The lid is off!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

karnak
Club Player

The lid is off!

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted you all to know that i'm calling i early,

Saints to be premiers in 2008, my lid is already off. Being a sainter i'm always optimistic heading into a season but this year its different for me.

I have absolute respect and faith in the management of the club (Ross Lyon especially)

I like the game plan

I feel that missing the finals in 2007 is exactly what we needed and is a real wake up call to the players,

Roo's speech on Trevor Barker night

The players coming back from injury

Injury management.

Raph and X doing a full preseaon (when they click it will be unlike anything we've ever seen)

General list depth and pressure,

A ruck division with 1 certainty (King) a passable back up in Rix and possiblity for huge upside with Gardiner.

A fit and firing Kosi

BJ back (strong for 2nd half of year)

Lenny fit and firing,

Ball fit and firing.

A trade period that I believe was brilliant (only possible because of G's retirement salary cap wise) and addressed 2 major weaknesses another small forward (ability in midfiled allowing Milne to stay forward) and obviously King. Then to get the big G back was an added bonus.

I believe we will see a fitter, hungrier, less injury prone, attacking football side this year.

My only question is will we finish top 4 or top 2?

Carn the Saints for 2008!

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I love your enthusiasm!! :D

I still greatly fear the injury gods though! This is THE key.

Once bitten you know....actually we been bitten last 4 years...

Heres hoping for change on that front!

karnak
Club Player

It has nothing to do with injury gods (except for freak accidents)

but the soft tissue injuries are OUR responsibility, we as supporters need to stop referring to luck and gods as this doesn't help us take ownership and become more responsible.

With the new board of FF it is clear that the St Kilda members are no longer willing to accept bad fortune as an excuse, it is an expectation of ours that this list (inc a Sir Rober Harvey) go on to achieve the ultimate success.

Putting injuries aside though I love it when we see our team go out with thier heads held high and really have a bit of mongrel in them. That is the other part that we lacked last year (excluding some stellar peformances inc R Harvey's 350th at Subi) If we MANAGE the injury curse and are the hungriest team out there then we will win, its as simple as that.

Carn the Saints, (and for christ sake can the season start already)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

karnak wrote:It has nothing to do with injury gods (except for freak accidents)

but the soft tissue injuries are OUR responsibility, we as supporters need to stop referring to luck and gods as this doesn't help us take ownership and become more responsible.
Wise words....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: The lid is off!

karnak wrote:

Ball fit and firing.

!
I like all your pluses...except this one which I am still awaiting the verdict on.

But al in all I am feeling bullish unlike the stockmarket.......but just for now will keep my lid on.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:

Wise words....
crap! At the same time your right, but it DOES have alot to do with luck!

Batnoe

I agree on the term injury gods

However some people or more prone to injuries than others, whether it be their body make up or family genes. I know Kosi has had a lot of bad luck with injuries but the niggling stuff isnt because of footy, it is because he has had growth spurts and his body hasn't been able to keep up which means he is more injury prone

Matt Maguire has always had problems with his shins, when he was drafted it was highlighted that he had problems then. Now we are seeing it with the stress fractures in his foot (not including the broken leg) The only time we have not drafted someone that was a bit iffy was Chris Judd, and look at his first few seasons, you would never have known he had a cloud over his shoulders

I think with the right management a lot of these injuries- soft tissue injuries can be overcome. Not all of them can but a lot of them

Stewie Loewe had the same problems as Kosi early in his career and he went on to play 300+ games. He stuck at it, strengthened where he needed to and his back and upper body were his strong part

During 2000-2002 Rob Harvey's body wasnt right, he should have retired then going by a lot of people. He got his body right, who would know he was 36?

We do need some luck but with the right management we shouldnt get an injury unless it is freakish. And we dont want that

My lid is also off and my pants are also down!!!! they are not coming up until next year. So win the bloody thing

Dal'sGal26
Club Player

karnak wrote:Hey Everyone,

I just wanted you all to know that i'm calling i early,

Saints to be premiers in 2008, my lid is already off. Being a sainter i'm always optimistic heading into a season but this year its different for me.

