Armitage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ben_fff
Club Player

Armitage

I saw him play a few times this year, I like that he gets aggressive with the opposition player but can't really remember what he is like with the ball...

Question to all you people that saw him play in the VFL
what are his skills like?
does he have a long kick?
can he kick a goal?
does he have speed?
does he do the one percenters and second efforts?
what player does he remind you of?

I know he's only had his first season so I'm not expecting much but I'd like to know if anyone can enlighten me.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I didn't see any Casey games but in the practice matches he showed a raking left foot kick, pretty good pace & reminded me of a young Luke Hodge (similar builds, kicking styles).

If he could be half the player that Hodge is, we've got a beauty! I hope Ross gives him a half back flank next year which will allow Grammy to be released into the midfield.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Don't worry about Armo.
I spoke to him at the Mackay AFL GF this year;(Nth Mackay SAINTS smashed Whitsunday Sea Eagles. WOOHOO!!); and he's a very switched-on young man.
He is genuinely excited to be at St.Kilda.
He is well aware of what is required of him in order to cement a spot in our best 22 (Primarily fitness/endurance in his case).
He was looking forward to a big pre-season in order to improve himself as an AFL footballer.
Davo should do alright in '08.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
eppo67
Club Player

Spot on BakesFan. Know numerous people at Morningside and they say exactly the same thing.

Saw him play numerous times for Moringside, tough, skillful, smart and taking on big grown men full on witout a single sidewards step.

Do not worry this kid he will be a gun. I have no doubt. Mark it down right now!!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Armitage is just taking his turn as the saints fans whipping boy. Those who have had a turn at being the whipping boy include;

Max Hudghton

Lenny Hayes

Nick DalSanto

Xavier Clarke

Leigh Montagna

Brendon Goddard

There are probably a few more that I cannot think of at the minute.

The common theme with all of these guys is that the came into the system as 17-18yo's and took at least 2-3 years to really shine through. The best advice for all of us is to be patient !!

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

i'll add gram to that loist for you eastern

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Yup agreed Eastern, except I must admit I am very dissapointed with McEvoy and Connors so far. Haven't looked like playing a seniors game so far, while the guy we took at #57 has played well over 200. What were our recruiters thinking :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
spiral2
Club Player

add sam fisher too

Solar
Saintsational Legend

to be fair eastern he was very disapointing overall for the scorps during 2007. His endurance and attitude were shocking from my observations. Has all the tools and perhaps some of us are still haunted with the specture of beetham......

anyway on the OP

Lovely long left footer, good strong body and does not shy away from the hard stuff. As everyone says, needs to improve his fitness to get to more contests. My hopes are he gets his fitness up to above VFL level and push for selection. Might not be a prominant part of the team until 2009, not that there is anything wrong with that.

The ones I can see as bolters from that draft are the rookies geary and eddy. Both might push for midfield roles off the bench

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

From the limited amount I have seen of him he loves to run down the centre and give it a big boot into the forward line, doesn't usually like to mess around with it and he doesn't mind taking his opponent on either, still a fair bit to go before he will reach anything special IMO, but then again I have only seen about 5 games...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Sorry Animal Enclosure you can't have Gram in the midfield.
I know he is not suited to playing as a defender - he is often outmarked by an opponent. He is played in defence because he is the most accurate kick in the team and that means he has to be the designated kicker. He has to be close to the the opposition goal so that he can quickly take the kick-in after the oppostion scores a behind. The kick-in must be marked otherwise the opposition has a good chance of another score. Max can't take the kick-ins because he hits the target only 50% of the time.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

surely there's someone else who can take the kick ins.

personally i'd like to see grammy playing wing where his ability to boot goals from outside 50 would really come into play.

Batnoe

ace wrote:Sorry Animal Enclosure you can't have Gram in the midfield.
I know he is not suited to playing as a defender - he is often outmarked by an opponent. He is played in defence because he is the most accurate kick in the team and that means he has to be the designated kicker. He has to be close to the the opposition goal so that he can quickly take the kick-in after the oppostion scores a behind. The kick-in must be marked otherwise the opposition has a good chance of another score. Max can't take the kick-ins because he hits the target only 50% of the time.

