and I personally think that Schneider will work very well for us.....

Chapman is a small forward...not a mid....

Gablett is a small forward that can also play midfield....but he is an exception.

So mids are good gola kickers...but the Saints are certainly not chock full of them....though Dal could one.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
If so, if don't have much risk given we have 6 rookies on our list.
Agree but there are 7..not 6..

1. Attard, Jayden
2. Eddy, Robert
3. Haretuku, Khan
4. van Rheenen, Luke
5. Glenn Chivers
6. Luke Miles
7. Andrew McQualter
Is the Japanese kid treated the same as other rookies, ie. can he be elevated at any time??

Isn't he just a token rookie to keep the AFL happy and make them look like they are fair dinkum in NSW school system or something similar, enabling us an extra rookie (who will most likely never play a senior game - no offence to the dude, just the way the scolorship system may pan out).

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

1. Attard, Jayden
2. Eddy, Robert
3. Haretuku, Khan
4. van Rheenen, Luke
5. Glenn Chivers
6. Luke Miles
7. Andrew McQualter
Is the Japanese kid treated the same as other rookies, ie. can he be elevated at any time??

Isn't he just a token rookie to keep the AFL happy and make them look like they are fair dinkum in NSW school system or something similar, enabling us an extra rookie (who will most likely never play a senior game - no offence to the dude, just the way the scolorship system may pan out).
he came from across the tasman last time i checked :?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The Japanese kid? Oh you mean Eddy?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Actually Khan was born in Sydney. His parents are from N.Z.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

1. Attard, Jayden
2. Eddy, Robert
3. Haretuku, Khan
4. van Rheenen, Luke
5. Glenn Chivers
6. Luke Miles
7. Andrew McQualter

he came from across the tasman last time i checked :?
Japanese/Kiwi - same thing!! - nah, just thought the name sounded kinda Japanese, that's all, I assume he's a Maori then? Hopefully a decent size bloke!

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:
I agree with VS here.

Unless a player is a freakish goalkicker (eg: Addam Maric) or a wingman with awsome skills (Cale Morton) I would like us to stay away from speciallist wingmen or forward pockets.

The crumbing small forward is just about gone from the game. These days you want strong-marking medium forwards who can play in the midfield and are also good at ground level (Paul Chapman, Ryan O'Keefe, Steve Johnson). The taller guys of this sort will probably be a key forward in the juniors and slip in the draft because they aren't tall enough to play the same role in the AFL. The shorter players will probably be play as goalkicking midfielders in the juniors.

Wingmen who play a very outside game in the juniors probably just don't have the size or toughness to make it in the AFL. If there is a quick, skilled wingman who likes to break tackles and run down opponents then they should be fine, but in a lot of junior competitions wingmen just don't like to get their hands dirty.

The short version:
To acquire small/medium forwards, I think we should target undersized KPPs who are good at ground level or midfielders with a good goal sense.

To get quick wingmen, just choose fast midfielders who play in the middle.
yep i agree

its very rare these days to see a key defender at junior level become a key defender in the afl...the reason is the coach is always going to play the best tall players either on ball (if they have the endurance) or up forward (where they can do damage).

that means (in most cases) the left over talls will be played in defence. This applies more-so to the fullback as the centre half back at junior level should be able to do a fair amount of setting up plays and running through the back flanks

same princible applies to the small (not key) positions. A coach is going to play his best players either in the rover, ruck-rover or centre. The next best will go to the wings and then generally the more aggressive of the next batch will go to the half back flank and the skillful to the forward flank.

A rover at TAC cup level, if good enough will be able to continue playing in the midfield at AFL level, if not then they might only be able to hold down a forward pocket position in the AFL. A forward pocket at TAC cup level can only hold down a forward pocket, if they struggle their it is very unlikely that a forward pocket will be able to reassign to a wing or backline.

Now in Eljay's case he was a wingman for both the Bendigo Pioneers and Echuca.

I dont know much about Echuca but for Bendigo he was either on the wing or on the bench...never on ball.

keeping him off onball were Grant Ford, Scott Selwood, steven stroobants, blair holmes and aaryyn craig

of those only Selwood got picked (i think).

however in Connors defence, even with a weakish onball division, he doesnt have the right body to be on ball. thats what worries me.

many wingmen these days arnt your aussie jones's or nicky winmar's who were always suited to the outside position. one exception i suppose is leigh montagna. very short, pretty skinny, always a wingman. if eljay can turn out like him ill be thrilled

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:
saintly wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Mini back with pick 39!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our only backward move this post/pre season. Still as other posters have said, a big wake up call and our footy department know alot more than us armchair experts.

I believe he has the character to make a go of this, let's hope his ability matches his character.
well if noone had picked mcqualter up, the saints would have had to pay him out for 2008. this way he has a chance
I may have this completely wrong but I'm thinking McQualter has just received a pay rise as I still believe he'll be holding the money that the Saints have paid him for being delisted with a year to run PLUS now we'll be paying him the going rate of a rookie listed player.

Unless of course the club has had a word with him and offered the lifeline providing he doesn't cash his rookie pay cheque. I don't know how that would look on the books though, are rookies included in our salary cap or are they separate?
from my understanding they will only have to pay mcqualter the same amount that he was supposed to get for 2008. Not get paid for this 2nd year of his contract and the rookie payment.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:[
The crumbing small forward is just about gone from the game. .
I personally think that Schneider will work very well for us.....

Chapman is a small forward...not a mid....
I also think that Schneider is a good recruit. He can be a good crumber at times, but he has also stated that he wants to build his fitness and play in the midfield. He is good overhead for a midget and has a strong body so can be of use around the clearances.

Chapman averages 21 disposals and 6 marks per game. He is a very strong mark and has the fitness to effectively push up the ground and help the midfield. He is much, much more than a short guy who gets crumbs in the forward line.

Those two players have several important qualities. Skill, smarts, pace, strength and goal kicking ability. Chapman is the better player though because he covers more ground and gets more of the ball.

I'm just not a fan of recruiting Phil Raymond/Eljay Connors types who rely on just pace and skill. They aren't strong or fit enough for AFL and aren't huge talents who can get by because of their footy smarts.

Hopefully Eljay is different and is able to bulk and then cut it at AFL level, but as a rule I agree with VS that I would prefer if we didn't recruit skinny crumbing forwards and outside wingmen unless they were a freakish talent.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I certainly agree that small forwards need to do more than just crumb.

They need to also earn their own ball in other ways....and they have to be able to put pressure on the backs to hold the ball in and minimimise easy running out of the ball by defenders.

While they can have some rotations through the midfield to ease the load on others....I would tend to think that the players that do have a real knack of kicking goals are going to be better forwards than mids.

I also don't think that any mid can play as a small forward....many just do not have the judgement or knack of being in the right spot at the right time..

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:

I'm just not a fan of recruiting Phil Raymond/Eljay Connors types who rely on just pace and skill. .
I think that you are judging Eljay harshly.....he may not make it.....but he hasa broader set of attributes than that.

Raymond always looked unlikely though.

St.M
Club Player

Raymond at 186cm and with good evasive skills and sticky fingers was a chance, Josh Houlihan at 184 cm silky skills, again very good evasive skills - a chance.....but at under 70kg, both were too light, but more importantly too 'outside'......

To make it with physical limitation there needs to be special talent or special desire...

Fiora was not as effective as hoped due to his body strength - and he has freakish talent...but lack of strength effects his confidence...

Eljay at 181 and 65, makes all of those look like giants.....and looking at his kicking at training it is hit and miss......

good luck to him though....

jill
Club Player

:D Welcome to the Saints Rookies! May you NOT have to play in 2008, but be allowed to develop your talents & play in a - back - to - back Premiership Side 2009!! Mini GRAB YOUR CHANCE!!!!You can DO it !!!! :lol:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Mcqualter was a wasted pick IMO - to small, slow and cant lay a tackle nor kick further than 30.....much of that aint gonna change even as back up material.

Eljay makes me wonder whether we bought the whole "must buys speed" theory......very slight, Phil Raymondesque....time will tell.

Other than that quite a good period.......on paper.....

“Yeah….nah””
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Mcqualter was a wasted pick IMO - to small, slow and cant lay a tackle nor kick further than 30.....much of that aint gonna change even as back up material.

Eljay makes me wonder whether we bought the whole "must buys speed" theory......very slight, Phil Raymondesque....time will tell.

Other than that quite a good period.......on paper.....
if 3 out of 4 picks play consistant senior footy into the future surely that is a pass mark

oh how i wish it was the other connors though...the richmond version is going to be a gun

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Mcqualter was a wasted pick IMO - to small, slow and cant lay a tackle nor kick further than 30.....much of that aint gonna change even as back up material
Mini is one of the best tacklers at the club and I don't hink his pace is a problem. It certainly isn't a strength, but he's no slower than Dal Santo or Hayes. A 21 year old kid who wins lots of the footy, tackles like crazy and has safe (although not hugely damaging) disposal is definitely worth a spot on the rookie list.