I have absolute respect and faith in the management of the club (Ross Lyon especially)

I like the game plan

I feel that missing the finals in 2007 is exactly what we needed and is a real wake up call to the players,

Injury management.

Raph and X doing a full preseaon (when they click it will be unlike anything we've ever seen)

A ruck division with 1 certainty (King) a passable back up in Rix and possiblity for huge upside with Gardiner.

A fit and firing Kosi

Lenny fit and firing,

Ball fit and firing.

A trade period that I believe was brilliant (only possible because of G's retirement salary cap wise) and addressed 2 major weaknesses another small forward (ability in midfiled allowing Milne to stay forward) and obviously King. Then to get the big G back was an added bonus.

I believe we will see a fitter, hungrier, less injury prone, attacking football side this year.

I agree entirely!

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Wise words....
crap! At the same time your right, but it DOES have a lot to do with luck!
Or in my my view....incompetence.

Such a sustained run of soft tissue injuries was due to incompetence and not due to a run of bad luck...

linz
Club Player

We have the list to win a flag as long as we keep the majority of our players on the park. Whether it be by luck or good training/rehab management it remains a FACT.

Look at ALL of the Premiership sides over the past 20 years & consider how settled their lists have been. Only the Swans seem to have embraced a scientific approach to keep their players injury free. And now we have their man.

Let's not whinge about our lost opportunities; Let's salivate about what is about to happen.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:I know Kosi has had a lot of bad luck with injuries but the niggling stuff isnt because of footy, it is because he has had growth spurts and his body hasn't been able to keep up which means he is more injury prone
What? Can you give me some medical evidence that indicates that the body isn't able to "keep up" after growth spurts? Or at least a definition of not being able to keep up?

Ruckmen and KPP take longer than mids because they need an extra couple of years on the weights. That is simply so they can hold their ground at senior level.
Matt Maguire has always had problems with his shins, when he was drafted it was highlighted that he had problems then. Now we are seeing it with the stress fractures in his foot (not including the broken leg)
I might be missing something, but I've never heard anything about Maguire having something wrong with his shins, and the stress fractures would be because of the heavy workload put onto his foot after a long lay-off with the broken leg.
During 2000-2002 Rob Harvey's body wasnt right, he should have retired then going by a lot of people. He got his body right, who would know he was 36?
Harvs did his knee. That takes time to get over. But he had a quick rehab and came back with no problems.

I don't think any of our new recruits will make any huge difference, nor will the new fitness manager. 3 of our 4 recruits from trade week could have been picked up with a 5th round+ pick in the draft. Misson should do some good in the long term, but even he has said that it will take time and he's just trying to get the basics down.

Our players are capable of forming a quality team, and our game plan works fairly well when executed properly. But we don't have anything over 5 or 6 other teams at the moment and we'll need a lot of things to go right if we want to have a serious shot at the flag.

We could cop a heap of injuries, Lyon could keep on trying to negate with no focus on scoring and our team morale could drop way down, causing trouble at board level. That is basically what happened last year.

Or, we could have a Geelong 2007 or Sydney 2005 type year and cop no major injuries to decent players, our game plan could work brilliantly, a bunch of fringe players could emerge and become key contributors while our board does everything right.

We came cosest to the second scenario in 2004, and since then we've gradually dropped down until we had a year resembling the first scenario in 2007. Logically, we would keep on dropping away and become a bottom 4 side, but the same thing could have been said about Geelong at the end of 2006.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Forgive me for being devil's advocate (or advocaat, if that's your thing)
karnak wrote:I have absolute respect and faith in the management of the club (Ross Lyon especially). I like the game plan
The gameplan that saw us kick almost the least score out of any team in '07? the gameplan that had the worst I50 conversion rate?
Agree that the disappointment of missing out is a boost to players drive, the extra few weeks of recovery and an early start to the pre-season is better imo.
Contrived and probably not even written by him.
That's a negative, not a positive.
Injury management.
Will see more players miss with 'strains' and 'niggles' than we have ever seen before, for 'precautionary' means, i'm sure.
Doesn't mean X won't kill himself throwing himself at packs in round 1 though. Raph still hasn't shown much.
Depth is one thing, having a good 'best 22' is another.

King is no certainty, Rix can't find the red shiny oval thing, and Gardiner has injury and attitude problems up the wazoo.

A fit and firing Kosi
He was fit through most of 2007 and still wasn't 'firing'. More about confidence than anything.
Would have been leading our B&F when he did his knee last year. Hopefully he can reach 80% of that form again this year.
Lenny fit and firing,
And one year closer to retirement.
Ball fit and firing.
That is debateable, has been on a modified training scheme so far this pre-season, hard to tell where he is at, or where he will be at come round 1.

Hope so!
Top 1 :)
Carn sainters!

(Note that I'm just taking the opposing viewpoint on this, we can't all be wearing rose coloured glasses)

my les foote
Club Player

Way too early for the lid to come off.

I always wait until we have a win on the board which is always after the first intra club game :!:

Win it for HIM!
karnak
Club Player

Hey Otiman,

The thing that continues to amaze me the most is that each and every day you get the courage to get out of bed, because if I felt that way you did I wouldn't bother.

Look up at the ceiling and smile ffs!

Carn the Saints!

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 10:00am, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

My thoughts.....
karnak wrote: I have absolute respect and faith in the management of the club (Ross Lyon especially)

I like the game plan
Why?

I really like Lyon, and loved him as a player. I was really pleased when we picked him ahead of Longmire etc.

However, that enthusiasm has waned pretty quickly. I really don't know what happened last year or so far this year that has anyone enthused about Lyon's coaching ability?
karnak wrote: I feel that missing the finals in 2007 is exactly what we needed and is a real wake up call to the players
This is another popular footy falicy.

Missing the finals rarely does squat to improve the following years performance. It's getting a fit list back the following year that improves the performance. See Geelong last year versus Geelong in 06.
karnak wrote:Roo's speech on Trevor Barker night
Very good to hear. Although as we know, words don't count for much.
karnak wrote:The players coming back from injury
They were coming back from injury last year. And the year before. And the year before that.
karnak wrote:Injury management.
We poached who was considered the best in the business in regards to fitness and injury management (up until the Swans fluked 10 weeks straight without injury). But it didn't help.

Interesting to note Sydney's injuries last year. Hall couldn't run, a few others with soft tissue niggles throughout the year.

According to some, soft tissue injuries are as a result of incomptence - yet in the same same breath we've been brilliant poaching the bloke who couldn't get Hall fit last year?
karnak wrote:Raph and X doing a full preseaon (when they click it will be unlike anything we've ever seen)
Very, very important. Totally agree.
karnak wrote:General list depth and pressure
I don't know how our depth has improved at all. We have trimmed off depth players, and picked up discards from other clubs.

12 months ago we were apparently off the rails cause we were recruiting rejects from other clubs. Now suddenly it's genius to pick up players that other club's don't want? I don't understand how that improves our depth at all.
karnak wrote:A ruck division with 1 certainty (King) a passable back up in Rix and possiblity for huge upside with Gardiner.
King was a good pickup in my view. Certainly worth the risk. Rix is barely passable.
karnak wrote:A fit and firing Kosi
Fingers crossed - as long as we don't waste him forward where he struggles, he should be ready for a big year.
karnak wrote:BJ back (strong for 2nd half of year)
Wouldn't count on BJ offering much this year. Although his style of game probably leans better towards a quicker on-field recovery then others.
karnak wrote:Lenny fit and firing,
Crucial. Most important player we have.
karnak wrote:Ball fit and firing.
Crucial - although I'm not convinced we'll actually see him fit and firing.
karnak wrote:A trade period that I believe was brilliant (only possible because of G's retirement salary cap wise) and addressed 2 major weaknesses another small forward (ability in midfiled allowing Milne to stay forward) and obviously King. Then to get the big G back was an added bonus.
I think Brilliant is a bit over the top. We picked up rejects. Albeit they didn't cost us much.
karnak wrote:I believe we will see a fitter, hungrier, less injury prone, attacking football side this year.
Fiiter, hungrier and mroe attacking than when? Last year? F***, I'd certainly hope so. Where is it going to come from? Not sure. Why wasn't it there last year? Not sure.
karnak wrote:My only question is will we finish top 4 or top 2?
Either would surprise me.