Problem solved

Dont let the other team score and we wont need a player to kick it in. If only it were that simple

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I would rather Dal Santo, Goddard or even maybe Dempster take the kick ins over Gram, you don't keep a player in defense just for their kick ins, if he is that good a kick why not chuck him in the forward line :roll: :roll: :roll:

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

no reason not to have gram in the midfield, in fact he played there during this past season (ok more a HFF/wing position but lets not get too pedantic). We have several players that could take the kick out duties, I can't remember the last time max took a kick out. Chips, BJ, a midfielder etc. have all taken them. In fact dal seems to enjoy it, but does not seem to have a very good record....

FQF
In richo I trust

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
no reason not to have gram in the midfield, in fact he played there during this past season (ok more a HFF/wing position but lets not get too pedantic). We have several players that could take the kick out duties, I can't remember the last time max took a kick out. Chips, BJ, a midfielder etc. have all taken them. In fact dal seems to enjoy it, but does not seem to have a very good record....
Dal seems to be on order to take them, it's not a matter of him getting there first, the other players leave it for him, as for his record I've always thought that he was quite good at the kick ins, however he has always seemed to take a bit too long...

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

The thing with Grammy in the midfield is that he has the legspeed to instantly take our on- ball unit from pedestrian to express. Joey has greatly helped in this regard but if he is shutdown (which clubs are now trying to do weekly) the hardness & creativity of Lenny, Bally, Banger and Dal is adversely affected.

Gram can also kick goals from long range, something that will help with our flooded forward line & also address a long held achilles heel (a midfield that doesn't kick goals).

It may be because Hodge started his apprenticeship as a half back & I really see a resemblance to Armo that I'd like to see him learn his trade in the back half. Gram is dragged too deep these days & I was really disappointed with some of his efforts really deep in defence. I don't really buy the kicking out reasoning given that we have other options and Gram can butcher his short passes on occasion.

We've been crying out for quick tallish mids & we have one who could potentially blossom into a real top liner languishing in a back pocket (where he was for most of 2007).

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
Solar wrote:
Dal seems to be on order to take them, it's not a matter of him getting there first, the other players leave it for him, as for his record I've always thought that he was quite good at the kick ins, however he has always seemed to take a bit too long...
hit the nail on the head, he takes too long, tries to make the pass perfect. Needs to use the ball quickly, first option, in fact this needs to be something written on the training facilities, TAKE THE FIRST OPTION!

FQF
In richo I trust

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: I know he is not suited to playing as a defender - he is often outmarked by an opponent.
Really?

I'd be interested in some sort of stats on this.

I have been very impressed with Gram's ability in one-on-ones - particularly against guys he was outsized against (ie. Scott Lucas).

I haven't seen him outmarked much at all.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

if he hasn't won a brownlow by age 21 we should be looking at the list and wailing about the players we should have drafted. :roll:

its his first year of football, give him a few years FFS.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Dan Warna wrote:its his first year of football, give him a few years FFS.
I agree and the same goes with Brad Howard he needs a couple of summers in the gym to get his body right for AFL football. It is ridiculous how people are saying that they should be delisted after one year.

ben_fff
Club Player

I think the only exceptions to being delisted after one year would be behavior based.

Saints94
SS Life Member

FFS lay off him, he's only been there for 1 year and you're all over him :x

ben_fff
Club Player

homework wrote:FFS lay off him, he's only been there for 1 year and you're all over him :x
who are you talking to?

Saints94
SS Life Member

Dan Warna wrote:if he hasn't won a brownlow by age 21 we should be looking at the list and wailing about the players we should have drafted. :roll:

its his first year of football, give him a few years FFS.
I was talking to Dan here about him not winning the Brownlow by the age of 21!