Where's Ferguson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

footynut
Club Player

Where's Ferguson

I've been hearing so much about the rookies and players such as Harvey, how noone has mentioned Matt. Ross kept him at the club for some reason, and he has alot of potential; So what could be his role this year? and how's his pre-season going?

Banger2Plugger
Club Player

Sorry, my mistake - saw the subject and thought it was a new where's wally game.

Umm last time I saw the ferg, he was having breakfast with his mates at the Docklands near christmas

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Either breaks out this year or owes the club 12 months of wages. No idea why we kept him; excellent at VFL level, but so was Allan Murray.

In between heights - too short for KPP and too slow for midfield - means he can really only play one spot, and that's as a mobile running, tall defender. Only problem is, with Goddard, Dempster, Gram, L & F Fisher and R Clarke in front of him, his chances look limited.

A shock we kept him, but I hope he gets a chance, proves me wrong, and becomes a player for the future. Wouldn't hold my breath, though.

:shock:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
A shock we kept him, :shock:
From memory I think he already had a contract for next year.....

Also prior to trade week I think that the club would not have expected in it's wildest dreams to have boosted the depth of its list with Schneider, C Gardiner and Dempster (....and yes King too) the three of whom can play in positions that Ferg may have hoped to....ie FP, HFF, HBF, BP

Originally RL may have liked to retain him for at 23 he wasa bit more physically mature than some of the kids...but the pool of "older" recruits now obviates this.

Still the oppourtunity is there for him to shine...but he will have to battle hard as he would now seem to have a huge queue in front of him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

I asked the same question yesterday on another thread as I hadn't heard how he is going. Apparently he's training ok.

Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

I'd still like to see him actually get tried in the position for which he was recruited, as "Forward". We have been crying out for a mid-sized HFF who can mark & kick goals ever since Aaron Hamill could no longer fill that role.

He was an AA U18 Forward, for god's sakes, and I'd just like to see him get an opportunity to at least "audition" for the part and if he fails then we should let him go and try someone else! If he can't fill the HFF (or HBF) position then he is surplus to our needs and should go to another club where he could possibly get a chance to play.

BallBanger
Club Player

I don't disagree with you many times but Everton, but I think you're wrong in your assessment of Ferg.....unless his injuries have slowed him down, he was in the top bracket -pace over 20ms.....
Also only reason he should be delisted is injury curse (good reason) but not ability...
I cannot remember him failing in 1sts even though continually played out of position.
Maybe he should be played fp/ff a positions he impressed recruiters

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:unless his injuries have slowed him down, he was in the top bracket -pace over 20ms.....
I cannot remember him failing in 1sts even though continually played out of position.
Maybe he should be played fp/ff a positions he impressed recruiters
He's never looked particularly fast on match day. He isn't slow, but not fast to the point where it could be considered a strength.

As for failing in the firsts, how about his last game when he was slaughtered by Pettifer?

He was tried as a forward early on and failed. Didn't even cut it at VFL level. His position is as a medium defender. In the AFL he would ideally play on the Corey Jones/Ben Dixon types. Unfortunately for him, we already have S.Fisher, Goddard, L.Fisher, Gram, R.Clarke, Dempster and Gwilt who are all better at doing that than he is. Don't know why he was re drafted in the first place.

He isn't too bad a player, but at St Kilda we don't need him.

BallBanger
Club Player

MSG, i'm not saying he'll be a star but I would at least like to see with full fitness tried for a season...
The words of Sheehan on draft day still ring in my ears "would go 1st round if a bit taller...one of those in between players not unlike Hamill....hard at it leads fast, takes big pack marks and long not always accurate kick who can pinch hit running off half back".
Since then I've always had an interest in him but unfortunately when he comes back and appears to be ready the injury curse hits....
Cannot recall him ever playing on our forward line but I attend most games not all.

Also I have never seen scorps live indicating basic knowledge.

Thomas always put his name up amongst others when sourced for quickish players.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Rickabee wrote:I'd still like to see him actually get tried in the position for which he was recruited, as "Forward". We have been crying out for a mid-sized HFF who can mark & kick goals ever since Aaron Hamill could no longer fill that role.

