The Clarke boys ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

The Clarke boys ...

How are X and Raph shaping up this pre-season ?

Are they carrying injuries ?

Will they be ready round 1 ?

Any chance we might get a full season out of them ?

I am still waiting for these guys to play consistently good football. Hope it comes this year.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Clarke boys ...

i heard raph is flying and in the best shape he's ever been.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Also haven't heard any mention of Matthew Ferguson in all the training reports. I have seen him in one or two photos so I know he's there, just doesn't seem to get mentioned.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Clarke boys ...

bigcarl wrote:i heard raph is flying and in the best shape he's ever been.
modified trai ing BUT better than last eyar when he had just had surgery on his back and wasn't even moving much let alone runing and bending.

ferg did full session this morning- including the midfield run and beep test that was described- wasn't up with Eddy but wasn't back with Fizz-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
jill
Club Player

Family friend tells me both boys in great shape - very happy with new fitness staff & can't wait for the season to start! :D

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Great news, looking forward to seeing more of Raph V Freo stuff :D :D

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Great news, looking forward to seeing more of Raph V Freo stuff :D :D
he was fabulous in that game. if he can do that more often we'll have a real gem on our hands

Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

Absolutely,both have injury hit careers to date,we know they both have the talent and silky skills,just need 100% pre seasons and injury free,which hopefully is this year. :D

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

SAINTS LOVE......................SAINTS FOOTY
Batnoe

X is looking bigger in the upper body, which means he may not be as quick, but he would still be quick in short bursts

I just want the flying X back, he hasnt done that in years, ever since Thomas told him to do the team things, he has taken the flair out of his game...

I want their younger brother, if that means they dont have huge years so other teams stay away from him, i would be happy for that. if they set the world on fire, we wont get the 3rd brother

hAyES
Club Player

Not interested in Raph. Way too slow and awkward and can be exploited easily.

X is a very important player for us because even though he's not as quick as he used to be, he's a very good user of the ball. And with our gameplan we need him.

The Peanut
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:X is looking bigger in the upper body, which means he may not be as quick, but he would still be quick in short bursts

I just want the flying X back, he hasnt done that in years, ever since Thomas told him to do the team things, he has taken the flair out of his game...

I want their younger brother, if that means they dont have huge years so other teams stay away from him, i would be happy for that. if they set the world on fire, we wont get the 3rd brother
IMHO - Initially X was an inexperienced slick outside player and he didn't have the AFL experience or the confidence to do what he dreamed of - Then I think it was a combination of trying to live up the toughness relating to his new jumper number and GT expecting more inside work from all of the players that flattened his game temporarily by injuries.

His ongoing injuries forced him to be absent or playing with niggles thus giving many fans plenty of negative fuel to burn at his expense.

Last year week in and week out I saw him putting his body on the line and his big toe if needed, or stretching his index finger to push that ball another centimetre away from opposition players whilst laying on the ground - it was a credit to him ... but strangely enough, apart from the selection committee I sometimes felt that I was the only person in the stands to see it.

X never did have the body type for the same sort of things that a certain tough nugget with a hard helmet had. A few years ago when he continually went in like a kamikaze pilot and was consequently carried off the ground, he usually left us wondering why he did it and will we ever see him again.

:arrow: SKIP THE CRAP
"The long and the short of it is that a little bit of extra weight will be very valuable to him considering the way he is developing his game."

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:

Last year week in and week out I saw him putting his body on the line and his big toe if needed, or stretching his index finger to push that ball another centimetre away from opposition players whilst laying on the ground - it was a credit to him ... but strangely enough, apart from the selection committee I sometimes felt that I was the only person in the stands to see it.
I sometimes wonder if I am watching a differant game to others when I see the % plays. and people can only say "why why why didn't" etc.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:
Batnoe wrote:X is looking bigger in the upper body, which means he may not be as quick, but he would still be quick in short bursts

IMHO - Initially X was an inexperienced slick outside player and he didn't have the AFL experience or the confidence to do what he dreamed of - Then I think it was a combination of trying to live up the toughness relating to his new jumper number and GT expecting more inside work from all of the players that flattened his game temporarily by injuries.

His ongoing injuries forced him to be absent or playing with niggles thus giving many fans plenty of negative fuel to burn at his expense.

X never did have the body type for the same sort of things that a certain tough nugget with a hard helmet had. A few years ago when he continually went in like a kamikaze pilot and was consequently carried off the ground, he usually left us wondering why he did it and will we ever see him again.

:arrow: SKIP THE CRAP
"The long and the short of it is that a little bit of extra weight will be very valuable to him considering the way he is developing his game."
Sensational post Peanut.

And I love "skip the crap".

It should be mandatory for several posters :wink: :)

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:Not interested in Raph. Way too slow and awkward and can be exploited easily.
I think that myself...BUT...I think with a bit of alertness in regards to opposition players around him, he's certainly a magnet with good ball skills. But getting constantly caught with the ball and clumsy turn-overs hasn't won him the most favourable recognition.

Regardless of some of his past efforts I think we'll see greater things from Raph this season and he will silence his critics.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

On X...I liked the way he played last year EXCEPT for his kicking accuracy at goal which should have been much better.

IF he can sort out his kicking I have verey high hopes that he Schneider and Milne can create a truly awesome and dangerous small forward division to perfect compliment our talls of GTrain, Roo and Kosi....

Milne to play permanent FP and X and Schneider to have bursts as mids...

On Raph..as mentioned by others his awareness of where oppostion players including his direct opponent was dreadful last year when he came back. This is to me the number one area that he needs to lift in 2008.
Now some of this may have been simply due to lack of game time and match practice........but also much of it would be due to not concentrating hard enough.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Peanut
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:On X...I liked the way he played last year EXCEPT for his kicking accuracy at goal which should have been much better ...
On Raph..as mentioned by others his awareness of where oppostion players including his direct opponent was dreadful last year when he came back.
Now some of this may have been simply due to lack of game time and match practice........but also much of it would be due to not concentrating hard enough.
... they both lack some confidence ... X is getting better but goal kicking seems to be a big confidence thing for many players.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Raph has not yet adapted to the tempo of the game on thwe big stage... constant injuries have generally prevented him from having a long stretch in the seniors. Any coincidence that his best period for form came when he had that long uninterrupted stretch in thr seniors...

he'll be right when he gets some games under his belt

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Huge fan of X - gave us that added extra pace we sorely lacked which is why he was handy at times cause hes quick enough and not afraid to land a tackle. No Peanut your not the only one to see his % efforts - BUT he does need to learn (which will come in time) when to go in head first or when to play it smarter because he does have a frame that gets injuries.

“Yeah….nah””