Batnoe

mad saint guy wrote:
Batnoe wrote:I know Kosi has had a lot of bad luck with injuries but the niggling stuff isnt because of footy, it is because he has had growth spurts and his body hasn't been able to keep up which means he is more injury prone
What? Can you give me some medical evidence that indicates that the body isn't able to "keep up" after growth spurts? Or at least a definition of not being able to keep up?

Ruckmen and KPP take longer than mids because they need an extra couple of years on the weights. That is simply so they can hold their ground at senior level.
Matt Maguire has always had problems with his shins, when he was drafted it was highlighted that he had problems then. Now we are seeing it with the stress fractures in his foot (not including the broken leg)
I might be missing something, but I've never heard anything about Maguire having something wrong with his shins, and the stress fractures would be because of the heavy workload put onto his foot after a long lay-off with the broken leg.
Harvs did his knee. That takes time to get over. But he had a quick rehab and came back with no problems.

I don't think any of our new recruits will make any huge difference, nor will the new fitness manager. 3 of our 4 recruits from trade week could have been picked up with a 5th round+ pick in the draft. Misson should do some good in the long term, but even he has said that it will take time and he's just trying to get the basics down.

Our players are capable of forming a quality team, and our game plan works fairly well when executed properly. But we don't have anything over 5 or 6 other teams at the moment and we'll need a lot of things to go right if we want to have a serious shot at the flag.

We could cop a heap of injuries, Lyon could keep on trying to negate with no focus on scoring and our team morale could drop way down, causing trouble at board level. That is basically what happened last year.

Or, we could have a Geelong 2007 or Sydney 2005 type year and cop no major injuries to decent players, our game plan could work brilliantly, a bunch of fringe players could emerge and become key contributors while our board does everything right.

We came cosest to the second scenario in 2004, and since then we've gradually dropped down until we had a year resembling the first scenario in 2007. Logically, we would keep on dropping away and become a bottom 4 side, but the same thing could have been said about Geelong at the end of 2006.

On kosi, it had taken him almost 2 seasons to get his body right. From his debut season, his head injury was freak but his back was growth spurts. I never said he would come back, look at my comment re stewie loewe, similar injury and came back. So i didnt say he would never come back

matt Maguire had iffy shins when we drafted him, look it up...I can guarentee this

I know Harvey did his Knee, but after that he had a run of soft tissue injuries, every third week he was out, especially with his calf- maybe it was 2003- 2004

The Peanut
Club Player

My lid is a bit wobbly ... an Eddies fan wanted to bet me whether we would make the eight and with a few drinks under my belt I pushed it up to whether we make the top two - There are too many if's and but's for me to take the big plunge ... but I am ashamed - I am all for the power of positive thinking as I am one of those head in clouds arty farty types

asiu

I am all for the power of positive thinking as I am one of those head in clouds arty farty types

you could always run with the 'we are cursed crowd '

:evil:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I am all for the power of self-criticism as I am one of those nose-to-the-grindstone realistic types.

Geelong took a good, hard look at themselves last year, called a spade a spade, and did the hard yards.

Naval gazing is pretty useless when there's hard work and solid planning to be done.

"We're going to win the premiership" - Peter Schwab, January 2004.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Love your optimism Karnak. My lid has been slightly loosened. I have the socket set out and am looking for the right size socket.
BJ, Raph, X, Bally, Milne/Schneider, even King are maybe's not lid busters at this point.
Game plan, ummm, I agree with Rodger. Our scoring power and conversion rate were awful last year. Remains to be seen if it's any different this year.
So bring on the lid lifting, but early days yet.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

Naval gazing is pretty useless when there's hard work and solid planning to be done.

Well at least we are a seaside club...

Sorry...could not resist :wink: Back to my glass house now though.....

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Well at least we are a seaside club...

Sorry...could not resist :wink: Back to my glass house now though.....
Haha...sounds like something out of Saints Disco, when navel gazing really was an issue this club needed to address :D

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

lots of "ifs and buts" .. here's hoping you are right !!! :lol:

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

the lid is never off when you support st.kilda, but i am optimistic that we will go ok this season.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best