He was an AA U18 Forward, for god's sakes, and I'd just like to see him get an opportunity to at least "audition" for the part and if he fails then we should let him go and try someone else! If he can't fill the HFF (or HBF) position then he is surplus to our needs and should go to another club where he could possibly get a chance to play.
Thats my wish also - he has decent hands apparently...try him up fwd as a 3rd or 4th option...

“Yeah….nah””
HarveysDeciple

Teflon wrote:
Rickabee wrote:I'd still like to see him actually get tried in the position for which he was recruited, as "Forward". We have been crying out for a mid-sized HFF who can mark & kick goals ever since Aaron Hamill could no longer fill that role.

Thats my wish also - he has decent hands apparently...try him up fwd as a 3rd or 4th option...
was drafted as a forward, and made his debut as one against port down in tassie.
Never played there again though, and might lack necessary pace but worth a crack.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:

They might as well try this in the NAB Cup just to see how he goes as a Forward.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:
was drafted as a forward, and made his debut as one against port down in tassie.
Never played there again though, and might lack necessary pace but worth a crack.
Again will have increased competion in 2008 for this spot with C Gardiner having joined the list.

Plus Schneider likely to take a HF spot.

...and IF King ad or M Gardiner shape up Kosi may be pushed into the forward line......

For those on the fringe 2008 will be the hardest year for many a year...if not ever to make the 22. Competition is going to be fierce IMO.

But yes the NAB is the time when those on the fringe will be given a chance to strut their stuff...vital that they do or they may find themselves cooling their heels in Casey2s!!!
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 18 Jan 2008 2:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I dont care if Ferg was recruited as a ruckman. He is no a backman and he cant get a game there he will not get a game at all. He is not good enough as a forward.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

He was re-recruited last year as a "back-up tall defender" and was not played there. His time is up and i fear he'll just be treading water as a Scorpions player for most of the year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:He was re-recruited last year as a "back-up tall defender" and was not played there. His time is up and i fear he'll just be treading water as a Scorpions player for most of the year.
He did play the last 2 games of the year there and did fair. At the time we had our best sides for the year playing so he is very close. Players do improve and hopefully he will suffer no injuries like he has every other year.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It really is a shame because he is a likely player, and would slot into many other AFL teams, we have a huge surplus of his body type though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:It really is a shame because he is a likely player, and would slot into many other AFL teams, we have a huge surplus of his body type though.
Even though I think he could make it we overate our players. If he was delisted he would not get picked up by any other club so he wouldnt slot into other sides.

BallBanger
Club Player

DeJaVu...i remember the same discussion 2-3 yrs back only the subject was Montagna.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:DeJaVu...i remember the same discussion 2-3 yrs back only the subject was Montagna.
Except Montagna was 20 years old and had played several good games in the seniors, earning himself a RS nomination. It also helps that he plays a position in which we are severely lacking.

Ferguson is 23, hasn't stood out in his senior outings, been delisted once and plays the only position that we have comprehensively covered.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:DeJaVu...i remember the same discussion 2-3 yrs back only the subject was Montagna.
Montagna and Ferguson are the same age. Considering the leaps Joey has taken it is a worry that htis conversation is still going on around Ferguson.

I am frankly amazed he is still on the list, but like all Saints players I dont rate, I hope he proved me wrong.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BallBanger
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Montagna and Ferguson are the same age. Considering the leaps Joey has taken it is a worry that htis conversation is still going on around Ferguson.

I am frankly amazed he is still on the list, but like all Saints players I dont rate, I hope he proved me wrong.
Not necessarily trying to compare as apples but the same members who wanted out for Monty are savagely circling Fergs...

MSG, if my memory is correct (it has not failed me yet) was calling for monty to be traded.

Look, I'm not here to critisize just have my 2 bobs worth....free country and my blood bleeds red/black/white not unlike most on here.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:MSG, if my memory is correct (it has not failed me yet) was calling for monty to be traded.
Your memory has failed you. I have always rated Joey, and I don't think I was even posting here when people wanted him out.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:
BallBanger wrote:MSG, if my memory is correct (it has not failed me yet) was calling for monty to be traded.
Your memory has failed you. I have always rated Joey, and I don't think I was even posting here when people wanted him out.
I trust you MSG :wink: